FanDuel - WFBC

Recent Comments

Henchmen arrested, but the Joker is still at large

The arrests include CONMEBOL chiefs from various countries. If UEFA and CONMEBOL did actually want to change things, now is the time.

Threatening a possible World Cup without South America and Europe is pretty good leverage.

posted by owlhouse at 12:52 AM on May 28

LeBron Takes Cavaliers to NBA Finals in First Season Back

I got to see Wiggins once this year. I focused on him because my rheumatologist is a Kansas grad, and he was a one-man rooting section for Wiggins. So as I watched him against the Celtics in December, at a time when the Celtics' roster was in a state of flux, I couldn't help but think he was the invisible man. He was most unimpressive that night. Most likely it was just "one of those games". but I am still not really in the "Wiggins is wonderful" camp.

posted by Howard_T at 04:26 PM on May 27

Henchmen arrested, but the Joker is still at large

Somewhere a fan of Canada's women's team is enjoying that possibility.

posted by rcade at 04:09 PM on May 27

Henchmen arrested, but the Joker is still at large

Vox attempts to sum up what happened today and why.

posted by Mr Bismarck at 04:09 PM on May 27

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

Things have gone off the rails with the Blue Jays today. Because of their large bullpen, and the fact that one of their multi-positional utility players (Tolleson) is injured, a slew of pinch-hitting requirements mean we get to watch catcher Russell Martin play second base in the 9th inning. It's the second game in his MLB career at the position.

Update: The Jays tied the game in the bottom of the 9th, and now Martin will play 2B for the 10th inning.

posted by grum@work at 03:52 PM on May 27

Henchmen arrested, but the Joker is still at large

Ouch! That opened a nearly healed wound.

posted by cixelsyd at 03:46 PM on May 27

Henchmen arrested, but the Joker is still at large

Nah, FIFA doesn't care about the game on the field enough to bother with that. No money in it.

posted by yerfatma at 03:09 PM on May 27

LeBron Takes Cavaliers to NBA Finals in First Season Back

I don't think the trade was a mistake. The mistake was not figuring out how to properly utilize Love. It shouldn't have been that difficult to work in a player of Love's skill set. That said, Love was still a better player this year than Wiggins. Wiggins played a ton of minutes this year and put a lot of shots up, which won him a ROY award*, but he didn't play very well overall. Now, you put him on a team with LeBron and don't ask him to do much and he might have been playing all right by playoff time... or they might have struggled to make him fit in the same way that happened with Love. The highlights would be fun, though.

*Wiggin's numbers, while very similar to Durant's rookie season in Seattle, are pretty bad for a ROY winning season. Though, not nearly as bad as MCW's last year.

posted by tron7 at 02:25 PM on May 27

LeBron Takes Cavaliers to NBA Finals in First Season Back

I think Ainge would overpay for Love.

(I know that at various times in my life, I would have done so.)

The Celtics could be a much better team with Love, but their more immediate need is a defensive rim protector. Those are few and far between.

I overpaid for love once, but that was in my misspent youth. I don't regret it, though.

posted by Howard_T at 02:02 PM on May 27

Henchmen arrested, but the Joker is still at large

all of the men arrested or charged are Western Hemisphere nationals

The key here is that the charges are all based on US banking regulations. The Western Hemisphere guys can be shown to have run some of their ill-gotten gains through US banks, and thus to have violated US law. If any of the rest of them can be shown to have used US banks, charges might be issued there as well.

The big question is whether or not any of the accused will ever come to trial in the US. Right now they are in Switzerland. Will the Swiss pull their passports and keep them there? If they contest extradition to the US, the procedure could take years. Will the Swiss allow them to travel? If so, they might head for one of many countries with no treaty of extradition with the US. Freezing, and eventually seizing their assets in the US might or might not work, since they probably have something of an emergency stash somewhere.

All in all, this might just be the impetus for FIFA reform, but I will not hold my breath. Also, keep an eye on the officiating when the US Women's team plays at the upcoming tournament. There could be some really interesting calls.

posted by Howard_T at 01:56 PM on May 27

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

My Dad always said that you have 2 ears and 1 mouth, so you should listen twice as much as you speak. Unfortunately, Twitter has allowed us the use all 10 fingers, thus overwhelming by a factor of 5 the idea of listening prior to commenting. Ah yes, Twitter, idiocy in 140 characters or less.

posted by Howard_T at 01:45 PM on May 27

Henchmen arrested, but the Joker is still at large

The ongoing brilliance of Rick Santorum: announces today that he's running for the top job but picks the wrong organization.

posted by beaverboard at 01:42 PM on May 27

Henchmen arrested, but the Joker is still at large

Strolling down Bushstrasse

posted by beaverboard at 01:34 PM on May 27

Henchmen arrested, but the Joker is still at large

Also, from the NY Times comments:

Aslak Oslo, Norway 7 hours ago

On behalf of the rest of the world I can safely say that we're absolutely delighted that you're using your power for good. If Bush had invaded FIFA instead of Iraq he'd have a street named after him in every European capital.

posted by Mr Bismarck at 01:14 PM on May 27

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

"No disrespect intended! Prayers up!"

Now he's offended Satanists as well.

posted by yerfatma at 10:58 AM on May 27

LeBron Takes Cavaliers to NBA Finals in First Season Back

Am I the only person who would be willing to accept anything in the first clause given the second clause contains "more than they need . . . JR Smith"? In the abstract I see what he brings to an offense (on some nights) but the negatives seem so much more than the positives.

It's funny to think about that-- at the time the trade was what they "had to do" to have any chance of making a dent in the playoffs. Now they're doing fine without either, which speaks to the weakness of the East but also adds to the questions people asked of Kevin Love last offseason. He may wind up signing a short-term Prove It deal and hope the new higher cap for 2017 takes care of him.

posted by yerfatma at 10:57 AM on May 27

Henchmen arrested, but the Joker is still at large

I see this as totally positive: either the unlikely happens and Blatter is turfed out or this results in humanity finally colonizing the moon or Mars so as to avoid Earthly laws literally as well as figuratively.

posted by yerfatma at 10:53 AM on May 27

Henchmen arrested, but the Joker is still at large

Considering the corruption likely goes much further, and that Blatter is the king of the stuffed brown paper bag, I'm not sure this will change the election. Note that all of the men arrested or charged are Western Hemisphere nationals, even though there were widespread rumors of deals with plenty of FIFA/national org officials in many other geographies.

On the plus, side the Swiss have also opened a criminal investigation and today seized lots of material from the FIFA HQ offices which are, after all, in Switzerland. And since Blatter is a Swiss national, I don't think the Swiss police would've arrested him on an American extradition warrant, but one can hope their own charges will include his lying, sleazy ass.

posted by billsaysthis at 10:49 AM on May 27

LeBron Takes Cavaliers to NBA Finals in First Season Back

Tristan Thompson's stock certainly is on the rise

With LeBron and Irving on the court hoisting 60 shots per game the Cavs need a player like Thompson who does everything else well without the ball much more than they need Love or JR Smith. Thompson is basically a more offensively talented version of what Dennis Rodman brought to the Jordan/Pippen led Bulls.

Just imagine if the Cavs hadn't traded for Love and also had Andrew Wiggins in the mix. Love is an exceptional player but his game duplicates skills the Cavs already have being essentially a 1st or 2nd offensive option player on a team that already has those roles filled for years to come. Wiggins running off the ball offensively is an ideal compliment to what the Cavs have and defensively he is far superior to Love.

posted by cixelsyd at 10:48 AM on May 27

Is Manuel Neuer the template for future goalkeepers

I dunno, rcade. You need the right kind of scheme and players in front of the keeper to make this work and not everyone can play like his team(s).

posted by billsaysthis at 10:41 AM on May 27

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

Watch Colin refer to the next deadly tidal wave in the Pacific as a Tomsula.

posted by beaverboard at 10:22 AM on May 27

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

Colin Kaepernick thought a photo of catastrophic, deadly flooding in Texas was a great opportunity to promote his plan to suck less this coming season. "I warned you the #7StormsComing," he wrote in an Instagram caption.

posted by rcade at 10:10 AM on May 27

LeBron Takes Cavaliers to NBA Finals in First Season Back

He becomes the first player to reach the Finals five times in a row since Bill Russell and three teammates in the Boston Celtics dynasty of the 1960s.

Don't forget James Jones!

posted by grum@work at 09:31 AM on May 27

LeBron Takes Cavaliers to NBA Finals in First Season Back

I think Ainge would overpay for Love.

(I know that at various times in my life, I would have done so.)

posted by beaverboard at 08:27 AM on May 27

Rangers Force Game 7 with 7-3 Win Over Lightning

Bishop must be driving the betting parlors nuts, with bookmakers not knowing whether the Bolts are going to send out a hockey goalie or a lacrosse goalie. (Not that Lundqvist hasn't also fallen prey to the same porosity problem).

posted by beaverboard at 08:24 AM on May 27

LeBron Takes Cavaliers to NBA Finals in First Season Back

This game was exactly what they needed - Irving comes back for a tune-up but only needs to play 22 minutes and they now get a bunch of rest before the finals.

Tristan Thompson's stock certainly is on the rise - I wonder whether a team like the Raptors will take a swing at him in the off-season with one of those front-loaded structure deals that would put the Cavs in a position to either cut bait with one or both of Kevin Love and JR Smith (who will push them deep into the luxury if Thompson gets above value in year one) or to deal them and roll with Thompson.

posted by dfleming at 04:58 AM on May 27

SportsFilter: The Tuesday Huddle

Swiss Precision: Several FIFA officials were arrested on corruption charges at their luxury hotel in Zurich in a well coordinated surprise operation.

posted by beaverboard at 12:45 AM on May 27

Blackhawks' Last-Minute Miracle Comeback Foiled in OT

I have no love for the Ducks, but anything that crushes the souls of Blackhawks fans is all right by me...

posted by MeatSaber at 08:53 PM on May 26

Is Manuel Neuer the template for future goalkeepers

I love FourFourTwo. How many sports writers would quote a book from 1906 in a story on the modern style of play at a position?

Reading the first link makes me want to watch a bunch of Bayern and get a stronger feel for Neuer's technique. I have a FoxSoccer2Go account I almost never use and it has 23 full matches from that squad in the Champions League.

I think sweeper-keeper is likely to become more common. There will be enough athleticism to make it less of a risk.

posted by rcade at 05:29 PM on May 26

Rockets Avoid Sweep Behind Harden Heroics, Curry Tumble

I truly hope Stephen Curry had a "contusion" and not a "concussion" as Golden State claims. I want GSW to advance, but concussions can be delayed and not necessarily something you can "play through." Having seen my son receive a concussion playing basketball and dealing with the long recovery I had a hard time watching Curry return to the game. I hope they are being honest with themselves about the diagnosis.

posted by jeremias at 04:12 PM on May 26

SportsFilter: The Tuesday Huddle

I spent about a year in Huntsville one summer back in the '90s, and it amazes me that anything around it could ever be considered a heat sink.

posted by Etrigan at 02:26 PM on May 26

SportsFilter: The Tuesday Huddle

No, it lists "NFL, NBA, MLB, NCAAF, NHL, Soccer . . . " for me. I think it may be powered by your Favorites* if you're logged in and have any listed.

Though my working theory is the redesign is a random text generator designed to maximize the space for Listicle ads.

* Given Everton's theory, they should either pick a better name than "Favorites" or I need to remove them to be honest with ESPN.

posted by yerfatma at 02:11 PM on May 26

SportsFilter: The Tuesday Huddle

On the redesigned ESPN home page, is Soccer always the first sport link alongside the main site logo? It seems like the sport is getting considerably more play on the new ESPN site.

posted by rcade at 01:27 PM on May 26

SportsFilter: The Tuesday Huddle

There is still a lot of German bloodline legacy in Huntsville from what I can tell. Families from there would vacation in So. Florida when I worked odd jobs near tourist "destinations".

As an 18 year old boy, after the third or fourth stunning blond girl who was taller than me and looked like she was ready to do a decathlon said that she and her family were from Huntsville, that just about popped the squatchee off of my Castrol cap.

"Yes ma'am, we'll have this tire fixed in no time. After I get the rim sealed, the durn thing's liable to pump its own self up for all I know. And once it gets up to the right pressure, it'll stay there, I gare-on-tee it."

posted by beaverboard at 01:01 PM on May 26

Rockets Avoid Sweep Behind Harden Heroics, Curry Tumble

The head scare was bad, but so was the chance Curry would break his wrist or arm trying to slow his fall. I was amazed he came back. As Warriors coach I would've been tempted to let him rest just to help him be better recuperated for game 5.

posted by rcade at 12:57 PM on May 26

Blackhawks' Last-Minute Miracle Comeback Foiled in OT

That second Toews goal was unbelievable. Andersen was caught completely off-guard by his decision to take that shot.

posted by rcade at 12:42 PM on May 26

SportsFilter: The Tuesday Huddle

Truly, this is all about the Xs and Os.

Huntsville was picked by the army (NASA had nothing to do with it at first) because of the real estate available at Redstone Arsenal. The place is huge, and it has several miles of frontage along the Tennessee River that serves well as a heat sink for the testing of rocket engines. The base itself was once quite remote from settled areas; not so any more. I spent a total of about a year down there over the course of about 7 years, and it's one of the few places in the South I would consider living in. The influx of professionals into the area for the space program meant that the infrastructure developed strongly. There are 3 universities in the city, some really good restaurants, and Nashville is just a little over an hour away.

Dogs and chimps were used originally because they couldn't trust the locals in Houston not to screw up the rocket flight.

posted by Howard_T at 12:10 PM on May 26

Phillies GM: Our Fans 'Don't Understand the Game'

Just his luck to be named after the wrong sandwich in a town that runs on Cheez Whiz.

Where is Weedy McSmokey anyway? He moved from Ontario to Philly and promptly disappeared from our midst.

(Not that disappearances and basement imprisonments are unusual in that part of the country. There is definitely something in the wooter down there.)

posted by beaverboard at 11:49 AM on May 26

Phillies GM: Our Fans 'Don't Understand the Game'

Which stands as a reminder that when no one understands something except you, it's always good to double-check and make sure you're not the one who's confused.

posted by yerfatma at 11:21 AM on May 26

Blackhawks' Last-Minute Miracle Comeback Foiled in OT

Well, that was fun.

posted by tommytrump at 10:55 AM on May 26

Tic Tac D'oh

Now I understand why von Braun's group weighed their options and decided to take their chances in Huntsville. I had always thought it was the mosquitoes.

Back in the pre-orbital days, they had locals like these available and sent dogs and chimps up into space instead?

posted by beaverboard at 10:35 AM on May 26

SportsFilter: The Tuesday Huddle

The Houston tic-tac-toe fans can take solace that it happens to the professionals, as well:

Physical activity + public performance = almost flubbing a simple task

posted by grum@work at 10:28 AM on May 26

Rockets Avoid Sweep Behind Harden Heroics, Curry Tumble

Houston stays alive for one more game after the Curry injury but this thing feels over. Disappointing that the series has come to this as the games in Golden State were excellent and were contests that easily could have went the Rocket's way. Harden was amazing in game 2 right up until the final play and it stinks that his performance is going to be forgotten in the loss of the game and series.

Though, nothing is as disappointing as the ECF where the Hawks have apparently forgotten how to fly.

posted by tron7 at 10:20 AM on May 26

posted by yerfatma at 09:16 AM on May 26

LeBron's Epic Night Puts Cavaliers Up 3-0 on Hawks

If the Cavs get up big in any of the next two games, I assume Dellavedova will be benched for his own safety. He's spent these playoffs making a name for himself.

posted by yerfatma at 09:15 AM on May 26

SportsFilter: The Tuesday Huddle

Houston, where the fans are dumber than a chicken.

posted by ursus_comiter at 08:54 AM on May 26

WAT

posted by ursus_comiter at 08:53 AM on May 26

Houston Rocket Scientists.

If you can watch that without shouting at your screen, you're a better person than I.

posted by Mr Bismarck at 08:44 AM on May 26

Hall of Fame Harlem Globetrotter Marques Haynes Dies

That would be a great movie.

My memory tells me there was a movie made about the Globetrotters back in the late '40s or early '50s. I do not remember the plot, but I think it had something to do with getting the Trotters into some sort of professional tournament. The film used to be a staple on late night TV until monster flicks took over that time slot.

Aha! Found it. This is the synopsis. I remember the plot vaguely now, and the Celtics team the Trotters were playing was the "New York" Celtics (ugh, disgusting), not the Boston variety. There was a second Globetrotters film called "Go Man Go". I remember the title, but nothing at all about the film.

The good news is that this film showed up on turner Classic Movies a few years ago, so it might come around again. While the film is nowhere near factually accurate, and according to some was poorly made, it at least features a number of the former Globetrotters, including Haynes himself.

posted by Howard_T at 10:14 PM on May 25

SportsFilter: The Monday Huddle

Weird play: Khris Davis almost lost a homer when it appeared he didn't touch home plate.

Poetically, Davis hit another one in the next at bat, adding some drama to his crossing of home.

posted by rcade at 09:26 PM on May 25

LeBron's Epic Night Puts Cavaliers Up 3-0 on Hawks

The Hawks have Damon and Ortiz under contract?

posted by beaverboard at 12:17 PM on May 25

Golden State Routs Houston, Takes Commanding 3-0 Lead

Curry also was fun to watch in the press conference taken over by his daughter Riley.

posted by rcade at 11:48 AM on May 25

LeBron's Epic Night Puts Cavaliers Up 3-0 on Hawks

I'm still in line for my Hawks in 7 prediction.

posted by rcade at 11:33 AM on May 25

Golden State Routs Houston, Takes Commanding 3-0 Lead

The thing with Curry is that he's just so fun to watch -- I have a hard time thinking anyone could dislike him. He's like Mariano Rivera with a much more well-rounded skill set.

posted by holden at 12:49 AM on May 25

Lightning Beat Rangers 2-0, Now Lead 3-2 in Series

Boy, that crowd just went nuts to hear John Amirante do the anthem again.

posted by rcade at 08:15 PM on May 24

SportsFilter: The Sunday Huddle

That's an embarrassing way to end a season, but the game was almost entirely meaningless. It shouldn't count for much against Rogers.

posted by rcade at 08:02 PM on May 24

SportsFilter: The Sunday Huddle

Today was pitiful from my Reds. Sorry but last week and this make me question Brendan Rogers' ability to prepare a team for the game because in both the squad fell down immediately after giving up a goal.

posted by billsaysthis at 07:15 PM on May 24

Another Multiple-OT Goal Helps Blackhawks Tie Series with Ducks

No such thing. And this series is worth significant amounts of sleep deprivation.

posted by tahoemoj at 05:39 PM on May 24

SportsFilter: The Sunday Huddle

Almost 10 million fans attended English Championship games this season. That puts the league fourth behind the Premiership, Bundesliga and La Liga.

posted by rcade at 03:44 PM on May 24

SportsFilter: The Sunday Huddle

I'm fairly sure McShane is bleeding from the "inner thigh."

Those injuries are scary. Slash an artery up there and it's a major medical emergency.

Hull made a game effort. There was a spell where they scored two or three goals in a couple minutes only to lose them to offsides.

posted by rcade at 02:41 PM on May 24

Another Multiple-OT Goal Helps Blackhawks Tie Series with Ducks

Fixed. In my defense I stayed up too late watching hockey.

posted by rcade at 02:40 PM on May 24

Another Multiple-OT Goal Helps Blackhawks Tie Series with Ducks

rcade, I think you meant to reference the Western Conference finals rather the the Eastern.

Epic damn hockey game.

posted by tahoemoj at 12:50 PM on May 24

SportsFilter: The Sunday Huddle

Marouane Fellaini is doing his best to help Hull. He just stamped on Paul McShane and got a straight red card, dropping United to 10 men. I'm fairly sure McShane is bleeding from the "inner thigh."

Meanwhile, Arsenal are beating West Brom 4-1, despite hitting the post of crossbar five separate times.

posted by Mr Bismarck at 11:42 AM on May 24

SportsFilter: The Sunday Huddle

When NBC announced its deal with the English Premier League would show every game on the final day across 10 networks, a final day in which only two games mean anything is probably not what they had in mind.

Proof that I'm easily amused comes as the E! Entertainment Network is showing Crystal Palace vs Swansea. It's currently one of only two goalless games today.

In one of the two games with meaning, Newcastle are beating West Ham 1-0, which renders the result of the other game, (where Hull have to beat Manchester United to have any chances of survival), moot.

Stevie Gerrard's send off from English football could be going better. Liverpool are losing 5-0 to Stoke.

*Edit : As I type this, Palace Forward Marouane Chamakh's tap-in gives E! fans the type of entertainment they love.

posted by Mr Bismarck at 11:25 AM on May 24

SportsFilter: The Sunday Huddle

For two days in a row, fans have jumped onto the court and interacted with Roger Federer at the French Open. The latest was a selfie-seeking moron.

posted by rcade at 10:56 AM on May 24

Another Multiple-OT Goal Helps Blackhawks Tie Series with Ducks

There will be at least six games in both playoff series this round. Looking at our contest, only one player had any series going 5.

posted by rcade at 09:53 AM on May 24

Golden State Routs Houston, Takes Commanding 3-0 Lead

There have probably been better players and runs than the one Curry is on right now, but good lord I can't remember enjoying watching a guy play when he's on more than Curry. Bonus for when Klay's on too.

posted by dfleming at 09:52 AM on May 24

Hall of Fame Harlem Globetrotter Marques Haynes Dies

Haynes and Goose Tatum are the Globetrotters I remember best from my youth. I wasn't aware of the Mikan games. That would be a great movie.

posted by rcade at 09:27 AM on May 24

Hall of Fame Harlem Globetrotter Marques Haynes Dies

I saw the headline in an on-line sports source a few minutes ago. Now I cannot get the tune "Sweet Georgia Brown" out of my head. I remember when the Harlem Globe Trotters' visits to Boston were mandatory attendance for my dad and I. It was great entertainment, and it never seemed to grow stale.

posted by Howard_T at 08:25 PM on May 23

NFL Moves PAT Kicks Back to 15-Yard Line

I don't think it will make much difference. The 15 yard line is still just a 32 yard chip shot which is pretty automatic for an NFL kicker.

posted by JohnSoCal at 05:12 PM on May 23

SportsFilter: The Saturday Huddle

Xavi Hernandez, 35, is leaving Barca after 24 years to play in Qatar.

posted by rcade at 02:34 PM on May 23

Cavaliers Beat Hawks by 12, Lead Eastern Finals 2-0

Could be heading for a Finals that Jackson Pollock would love.

Kerr-Blatt.

posted by beaverboard at 12:00 PM on May 23

SportsFilter: The Friday Huddle

I don't think the columns are wide enough for the full season, the federal income tax will overflow. But day-um!

posted by billsaysthis at 11:38 AM on May 23

Cavaliers Beat Hawks by 12, Lead Eastern Finals 2-0

I thought the Hawks would make a much better showing. Dropping the first two at home is a killer.

posted by rcade at 10:49 AM on May 23

Cavaliers Beat Hawks by 12, Lead Eastern Finals 2-0

And that's what happens when Atlanta plays like the Cavs, only without a Lebron to play the part. Seems they forgot how to pass, and to make shots they were draining during the regular season. The offense needs a major tuneup before the next game to have a chance.

posted by jmd82 at 10:54 PM on May 22

SportsFilter: The Friday Huddle

Andrew McCutchen's pay stub

posted by tommytrump at 06:26 PM on May 22

SportsFilter: The Friday Huddle

Maybe Sam will be able to follow the same path as Doug Flutie and Jeff Garcia. Dominate in the CFL for a couple of years, and then catch the eye of an NFL team for a real shot this time.

posted by grum@work at 02:49 PM on May 22

SportsFilter: The Friday Huddle

Michael Sam signs with Montreal Alouettes

posted by tommytrump at 02:38 PM on May 22

SportsFilter: The Thursday Huddle

Don't those normally get enforced through a blown out ACL for the kicker?

posted by tahoemoj at 10:12 AM on May 22

SportsFilter: The Friday Huddle

Is Ligue 1 a revenue/profit sharing league?

If not - I find the idea that we'll change the integrity of a league to mitigate the downside risk for investors, but not do anything to share the upside potential for everyone, terribly unnerving.

posted by dfleming at 09:52 AM on May 22

SportsFilter: The Friday Huddle

France's Ligue 1 has reduced relegation from three teams to two because "investors need a little more security," per the league president.

I love the phrasing of this critical response from Pascal Dupraz, coach of Evian Thonon Gaillard: "This measure reduces the glorious incertitude of sport."

I fear that the Premiership will find ways to chip away at relegation.

posted by rcade at 08:09 AM on May 22

NFL Moves PAT Kicks Back to 15-Yard Line

If the defense commits a penalty on a PAT attempt (say, mistiming the snap and jumping offside), the offense can accept a yardage penalty and re-kick from a closer distance... or they can take a half-the-distance and attempt a 2pc from the one.

This rule change gives big running quarterbacks a little more value. People like... Tim Tebow.

I never thought the "Tebow Rule" would be an actual NFL rules change. I assumed it would be an axiom shared among talent scouts warning against homeschooled players from rural Florida.

posted by toxic at 12:26 AM on May 22

SportsFilter: The Thursday Huddle

I guess I'd be intrigued to see an excessive celebration penalty on a successful extra point conversion.

posted by beaverboard at 10:49 PM on May 21

SportsFilter: The Thursday Huddle

Here's the rule, straight from the horse's mouth (or at least from the summary of rules).

When a team scores by touchdown, field goal, extra point, or safety and either team commits a personal foul, unsportsmanlike conduct, or obvious unfair act during the down, the penalty will be assessed on the following kickoff.

posted by Howard_T at 09:57 PM on May 21

SportsFilter: The Thursday Huddle

Friends don't let Yanks drive drunk.

posted by beaverboard at 02:37 PM on May 21

SportsFilter: The Thursday Huddle

I saw that Bryce Harper ejection. I hate it when an ump thinks he's important enough to show up a player like that. Hudson demanding Harper get back in the box while his own mask is still off is ridiculous. The delay was all on Hudson because he took his mask off and yelled at Matt Williams in the dugout.

posted by rcade at 02:37 PM on May 21

SportsFilter: The Thursday Huddle

Extra point snapped from the 15 question: A team scores a touchdown and takes a 15 yard unsportsmanlike for dancing like a stooge. Will the extra point now be snapped from the 30(a 47 yarder) or will it still be assessed on the kickoff.?

posted by Debo270 at 01:50 PM on May 21

NFL Moves PAT Kicks Back to 15-Yard Line

My question is this. If a player takes a celebration penalty, will it now be an extra point snapped at the 30(47 yarder) or will it still be assessed on the kickoff?

posted by Debo270 at 01:47 PM on May 21

NFL Moves PAT Kicks Back to 15-Yard Line

The field goal percentages for the middle of the field between 30-35 yards was 97.5% last year. Extra pts were 99.6. Not much drop off.

posted by Debo270 at 01:14 PM on May 21

NFL Moves PAT Kicks Back to 15-Yard Line

The 2 point conversion rate is almost 48%. I would think if you are a bad team(Tampa, Cleveland, Oakland), you go for 2 every time. If you can score on anywhere over 50%, you as a team will be scoring more points. Chip Kelly, have at it.

posted by Debo270 at 01:12 PM on May 21

SportsFilter: The Thursday Huddle

I do know how to feel about the Red Sox minor league affiliate in Greenvile.

posted by yerfatma at 01:11 PM on May 21

SportsFilter: The Thursday Huddle

More than anything, I kinda feel like Revis is saying what he usually says - my job is to play cornerback. I get paid to do that. I don't care about any of the other stuff that's going on in the game.

posted by dfleming at 11:56 AM on May 21

SportsFilter: The Thursday Huddle

I have 0 idea how to feel about Darelle Revis.

posted by yerfatma at 11:09 AM on May 21

SportsFilter: The Thursday Huddle

Marvin Hudson threw Bryce Harper out of last night's game for stepping out of the box - while Hudson had his mask off.

On some level, Harper was definitely showing him up at the end, but isn't there a defined penalty for this that Hudson skipped over on his way to throwing him out of the game?

Relevant passages from the official rules:

Once a batter has taken his position in the batter’s box, he shall not be permitted to step out of the batter’s box in order to use the resin or the pine tar rag, unless there is a delay in the game action or, in the judgment of the umpires, weather conditions warrant an exception.

Notwithstanding Rule 6.02(c), if the batter intentionally leaves the batter’s box and delays play, and none of the exceptions listed in Rule 6.02(d)(1)(i) through (viii) applies, the umpire shall award a strike without the pitcher having to deliver the pitch. The ball is dead, and no runners may advance. The umpire shall award additional strikes, without the pitcher having to deliver the pitch, if the batter remains outside the batter’s box and further delays play.

posted by dfleming at 10:23 AM on May 21

Kraft Says Patriots Won't Appeal DeflateGate Punishment

Perhaps there is a darker side to Kraft's apparent submission. I read today that the NFLPA has asked that Goodell be held in contempt of court in connection with the Adrian Peterson case. If this is done, our favorite commissioner will have lost a great deal of credibility. It is also a sure thing that the NFLPA will aggressively pursue having Goodell testify as a witness at Brady's hearing. If he does, and does not recuse himself from ruling on the appeal, it's almost an automatic that the NFLPA will go to court to have anything but a favorable result (for Brady) set aside. Should this happen, the possibility for Goodell to perjure himself is there. If he gets it all wrong and does indeed commit perjury, I do believe the owners would be forced to dump him. I would not greatly surprise me were Kraft having someone work closely but clandestinely with Brady's defense team in order to set Goodell up.

posted by Howard_T at 10:51 PM on May 20

NFL Moves PAT Kicks Back to 15-Yard Line

Yes, but everything needs a Flutie dropkick.

posted by Etrigan at 08:09 PM on May 20

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

Toronto Argonauts sold, moving to BMO Field

posted by tommytrump at 04:16 PM on May 20

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

I think if anything, Shanahan has institutionally made it really difficult for the Leafs management and ownership to snap-react to a media storm and fire the coach. This is a contract designed with patience in mind. Six years at $6.25m is a heck of a lot of dead weight on a coach to swallow if this isn't a playoff team after two years.

posted by dfleming at 04:06 PM on May 20

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

It's like Joe Maddon becoming the manager of the Cubs;
If you succeed, you become a living god.
If you fail, you just get thrown on the pile with the rest of them.

Since they are paying over $6million/year, I think I would take that chance if I was Babcock.

However, if he thought the Detroit sports media was nuts, he has NO idea what's coming with the Toronto hockey media frenzy...

posted by grum@work at 03:26 PM on May 20

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

And it's official

Love one of the first comments:
"He's getting older now and wants shorter seasons to spend more time with his family"

posted by cixelsyd at 03:01 PM on May 20