Recent Comments

SportsFilter: The Friday Huddle

Why, Victor, why?

posted by rcade at 09:38 PM on July 29

NBA Players Assocation votes unanimously to fund health insurance for retired players

The article does not say whether or not the NBA is providing any funding to support the plan. If they are not, then it is strictly an NBPA function. This is similar to what many, if not most, unions provide for their members. My wife's health insurance is through the Teachers' Union, for example. If the league itself has no responsibility for the plan, then comparing the NBA players action to whatever the NFL as a league does is not valid. I would suggest the NFLPA set up its own retiree health insurance plan and hold the owners up for as large a contribution to the plan as they can get.

posted by Howard_T at 03:31 PM on July 29

Really liking the lead the NBA players have been taking on stuff like this. Can't wait to hear the NFL's reasons for not doing the same, something along the lines of "When you have 12 guys on a team, it's easy . . . "

posted by yerfatma at 01:28 PM on July 29

Remembering Amare as He Might Have Been

Oh, man. Yeah, I went to the Nash's first game back against the Mavs in '04 and he got a huge standing ovation from the Dallas crowd. But as the game progressed and it got really competitive, it turned into "holy crap, this team is dangerously good". That '05 series the Suns had against the Spurs was incredible.

He only had a cup of coffee playing for the Mavs last year (23 games), but even then, coming off the bench, you could still see how gifted he is. I have a lot of respect for that dude.

posted by Ufez Jones at 10:29 AM on July 29

Saskatchewan by 8
Calgary by 7
Ottawa by 10

posted by DrJohnEvans at 09:42 AM on July 29

SportsFilter: The Thursday Huddle

A long read but an important one on sports governance, from the local amateur club all the way to professionals and TV deals. Author Gideon Haigh focuses on Australia, so you might not get some of the references, but I found this essay to reflect a lot of my feelings about sport and society, especially in relation to the times I've been involved in sports administration.

posted by owlhouse at 11:05 PM on July 28

Remembering Amare as He Might Have Been

Nice read. I remember expecting Stoudamire to be a giant after he and Steve Nash beat my Dallas Mavericks in the Western semis that 2005 season. 28.8 points a game and 12.5 rebounds.

posted by rcade at 07:48 PM on July 28

SportsFilter: The Thursday Huddle

Brett Favre has picked his wife Deanna to introduce his induction speech at the Hall of Fame this year. It's only the second time a spouse has done that, following Mike Singletary's wife Kim in 1998.

posted by rcade at 07:10 PM on July 28

Edmonton by 3

Calgary by 3

Ottawa by 4

Saskatchewan by 3

posted by JPR at 07:05 PM on July 28

Edmonton by 7

Montreal by 3

Calgary by 12

posted by rcade at 06:38 PM on July 28

To whom it may concern:

I am not now, nor have I ever been, ic23b or bender. I do not aspire to be either. If ic23b and bender wish to be me (and I'm sure it is among their most deeply held desires), they must ask me nicely. I will probably refuse, but I will definitely feel more favorably disposed to them. In the meantime, Dr. John, I ask that you immediately cease and desist from the identity theft which you apparently are promoting. My legal counsel, the firm Garron, Brom, and Cree, tells me that you could be in serious trouble. Of course I pay them off in kitty treats and catnip, so all they usually tell me is "meow".

Enough of a nonsensical rant. On with the picks.

Winnipeg at Edmonton: This one is for bragging rights between Alberta and Manitoba. This New Englander does not know if there is anything worth bragging about in either province. Well, there is oil in the tar sands of Alberta, that's not bad. Reason enough to pick Edmonton by 11

Saskatchewan at Montreal: The Rough Riders (were they really named after Teddy Roosevelt's cavalry regiment?) come to the big city. There they will be attacked by a flock of little birds. Sometimes the least of creatures will overcome the greater. Montreal by 6

British Columbia at Calgary: BC is in Canada because the US decided that "54-40 or Fight" was really a lousy slogan for a war. Canada (actually, still an English colony at the time), in the meantime, wanted to slide the border down to the Columbia River. The 49th parallel was the compromise, mainly because it is easier to score 49 than 54. BC Lions go to the city whose name either means "Cold Garden", "Clear Running Water", or "Bay Farm". If you can't figure that out, how do you expect to win a football game? Somehow they do, and the invading Lions are tamed. Calgary by 9

Toronto at Ottawa: The sailors of myth look for a golden fleece in the National Capitol. They might find it, but it will be a piece of red and black checked wool. Ottawa by 17

posted by Howard_T at 05:16 PM on July 28

Edmonton by 10

Saskatchewan by 4

BC by 3

Ottawa by 9

posted by Reever at 12:06 PM on July 28

CFL Pick 'Em, Week Six

Ohhhh it's even worse than I thought. Instead of copying my Week 3 spreadsheet, I overwrote it with Week 4. No wonder nothing adds up.

I'll have to recreate it. May take a couple of days but I'll get the standings corrected in time for next week.

posted by DrJohnEvans at 11:58 AM on July 28

CFL Pick 'Em, Week Six

Hmm, this is a bigger issue than I thought. It looks like I copied over the "last week points" column incorrectly - 2 weeks ago. Fixing.

posted by DrJohnEvans at 11:47 AM on July 28

edy by 9

sask by 2

cal by 5

ott by 9

posted by argoal at 10:44 AM on July 28

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

@sbacharach Sorry, wouldn't be at that game if I lived next door to the stadium :) However I will be at the Liverpool - AC Milan game at Levi's Stadium this Saturday in Santa Clara.

posted by billsaysthis at 10:33 AM on July 28

CFL Pick 'Em, Week Six

Whoa, yeah, it looks like I mixed up some usernames on last week's standings. Somehow I switched around ic23b, bender, and Howard_T.

This week's standings are correct. But I'll fix last week's and post an update in that thread.

posted by DrJohnEvans at 10:22 AM on July 28

Edmonton by 3

Montreal by 2

Calgary by 7

Ottawa by 10

posted by jagsnumberone at 01:52 AM on July 28

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

I didn't think non-Australians knew about that. It drives me up the wall.

posted by owlhouse at 12:28 AM on July 28

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

Shouldn't that be "Yeah no, Nah? Yeah."?

posted by Mr Bismarck at 10:17 PM on July 27

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

If you head out to the footy one night, you don't expect to come back with $100,000.

Nah? Yeah.

posted by owlhouse at 09:42 PM on July 27

Edmonton by 10

Saskatchewan by 3

Calgary by 14

Ottawa by 8

posted by ic23b at 05:02 PM on July 27

CFL Pick 'Em, Week Six

I'm confused (which is easy to do) Last week rcade and I had 14 total points, I scored 7 points and rcade scored 4 points, but the total points now are ic23b 15 points and rcade 14 points. I see most of the total points for everyone doesn't seem to add up from last week. Am I missing something?

posted by ic23b at 04:51 PM on July 27

Edmonton by 13

Montreal by 6

Calgary by 7

Ottawa by 8

posted by cixelsyd at 04:35 PM on July 27

Edmonton by 23

Montreal by 11

Calgary by 15

Ottawa by 13

posted by tommytrump at 03:12 PM on July 27

CFL Pick 'Em, Week Six

Bo Levi Mitchell looked like his old self as the Stamps cruised to victory over the Bombers. Mitchell Gale looks promising as the 'Riders just barely squeak by the Redblacks. A huge comeback in Edmonton: down 31-6 in the third quarter, Hamilton scores 31 unanswered points to shock the Eskimo faithful. Here in Toronto, a swirling 5 km/h wind gave the kickers fits (0/5 combined) as Toronto overcomes some early nerves to get the job done.

CGY @ WPGOTT @ SSKHAM @ EDMMTL @ TOR
ResultCalgary by 15Saskatchewan by 1Hamilton by 6Toronto by 13
Margin of Error11 to 201 to 14 to 89 to 17

How 'bout this: TWO seven point weeks. ic23b jumps into first place, while tahoemoj jumps right into contention.

SpoFiteCGY @ WPGSOTT @ SSKSHAM @ EDMSMTL @ TORSPointsTotal Points
ic23bCalgary12 Hamilton6 Toronto10715
rcadeCalgary 6 Toronto10414
benderCalgary Saskatchewan Toronto10413
tommytrumpCalgary12 Toronto 312
tahoemojCalgary12 Hamilton6 Toronto10710
Howard_T Toronto1429
jagsnumberone Toronto1128
Reever 6Toronto 28
cixelsydCalgary Hamilton Toronto 38
MrFrisbyCalgary11 Hamilton5 48
argoalCalgary Toronto 26
JPRCalgary Toronto 26
DrJohnEvans Hamilton 14

It's Simcoe Day and a long weekend, but apparently somebody told the CFL that the holiday Monday was last week. Ol' J.G. must be spinning in his chapel.

WEEK 6

Winnipeg @ Edmonton (Thursday, July 28)
Winnipeg came into the season as a sexy pick to come out of the west, but have not lived up to their billing. They're going to have to win a couple of games to get out of DrJohnEvans' Underdog Doghouse (DUD). Okay, maybe the acronym is a bit harsh.

Saskatchewan @ Montreal (Friday, July 29)
Battle of the basements! Saskatchewan has been bad. Montreal has been awful: they're averaging fewer than 15 points a game. That's not going to get it done in the CFL.

B.C. @ Calgary (Friday, July 29)
An early tilt for the division lead. Both team's QBs have been rounding into form: Bo-Levi Mitchell is throwing well for the Stampeders, and apparently the Lions' quarterback is named "Jonathan Jennings", which is obviously a witness-protection pseudonym.

Toronto @ Ottawa (Sunday, July 31)
Speaking of quarterbacks, are you excited for the heavyweight matchup of Brock Jensen vs Logan Kilgore? Hooooo boy.

Good luck!

posted by DrJohnEvans at 01:07 PM on July 27

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

billysaythis: Still attending this Sunday's Arsenal/Chivas game in Carson? I'll be there with a friend and my two sons. Let me know if you want to hook up for a drink ahead of kickoff: sbacharach71@yahoo.com

Sorry to post this in this thread - couldn't figure out another way.

posted by sbacharach at 11:04 AM on July 27

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

If you haven't gotten your emails, the EPL Fantasy League is back. Can whoever is the league owner (@rcade?) post the code to rejoin?

FYI the web app has been modernized and I can't say I like all of the, er, updates.

posted by billsaysthis at 10:37 AM on July 27

SportsFilter: The Tuesday Huddle

Are you posting from the DNC server?

That information is released on a need to know basis only.........Comrade.

posted by tommytrump at 07:59 PM on July 26

SportsFilter: The Tuesday Huddle

Tommy, I think you've got good reason to be concerned about the Upton change, but if autocorrect happens to convert "Rim or Nutsack" into "Rick Santorum", then I would say you're in good shape.

Are you posting from the DNC server?

posted by beaverboard at 07:56 PM on July 26

SportsFilter: The Tuesday Huddle

Larry Yount.

At least the other guys got to taste it! And then to watch his snot nosed little brother go and make the Hall of Fame.

I feel the worst for Larry.

posted by cl at 07:54 PM on July 26

SportsFilter: The Tuesday Huddle

Melvin Upton will complement' Blue Jays lineup, Atkins says

Not really that newsworthy a transaction, but I texted a friend this morning to pass along the news, and Autocorrect changed "Upton" to "Putin" twice.

Any reason to be worried?

posted by tommytrump at 05:17 PM on July 26

SportsFilter: The Tuesday Huddle

all the more impressive for only recording 2 outs in the 1st

Damn it!

I don't know why I dropped the ---END OF INNING-- after the first groundout. It should obviously be after the second one:

Single
Single
Walk
Home run
Double (advanced to third on groundout)
Strikeout
Groundout
Walk (stole 2nd)
Single
Groundout
---END OF INNING---
Groundout
Single
Single
Homer
--PULLED--

(I bolded the baserunners that scored, in case there was confusion)

posted by grum@work at 04:01 PM on July 26

SportsFilter: The Tuesday Huddle

I'm going to vote for Ron Wright, but that is a solid effort by Mike Mayers (all the more impressive for only recording 2 outs in the 1st). Can someone build a baseball field in a cornfield in Iowa so "Moonlight" Heitman can get one more shot at glory?

posted by bender at 03:33 PM on July 26

SportsFilter: The Tuesday Huddle

Worst MLB Debut Contest! Who had it worse?

Ron Wright - April 14, 2002: In his debut, and only appearance in the majors, he struck out, hit into a triple-play, and then hit into a double-play. Three plate appearances producing six outs.

Adam Greenberg - July 9, 2005 - In his debut, he was hit in the head with the first pitch he ever faced in the majors. It almost killed him, and he didn't make it back to the majors for another 7 years, and then only as a late season promotional stunt by the Florida Marlins.

Mike Mayers - July 24, 2016 - In his debut as an emergency starting pitcher (due to a rain out earlier in the week and an extra-inning game the night before), his appearance went like this:

Single
Groundout
Single
Single
Homer
--PULLED--

A final line of : 1 1/3 IP, 8 H, 2 BB, 9 ER

Harry Heitman - July 27, 1918 - In his debut, he allowed all four batters he faced to reach base, and score, before being pulled. He has an infinite ERA as he immediately retired from MLB and joined the Army to go fight in WWI.

Larry Yount - September 15, 1971 - In his debut, he was brought in as a relief pitcher. During his warm-ups, he injured his arm, and was pulled from the game. He never pitched in the majors again.

posted by grum@work at 02:38 PM on July 26

SportsFilter: The Sunday Huddle

If only there had been a mature friend who could have talked Sale down. Too bad they kicked Adam LaRoche's kid out of the clubhouse.

If Trader Dave Dombrowski swaps either or both of the Red Sox top prospects for this meatstick I am going to upper deck his office toilet.

posted by yerfatma at 04:11 PM on July 25

The NBA officially pulls the 2017 All-Star Game from Charlotte, NC

I would generally rather watch just about any sport in the world rather than basketball; it just doesn't appeal to me as a game. Yet, I suddenly find myself becoming a fan of the NBA.

And what grum, tommytrump, NoMich, and billsaysthis said.

posted by tahoemoj at 12:37 PM on July 25

SportsFilter: The Sunday Huddle

It's amazing how often one's best option isn't stabbing.

posted by Etrigan at 07:11 AM on July 25

SportsFilter: The Sunday Huddle

Chris "Scratch and Dent" Sale enacts his own version of garment rending.

Thereby doing a tremendous service to humanity. The Sox had to go to a Plan B and busted out their second ugliest throwback unis (the Beach Blanket ensembles). By that point, Sale was already out of the clubhouse and couldn't trash those as well.

This screws up opponents scouting reports. Now they'll have to factor in that Sale has added a mean cutter to his repertoire.

posted by beaverboard at 10:26 PM on July 24

The NBA officially pulls the 2017 All-Star Game from Charlotte, NC

I'm always glad for these threads and their way of showing me how tenuous our grasp on civilization really is.

posted by Etrigan at 06:09 PM on July 24

The NBA officially pulls the 2017 All-Star Game from Charlotte, NC

As for the issue, I am one who believes gender dysphoria is natural, something with which one is born. Is transitioning a "choice?" I'd say yes given the other option often is suicide. This law had nothing to do with "religious freedom" or keeping straight men, dressed as women, from raping females in women's rooms (media outlets have searched nationally and have found less than 5 cases in nearly a decade) - it simply was another state passing another anti-LGBT law, but it needed other stuff to make it not look like an anti-LGBT law ...

... thus, what owlhouse has posted should scare the hell out of North Carolina residents for it means that the state government can override anything that displeases them. Taking away a person's right to access the courts also may be considered unconstitutional in the federal sense.

Also, since it was addressed: corporations are people (the U.S. Supreme Court affirmed it) and the NBA is a corporation. If you believe this was a political action, the NBA's being upfront is better than many corporations who use "shell" organizations and political-action committees to express their opinion.

Sorry if I've gone overly political, but I don't know how this subject could be addressed without a political angle.

posted by jjzucal at 04:46 PM on July 24

SportsFilter: The Saturday Huddle

Kendra Harrison breaks 100m hurdles record, which is older than she is.

posted by Etrigan at 11:28 AM on July 23

SportsFilter: The Saturday Huddle

Any of my fellow SpoFites going to tomorrow's Liverpool FC open training session at Stanford, or to next weekend's LFC v. AC Milan match at Levi's?

John Oliver on why you should f'ing go.

posted by billsaysthis at 10:43 AM on July 23

SportsFilter: The Saturday Huddle

Wow, good for him.

posted by billsaysthis at 10:39 AM on July 23

SportsFilter: The Saturday Huddle

Gators LB Cristian Garcia helps stop sexual assault behind bar

posted by bender at 10:37 AM on July 23

Ottawa by 10 Hamilton by 6 Toronto by 10

posted by tahoemoj at 08:54 PM on July 22

CFL Pick 'Em, Week Five

Oh well, another Thursday goes by without my remembering to make my picks. My excuse this time was that I spent most of the day writing my feedback on the performance of our church and its clergy during the past year. We do this every year and use the results at our annual Vestry Retreat to address things that might not be going quite right or need some improvement. It keeps us on the right track. There's a lot more to running a fairly large Episcopal parish than most realize.

Now for the picks:

The Rouge et Noir take on the Roughriders in their own corral. I cannot see the horse abusers doing much to the checkered shirt guys. Ottawa by 12

Tigercats take on Eskimos this week. All I can say is that they aren't the Hamilton Snow Leopards. Edmonton by 8

The two big cities of the east clash beside the lake. Little Larks and the mythical sailors both have suffered adversity, but Montreal looks like the poorer team. Toronto by 14

posted by Howard_T at 06:05 PM on July 22

SportsFilter: The Friday Huddle

Former NFL coach Dennis Green dies at 67

I wonder if, upon his admission through the Pearly Gates, Dennis Green turned to St. Peter and said, "It is what I thought it was."

Saw a bit of the ESPN item on Sports Center, and his impact upon increasing the number of black coaches in the NFL was significant. It is one of the things I did not know about Green. It is something that ought to be more widely known.

posted by Howard_T at 05:49 PM on July 22

SportsFilter: The Friday Huddle

Former NFL coach Dennis Green dies at 67

posted by MeatSaber at 11:34 AM on July 22

CFL Pick 'Em, Week Five

Winnipeg will never win again.

posted by DrJohnEvans at 10:42 AM on July 22

SportsFilter: The Friday Huddle

There's a Kessel at the vessel.

posted by beaverboard at 09:25 AM on July 22

The NBA officially pulls the 2017 All-Star Game from Charlotte, NC

"The act also prohibits municipalities in North Carolina from enacting anti-discrimination policies,setting a local minimum wage, regulating child labor, or making certain regulations for city workers. The legislation also removes the statutory and common-law private right of action to enforce state anti-discrimination statutes in state courts."

First, they came for the bathrooms...

posted by owlhouse at 11:40 PM on July 21

The NBA officially pulls the 2017 All-Star Game from Charlotte, NC

The law is about more than bathrooms. This is from the text of the law...

It is the public policy of this State to protect and safeguard the right and opportunity of all persons to seek, obtain and hold employment without discrimination or abridgement on account of race, religion, color, national origin, age, biological sex or handicap by employers which regularly employ 15 or more employees.

"Biological sex" is defined in the law as the sex on a person's birth certificate. So if someone identifies as the opposite sex, up to and including going through gender reassignment surgery, they are not under the protections that this law provides. This is the point everyone has a problem with, and why the NBA is pulling out now...

posted by MeatSaber at 10:50 PM on July 21

The NBA officially pulls the 2017 All-Star Game from Charlotte, NC

I'm still trying to figure out how a law that says you don't get to pick what gender you are when you wake up in the morning can even be considered controversial, let alone reason to boycott anything. But such are the times we live in.

posted by TheQatarian at 10:24 PM on July 21

The NBA officially pulls the 2017 All-Star Game from Charlotte, NC

I was kind of on the fence about ordering League Pass this year. I don't have cable and I have no local team, so I really miss watching basketball outside of the holiday/playoff games on ABC.

This decision may have won me over. And if I decide to do so, I fully intend to let them know that this was a part of the reason why.

posted by Ufez Jones at 10:10 PM on July 21

The NBA officially pulls the 2017 All-Star Game from Charlotte, NC

Hey JohnSoCal, do you leave the politics to the politicians? Clearly not, and plenty of businesses do the same because they're made up of people who have opinions on things. Sorry if this particular business decision isn't what you'd like but I'm guessing there are plenty which do.

And what NoMich said.

posted by billsaysthis at 09:26 PM on July 21

What tommytrump said

posted by NoMich at 07:22 PM on July 21

What grum said.

posted by tommytrump at 07:17 PM on July 21

The NBA officially pulls the 2017 All-Star Game from Charlotte, NC

The NBA should do whatever they want.

posted by grum@work at 07:10 PM on July 21

The NBA officially pulls the 2017 All-Star Game from Charlotte, NC

The NBA should stick to basketball and leave the politics to the politicians.

posted by JohnSoCal at 07:03 PM on July 21

cal by 6

ott by 12

edy by 5

argos by 5

posted by argoal at 10:14 AM on July 21

SportsFilter: The Thursday Huddle

Russian athletes are not going on the Pablo Cruise this summer.

posted by beaverboard at 09:24 AM on July 21

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

Be sure to catch my speech at Quicken Loans Arena late tonight. Leading off with an original sports-related motivational thought that occurred to me out of the blue earlier today:

"If you have everything under control, you're not moving fast enough".

posted by beaverboard at 10:16 PM on July 20

Sport and the Olympics: A Lament

Great read, thanks owlie.

posted by holden at 10:14 PM on July 20

Swedish professional skiier Matilda Rapaport passes away after being caught in an avalanche

posted by BornIcon at 03:19 PM on July 20

Calgary by 10

Ottawa by 10

Hamilton by 13

Toronto by 7

posted by cixelsyd at 11:49 PM on July 19

CFL Pick 'Em, Week Five

Last week was all about comebacks. Toronto jumps out to a big lead, but fades away quickly at the Redblacks complete the comeback. Edmonton is shut out in the first quarter, but elbows their way back into it to edge the Bombers. Hamilton is also held pointless for the first fifteen, but then scores a whole bunch, while B.C. weathers a tough first half and comes back in style.

OTT @ TOREDM @ WPGHAM @ MTLBC @ SSK
ResultOttawa by 10Edmonton by 4Hamilton by 24B.C. by 13
Margin of Error7 to 133 to 517 to 319 to 17

rcade and Howard_T both miss the Thursday games, but then nail the B.C. win to hang on. ic23b was threatening, too - one fewer Lions rouge and you're laughing all the way to the bank1.

1. The Bank of First Place in Week 5 of a No-Money CFL Pick 'Em

tahoemojOttawa7 Hamilton B.C.1258
Reever Edmonton Hamilton 28
MrFrisby Edmonton Hamilton B.C. 37
argoal Edmonton3Hamilton 37
cixelsyd Edmonton 16
DrJohnEvansOttawa12 Hamilton 36

The dart-throwing schedule monkey has granted Toronto a full eleven days between games. I hope they're not playing on Tuesday in Week 6.

WEEK 5

Calgary @ Winnipeg (Thursday, July 21)
Calgary's in a holding pattern, relying on their defence while waiting for their offence to kick in. But Winnipeg? They just haven't been getting it done. Dropping to 1-4 could mean a whole new set of changes for them.

Ottawa @ Saskatchewan (Friday, July 22)
Saskatchewan isn't as bad as they were last year. But so far, they're still pretty bad.

Hamilton @ Edmonton (Saturday, July 23)
Here's a nice one. Two teams playing slightly under expectations, looking to grab a share of first with a win. Bonus for Hamilton: a first win outside the division would go a long way to establishing their credentials.

Montreal @ Toronto (Monday, July 25)
Montreal is bad. Even Toronto should be able to beat them. So, expect a nailbiter.

Good luck!

posted by DrJohnEvans at 09:47 PM on July 19

SportsFilter: The Monday Huddle

Aliens love cycling too!

posted by billsaysthis at 10:40 AM on July 19

SportsFilter: The Monday Huddle

Demba Ba suffered a Theismann-like leg break in China's Super League.

I was expecting a hard feet-first tackle, or someone falling onto his leg after jumping for a header, but that's such an innocent looking collision that it took me a second (stomach-churning) viewing to even see where the contact occurred.

posted by grum@work at 09:40 PM on July 18

SportsFilter: The Monday Huddle

Mowed into someone's field during the Tour today.

posted by Mr Bismarck at 08:28 PM on July 18

SportsFilter: The Monday Huddle

Demba Ba suffered a Theismann-like leg break in China's Super League.

posted by rcade at 08:13 PM on July 18

SportsFilter: The Sunday Huddle

What a classic extended duel that was. The final putt was an awesome capstone.

A lot of golf dreamers would want to be part of something like that. One hombre would have been happy just getting to carry a bag.

posted by beaverboard at 03:09 PM on July 17

SportsFilter: The Sunday Huddle

If you told Mickelson that he'd go into the final round of the Open Championship, trailing the leader by just one stroke, and that he'd shoot -6 for the final round, do you think he'd be happy with that?

And yet, he lost ground and finished 3 strokes back.

posted by grum@work at 01:38 PM on July 17

CFL Pick 'Em, Week Four

Howard and I got the 13-point spread in the B.C. game because of a single!

Condolences to Ic23b and Tahoemoj.

posted by rcade at 12:46 PM on July 17

SportsFilter: The Saturday Huddle

The people of Nebraska really ought to make Beef Johnston an honorary Cornhusker.

Oklahoma could loan Jimmy Walker to England in return.

posted by beaverboard at 09:48 PM on July 16

CFL Pick 'Em, Week Four

There are lessons to be learned here. The first one is to pay attention to the schedule and not wait until Friday morning to make your picks for Wednesday and Thursday. The second is that I know about as much about Canadian Football as I know about how to build an array using ADA. In other words, I know it exists, I know its uses, but anything beyond that is total mystery. So here goes:

Tiger Cats claw their way to a win, although the little lark tries to escape. Hamilton by 6

Cats rule this week. Around my house they rule every day, but that's another story. Lions' ride is not rough. BC by 13

posted by Howard_T at 01:51 PM on July 15

CFL Pick 'Em, Week Four

Hamilton by 3

B.C. by 13

posted by rcade at 12:49 PM on July 15

SportsFilter: The Thursday Huddle

That was how I felt as well, Howard. I would like to see a follow-up interview with the computer. I'm sure when it was just a little CPU it had dreams and they looked nothing like simulating 750 Bartolo Colons. Plus the ones that came up from AAA Colon teams due to injuries and the September call-ups of AAAA Colons who never realized their full potential.

posted by yerfatma at 10:45 AM on July 15

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

When the players your opponent has on the floor each is able to hit a good percentage of their free throws (let's throw 70% as a benchmark), any advantage the fouling team gains is slight. The team being fouled yields the advantage by playing those whose free throw shooting is below par. Playing the game well, at least well enough in one area to deny an advantage, makes rule changes unnecessary.

posted by Howard_T at 06:35 PM on July 14

SportsFilter: The Thursday Huddle

"The League of Extraordinary Bartolo's" Against any common sense, I read this thing from end to end. Amazing! I can somehow in my mind shrink myself into an atom-sized being and creep inside the processor of amazinavenue's computer. I can see the bits, bytes, and words struggling to align themselves into a result for each game. I can see the processor beginning to glow red just before it explodes, spewing images of Bartolo Colon all over the keyboard. Disaster! But oh what fun.

posted by Howard_T at 06:27 PM on July 14

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

Slooow newz...that's why it was announced yesterday that Tom Brady's latest petition to have the deflation case heard by a full panel of judges has been denied and the 4 game suspension stands. Wham, bam, bing, bang, boo...

What, nobody cares about that anymore?

OK, how about the rumor claiming that Garoppolo is being fitted with hidden bionic limb enhancements in a secret underground triage center? And that he's being force fed from the McDaniels Dollar Menu three times a day.

The needle's still not moving? Well, how about those bold new Buffalo helmets and uniforms? Bound to strike fear and consternation into the hearts of any opponent. Oh...that's the...University of Buffalo. Never mind.

posted by beaverboard at 02:37 PM on July 14

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

We care about the NBA summer league!

Hey, as a Celtics fan that's my Dream Time. You take that back.

posted by yerfatma at 02:22 PM on July 14

SportsFilter: The Thursday Huddle

It's like the Vault 108 of sport sims

posted by MeatSaber at 01:17 PM on July 14

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

With the new 4 day break for the All-Star game, we now have today (Thursday) as another hour long sports show that will feature important things like:

- We care about the NBA summer league!
- Silly interviews we've been keeping in reserve!
- Best/worst/weirdest plays of the first half!
- Obscure free agents have been signed in NBA/NHL/NFL!
- Let's speculate about MLB's "second half".

posted by grum@work at 12:04 PM on July 14

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

the ESPYs are always on the day after the MLB All-Star Game...is that because it's the only day where absolutely nothing else is going on in the Big 4?

Yep.

(The day before is the only other day of the year that no MLB, NBA, NFL, or NHL games are played, but the Home Run Derby etc. are typically held.)

posted by Etrigan at 11:58 AM on July 14

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

Cuban's take was for teams not to play someone who can't hit free throws, or for players learn to make free throws. My humble (well, maybe a little humble) opinion is that free throw shooting is an NBA skill. If you don't have it, your team should suffer the consequences.

Take fouls out of the game, then. There should be a very, very small number of times when "committing a foul" or "drawing a penalty" is in any way advantageous to the team/player that's doing it (I'm okay with the occasional intentional penalty in football to back a kick up a little, for instance). Not every damn game.

posted by Etrigan at 11:57 AM on July 14

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

The current rule for away-from-the-play fouls applicable to the last two minutes of the fourth period (and last two minutes of any overtime) pursuant to which the fouled team is awarded one free throw and retains possession of the ball will be extended to the last two minutes of each period.

This is a pretty good rule, actually. Yes, I like it. Maybe that will cut down on the stoppage of play every two freakin' seconds.

posted by NoMich at 08:57 AM on July 14