Recent Comments

B.C. by 12

Winnipeg by 5

Edmonton by 18

Calgary by 10

posted by MrFrisby at 01:17 PM on August 25

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

Wainwright and the other pitchers are standing on the top step of the dugout, while Weaver is one step below...as a rookie should be.

posted by grum@work at 11:37 AM on August 25

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

Its Luke Weaver, who despite the appearance in the gif, is 6'2" and not a gnome. Granted he is standing next to Wainwright (6'7")

posted by umrlax at 11:10 AM on August 25

SportsFilter: The Monday Huddle

Liverpool vs. Derby County in the next round of the League Cup. Will the Reds do the thrashing or will the underdogs prey on our inconsistency to dump us out???

posted by billsaysthis at 10:58 AM on August 25

CFL Pick 'Em, Week Ten

ott by 5

mont by 3

edy by 13

hami by 3

posted by argoal at 10:01 AM on August 25

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

great gif grum

dude looks like a misfit in every way

haven't followed the cards at all - who is that?

posted by cixelsyd at 12:16 AM on August 25

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

What Becomes of the Broken Hearted?

"What has led us to suicide is an insane belief in money and in a society that has no history. When we die and go to heaven the only thing we will take with us is disgrace, because that's the new name for love, and Fitzroy Football Club. You think that I hate them? I feel deader than they are. Like I've wept a weir."

Twenty years on, what happens when the soul of a working class community is ripped away.

posted by owlhouse at 10:04 PM on August 24

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

Queen of the Nile Hope Solo has been suspended 6 months for her conduct in Rio and her USWNT contract was terminated.

Still rostered with the Seattle club though.

posted by beaverboard at 09:19 PM on August 24

SportsFilter: The Monday Huddle

One day we will rise again.

To the level of Barnsley or QPR.

posted by owlhouse at 07:30 PM on August 24

CFL Pick 'Em, Week Ten

Ottawa by 4

Montreal by 10

Edmonton by 24

Calgary by 6

posted by tahoemoj at 06:45 PM on August 24

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

Time for the rookie to learn the team traditions.

posted by grum@work at 05:16 PM on August 24

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

The first wave of American water sports enthusiasts...

My wife and I returned Monday from 3 weeks in Canada. When I heard the initial report on TV of a border incident, I thought they were talking about us. They weren't, we managed to escape without incident. I found it disturbing that the Canadians set up a camp to hold the rafters. Concentration camps at the border? Terrible! If I decide to emigrate to Canada, I will have no problem finding a sponsor. I found that I have dozens of relatives scattered throughout Digby Neck and the Islands, Nova Scotia, all descendants of the United Empire Loyalists that fled the US in 1783 after the Revolution.

posted by Howard_T at 02:17 PM on August 24

SportsFilter: The Monday Huddle

We want to improve the experience going forward, not punish viewers for the sins of the past!

posted by yerfatma at 12:32 PM on August 24

SportsFilter: The Monday Huddle

Cool. Derby County matches shown live every week.

On every channel.

posted by owlhouse at 12:21 AM on August 24

CFL Pick 'Em, Week Ten

B.C. by 19
Montreal by 10
Edmonton by 18
Calgary by 17

posted by bender at 09:53 PM on August 23

SportsFilter: The Monday Huddle

I was thinking more of the emphasis, tron7. I totally agree that NBC execs are aa bunch of meshugas who should be replaced. Preferably by Grum and rcade, with Owlie for the international perspective.

posted by billsaysthis at 10:43 AM on August 23

CFL Pick 'Em, Week Ten

BC by 10

Winnipeg by 12

Edmonton by 27

Hamilton by 3

posted by jagsnumberone at 02:52 AM on August 23

CFL Pick 'Em, Week Ten

BC by 4

WPG by 7

EDM by 21

CAL by 10

posted by cixelsyd at 10:04 PM on August 22

The Great Sports Myth

Hmmm. A very American perspective.

I read this book a while back, and it basically says that the 19th century British upper classes organised and codified all the major sports (e.g. football, cricket, rugby) to stop young men masturbating.

So take that, sociologists.

posted by owlhouse at 09:06 PM on August 22

SportsFilter: The Monday Huddle

>Is what you point to all that much different from past coverage?

You're right that the coverage is the same as it ever was but this type of coverage also seems like it's well past it's sell by date. It seems like a crime to limit coverage so severely in a time when it's possible to show literally everything.

posted by tron7 at 06:48 PM on August 22

The Great Sports Myth

Thanks, rumple, that was a fascinating read.

posted by tahoemoj at 06:32 PM on August 22

Ottawa by 10
Winnipeg by 14
Edmonton by 21
Hamilton by 14

posted by DrJohnEvans at 01:29 PM on August 22

SportsFilter: The Monday Huddle

@FLsportsman Is what you point to all that much different from past coverage? I don't think so, with minor exceptions such as the first (1992) Dream Team. Heck, this US women's basketball team was perhaps the most dominant squad in any team Olympic event in history and they hardly seemed to break through the noise.

posted by billsaysthis at 11:56 AM on August 22

SportsFilter: The Monday Huddle

The closing ceremony of the Olympics was such a better performance than the opening ceremony, IMO.

As a whole, I was disappointed with how the Summer Olympics were covered in the USA -- how much swimming can American audiences withstand? Even after the swimming medal events were completed, swimming managed to stay in the news cycle because of Lochte. If one went by merely what was televised, then one could assume that the only genres of summer Olympic events were "Swimming & Gymnastics" & "Track and field."

On the other hand, Women's soccer only garnered mention because of Hope Solo's unsportwomanlike comment, after-the-fact of the team's loss, and anyone interested in exciting but lower-key events like the Rugby 7s had to seek out sketchy internet feeds.

posted by FLsportsman at 11:52 AM on August 22

CFL Pick 'Em, Week Ten

Blowouts across the board! Montreal stuns Ottawa, Calgary tramples B.C., Edmonton knocks around the Argos, and Hamilton just plain embarrasses Saskatchewan.

MTL @ OTTCGY @ BCEDM @ TORSSK @ HAM
ResultMontreal by 24Calgary by 28Edmonton by 23Hamilton by 46
Margin of Error17 to 3120 to 3616 to 3032 to 60

Tough week for spreads! If you got three points, slap yourself on the back.

SpoFiteMTL @ OTTSCGY @ BCSEDM @ TORSSSK @ HAMSPointsTotal Points
rcade Calgary Edmonton Hamilton 335
ic23b Edmonton Hamilton 230
tahoemoj Calgary Edmonton Hamilton 328
tommytrump Edmonton Hamilton 226
cixelsyd Edmonton Hamilton 224
Howard_T Calgary Edmonton 222
JPR Calgary Edmonton Hamilton 322
bender Edmonton 121
MrFrisby Calgary Hamilton 221
jagsnumberone Calgary Edmonton Hamilton 320
DrJohnEvans Edmonton17Hamilton 320
argoal Hamilton 118
Reever Edmonton Hamilton 218

"Who's going to be brave enough to pick Saskatchewan this week? Or any week, for that matter?"

... is what I wrote in Week 10 of the 2015 season, and it still applies.

WEEK 10

B.C. @ Ottawa (Thursday, August 25)
Two would-be contenders coming off tough losses. Someone's gotta bounce back, and Trevor Harris is getting the start for the Redblacks.

Winnipeg @ Montreal (Friday, August 26)
Kevin Glenn's career renaissance continues as he faces off against his former team. Okay, to be fair, EVERY team is Kevin Glenn's former team.

Saskatchewan @ Edmonton (Friday, August 26)
See above.

Hamilton @ Calgary (Sunday, August 28)
Hamilton is one good week away from grabbing the division lead. All they have to do is beat the league's leading offence. And defence. In Calgary. Yeah.

Good luck!

posted by DrJohnEvans at 11:03 PM on August 21

Fantasy Premier League Week 2 Begins Today

Took a chance that Arsenal actually might score, so I went Foster for Schmeichel: 6 points lost. Guess I also need to find another real striker (Lukaku-Defoe-Ighalo).

posted by jjzucal at 06:51 PM on August 20

SportsFilter: The Saturday Huddle

From today's text coverage of Crystal Palace vs Tottenham.

"Spurs midfielder Eric Dier is in agony after Connor Wickham absolutely blasted the ball into his special adult area from a couple of feet away."

posted by Mr Bismarck at 10:39 AM on August 20

SportsFilter: The Thursday Huddle

Also, who doesn't have a soft spot in their heart for full contact javelin?

Give me the stoic, the strong, the resolute...

posted by beaverboard at 09:06 AM on August 20

SportsFilter: The Thursday Huddle

I guess I know who would not be starting a petition: my fellow creaky old men who risk life and limb playing ultimate frisbee every week at local parks and stadiums.

I am not a participant. I have more than enough options for loaning my body to medicine as it is. To the point where I won't be able to give it to science when the day comes.

posted by beaverboard at 08:37 AM on August 20

Ottawa by 13

Calgary by 3

Edmonton by 6

Hamilton by 16

posted by rcade at 05:54 PM on August 19

relay discus

Sold. Who's starting the petition?

posted by cl at 05:22 PM on August 19

SportsFilter: The Friday Huddle

Japan's Risako Kawai demonstrates the proper way to celebrate Olympic wrestling gold.

posted by Joey Michaels at 04:44 PM on August 19

CFL Pick 'Em, Week Nine

I'm sitting in the public library in Westport, NS, because it is the only place on the Island that has decent WiFi. Internet service is spotty at best, and one of the best spots is in the cemetery where my ancestors are buried. Too scary for me. Speaking of ghosts, I haven't the ghost of a chance of winning this thing, but I will continue to haunt the contest.

I'm helping my wife trace genealogy, so I have not much time for banter. Here are my shots for the week:

Montreal at Ottawa: I've seen more Redblack logos than Allouette logos in my travels in Nova Scotia. Ottawa by 8

Calgary at BC: There seem to be more British Columbia residents than Alberta residents touring Nova Scotia this year, but we had a nice talk with a honeymooning couple from Alberta while attending a Celtic Fiddle concert on Cape Breton Island. Calgary by 5

Edmonton at Toronto: No entrails to divine on this one, although the B&B we are staying at is a working farm. Lots of chickens, rabbits, some sheep and alpacas, and a miniature horse. The lady that runs the farm is a well-known hooker*. I'll go with the Eskimos just because nothing gives me any hints. Edmonton by 11

Saskatchewan at Hamilton: Since one of my uncles was at one time the Superintendent of Schools for the Province of Sasketchewan, I have to lean in that direction. Saskatchewan by 2

*Get your minds out of the gutter, boys and girls. Our hostess is well-known for her hooking of rugs and tapestries.

posted by Howard_T at 03:44 PM on August 19

Ottawa by 11
Calgary by 3
Toronto by 6
Hamilton by 16

posted by MrFrisby at 03:08 PM on August 19

SportsFilter: The Thursday Huddle

I am willing to accept that Bolt is the greatest Olympic track athlete ever, but not the unchallenged greatest athletics athlete.

posted by Etrigan at 12:59 PM on August 19

grumble grumble single event grumble grumble

If there were slightly-heavier discus and throw-from-your-off-foot discus and relay discus of all of those permutations, Al Oerter would have more medals than Phelps and Bolt combined.

posted by Etrigan at 12:58 PM on August 19

SportsFilter: The Thursday Huddle

Still not sold on Bolt being better than Carl Lewis, though I'm not sold on the idea of "better than" at the top-tier of greatness anyway. One more gold than Bolt and more variety of events.

posted by yerfatma at 12:36 PM on August 19

grumble grumble Jim Thorpe grumble grumble

posted by billsaysthis at 10:49 AM on August 19

grumble grumble Al Oerter grumble

grumble grumble single event grumble grumble

posted by grum@work at 09:23 AM on August 19

SportsFilter: The Thursday Huddle

Although boxing not track, still wishing I could have seen Teofilo Stevenson try to get his fourth consecutive gold at the 84 Games. If not denied the chance by the Cuban boycott and he had won again, that would have been timelessly massive.

posted by beaverboard at 07:12 AM on August 19

grumble grumble Al Oerter grumble

posted by Etrigan at 03:55 AM on August 19

Ottawa by 4

Calgary by 6

Edmonton by 10

Hamilton by 17

posted by jagsnumberone at 12:45 AM on August 19

Zero doubt about that.

If he had been from a different country he would have been crowned as such by the media after the 1998 Olympics.

He's the Michael Jordan of track. Not an athlete in history that comes close. Hope we can see a whole lot more of him before he retires.

posted by cixelsyd at 11:17 PM on August 18

SportsFilter: The Thursday Huddle

Okay, NOW we can say Usain Bolt is the greatest Olympic track and field star of all time...right?

posted by grum@work at 09:51 PM on August 18

LeBron James Wants to Own an NBA Team

Good for James. I hope he does.

posted by Joey Michaels at 06:34 PM on August 18

Aha, thanks!

posted by yerfatma at 04:01 PM on August 18

SportsFilter: The Thursday Huddle

Combat sports don't do bronze medal matches. Both semifinal... I don't want to say "losers", but the two people who don't win in the semifinals each get a bronze.

posted by Etrigan at 02:04 PM on August 18

Ottawa by 10
B.C. by 7
Edmonton by 17
Hamilton by 20

posted by DrJohnEvans at 01:29 PM on August 18

SportsFilter: The Thursday Huddle

I'm sure it's Google-able, but can someone explain to me why it seems like all of the bronze medals in freestyle wrestling are ties? In return I'll present you with Ronald Koeman's evaluation of one of Roberto Martinez's final signings at Everton:

posted by yerfatma at 01:05 PM on August 18

Ottawa by 6

Calgary by 7

Edmonton by 8

Hamilton by 17

posted by tahoemoj at 12:35 PM on August 18

OTT by 9

BC by 8

ED by 13

HAM by 10

posted by cixelsyd at 12:14 PM on August 18

LeBron James Wants to Own an NBA Team

Will it be something you can advertise beer on? If so, I think the $50 million is probably a safe estimate.

posted by yerfatma at 11:21 AM on August 18

SportsFilter: The Thursday Huddle

That was the semi-final which, I imagine, is why they're a bit happier to goof about.

Bolt said that DeGrasse was supposed to slow down a bit at the end, as it's only a semi, but DeGrasse said he was just trying to stop Usain from being lazy.

Both fastest losers came out of this heat, which meant that Justin Gatlin failed to qualify for the final from third place in his heat.

posted by Mr Bismarck at 10:04 AM on August 18

SportsFilter: The Thursday Huddle

That is awesome. Was that the medal race?

posted by NoMich at 10:00 AM on August 18

Ottawa by 22

B. C. by 11

Edmonton by 11

Hamilton by 22

posted by tommytrump at 09:43 AM on August 18

ott by 9

bc by 3

argos by 2

hami by 9

posted by argoal at 09:29 AM on August 18

SportsFilter: The Thursday Huddle

Usain Bolt tells off Andre DeGrasse for trying to beat him.

How does it feel if you're in third-to-eighth watching the two guys up front flirt with each other as they cross the line?

posted by Mr Bismarck at 09:21 AM on August 18

Ottawa by 4
B.C. by 6
Edmonton by 15
Saskatchewan by 3

posted by bender at 09:07 AM on August 18

Ottawa by 12

B.C. by 3

Edmonton by 7

Hamilton by 10

posted by ic23b at 11:27 PM on August 17

CFL Pick 'Em, Week Nine

Montreal keeps it interesting, but Edmonton outlasts the Alouettes for the win. Toronto's done in by turnovers as Winnipeg cruises to the win. Saskatchewan makes a game of it, but penalty troubles give the game away to the Stamps, while B.C. comes out on top in a good ol' fashioned barnburner.

MTL @ EDMWPG @ TORCGY @ SSKHAM @ B.C.
ResultEdmonton by 11Winnipeg by 17Calgary by 9B.C. by 7
Margin of Error8 to 1412 to 226 to 125 to 9

rcade keeps the momentum going with another five-point week, despite Ottawa not playing.

SpoFiteMTL @ EDMSWPG @ TORSCGY @ SSKSHAM @ BCSPointsTotal Points
rcadeEdmonton9Winnipeg Calgary B.C. 532
ic23bEdmonton8 Calgary10 428
tahoemojEdmonton Winnipeg Calgary B.C. 425
tommytrumpEdmonton Calgary 224
cixelsydEdmonton9Winnipeg13Calgary B.C. 622
bender B.C. 120
Howard_T Calgary B.C. 220
MrFrisby Calgary B.C. 219
JPREdmonton Winnipeg Calgary B.C. 419
jagsnumberoneEdmonton Calgary 7317
argoalEdmonton Calgary11 317
DrJohnEvansEdmonton8Winnipeg Calgary 7517
Reever Calgary8B.C. 316

We might see some shifting in the West divison standing this week. But not the East. The East standings will remain the same forever.

WEEK 9

Montreal @ Ottawa (Friday, August 19)
It's back to the Henry Burris Career Watch, as he's slated for the start on Friday. Montreal isn't exactly contending, but their defence has challenged even the best QBs this season.

Calgary @ B.C. (Friday, August 19)
Is B.C. for real? This is the week they can answer that question. A win puts them into first place in the West, for the first time in who knows how many years.

Edmonton @ Toronto (Saturday, August 20)
Either of two teams that could put together a nice run, if only they could get out of their own ways. But hey, someone's gotta win this week, and I would probably give the slight edge to the team with an actual starting QB.

Saskatchewan @ Hamilton (Saturday, August 20)
Hot stat: the Roughriders have lost their last 3 games by a combined score of 95-28. Who wants to bet against the streak?

Good luck!

posted by DrJohnEvans at 10:41 PM on August 17

LeBron James Wants to Own an NBA Team

Obviously the market is changing and TV contracts may collapse

The only thing left on TV that people will watch live is sporting events...but I'm not sure that "TV" as we know it will be around in 20 years.

posted by grum@work at 05:13 PM on August 17

LeBron James Wants to Own an NBA Team

$2 billion was a wad of cash but is it an overpayment? The Clippers are currently looking for a new local TV deal and Fox supposedly offered $50 million. For a year. If we assume that's realistic and the US real interest rate is around 2% we can well, what we can do is see I never really applied myself in my econ degree and rather than do any hard math I'll be lazy and value the team as a perpetuity: a TV contract that paid $50 million/ year (adjusting for inflation) would make the team worth more than $2b by itself (50/.02). Obviously the market is changing and TV contracts may collapse but if you figure that local TV deal + a share of the national deal (3.33% of $2.6 billion a year is about $87 million) + ticket revenues, I can't fault Ballmer.

posted by yerfatma at 03:51 PM on August 17

LeBron James Wants to Own an NBA Team

LeBron was on a sure track to buy in on a smart dollar basis until that idiot Ballmer overpaid for the Clips and jack-fucked the marketplace.

At a forced distress sale no less. Wonder how much less a level headed, value-oriented investor could have gotten that franchise for.

Between that deal and Magic's overpayment for McCourt's Dodgers, maybe I'll go out and try to be as questionable an individual as I can and cook up the funkiest personal problems possible and then see if I can sell my house for twice what it's worth.

First I have to transport it to L.A. That seems to be where the juiciest dumb deals go down.

posted by beaverboard at 03:16 PM on August 17

LeBron James Wants to Own an NBA Team

With career earnings exceeding $1.3 billion so far, it's a viable goal.

Wow! I knew he had lucrative contracts, but whoa.

what's that worth in salary savings and increased franchise value?

If he was serious, he could reasonably approach a private equity firm to do a leveraged buyout of the franchise at a favorable rate... The value-add of him playing for the Pelicans before retiring as a full time owner would make a good ROI right from the outset.

posted by FLsportsman at 01:47 PM on August 17

LeBron James Wants to Own an NBA Team

This made me wonder if the smart play for LeBron would be to buy the team before he retires and increase its value by playing for it. Could an owner pay himself $1 a year?

The New Orleans Pelicans appear to be the lowest valued franchise at $650 million.

If he were to end his career with five years as player-owner of the Pelicans, what's that worth in salary savings and increased franchise value?

posted by rcade at 12:32 PM on August 17

SportsFilter: The Tuesday Huddle

A Celtics fan on reddit made a sweet yardsale score: VHS tapes of the '86 Celtics Jumbotron videos.

posted by yerfatma at 08:48 PM on August 16

SportsFilter: The Tuesday Huddle

I really hope Adrian Beltre has a few more years left in him.

posted by grum@work at 11:36 AM on August 16

Michael Phelps and Katie Ledecky in the Same Relay? It Could Happen.

Or, ya know, mixed doubles.

posted by jmd82 at 09:33 PM on August 15

SportsFilter: The Sunday Huddle

The picture (from the semi-finals, I assume) also captures DeGrasse's weird straight right arm running motion. It's so unorthodox.

As his coach says, don't fix what ain't broke.

posted by grum@work at 06:25 PM on August 15

SportsFilter: The Sunday Huddle

I came by specifically to share that picture. How badass is that? That is so badass.

posted by Joey Michaels at 04:41 PM on August 15

Michael Phelps and Katie Ledecky in the Same Relay? It Could Happen.

Why not do the same on the track for the 4x100m relays? Two men, two women, alternating each leg.

Or "team heptathlon", where you combine the scores of each member on the team (or they each do 3 events, and both do the final 800m as a 2x400m relay)?

Is there team golf at these Olympics? Each nation has a male/female pair, and it's alternating shots in match play single-elimination mode.

How about a combined weightlifting, where BOTH competitors work together to lift the (extra-long) bar?

posted by grum@work at 02:31 PM on August 15

SportsFilter: The Sunday Huddle

As long as it means "taking a break to smile at the cameras while cruising to victory in a 10-second race."

some text

posted by bender at 02:20 PM on August 15

SportsFilter: The Sunday Huddle

If "Zlatan" is being used as a verb, "Usain" sure as hell ought to be a widespread adjective.

posted by beaverboard at 01:52 PM on August 15

Michael Phelps and Katie Ledecky in the Same Relay? It Could Happen.

This particular idea may strike me a bit as trying to wish into existence another way for the US to win an Olympic medal, but I like the idea of an overall effort to add more mixed-gender events.

posted by bender at 01:00 PM on August 15

SportsFilter: The Sunday Huddle

let's given Bolt a chance at a ceremonial first pitch to see.

And give him a crack at a national anthem, as well. US, Jamaica, or Radiohead - his choice.

posted by tahoemoj at 12:03 PM on August 15

SportsFilter: The Sunday Huddle

Tough to unseat Carl Lewis given the number of events he competed in. But let's given Bolt a chance at a ceremonial first pitch to see.

posted by yerfatma at 10:36 AM on August 15

SportsFilter: The Sunday Huddle

I'm voting for Bolt G.O.A.T. track and field.

posted by Joey Michaels at 05:08 AM on August 15

SportsFilter: The Sunday Huddle

So...Bolt's the greatest track and field star in Olympic history? Or does he have to win the 200m and 4x100m relay as well?

posted by grum@work at 12:31 AM on August 15

Hope Solo Calls Sweden 'Cowards' After U.S. Loses Quarterfinal

Cristiano Ronaldo hits out at "small" Iceland after Portugal are held.

At least Hope's in good company.

posted by Mr Bismarck at 12:15 AM on August 14

SportsFilter: The Saturday Huddle

It's usually the latter.

A counter attack is a particular moment in the match. Against the run of play means a team scores while not dominating possession or the number of goal attempts.

posted by owlhouse at 11:21 PM on August 13

Hope Solo Calls Sweden 'Cowards' After U.S. Loses Quarterfinal

Bigger story, or perhaps non-story ...

Sweden players don't call Hope Solo a sore loser.

posted by cixelsyd at 11:13 PM on August 13

SportsFilter: The Saturday Huddle

In soccer, I thought the phrase "against the run of play" meant a counterattack when the other team has most of its players close to the opposing goal.

Today in the Wednesday/Norwich City game, it was used to describe Wednesday getting an attack during a stretch when Norwich City had been dominant. It wasn't a counterattack.

Which is it?

posted by rcade at 07:47 PM on August 13

Hope Solo Calls Sweden 'Cowards' After U.S. Loses Quarterfinal

Solo has been dominant for so long, it will be really tough to unseat her. The next big tournament is 3 years (WWC France 2019). Solo is 35 and will be 38 for France 2019, so not out of the realm of possibility that she could still be starting GK in France.

She did give up 3 goals on 5 shots (not counting PKs) in her final 2 games in Brazil. One goal was an obvious mistake. The other two goals made her look average, definitely not as dominant as she once was.

Solo's Zika comments also hinted at wanting to start a family. Now would be a good time to start with no major tournament in next 2 summers and she would be almost 40 after the next Olympics.

With the way the women's schedule works, I think now is a great time to start grooming a Solo replacement and let them battle for starting job in 2019.

posted by prof at 03:31 PM on August 13

Hope Solo Calls Sweden 'Cowards' After U.S. Loses Quarterfinal

Looks like Pia Sundhage shoved it back in Hope's face: "It's OK to be a coward if you win."

Hope got a head start on the Olympics with her mocking of Brazil related to the Zika virus, including a selfie of her in a bug-screen helmet while holding a bottle of bug repellent.

posted by jjzucal at 02:21 PM on August 13

SportsFilter: The Saturday Huddle

Ledeckytariat

Give an athlete a little clean water to compete in and look what happens.

posted by beaverboard at 10:39 AM on August 13

Hope Solo Calls Sweden 'Cowards' After U.S. Loses Quarterfinal

Hope Solo is not the founder of ISIS. But we could say she was if we wanted to.

I want to watch a replay of the shootout to see what Dahlkvist might have done to freeze Solo during the clinching PK. Which was fitting as Solo had previously tried to ice the Swede with a glove change.

If someone got Coach Sundhage loosened up on Akvavit, it would be interesting to hear what she might have to say in all candor about her old pal Hope.

I personally found the Australia-Brazil match more compelling and was amazed that the Matildas were able to hold off the constant Brazilian danger for 120 minutes of field play. They stood tall. I don't think I've ever seen the Aussie women underachieve.

Figured that Australia had a good chance heading into the shootout with the way Williams had been playing in net.

posted by beaverboard at 10:23 AM on August 13

Hope Solo Calls Sweden 'Cowards' After U.S. Loses Quarterfinal

Julie Foudy weighed in, and covers the situation pretty well, referring to Solo's comments as "...ridiculous and classless".

posted by tommytrump at 10:09 AM on August 13

Hope Solo Calls Sweden 'Cowards' After U.S. Loses Quarterfinal

Iceland played like this in the Euros, and they were lauded as courageous and heroic. It's part of football.

posted by owlhouse at 12:34 AM on August 13

Hope Solo Calls Sweden 'Cowards' After U.S. Loses Quarterfinal

Solo's getting shredded on Twitter. A lot of American fans don't appreciate the way she's embarrassed the entire team with this response.

Considering all the opponents who've had to endure disappointment against the U.S., it's a real shame Solo had so little grace in defeat.

I can remember a Canada team that lost after a penalty was awarded because the keeper took too long to make a goal kick. Can you imagine the thermonuclear explosion if that had happened to Solo instead?

posted by rcade at 10:30 PM on August 12

Hope Solo Calls Sweden 'Cowards' After U.S. Loses Quarterfinal

She should have been booted off the team long ago.

posted by sbacharach at 08:43 PM on August 12

Hope Solo Calls Sweden 'Cowards' After U.S. Loses Quarterfinal

Do we have a keeper who can do to Solo at 35 what she did to Breanna Scurry at that age and shove her into international retirement? As good as Solo has been, I'm tired of the immaturity.

posted by rcade at 06:48 PM on August 12

SportsFilter: The Friday Huddle

Looks like the Toledo Mud Hens are having a down year with a win percentage of .458. Too bad they're not in the International League South because that would be good enough for first place.

posted by NoMich at 01:37 PM on August 12

Join SportsFilter's Fantasy Premier League

I bumped this post back up since there are still 24 hours left to enter before week 1. You can enter later, but that makes winning the league a tough ask.

posted by rcade at 01:28 PM on August 12

SportsFilter: The Friday Huddle

1-Ump-6-3 double play

posted by tommytrump at 10:03 AM on August 12

WGN Anchor Goes on Epic Rant About Rules for Covering Olympics

I'm sitting in Canada now, reading the sports news on the Boston Globe website, and I tried to view a video clip that had been linked in one article. Up comes a video clip from NBC, and before anything will play the screen goes to black with white lettering that says, "This content is not available in your country". Now I suppose I could go looking through Canadian sources, but the likelihood of finding video clips of Ali Raisman in gymnastics or Nate Ebner in rugby 7s is not great. Come on, guys, I'm from Boston. Give me a break!

posted by Howard_T at 09:43 PM on August 11