FanDuel - WFBC

Recent Comments

SportsFilter: The Thursday Huddle

If it's true, the Tigers just picked up David Price.

That would mean they would have the last three American League Cy Young winners (Scherzer, Price, Verlander) and last year's ERA leader (Sanchez).

If it's an Oakland/Detroit American League championship series, then I'd peg the over/under line for total runs scored per game at something like 4.5

posted by grum@work at 04:05 PM on July 31

Winnipeg by 3
Toronto by 3
B.C. by 9
Saskatchewan by 3

posted by bender at 01:35 PM on July 31

SportsFilter: The Thursday Huddle

More math changes: Sox deal John Lackey to St. Louis for Kelly, Craig. Must be trying to get rid of the Pink Hats entirely. (Kelly, Craig)

And the A's traded their competitive balance pick to the Sox. Why am I hearing about these all of a sudden but only in the context of small-market teams trading them to large-market teams? And if they can be traded, why won't MLB get rid of the silly restriction on trading normal picks?

posted by yerfatma at 12:49 PM on July 31

SportsFilter: The Thursday Huddle

Ah, that changes the math a bit then. But only if they don't re-sign Lester.

posted by yerfatma at 12:06 PM on July 31

SportsFilter: The Thursday Huddle

let [Cespedes] go for a pick at the end of 2015.

Nope.

His contract states that he is a free agent at the end of 2015, and no qualifying offer can be made (and therefore no pick if he signs somewhere else).

posted by grum@work at 12:01 PM on July 31

SportsFilter: The Thursday Huddle

I wonder if/hope the FA will take a stronger position on Morrison than the wusses at the NFL did on Rice.

posted by billsaysthis at 11:55 AM on July 31

Winnipeg by 10
Montreal by 8
Calgary by 2
Saskatchewan by 21

posted by DrJohnEvans at 11:46 AM on July 31

Lester and Gomes for Cespedes

Which is how it's going to be screamed about locally, but it's hard to evaluate it without seeing where Lester ends up next year. As it stands, it's an interesting bet by the A's in a year without a dominant team. If the Red Sox manage to re-sign Lester, this seems like a pretty good deal: trade a couple of months of Lester for a season of Cespedes who provides a right-handed power bat in the outfield which the Sox currently lack and don't have an obvious prospect to fill right away. Re-sign Cespedes if he turns out to be something more than a 3 WAR player or let him go for a pick at the end of 2015.

Jonny Gomes doesn't enter into the calculation as far as I can see. I'm guessing they couldn't find a panic buyer willing to give up something useful for a platoon player who's a defensive liability.

posted by yerfatma at 11:21 AM on July 31

SportsFilter: The Thursday Huddle

I clearly spoke too soon.

posted by Bonkers at 10:54 AM on July 31

posted by BornIcon at 10:08 AM on July 31

Yes they did

posted by BornIcon at 10:08 AM on July 31

SportsFilter: The Thursday Huddle

According to reports, the Red Sox/A's have made a blockbuster deal:

Lester and Gomes for Cespedes

posted by grum@work at 09:58 AM on July 31

SportsFilter: The Thursday Huddle

Ravel Morrison may have finally secured a permanent place in Manchester like he always wanted.

"With all due respect to them, I said to him that he was too good for Arsenal." — Steven Gerrard with a Scouse goodbye to Luis Suarez

posted by yerfatma at 08:50 AM on July 31

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

Congrats Hugh!

posted by yerfatma at 08:48 AM on July 31

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

I kinda dig the Thor-inspired one.

posted by grum@work at 08:08 AM on July 31

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

"To lament the commercialisation of sport is to piss on an inferno devouring your house." The NRL in Australia goes Marvel.

posted by owlhouse at 01:39 AM on July 31

CFL Pick 'Em, Week 6

So, the Commonwealth Games, otherwise known as Empire School Sports Carnival. Winnipeg by 15. Is anyone in Canada watching? Toronto by 11. Calgary by 13. Because, as Usain Bolt so elegantly and accurately put it. Saskatchewan by 21. It's a bit shit.

posted by owlhouse at 01:13 AM on July 31

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

"Jon Lester Still With Red Sox" reminds me a little too much of "Generalissimo Francisco Franco is still dead."

posted by Bonkers at 11:49 PM on July 30

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

Probably the rarest of plays, the inning-ending walk-induced double play:

Travis Snider, on 2nd base, thinks there is also someone on 1st base, so he thinks he's forced to third with the walk. He gets caught sleep-walking to third, and for some unknown reason, Gaby Sanchez takes off for home and gets caught in the run down. This is a double-TOOTBLAN.

posted by grum@work at 10:00 PM on July 30

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

Life is good for Mr. Janus. Congrats!

I had a girlfriend during my Chicago daze that lived on Addison, pretty much right next door to Wrigley. We used to sit on the deck thingy that hung out from their second floor apartment and hassle the peanut vendor guy ("CHEAPER ON THE OUTSIDE!!") until he threw a bag up to us. The roar of the crowd used to just kind of hang on the muggy July night air.

posted by NoMich at 08:40 PM on July 30

Holy Sidd Finch! Minnesota Twins Sign Unknown with 100-Mph Fastball

It's a low-risk signing. Maybe he can be coached up...no harm in trying.

posted by TheQatarian at 08:25 PM on July 30

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

Not really sports news exactly, but the balcony of my new apartment has a nice view of Mazda Stadium, home of the Hiroshima Toyo Carp baseball team. Plus bullet trains whizzing by.

We can sit on the tatami with the window open and listen to the crowd roar. The Carp have been winning of late so the stadium is packed for every game. We're getting married later today. I'm sure I'll post more here about NPB as I inevitably become a fan.

posted by Hugh Janus at 08:14 PM on July 30

SportsFilter: The Sunday Huddle

I saw Jay-Z and Kanye West a couple of years ago and they were fantastic. But if that is not what you are in to I can understand why you would not enjoy it.

posted by Ying Yang Mafia at 07:11 PM on July 30

CFL Pick 'Em, Week 6

I don't think I have ever seen so few points scored through five weeks than this. But this has been an odd season so far to say the least.

So here's to week six:

Winnipeg by 7

Montreal by 4

Calgary by 10

Saskatchewan by 10

posted by Reever at 07:09 PM on July 30

Winnipeg by 10
Montreal by 4
Calgary by 14
Saskatchewan by 3

posted by Ying Yang Mafia at 07:09 PM on July 30

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

Daniel Bard released by Texas Rangers

Ahh, so he was. One pretty dominant season. Kind of unbelievable how badly things fell apart.

posted by justgary at 07:04 PM on July 30

Holy Sidd Finch! Minnesota Twins Sign Unknown with 100-Mph Fastball

If I had to stand in the box against a guy with ballistic heat who had trouble finding the strike zone, I would probably qualify for designation as an honorary prune packer on a gastroenterological basis.

posted by beaverboard at 06:36 PM on July 30

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

Yeah, he got cut a while back. Only a couple of years ago, he was a hot commodity in the fantasy league off-season because of his "potential".

posted by grum@work at 06:08 PM on July 30

Holy Sidd Finch! Minnesota Twins Sign Unknown with 100-Mph Fastball

The Twins knew about Poulson from his recent season with Academy of Art University, where he had an 8.38 ERA for the San Francisco school. [...] Poulson went 0-0 with a high ERA in 14 appearances and 19 1-3 innings for Academy of Art this season. He struck out 24, walked 24 and opponents hit .189 against him.
He's 24, never been drafted, has as many walks as strikeouts with a sky-high ERA... for an art school. Either this guy is more Dalkowski than Finch, or they accidentally had the radar gun on kilometers again when they scouted him.

In all seriousness, I hope it works out for him; he sounds like a physical specimen, and if they teach him to increase his accuracy by taking a few mph off the ball, he could make it; and who wouldn't root for a story about a young guy from nowhere making it to the bigs?

posted by hincandenza at 05:51 PM on July 30

Hamilton by 6

Montreal by 4

Calgary by 10

Saskatchewan by 9

posted by rcade at 05:45 PM on July 30

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

Daniel Bard, now in low minors, is still having extreme control problems

18 batters faced

nine walks

seven hit batters

two outs (one strikeout, one ground out back to the pitcher)

175.50 ERA and 13.43 WHIP

Over a month old link, but yeah, "problems" might not be the right word.

posted by justgary at 04:58 PM on July 30

win 6

argos 3

cal 14

sask 4

posted by argoal at 04:49 PM on July 30

Winnipeg by 23

Montreal by 3

Calgary by 4

Saskatchewan by 17

posted by ic23b at 02:47 PM on July 30

"Kyle Korver: An Offense Unto Himself"

As an aside, Zach Lowe is probably the best thing going on Grantland. I find his articles really informative and his volume is bewildering.

I'll take it a step further and say that Lowe is providing the best coverage of the NBA right now, and it's probably not even particularly close.

posted by Ufez Jones at 01:28 PM on July 30

Hamilton by 2

Montreal by 6

Calgary by 10

Ottawa by 3

posted by goddam at 12:24 PM on July 30

"Kyle Korver: An Offense Unto Himself"

Great piece. I always enjoy reading about guys like Korver and Battier who defy prevailing player eval wisdom and bring unanticipated value and advantages to their teams and to the league.

My problem is that I always think of Korver as a Gonzaga guy for reasons unknown. I've got that notion stuck in my head and can't seem to shake it.

Other first names in his family include: Kevin, Kris, Kirk, Kaleb, Klayton, Kyra, and Kari. Not only does this have Roger Clemens pretty well one upped, but why the hell is there a show about the Kard***ians when people who are actually contributing something positive to the world at large like the Korvers are available?

(This is why I got into a heated exchange in high school about Gatsby. "I don't care about these people! Why do I have to learn more than I want to know about them?")

posted by beaverboard at 11:56 AM on July 30

Winnipeg by 16

Toronto by 6

Calgary by 6

Saskatchewan by 23

posted by tommytrump at 10:52 AM on July 30

Winnipeg by 10

Toronto by 10

Calgary by 4

Saskatchewan by 10

posted by cixelsyd at 10:02 AM on July 30

CFL Pick 'Em, Week 6

Calgary rides into Edmonton, grabs an early lead, and ends up on top in a wild one. Winnipeg shocks the Lions faithful with an impressive defensive performance. Ottawa finds that it's tough to win in Guelph as the Ti-Cats take care of business, while Toronto reaffirms that it's near impossible to win in Regina.

CGY @ EDMWPG @ BCOTT @ HAMTOR @ SSK
ResultCalgary by 4Winnipeg by 17Hamilton by 10Saskatchewan by 28
Margin of Error3 to 512 to 227 to 1320 to 36

Tough week for points with upsets in Edmonton and B.C., but JPR scrapes out four points to move into a tie for first.

SpoFiteCGY @ EDMSWPG @ BCSOTT @ HAMSTOR @ SSKSPointsTotal Points
cixelsyd Saskatchewan 111
goddam Saskatchewan 110
Ying Yang Mafia Saskatchewan 19
ic23b 17Hamilton Saskatchewan 38
benderCalgary Hamilton Saskatchewan 36

WEEK 6

Strange season so far. One undefeated team remains in the west, while every team in the east has just a single win. Who knew that Winnipeg was propping up the east for so long?

Winnipeg @ Hamilton (Thursday, July 31)
Hamilton finally notches their first win, only to have powerhouse Winnipeg arrive on their doorstep. Hamilton is the underdog at home, but the east has to win sometime against the west, doesn't it?

Toronto @ Montreal (Friday, August 1)
This legendary matchup of old is a bit creaky this year, with both teams off to tough starts. The good news here is that at least one team will notch their second win. Unless, of course, they tie.

B.C. @ Calgary (Friday, August 1)
The Lions have shown more spark this year than their 2-3 record indicates, but Calgary's earned every bit of their 4-0 record. Going to be tough for B.C. to beat the streak on the road.

Saskatchewan @ Ottawa (Saturday, August 2)
After two disappointing losses, the 'Riders roared out of their bye with a statement win last week. But they have yet to put two good games together, so a visit to Ottawa (where the Redblacks are historically undefeated) will be a good test.

Good luck!

posted by DrJohnEvans at 09:44 AM on July 30

CFL Pick 'Em, Week 5

No worries ic23b, I just take the last valid one posted!

posted by DrJohnEvans at 09:01 AM on July 30

SportsFilter: The Tuesday Huddle

To me, this greatly ramps UP the pressure on you to perform as the Head Coach

Hope the Lakers plan on giving Scott a fair chance. No way the Lakers are competitive until they rid themselves of much of their aging overpaid roster.

posted by cixelsyd at 11:27 PM on July 29

SportsFilter: The Sunday Huddle

Why did you go?

My kid and a friend were going and I had to drive them. Our stadium is built in an area that takes about an hour to get in and out of so simply dropping them off wasn't an option. Being that there were lots of tickets unsold they were being blown out for $18 plus fees and I figured it was the best bet; I also have a wide ranging taste in music and enjoy most any live performance.

posted by cixelsyd at 08:57 PM on July 29

SportsFilter: The Tuesday Huddle

To me, this greatly ramps UP the pressure on you to perform as the Head Coach.

posted by Bonkers at 07:39 PM on July 29

SportsFilter: The Sunday Huddle

Pretty good gig those 2 have getting folks to shell out money to watch them perform karaoke (concert implies music, music implies musicians in my books).

Why did you go?

posted by Ying Yang Mafia at 06:51 PM on July 29

"Kyle Korver: An Offense Unto Himself"

Really enjoyed this read. Gave me more of an appreciation for what Kyle Korver does and, in particular, how disruptive he is. I had viewed him as much more one-dimensional.

posted by holden at 06:30 PM on July 29

The NBPA Makes History With The Hiring Of A Female Executive Director

Roberts steps into her role as NBPA executive director during a period of time where the labor peace between the NBA and NBPA is a mere facade. Some three years ago, the firm she is a partner of helped lead the NBA in collective bargaining negotiations against the NBPA.

She's switched sides?

Roberts notes that she has never worked on cases related to the NBA. Thus, for NBPA members there is arguably no legitimate concern as it relates to Roberts' representation of them and a conflict of interest with the NBA.

Ah, never mind.

posted by grum@work at 02:52 PM on July 29

SportsFilter: The Sunday Huddle

Then there's this, 300 or so years later:

I love your poise
Of perfect thighs
When they hold me
In paradise
I love you garb'd But naked more

- Warren G. Harding, the POTUS with the Lotus

posted by beaverboard at 12:24 PM on July 29

SportsFilter: The Tuesday Huddle

Pretty sure this guy knows.

posted by yerfatma at 11:51 AM on July 29

SportsFilter: The Tuesday Huddle

Dirk Hayhurst on minor league sexual depravity that's not so minor league.

Intriguing/disgusting story from Dirk. I wonder if someone will be able to narrow down the list of who "Jimmy Keets" might be...

posted by grum@work at 11:06 AM on July 29

SportsFilter: The Tuesday Huddle

Dirk Hayhurst on minor league sexual depravity that's not so minor league.

posted by yerfatma at 10:31 AM on July 29

SportsFilter: The Sunday Huddle

We're an American band
We're an American band
We're comin' to your town
We'll help you party it down
We're an American band

Tastes change. Ear of the beholder and all that. What's vulgar at one time is art at another. At least that's what Robert Herrick told me.
I dreamed this mortal part of mine
Was metamorphosed to a vine,

Which crawling one and every way
Enthralled my dainty Lucia.
Methought her long small legs and thighs
I with my tendrils did surprise;
Her belly, buttocks, and her waist
By my soft nervelets were embraced.
About her head I writhing hung,
And with rich clusters (hid among
The leaves) her temples I behung,
So that my Lucia seemed to me
Young Bacchus ravished by his tree.
My curls about her neck did crawl,
And arms and hands they did enthrall,
So that she could not freely stir
(All parts there made one prisoner).
But when I crept with leaves to hide
Those parts which maids keep unespied,
Such fleeting pleasures there I took
That with the fancy I awoke;
And found (ah me!) this flesh of mine
More like a stock than like a vine.

posted by yerfatma at 09:54 AM on July 29

SportsFilter: The Tuesday Huddle

Melky Cabrera's home run smashes the windshield of a car in parked outside Fenway.

posted by grum@work at 09:34 AM on July 29

SportsFilter: The Sunday Huddle

WATCH OUT FOR THE GRAND FUNK REUNION!

Having just witnessed a Beyonce Jay-Z "concert" last night I say amen to the FUNK reunion.

Come to think of it the cutoff jean shorts and jack-shirts were out in full force and low quality tattoos particularly on the back of the neck are clearly also in vogue. Personal attire was greatly overshadowed by 40 "songs" with every single chorus containing the words "slap" "motherfucking" "bitch" "money" "shit" "crack" "murder" "hoes" arranged ?creatively.

posted by cixelsyd at 10:35 PM on July 28

SportsFilter: The Sunday Huddle

Yup, it's the '70s all over again when it comes to shorts. It's pretty funny actually. The other day, a co-worker was complaining about the latest trend of jeans cut-off so short that the pockets protruded from the bottom of them. My reaction was, "OH FUCK, THE 1970S ARE BACK! WATCH OUT FOR THE GRAND FUNK REUNION!"

beaverboard: I was just in your paradise this past weekend. You can't beat those redneck southern outer banks beaches in North Carolina. Hope you like homemade tattoos so randomly placed that you may think you are talking to GG Allin.

posted by NoMich at 08:53 PM on July 28

Ray Rice Suspended for 2 Games

I think the contents of the videotape that has not been released to the public will answer your question. My guess would be that it will provide Rice with a self defense claim that the DA didn't think he could overcome. The law doesn't differentiate between male and female aggressors when it comes to striking someone in self defense. That means that the only question in a court room would be whether the force used by Rice was a reasonable response to the aggression he was responding to. And that's a tough sell for an overworked DA to make against a seasoned defense attorney, which Rice would no doubt have.

Now, as I mentioned in an earlier comment, concepts of honor and decency would lead me to believe that only the imminent use of a deadly weapon against Rice could justify him striking her in such a way to knock her out. But that's not the law.

posted by tahoemoj at 11:32 AM on July 28

SportsFilter: The Monday Huddle

Since when does ESPN run Vines of unauthorized sports highlights?

posted by rcade at 08:32 AM on July 28

SportsFilter: The Sunday Huddle

In my neck of the woods tiny denim shorts are the uniform of choice for young women exiting their place of residence. Not so much with the cowboy boots. They've led me to believe that I've started to enter old man territory in the "How can you go out looking like that?!?!" vein, because the shorts are generally short enough that the front pockets poke out from underneath them, and it's quite obvious that the makers of the shorts have used patterned cloth on those protruding pieces because they're meant to be seen.

posted by LionIndex at 01:45 PM on July 27

SportsFilter: The Sunday Huddle

I always wanted to go to the seaside with one of them country gals, and hang the beach towels on the airfoil of my Plymouth Road Runner to dry on the way home.

posted by beaverboard at 12:22 PM on July 27

SportsFilter: The Sunday Huddle

I went to the Fulham/D.C. United friendly at EverBank Field in Jacksonville yesterday, which was the opening act to the unveiling of the largest stadium video boards on the planet and a Carrie Underwood concert.

Moussa Dembele scored the first goal for Fulham, which made me wonder how in the world he ended up back at the team after its relegation to the Championship.

There's a second Moussa Dembele! The original is still with Spurs. The new one scored two more goals for his second hat trick in three months. He got one in the Under-18 Premier League tournament final in May.

As for the game, the crowd was so small at kickoff you could hear the players yelling to each other on the field from my seat about 50 rows up in an end zone corner. It didn't fill until the last 10-20 minutes. Jacksonville packs the house for U.S. soccer -- we had the biggest crowd in the southeast to ever see the USMNT -- but this bunch was killing time until the video board and country music.

Incidentally, if you are a young woman attending a Carrie Underwood concert, the uniform of choice is tiny denim shorts and cowboy boots.

posted by rcade at 09:24 AM on July 27

Ray Rice Suspended for 2 Games

I never said anything to indicate that it was.

Are you going to stop watching football because of this?

posted by rcade at 08:50 AM on July 27

Baseball Hall of Fame Announces Changes to Voting Process for Recently Retired Players

Unlimited ballots won't help that much; in 2013 only 6.6 names were listed on the average ballot, they aren't using the space they have now.

Until some of the voters pull their heads out of their asses this isn't going to change.

posted by deflated at 08:27 PM on July 26

Ray Rice Suspended for 2 Games

You're moving the goalposts a bit by talking about whether men are doing enough about it. Where we started was whether men care.

I consider sitting idle, or not changing your behaviour because you find out a man beats women, as an attribute of a "meh" attitude. You don't care enough to do anything about it. If your definition of caring about things is the words we use, then we've got different definitions of what constitutes caring about something.

The goalposts were that people wouldn't change the channel because Ray Rice has beaten a woman - and that's the only morality the NFL knows. If when Rice comes back, and nothing changes in terms of Ravens viewership - then it's clear a predominantly male audience accepts a person who beats a woman so long as they play football. We can wax poetic about our beliefs, but it's our actions that are more than just smoke.

The suspensions would be longer if there were more $$ consequences for the NFL for employing people who commit domestic violence.

posted by dfleming at 05:39 PM on July 26

It's probably their (incorrect) method of stopping future log jams. What they should do is allow for an unlimited ballot size, and to not count blank ballots as "votes" (for computing voting percentages).

All this is going to do is punt the ball further down the street until the VC has to handle it.

posted by grum@work at 03:33 PM on July 26

Conspiracy Theory Hat on: this is being done deliberately to keep McGwire (among others) off and minimize the presence of the Steroid Era.

posted by Bonkers at 02:49 PM on July 26

Three candidates presently on the BBWAA ballot in years 10-15 will be grandfathered into this system and remain under consideration by the BBWAA for up to the full 15 years. Don Mattingly (15th year in 2015), Alan Trammell (14th year in 2015) and Lee Smith (13th year in 2015) will be eligible to remain on the BBWAA ballot for a maximum of 15 years of consideration.

Here are players most likely to be affected by this ruling:

Years on ballot next time around
McGwire - 9
Raines - 8
E. Martinez - 6
McGriff - 6
Bagwell - 5
Walker - 5

This is going to clear up some of the log jam, but at the same time it's going to pretty much finish off any hope that those players (except maybe Bagwell) will have of getting elected (outside of the Veterans Committee).

Piazza and Biggio should have more than enough time to get in (even with new guys getting added to the ballot), but I think Raines is going to fall short. I also think this reduces the chances for Clemens/Bonds/Sosa as they were going to need time for some log jams to clear out (and minds to change), and that might happen too late (especially with guys like Martinez, Johnson, Moyer, Smoltz, Edmonds, Jeter, Ichiro, Hoffman, Rivera, Griffey, Ramirez, I.Rodriguez, Guerrero still coming down the pipe).

posted by grum@work at 12:55 PM on July 26

Ray Rice Suspended for 2 Games

For not regarding a problem as serious as domestic violence with "meh," which is where this conversation chain began.

posted by rcade at 11:22 AM on July 26

Ray Rice Suspended for 2 Games

All I'm saying is that I question the idea men have a "meh" attitude about this. I don't think you give most men enough credit.

Credit for what? Being aware it's a problem?

posted by dfleming at 09:41 AM on July 26

SportsFilter: The Friday Huddle

Ryan Raburn, ladies and gentlemen...

posted by MeatSaber at 09:47 PM on July 25

Ray Rice Suspended for 2 Games

Of course I'm aware of domestic violence victims. We all likely know somebody who suffered it. And the men I know are aware of it and angered by it, not making excuses for it like some of the idiots on ESPN.

Domestic violence fell 64 percent in the U.S. from 1994 to 2010, according to a DOJ report. People are more aware today.

The NFL is an outlier on this issue by taking it so lightly.

posted by rcade at 08:37 PM on July 25

Ray Rice Suspended for 2 Games

1 in 4 women report being the victim of domestic violence in their lifetime. Nearly 1 in 5 women report being the victim on sexual violence in their lifetime. And yet, in protests and organizations working to get those numbers down, the vast, vast majority of people standing up are women.

You don't have to be vocal to show you don't care - not showing up or doing anything about it is enough, particularly when these numbers mean with any kind of social circle you know people who've been a victim - whether you're aware or not.

posted by dfleming at 07:32 PM on July 25

CFL Pick 'Em, Week 5

**********************************************

DrJohn

OOPS, I just noticed I have posted TWO predictions.

PLEASE remove one of them, I am NOT trying to cheat.

**********************************************

posted by ic23b at 06:00 PM on July 25

Ray Rice Suspended for 2 Games

...Jason Whitlock who told us we couldn't judge Ray Rice because we didn't know what happened and the fact the DA is letting him off suggests there must be extenuating circumstances because DAs aren't in the habit of cutting young black men a break.

I haven't really been following this story. Do we know why the DA is letting him off? I think that bugs me more than the length of the NFL suspension.

Of all the suspensions Goodell has handed out I can't believe this is the one he chooses not to be heavy-handed on. He had to know the league was going to come under scrutiny for a small suspension.

posted by tron7 at 05:38 PM on July 25

SportsFilter: The Friday Huddle

A called fake punt end-around on 3rd and 9 from your own 6 yard line with 50 seconds left in the half? That kind of shit has only ever worked in video games.

If you are EVER going to have the element of surprise, that would seem to be the time to have it. Nobody would expect them to run that play, at that time, with that field position. The main complaint is that the play they ran took WAY too long to develop. If they had the runner intercept the snap, or the kicker run it himself, maybe it has a chance. Maybe even a fake punting motion might have frozen the defense....

posted by grum@work at 03:28 PM on July 25

SportsFilter: The Friday Huddle

Watching the CFL game last night and thinking the Eskimos are a championship caliber team with only 2 weaknesses: head coaching and special teams play.

posted by cixelsyd at 02:37 PM on July 25

SportsFilter: The Friday Huddle

Local sports talk show (CSSNE) host Bob Neumeier wanted to discuss Jon Lester's future value with one caveat: "There's risk in everything, so let's leave that to one side." I can see complaining the Sox are low-balling him, but if we're not going to discuss risk in terms of the value of a 31 year-old lefty, let's leave out the fact he's left-handed and throws a baseball too.

posted by yerfatma at 12:36 PM on July 25

Ray Rice Suspended for 2 Games

So the working theory here is that if Ray Rice smoked a joint or did a line and chilled out instead of beating his wife, he'd be in more trouble. Amen, NFL!

posted by phaedon at 12:09 PM on July 25

The NFL didn't really suspend Pryor for anything

That's a discussion for a different thread. If you don't like that example-- here. Take your pick.

posted by tahoemoj at 11:42 AM on July 25

Big Ray has no doubt already told Little Ray about the cosmic truth:

What starts as shock, morphs to meh, then ends up as hugs and kisses, man, woman, and child.

posted by beaverboard at 10:29 AM on July 25

Keith Olbermann's take.

posted by phaedon at 09:33 AM on July 25

Ray Rice Suspended for 2 Games

Literally, maybe not. But PTI (God help me why is the DVR still recording it?) yesterday featured king of the #hotsportstake Jason Whitlock who told us we couldn't judge Ray Rice because we didn't know what happened and the fact the DA is letting him off suggests there must be extenuating circumstances because DAs aren't in the habit of cutting young black men a break. Which doesn't address the question whether DAs are in the habit of cutting the rich or the famous a break. Wilbon simply paid lip service to the horrors of domestic violence and then agreed we couldn't possibly know what to think about someone who punched a woman into unconsciousness because we are still waiting on a leak of the whole tape. At which point we will be waiting on a transcript of every conversation the couple ever had to see how it is she provoked him.

If the culture around sports didn't have a "meh" attitude, Rice would be suspended for a year or cut by his team and roundly criticized in sports media instead of the stupid "Equal time to both sides of the story" thing sports "journalism" insists on thinking makes them real reporters. And we sure as hell wouldn't have a team posting about the wife's apology on social media which clearly suggests that a fist of a powerful professional athlete winding up in her face was at least partially her fault.

posted by yerfatma at 09:01 AM on July 25

Ray Rice Suspended for 2 Games

The NFL didn't really suspend Pryor for anything -- that 5-game suspension was because he had an active suspension against him from the NCAA, and the NFL has decided not to let people get out of NCAA suspensions by jumping to the NFL.

posted by Etrigan at 08:25 AM on July 25

CFL Pick 'Em, Week 5

Dr. John, next week is the annual week of service for our church youth group. We'll be taking them to Kittery, ME, for a week of painting, repairing, building, or whatever else is needed in the community. I will be off the laptop for the week, so with your kind indulgence, I would like to put in my picks for week 6 right now.

Winnipeg at Hamilton: Blue Bombers drop their loads into the litter box. Winnipeg by 11.

Toronto at Montreal: No dominant team has yet emerged from the East. Perhaps this game will be the springboard for one to start a move. Toronto by 4.

BC at Calgary: Lions are hitting their stride, but Stampeders have been strong all season. The uncontrollable running quadrupeds should prevail here. Calgary by 16.

Saskatchewan at Ottawa: 'Riders, despite their futility, are still more than a match for the RedBlacks. Home field does not help Ottawa. Saskatchewan by 8.

posted by Howard_T at 12:08 AM on July 25

CFL Pick 'Em, Week 5

Looked at this on Tuesday, said, "OK, I'll take care of it tomorrow." Looked again on Wednesday. I was sort of busy, weather was hot and humid, and I figured I could do it Thursday. So Thursday I have to serve as a Lay Eucharistic Minister at a funeral, then I have to shop for some stuff for supper, then the lawn isn't going to cut itself, and then I find out we have company for supper, so I have to cook a little more. I'm finally sitting down at the computer and turn the TV on, look at the guide, and discover that it's Thursday and there's a game today. How did that happen? Oh well, scratch that one. I'll just have to get the other 3 right.

Calgary at Edmonton: Way too late to call anything except the over/under will be more than 40.

Winnipeg at BC: Blue Bombers were flying high, but ran into some Eskimo anti-aircraft fire. This week they have to travel to face some Lions who have been sharpening their claws of late. One of my 3 cats is sitting and staring at me. I think he wants me to pick the Lions. OK, BC by 9.

Ottawa at Hamilton: The color confused from the Capitol broke their maiden last week against the crew from Toronto. They have a much tougher task this week, going on the road to play the cats of a striped variety. I'm still being stared at, so I have to go with the felines again. Hamilton by 15.

Toronto at Saskatchewan: The Argos have had their troubles this year, but then so have the Roughriders. So far, both have beaten Hamilton, but Toronto took down Roughriders in their first meeting. This time, the game is in Saskatchewan, and I believe it will make all the difference. 'Riders by 13.

posted by Howard_T at 11:52 PM on July 24

CFL Pick 'Em, Week 5

Edmonton by 3; Winnipeg by 3; Hamilton by 7; Sask by 7.

posted by JPR at 08:42 PM on July 24

Pirates suffer devastating injury

Horrible.

posted by dyams at 08:06 PM on July 24

SportsFilter: The Thursday Huddle

Chuck Knoblauch just threw away his chance to be inducted into the Twins Hall of Fame.

posted by rcade at 07:41 PM on July 24

Ray Rice Suspended for 2 Games

... based on most research I've read, males as a whole tend towards a more 'meh' attitude towards physical and sexual violence towards women.

I don't know any men who'd take a "meh" attitude about domestic violence, going back through my entire adulthood. I know plenty who'd take a "meh" attitude about pot even if they don't use it personally.

posted by rcade at 07:26 PM on July 24

Ray Rice Suspended for 2 Games

grum's answer was less depressing.

posted by tahoemoj at 05:57 PM on July 24

Ray Rice Suspended for 2 Games

They're a self-policing entity, for which the majority of fans either embrace or shrug off a massively cultivated violence culture.

The viewership is predominantly male and based on most research I've read, males as a whole tend towards a more 'meh' attitude towards physical and sexual violence towards women. We are perhaps getting to be more enlightened, but there are a metric fuckton of male viewership out there who won't change the channel because a woman-beater is playing.

Why are drugs so unfairly scrutinized? A largely Republican ownership group, surrounded by largely wealthy Republican friends, and the Maud Flanders' of the world who believe that athlete drug activity leads to kid drug activity, and thus smoking pot in your free time is worse than hitting a woman in your free time because ol' Whitey might not buy ad time next year.

There are no morals on what's worse or better - it's all about what brings in viewership and revenue. I find it more challenging every year getting geared up to cheer for a sport so fundamentally morally bankrupt.

posted by dfleming at 04:07 PM on July 24

posted by ic23b at 03:40 PM on July 24

Trouble in The Best Damn Band in The Land

posted by Bonkers at 03:38 PM on July 24

Drugs are bad, m'kay?

posted by grum@work at 03:03 PM on July 24

Ray Rice Suspended for 2 Games

I have to admit to posting this mostly so I could vent about it. Ray Rice, who knocked his fiance unconscious in an elevator, was suspended for 2 games. Josh Gordon, who failed a drug test after smoking pot (I understand that he is a repeat offender), was suspended fore the entire season. Terrell Pryor, who traded some OSU swag for a tattoo, was suspended for 5 games (thanks Deadspin commenter).

The Ginger (Nerf) Hammer apparently thought the punishment fit the crime after viewing more of the security tape than any of us has seen to date. What could possibly be on that tape that would justify a professional athlete striking a woman at all, let alone so hard that it knocked her out? Unless she pulled a gun on him, I can't see any justification for it; and if she did have a gun, he shouldn't be suspended at all. So how does the NFL justify the mentality that smoking pot is worse than beating on a woman?

posted by tahoemoj at 02:49 PM on July 24

Pirates suffer devastating injury

posted by tommytrump at 02:11 PM on July 24

SportsFilter: The Thursday Huddle

Sounds like the Ravens are satisfied the proper apologies have been made in the Ray Rice incident.

posted by yerfatma at 01:55 PM on July 24

CFL Pick 'Em, Week 5

stamps by 3

lions by 7

reds by 4

argos by 2

posted by argoal at 09:57 AM on July 24

SportsFilter: The Thursday Huddle

Talk about home-field advantage! The Yankees won last night's game because their home grounds crew was unable to get the tarp on to the field during a rainstorm, and the field was rendered unplayable. The Yankees had the lead after 5 innings, so the umpires called the game after the rain stopped and they were unable to get the field dried out.

posted by grum@work at 08:26 AM on July 24

Bartolo Colon Has Perfect Game Through 6 Innings

Freaky footnote: a few years ago, Colon's #40 was worn by a guy named...Robinson Cancel.

posted by beaverboard at 01:08 AM on July 24

SportsFilter: The Monday Huddle

Good counterpoint to the Super League: the qualifying rounds of the 2014-15 Europa League have already been running for a few weeks.

posted by owlhouse at 11:52 PM on July 23