Recent Comments

Brighton and Hove Albion promote to EPL

Newcastle defeated Preston North End 4-1 to get the second automatic promotion spot and return to the PL at the first call.

posted by jjzucal at 09:20 PM on April 24

SportsFilter: The Monday Huddle

That's one of the reasons why I believe the Steriod Era hurt so much -- the statistical history of baseball, which is such an important part of the game, was sullied.

As opposed to the "Greenie Era", or the even better "Segregated Era" of baseball. Those statistics are pristine and holy, like the "Re-used Dead Ball Era', and the "50' Pitching Distance Era".

posted by grum@work at 08:35 PM on April 24

SportsFilter: The Sunday Huddle

You gotta be happy after that final Matthews goal. His hands are incredibly fast.

I think three of his goals were the "quick reaction" type, where the puck was lying there and he was able to shoot/flip/slide it into the net before anyone else could react.

I was skeptical before the World Cup on just HOW good Matthews really was, but I'm convinced. He's the real deal and could be the start of something big in Toronto (like what happened in Chicago).

posted by grum@work at 05:18 PM on April 24

SportsFilter: The Thursday Huddle

While I certainly respect your right to hold whatever opinion you choose on hockey, I think that this particular statement indicates that you watch only selected highlights, if you watch it at all. This statement, to me, is the functional equivalent of the casual American sports fan who never watches a soccer game, and comes out of the woodwork every four years to complain about diving at the World Cup. The flow, grace, and beauty of the play, as well as the incredible skill and speed of the players, is ignored, and the focus is only on the violence. it's a tough game, to be sure, played by tough athletes, but incredibly violent (but legal) hits like the one at issue here are extremely rare.

Why are the hits okay in NHL but not international play?

That hit would have been legal in international play.

posted by tahoemoj at 01:21 PM on April 24

SportsFilter: The Monday Huddle

I was talking about this the other day with a friend, funnily enough, and we agreed that because baseball (compared with other major American sports) has remained largely unchanged for so long, baseball records have a certain mystic that, say, an NBA record doesn't. The timelessness of some of these records, the almost religious way the game is tracked and the level of detail given to preserving the history and data of the game is something uniquely baseball.

posted by Goyoucolts at 01:04 PM on April 24

Former Bull Craig Hodges on Jordan, Kaepernick, and dissent:

He looks wise and fit, a knowing soul from an ancient country.

"If you can defeat me in a game of one-on-one, then you are the one who is destined to defeat the forces of evil."

posted by Etrigan at 12:20 PM on April 24

SportsFilter: The Monday Huddle

Another of Babe Ruth's records has fallen. It's probably one that most (including myself) did not know existed, yet there it was, lurking under the dust in the record books, just waiting to be broken. Andrew Benitendi went 5 for 5 against Baltimore yesterday, becoming at the age of 22 years and 291 days the youngest Red Sox player ever to have a 5-hit game. The previous record holder was Babe Ruth who was 23 years and 91 days when he set the standard. This is one of those things that make sports such a fascinating pastime. Records endure, and when they are matched or broken, the career and life of the previous record holder are recalled and, in a way, honored. The continuity and traditions are thus maintained.

posted by Howard_T at 12:15 PM on April 24

SportsFilter: The Sunday Huddle

Leafs are really coming along. The puck just seems to find Matthews, he's always in the right place offensively. Gardiner looks like a legit #1 D-man and Anderson is steady in net. Kadri's line did a solid job against tough competition. He personally needs more work on managing his emotions in key situations (avoiding dumb penalties and plays) but has come a long way from when he entered the league. I didn't notice Nylander as much in this series but in the handful of Leafs games I did watch during the regular season he was their best player both ends of the ice. Throw in other young players who will continue to develop like Marner and Zaitsev and the Leafs look to be only a few pieces away from being a legitimate cup contender.

posted by cixelsyd at 10:15 AM on April 24

SportsFilter: The Sunday Huddle

posted by rcade at 08:40 AM on April 24

SportsFilter: The Monday Huddle

Sheffield Wednesday's radio commentators are closer to the fans than anywhere else I've seen. No booth for them.

That's Rob O'Neill on play by play and John Pearson on color commentary. Pearson is a former Owl whose body language at the end of this weekend's 2-1 Derby win shows he's out of his mind with worry.

posted by rcade at 08:38 AM on April 24

SportsFilter: The Sunday Huddle

Oh, and if the Capitals play like this against the Penguins, Pittsburgh is going to stomp them pretty hard.

posted by grum@work at 10:27 PM on April 23

SportsFilter: The Sunday Huddle

The Leafs season ended like most of their games did early on...a blown third period lead and a loss in extra time.

That said, I ain't even mad.

I didn't think they'd make the playoffs.

I didn't (realistically, despite my bravado in the NHL pick-em) think they'd be all that competitive against the MUCH better Capitals.

To get the series to six games, and to play FIVE of them in overtime? That's crazy.

The best part is that when the Leafs were leaving the ice Auston Matthews had an angry look on his face. He wasn't content with just getting there. He wants to win.

Given how Matthews, Nylander, Kapenen, Andersen, and Kadri played this series, I like their chances next year.

posted by grum@work at 10:22 PM on April 23

SportsFilter: The Sunday Huddle

A college student was killed by a hammer throw at a track and field event.

I saw this report earlier. What a shame for something like this to happen, especially for someone who was really just beginning his adult life. It shows the value of unceasing attention to what is going on around you. I have often thought about someone getting clocked by a batted ball when I am on the field umpiring. Some of the fields have little or no protection for people in the bleachers along the sidelines. At the level at which I work, the kids generally don't hit the ball all that hard, but if you move up to high school varsity, played on the same field that the middle school uses, you have a real hazard. The people watching the game are often young, non-athletes (girlfriends, little sisters, moms, little brothers) who are busy chatting, working their mobile 'phones, and doing anything except pay attention to the action on the field. Maybe an accident like this will call attention to the hazards that exist for those watching or working at sporting events, and will spur those in charge of the facilities or the events to improve safety.

posted by Howard_T at 05:37 PM on April 23

NBA Playoff Pick 'Em Starts Today

I'm surprised Thomas was able to play. The emotion in that place must have been palpable.

posted by rcade at 02:59 PM on April 23

SportsFilter: The Sunday Huddle

Rumple leads the NHL Pick 'Em with 7 points and several other players are at 5.

posted by rcade at 02:55 PM on April 23

SportsFilter: The Sunday Huddle

A college student was killed by a hammer throw at a track and field event.

posted by rcade at 01:26 PM on April 23

SportsFilter: The Thursday Huddle

The skater with the puck is fair game. Any other skaters are off limits.

According to this site, fighting is way down. Why is that? Because teams need to roll four competitive lines now. Since you need skilled skaters, the time of the barely-able-to-skate goon is done.

I believe that checking is allowed in the international game. The penalties for egregious hits, though, are much harsher than in the NHL game. And since the international game's rink is so much bigger, the play is much more spread out.

posted by NoMich at 03:50 PM on April 22

SportsFilter: The Thursday Huddle

I can never understand why some hits are clean and some are obstruction. That's something I prefer about soccer, the contact is minimal and the point is to have skill in possession or out. The hits and the fights in hockey make the sport too much like boxing or MMA on ice, and just turn me off. Why are the hits okay in NHL but not international play?

posted by billsaysthis at 03:15 PM on April 22

SportsFilter: The Friday Huddle

You can cross off anyone that has any Penguins, Blue Jackets, Flames, Ducks, Hawks, or Predators that aren't Malkin, Crosby, or Kessel.

posted by grum@work at 10:18 PM on April 21

SportsFilter: The Thursday Huddle

That's a gorgeous, clean, textbook hit by Keith. If Arvidsson has his head up, like they teach you from pee wees (or does checking start at bantam now?), he avoids it. I fail to see how anyone could find that objectionable. Billsaysthis, why do hits like that rub you the wrong way? Not saying your thoughts are invalid, just genuinely curious.

posted by tahoemoj at 05:54 PM on April 21

SportsFilter: The Friday Huddle

The NHL Pick 'Em is being marked up as results come in. MrFrisby leads with 4 points.

posted by rcade at 05:52 PM on April 21

SportsFilter: The Thursday Huddle

The NHL will be a far better place the day Duncan Keith retires but that was pretty much a textbook hit. Stayed low enough for all contact to be below the shoulders but no knees were threatened. Well executed, rather see a dozen like that than the stickwork and 'second point of contact' headshots that are the norm these days.

posted by deflated at 12:01 PM on April 21

SportsFilter: The Thursday Huddle

Why are hits like that still legal? I guess the question explains why I can't watch too much hocky, eh?

posted by billsaysthis at 11:35 AM on April 21

SportsFilter: The Friday Huddle

$10.2M lawsuit against Calgary Flames, Dennis Wideman filed by injured linesman

posted by tommytrump at 10:25 AM on April 21

SportsFilter: The Thursday Huddle

Whoah! Viktor, watch where you're going!

posted by NoMich at 07:56 AM on April 21

SportsFilter: The Thursday Huddle

The Jaguars play only two true home games the first eight weeks of the season. A third home game in that period is in London, and it's followed up a week later by a road game vs. the Jets. They also end the season with two road games.

posted by rcade at 11:13 PM on April 20

Oh lordy.

Duncan Keith blows up Viktor Arvidsson.

posted by grum@work at 10:30 PM on April 20

Aaron Hernandez found dead in prison; conviction will be voided

Hernandez's family will donate his brain to Boston University's CTE Center for study.

posted by jjzucal at 09:26 PM on April 20

Former Bull Craig Hodges on Jordan, Kaepernick, and dissent:

Nuance is rarely understood on the social media. Janice, on the other hand, is all over it. She made a friend request on Facebook to me. I turned her down.

posted by Howard_T at 08:18 PM on April 20

Former Bull Craig Hodges on Jordan, Kaepernick, and dissent:

I love that photo of Hodges. I haven't seen him in quite awhile. I would not have recognized him. He looks wise and fit, a knowing soul from an ancient country. The anti-Barkley.

posted by beaverboard at 03:49 PM on April 20

Former Bull Craig Hodges on Jordan, Kaepernick, and dissent:

Janice is currently not helpful or desirable in the marble hallways of the nation's capital.

posted by beaverboard at 03:44 PM on April 20

Former Bull Craig Hodges on Jordan, Kaepernick, and dissent:

Nuance, not Janice, having trouble editing on mobile.

posted by rumple at 12:43 PM on April 20

Former Bull Craig Hodges on Jordan, Kaepernick, and dissent:

Yes that's in the article, which contains a lot of. Janice about changing times for Black athletes.

posted by rumple at 12:41 PM on April 20

Former Bull Craig Hodges on Jordan, Kaepernick, and dissent:

I believe the famous quote regarding Jordan was, "Republicans buy shoes, too."

posted by TheQatarian at 11:43 AM on April 20

MLB's new baseball magnet: Josh Harrison

posted by grum@work at 09:02 AM on April 20

Aaron Hernandez found dead in prison; conviction will be voided

Enter Ben Volin of the Boston Globe: "[W]e feel sadness for Hernandez, a smart kid who made several bad decisions."

posted by rcade at 08:34 AM on April 20

Aaron Hernandez found dead in prison; conviction will be voided

Chad Finn in the Boston Globe did quite the opposite in a piece today. Finn makes the case that Hernandez's problems were entirely of his own making, and are not to be excused. There was one brief mention about some believing that the death of Hernandez's father when Aaron Hernandez was only 16 might have pushed him toward the edge, but Finn seems to dismiss this. I can't say that I disagree with Mr. Finn's opinion.

posted by Howard_T at 12:42 AM on April 20

Aaron Hernandez found dead in prison; conviction will be voided

I always savored this nugget of wisdom from Ray Lewis the broadcaster: (not stated verbatim):

"The Patriots must have known what they were getting into when they drafted Hernandez"

Meanwhile, as calendar days go, April 19 continues to be a certified badass motherfucker.

posted by beaverboard at 07:57 PM on April 19

Aaron Hernandez found dead in prison; conviction will be voided

Now that Aaron Hernandez is dead, I wonder if any sportswriter will be tempted to give him the gauzy victim-of-his-circumstances treatment that Ray Lewis got when the Ravens reached the Super Bowl. I'll never forget Greg Gumbel and Phil Simms during the game praising Lewis for saying he would talk at some unspecified time in the future to the families of the murder victims. The media was so eager to spin a redemption tale it didn't require any actual evidence of redemption.

Hernandez was tough to cover with any sympathy while he was alive, because he might continue to do heinous things. But now the book is closed.

posted by rcade at 07:12 PM on April 19

Aaron Hernandez found dead in prison; conviction will be voided

Thompson also said his office will file paperwork to have Hernandez's conviction voided once a death certificate is available, as required by court rules. He noted that Bristol County District Attorney Thomas M. Quinn III could challenge the motion to vacate the conviction.

No word in the story on whether Quinn would challenge the motion to vacate, or what the likelihood of any such challenge succeeding would be.

posted by tahoemoj at 04:56 PM on April 19

Aaron Hernandez found dead in prison; conviction will be voided

Judging by the Washington Post's reference to the Kenneth Lay - Enron trial, it looks like both (civil trial evidence and Patriot/NFL compensation) are possible.

posted by jjzucal at 04:34 PM on April 19

Aaron Hernandez found dead in prison; conviction will be voided

Can't access the Globe story, but read somewhere else that his NFL contract was terminated on the basis of his conviction and now that he is "legally" an innocent man the Patriots and the NFL are on the hook for compensation to his estate. Is this for real?

posted by cixelsyd at 03:38 PM on April 19

Aaron Hernandez found dead in prison; conviction will be voided

And the evidence from the criminal trial can't be used in any civil trial against the estate, apparently?

posted by Etrigan at 01:26 PM on April 19

SportsFilter: The Tuesday Huddle

This was called a "foul-tip" by Bucknor.

It's unclear from the video whether or not the ball was caught cleanly by the catcher or was "trapped" after hitting the dirt. If the latter, the call would have been a foul ball, not a foul tip, assuming the bat had actually contacted the ball. The difference between a foul tip and a foul ball is that the ball remains in play after a foul tip, but is dead (no more play) after a foul ball. It is obvious from the video that there was no contact between bat and ball. It it possible that Bucknor heard something that sounded like bat and ball contact, but the audio on the tape was not good. If you watch enough baseball, sooner or later you will hear what I mean by that, when on a swing and miss there is something that seems to be the sound of contact, but is something else.

I have been screaming at Bucknor's "inconsistency" behind the plate for many years. He does not do well there. In a 9 inning game, any plate umpire will miss as many as 5 or 6 pitches. It's to be expected, and players and managers will accept it, but some of the strikes he has called would not be strikes in a middle school game. In about 2 1/2 hours I will be behind the plate in a middle school game, and I really hope to do a better job than that. I limit myself to middle school because I am really too old to try to keep up with the varsity kids. I am adequate for middle school, but my performance on a varsity field, especially when it comes to moving to get into position to make a call, would be substandard. The New Hampshire Baseball Umpires Association does all of the varsity and JV high school games in the state. The members have to pass through an apprentice program before being assigned to games, Then their performance is reviewed, usually by the other umpire on the field and occasionally by an observer, and they are assigned to higher levels (i.e. larger schools) as they improve. The important consideration here is that it is the umpires' association that is responsible for quality control. The MLB umpires' union needs to adopt some sort of quality control program that includes suspension for poor performance.

I would last for about half an inning on an MLB diamond before it became apparent that I was over my head. Calling the balls and strikes , believe it or not, is not the physically most difficult part, although it takes perhaps the most skill, judgement, and concentration. High school and middle school ball use a 2-man system, and that means that both umpires will do a good bit of running in the game. That's where my problems begin, since at the age of 76 I am not as fast as I once was, and even in my prime I was not at all fast. Next time you have the opportunity to watch a major league or high minor league game, watch the umpires. Even in the 4-man system there is a lot of running involved especially with runners on base and a ball hit to the outfield. One of the umpires will go out to cover the ball, leaving a base uncovered. That means that the other umpires must adjust to be sure there is coverage in case of a play in the infield. The standard 4-man mechanics take care of this, as each umpire will understand what the others are doing and what he must do. Add to all of this the situational understanding, coverage of runners tagging up after a caught fly ball (who watches which runner), making sure bases are touched by runners, backing up the plate umpire on checked swings, not to mention the times when a ball is tipped and the catcher picks it off the ground, or a batted ball contacts the batter in the box and rolls into fair territory, looking like a fair ground ball, and the plate umpire can't see it. I cannot completely criticize Bucknor because of the many, many things an umpire must deal with on every pitch. His ability when calling balls and strikes must be considered, however.

posted by Howard_T at 01:03 PM on April 19

SportsFilter: The Tuesday Huddle

The ball from call 5 should have been set aside for the Hall of Fame. An entire foot off the plate and called a strike!

posted by rcade at 11:50 AM on April 19

Aaron Hernandez found Not Guilty of double murder

Hernandez has been found dead in his cell this morning. Apparent suicide.

posted by Ricardo at 09:12 AM on April 19

SportsFilter: The Tuesday Huddle

Should we trade Howard to the National League for Bucknor, draft choices, cash, and a player to be named later?

With the provision, of course, that Howard remain in touch with us.

If we dumped Bucknor's contract upon arrival, his salary would only count against the SpoFi cap for 2017.

posted by beaverboard at 03:25 AM on April 19

NBA Playoff Pick 'Em Starts Today

IND in 7 - George

TOR in 6 - Derozan

MEM in 7 - Carter

LAC in 5 - Hayward

WAS in 4 - Wall

GSW in 4 - Curry

BOS in 4 - Thomas

OCK in 7 - Westbrook

posted by jimmydiscount at 01:36 AM on April 19

SportsFilter: The Tuesday Huddle

Attention all baseball fans!

CB Bucknor gave a demonstration tonight (in the Nationals/Braves game) of what would happen if an umpire closed his eyes on every pitch and just guessed (by sound) if it was a ball or a strike.

From Twitter: Seven individual calls by CB Bucknor that home plate umpires across the league make "0%" of the time.

One

Two

Three

Four

Five

Six

Seven

Here is a map of every called pitch (no swings). Red ones are called strikes (they should be inside the boxes), green ones are called balls (they should be outside the boxes).

Jason Werth struck out in this at-bat without swinging his bat even once.

This was called a "foul-tip" by Bucknor.

The winning team's radio play-by-play guy tears into Bucknor's calling ability.

posted by grum@work at 12:19 AM on April 19

Brighton and Hove Albion promote to EPL

Geez, I may have to replace Crystal Palace with Brighton as my team to root for in the EPL.

posted by NoMich at 10:07 PM on April 18

Brighton and Hove Albion promote to EPL

Derby sent them up with an 88th minute equaliser against Huddersfield in the late game.

I own at least one Brighton replica shirt, and it's the best - the 2004 Skint Records one. Always guaranteed to start a conversation about football or music.

And have I mentioned that Sally the Seagull (or at least the person inside the costume) is my niece? She's still partying.

posted by owlhouse at 08:51 PM on April 18

SportsFilter: The Tuesday Huddle

Ronaldo's entire body was offside on that goal. Criminy what a blown call.

posted by rcade at 04:57 PM on April 18

SportsFilter: The Tuesday Huddle

I love that photo. Maybe "3rd - 2:12" will become the new "John 3:16" in placard land.

The other tweets also gave me a chuckle, at least the ESPN part of it.

posted by beaverboard at 02:15 PM on April 18

SportsFilter: The Tuesday Huddle

A guy holding a sign offers some inspiration for Boston Marathon runners.

posted by rcade at 01:27 PM on April 18

Brighton and Hove Albion promote to EPL

Not bad for a club that was in the fourth tier 15-20 years ago, had to sell its stadium and needed goal differential to stay in the Football League.

They were really good last year when Sheffield Wednesday kept them out with a defeat in the playoffs that included four Brighton players going down to injury in one game.

It'll be interesting to see how well manager Chris Hughton does with this team next season.

posted by rcade at 11:04 AM on April 18

Brighton and Hove Albion promote to EPL

The Brighton Rumbles. Please be named "the Rumbles."

/looks it up

Nope. Bummer.

posted by NoMich at 09:34 AM on April 18

SportsFilter: The Sunday Huddle

Listen, I've seen some amazing goals scored by some great players, but this one by Radulov is next-level insane.

Undressing a HOF-bound goalie, with one hand, while holding off a defender with the other...come on. If someone did that in NHL'17, I'd be pissed that they used a cheat code against me.

posted by grum@work at 11:14 PM on April 16

SportsFilter: The Sunday Huddle

I spent the afternoon at the in-law's joint and watched the Wild/Blues tilt. Man, what a game. Of course, I was bummed that I wasn't watching my Hurricanes playing a playoff game, but at least it was called by John Forslund, the team's TV play-by-play guy. However, I couldn't really hear him during the last five minutes of the game because you Blues fans were going nuts the whole time. Good job, lords and ladies of the Show Me state.

posted by NoMich at 08:49 PM on April 16

NBA Playoff Pick 'Em Starts Today

Isaiah Thomas playing for the Celtics despite the tragic loss of his sister Chyna. He's playing hard and has 15 at the half. TD Garden is electric, and I mean literally. They passed out wrist bands with LED lights in them. They are controlled by some remote entity, maybe the Government, and flash various colors. It was alternating red, white, and blue during the National Anthem. Quite a sight.

posted by Howard_T at 07:48 PM on April 16

NBA Playoff Pick 'Em Starts Today

The Cavaliers tried to give game one away but Indiana didn't want it.

posted by rcade at 11:42 AM on April 16

Aaron Hernandez found Not Guilty of double murder

Worse news, you now have 5 more years there. Hernandez was found guilty on a weapons charge that carries a mandatory 5 in our fair Commonwealth of MA. Of course, 5 more years on top of life without parole is a bit ridiculous.

posted by Howard_T at 08:14 PM on April 15

Aaron Hernandez found Not Guilty of double murder

A twisted "Good News, Bad News" scenario:

Good News: you've been found not guilty.

Bad News: you're going back to prison.

posted by jjzucal at 04:22 PM on April 15

NBA Playoff Pick 'Em Starts Today

Cleveland in 5, LeBron James

Toronto in 5, DeMar DeRozan

San Antonio in 5, Kawhi Leonard

Los Angeles Clippers in 5, J.J. Redick

Washington in 5, John Wall

Golden State in 5, Stephen Curry

Boston in 5, Isaiah Thomas

Houston in 5, James Harden

posted by rcade at 02:44 PM on April 15

NHL Playoff Pick 'Em Starts Tonight

Well, truth be told, the Hurricanes have kinda sucked the joy out of the game for me lately*. I have no idea who is in the playoffs and who is good right now. So, looking at the brackets for the first round, I'll just throw some darts and see what team gets picked:

Chicago in 6
Minnesota in 7
Anaheim in 7 +1
San Jose in 7

New York in 6 +2
Ottawa in 6 +2
Washington in 7 +1
Pittsburgh in 6 +1

Ovechkin is one of the top scorers in the first round.

* - I do have to admit that it was fun again when the boys were kicking ass in March, but the air got let out of the room when they lost all those games in a row at the end.

posted by NoMich at 02:43 PM on April 15

NHL Playoff Pick 'Em Starts Tonight

NoMich -- jump in, just pick against the leaders maybe?

posted by rumple at 02:35 PM on April 15

NBA Playoff Pick 'Em Starts Today

Not your average 1 vs 8 series. This one could be an upset. Nah! Boston in 6 (concensus). Thomas.

Have the Cavs emerged from hibernation? They have, and they are hungry. Cleveland in 5. Kyrie Irving.

Do I hear "Oh Canada"? Wait! There's no ice. That means Toronto has a chance. Toronto in 5. DeRozan.

TNT's home team vs Wizards. Atlanta might steal a couple of games, but that's all. Washington in 6 Paul Millsap.

Westward ho the picker.

Warriors and those from the Rose City hook up. Much as I like Portland, they have no chance. Golden State in 4 Curry.

This one could be the wrestling championship series. San Antonio in 6. Leonard.

One guard must be stopped, but neither will be. Which of the 2 will lack support? Houston in 7. Westbrook.

This could be Doc's last shot at another ring. It won't be easy. Los Angeles in 7 . Hayward.

posted by Howard_T at 01:56 PM on April 15

Washington in 6. Top Scorer: John Wall

Golden State in 4: Top Scorer: Stephen Curry

Boston in 7. Top Scorer: Isaiah Thomas

Oklahoma City in 7. Top Scorer: Russell Westbrook

posted by ic23b at 11:47 AM on April 15

NBA Playoff Pick 'Em Starts Today

Not sure I have anything that can run NBA 2K17, tbh (unless it's available for PS3), but I do love me some NBA Playoffs, so.

CLE in 5 - LeBron
TOR in 6 - Greek Freak
SAS in 5 - Kawhi
UTA with the upset in 7 - Gordon Hayward
WAS in 5 - Beal
GSW in 4 - Lillard
BOS in 6 - Isaiah Thomas
HOU in 7 - Russ Westbrook

posted by Ufez Jones at 11:34 AM on April 15

How the eff did I keep forgetting about this? /sigh

posted by NoMich at 09:08 AM on April 15

SportsFilter: The Friday Huddle

This I understand, but as long as the sideline mikes are cranked during the games and offenses can choose whatever signal words they want, why hasn't Tom Brady ever called out: "Cougar, Cougar, White 90, Fuck Goodell"?

posted by beaverboard at 01:57 PM on April 14

NHL Playoff Pick 'Em Starts Tonight

By the way, what was the final standings of the NFL pick-um, I've never been able to find it.

posted by ic23b at 02:44 AM on April 14

SportsFilter: The Thursday Huddle

It's Lao New Year here, so go out, get drunk, and get wet. Cheers!

posted by owlhouse at 10:49 PM on April 13

Happy birthday!

posted by NoMich at 01:08 PM on April 13

SportsFilter: The Thursday Huddle

Happy birthday, rcade. May you have many more, and may they all be celebrating years that have passed with happiness and prosperity.

posted by Howard_T at 12:53 PM on April 13

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

feel free to post picks at the NHL.COM link.

I tried, but, like everything Bettman touches, NHL.com's a pile of garbage.

posted by tahoemoj at 11:56 AM on April 13

What if Barry Bonds had played without a bat?

Saw this on Reddit yesterday; 2001-2004 Barry Bonds freaky stats are among the most fun stats in all of baseball history. There was a follow-up tweet that suggests some of his math was a little off in estimating balls and strikes, and that his batless OBP would more likely be around .590... so still the #1 highest single-season OBP.

That chart of all players/seasons by OPS was pretty awesome as well, and really drives home how- regardless of PED allegations- the three ultragreats of hitting are pretty much Ruth-Williams-Bonds. Everyone else is just not quite the same. There were two little stat trivia things in that reddit thread that really jumped out at me:

• From 2001 until his "retirement" (thanks again, you colluding GM assholes!), Barry Bonds had 1011 walks... and 684 swings-and-misses
  • If you played 162 games and went 2-for-5 with a HR and a single every game, you would bat .400, break the single season record for both hits and home runs... and still have a lower OPS than Barry Bonds did in 2004

The Breaking Madden series was worth it if even just for the legend that was BEEFTANK.

posted by hincandenza at 01:36 AM on April 13

Scoring: Crosby

posted by rumple at 05:40 PM on April 12

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

CFL commissioner Jeffrey Orridge to step down

posted by tommytrump at 05:05 PM on April 12

NBA Pick 'Em Week 25: All the Marbles Edition

Foiled again! I was umpiring on the ball field yesterday, and as a result I never looked at either my e-mail or SpoFi. Missed the Tuesday games as a result. Heading for TD Garden tonight to watch the Celtics attempt to finish as the number 1 seed in the East. Since Milwaukee is leaving Dellavedova, Antetokouompo, Snell and Middleton home to rest, things look pretty good for Boston. Now for what's left to pick:

Hawks are comfortably in 5th in the East, and have no chance at 4th. Meantime, the Pacers are struggling to stay in the playoffs, and must win or have both Chicago and Miami lose. While Atlanta might be resting some starters, I remember what a resting Hawks team did to Cleveland quite recently. Nonetheless, Indiana by 9. SLAM

Trail Blazers are not moving up or down with tonight's game, nor are the Pelicans going anywhere but to the golf course. That makes this one a tough one to predict. Blazers are at home, so I will go with that. Portland by 11. SLAM

posted by Howard_T at 04:30 PM on April 12

posted by bender at 03:52 PM on April 12

NBA Pick 'Em Week 25: All the Marbles Edition

Indiana by 14
Portland by 6

posted by tron7 at 03:02 PM on April 12

NBA Pick 'Em Week 25: All the Marbles Edition

Unfortunately the T-Wolves blew a lead (and my lock) with six seconds left last night, so I think that's it for my title hopes -- both games tonight are meaningless contests for everyone except the Pacers.

Pacers by 8 (slam dunk)

Blazers by 10 (slam dunk)

posted by Goyoucolts at 02:54 PM on April 12

Washington in 4 +1
Anaheim in 4 +2
Nashville in 7 +1
scorer: Panarin

posted by MrFrisby at 02:03 PM on April 12

NBA Pick 'Em Week 25: All the Marbles Edition

Thanks for being honest about that, GoYouColts.

Final damn night of the season.

Pacers by 11 (SLAM)
Trailblazers by 17 (SLAM)

posted by Ufez Jones at 01:31 PM on April 12

Calgary in 6

Chicago in 7

Scorer: Kane

posted by cixelsyd at 11:56 AM on April 12

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

OOPS !

Jumped the gun as rcade has just posted the official SpoFi NHL pool.

Regardless, feel free to post picks at the NHL.COM link.

posted by cixelsyd at 11:53 AM on April 12

Boston in 7
Pittsburgh in 4 +1
San Jose in 6
New York Rangers in 7 +1
St. Louis in 7 +1
Washington in 5 +1
Calgary in 6 (they have a center named Lazar!)
Chicago in 6

Top scorer: Ovechkin

posted by billsaysthis at 11:52 AM on April 12

NBA Pick 'Em Week 25: All the Marbles Edition

Indiana by 19 <-- dunk

Portland by 8 <-- dunk

posted by rcade at 11:40 AM on April 12

NBA Pick 'Em Week 25: All the Marbles Edition

There's been an adjustment to last week's scores that makes the battle for first more competitive. Goyoucolts reminded me that his Toronto pick was late, so it was removed and that lowers his score by 16. Ufez is 16 points back, not counting last night's results.

posted by rcade at 11:36 AM on April 12

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

I've created an NHL Playoff league at NHL.com and all are welcome to join https://bracketchallenge.nhl.com/leagues/spofi2017

League name is SpoFi2017 and password is "ilitch"

posted by cixelsyd at 11:31 AM on April 12

What if Barry Bonds had played without a bat?

There are very few writers on the internet that I'd pay money to read, but if Jon Bois said "I'm going solo and producing a new article/video every week." I'd pony up the money pretty quickly.

The closest I've come to passing out from laughter was reading a bunch of his "Breaking Madden" (and other video game articles) in a row.

posted by grum@work at 10:29 PM on April 11