FanDuel - WFBC

Recent Comments

SportsFilter: The Friday Huddle

A called fake punt end-around on 3rd and 9 from your own 6 yard line with 50 seconds left in the half? That kind of shit has only ever worked in video games.

If you are EVER going to have the element of surprise, that would seem to be the time to have it. Nobody would expect them to run that play, at that time, with that field position. The main complaint is that the play they ran took WAY too long to develop. If they had the runner intercept the snap, or the kicker run it himself, maybe it has a chance. Maybe even a fake punting motion might have frozen the defense....

posted by grum@work at 03:28 PM on July 25

SportsFilter: The Friday Huddle

Watching the CFL game last night and thinking the Eskimos are a championship caliber team with only 2 weaknesses: head coaching and special teams play.

posted by cixelsyd at 02:37 PM on July 25

SportsFilter: The Friday Huddle

Local sports talk show (CSSNE) host Bob Neumeier wanted to discuss Jon Lester's future value with one caveat: "There's risk in everything, so let's leave that to one side." I can see complaining the Sox are low-balling him, but if we're not going to discuss risk in terms of the value of a 31 year-old lefty, let's leave out the fact he's left-handed and throws a baseball too.

posted by yerfatma at 12:36 PM on July 25

Ray Rice Suspended for 2 Games

So the working theory here is that if Ray Rice smoked a joint or did a line and chilled out instead of beating his wife, he'd be in more trouble. Amen, NFL!

posted by phaedon at 12:09 PM on July 25

Ray Rice Suspended for 2 Games

The NFL didn't really suspend Pryor for anything

That's a discussion for a different thread. If you don't like that example-- here. Take your pick.

posted by tahoemoj at 11:42 AM on July 25

Ray Rice Suspended for 2 Games

Big Ray has no doubt already told Little Ray about the cosmic truth:

What starts as shock, morphs to meh, then ends up as hugs and kisses, man, woman, and child.

posted by beaverboard at 10:29 AM on July 25

Ray Rice Suspended for 2 Games

Keith Olbermann's take.

posted by phaedon at 09:33 AM on July 25

Ray Rice Suspended for 2 Games

Literally, maybe not. But PTI (God help me why is the DVR still recording it?) yesterday featured king of the #hotsportstake Jason Whitlock who told us we couldn't judge Ray Rice because we didn't know what happened and the fact the DA is letting him off suggests there must be extenuating circumstances because DAs aren't in the habit of cutting young black men a break. Which doesn't address the question whether DAs are in the habit of cutting the rich or the famous a break. Wilbon simply paid lip service to the horrors of domestic violence and then agreed we couldn't possibly know what to think about someone who punched a woman into unconsciousness because we are still waiting on a leak of the whole tape. At which point we will be waiting on a transcript of every conversation the couple ever had to see how it is she provoked him.

If the culture around sports didn't have a "meh" attitude, Rice would be suspended for a year or cut by his team and roundly criticized in sports media instead of the stupid "Equal time to both sides of the story" thing sports "journalism" insists on thinking makes them real reporters. And we sure as hell wouldn't have a team posting about the wife's apology on social media which clearly suggests that a fist of a powerful professional athlete winding up in her face was at least partially her fault.

posted by yerfatma at 09:01 AM on July 25

Ray Rice Suspended for 2 Games

The NFL didn't really suspend Pryor for anything -- that 5-game suspension was because he had an active suspension against him from the NCAA, and the NFL has decided not to let people get out of NCAA suspensions by jumping to the NFL.

posted by Etrigan at 08:25 AM on July 25

CFL Pick 'Em, Week 5

Dr. John, next week is the annual week of service for our church youth group. We'll be taking them to Kittery, ME, for a week of painting, repairing, building, or whatever else is needed in the community. I will be off the laptop for the week, so with your kind indulgence, I would like to put in my picks for week 6 right now.

Winnipeg at Hamilton: Blue Bombers drop their loads into the litter box. Winnipeg by 11.

Toronto at Montreal: No dominant team has yet emerged from the East. Perhaps this game will be the springboard for one to start a move. Toronto by 4.

BC at Calgary: Lions are hitting their stride, but Stampeders have been strong all season. The uncontrollable running quadrupeds should prevail here. Calgary by 16.

Saskatchewan at Ottawa: 'Riders, despite their futility, are still more than a match for the RedBlacks. Home field does not help Ottawa. Saskatchewan by 8.

posted by Howard_T at 12:08 AM on July 25

CFL Pick 'Em, Week 5

Looked at this on Tuesday, said, "OK, I'll take care of it tomorrow." Looked again on Wednesday. I was sort of busy, weather was hot and humid, and I figured I could do it Thursday. So Thursday I have to serve as a Lay Eucharistic Minister at a funeral, then I have to shop for some stuff for supper, then the lawn isn't going to cut itself, and then I find out we have company for supper, so I have to cook a little more. I'm finally sitting down at the computer and turn the TV on, look at the guide, and discover that it's Thursday and there's a game today. How did that happen? Oh well, scratch that one. I'll just have to get the other 3 right.

Calgary at Edmonton: Way too late to call anything except the over/under will be more than 40.

Winnipeg at BC: Blue Bombers were flying high, but ran into some Eskimo anti-aircraft fire. This week they have to travel to face some Lions who have been sharpening their claws of late. One of my 3 cats is sitting and staring at me. I think he wants me to pick the Lions. OK, BC by 9.

Ottawa at Hamilton: The color confused from the Capitol broke their maiden last week against the crew from Toronto. They have a much tougher task this week, going on the road to play the cats of a striped variety. I'm still being stared at, so I have to go with the felines again. Hamilton by 15.

Toronto at Saskatchewan: The Argos have had their troubles this year, but then so have the Roughriders. So far, both have beaten Hamilton, but Toronto took down Roughriders in their first meeting. This time, the game is in Saskatchewan, and I believe it will make all the difference. 'Riders by 13.

posted by Howard_T at 11:52 PM on July 24

CFL Pick 'Em, Week 5

Edmonton by 3; Winnipeg by 3; Hamilton by 7; Sask by 7.

posted by JPR at 08:42 PM on July 24

SportsFilter: The Thursday Huddle

Pirates suffer devastating injury

Horrible.

posted by dyams at 08:06 PM on July 24

SportsFilter: The Thursday Huddle

Chuck Knoblauch just threw away his chance to be inducted into the Twins Hall of Fame.

posted by rcade at 07:41 PM on July 24

Ray Rice Suspended for 2 Games

... based on most research I've read, males as a whole tend towards a more 'meh' attitude towards physical and sexual violence towards women.

I don't know any men who'd take a "meh" attitude about domestic violence, going back through my entire adulthood. I know plenty who'd take a "meh" attitude about pot even if they don't use it personally.

posted by rcade at 07:26 PM on July 24

Ray Rice Suspended for 2 Games

grum's answer was less depressing.

posted by tahoemoj at 05:57 PM on July 24

Ray Rice Suspended for 2 Games

They're a self-policing entity, for which the majority of fans either embrace or shrug off a massively cultivated violence culture.

The viewership is predominantly male and based on most research I've read, males as a whole tend towards a more 'meh' attitude towards physical and sexual violence towards women. We are perhaps getting to be more enlightened, but there are a metric fuckton of male viewership out there who won't change the channel because a woman-beater is playing.

Why are drugs so unfairly scrutinized? A largely Republican ownership group, surrounded by largely wealthy Republican friends, and the Maud Flanders' of the world who believe that athlete drug activity leads to kid drug activity, and thus smoking pot in your free time is worse than hitting a woman in your free time because ol' Whitey might not buy ad time next year.

There are no morals on what's worse or better - it's all about what brings in viewership and revenue. I find it more challenging every year getting geared up to cheer for a sport so fundamentally morally bankrupt.

posted by dfleming at 04:07 PM on July 24

Trouble in The Best Damn Band in The Land

posted by Bonkers at 03:38 PM on July 24

Ray Rice Suspended for 2 Games

Drugs are bad, m'kay?

posted by grum@work at 03:03 PM on July 24

Ray Rice Suspended for 2 Games

I have to admit to posting this mostly so I could vent about it. Ray Rice, who knocked his fiance unconscious in an elevator, was suspended for 2 games. Josh Gordon, who failed a drug test after smoking pot (I understand that he is a repeat offender), was suspended fore the entire season. Terrell Pryor, who traded some OSU swag for a tattoo, was suspended for 5 games (thanks Deadspin commenter).

The Ginger (Nerf) Hammer apparently thought the punishment fit the crime after viewing more of the security tape than any of us has seen to date. What could possibly be on that tape that would justify a professional athlete striking a woman at all, let alone so hard that it knocked her out? Unless she pulled a gun on him, I can't see any justification for it; and if she did have a gun, he shouldn't be suspended at all. So how does the NFL justify the mentality that smoking pot is worse than beating on a woman?

posted by tahoemoj at 02:49 PM on July 24

SportsFilter: The Thursday Huddle

Pirates suffer devastating injury

posted by tommytrump at 02:11 PM on July 24

SportsFilter: The Thursday Huddle

Sounds like the Ravens are satisfied the proper apologies have been made in the Ray Rice incident.

posted by yerfatma at 01:55 PM on July 24

stamps by 3

lions by 7

reds by 4

argos by 2

posted by argoal at 09:57 AM on July 24

SportsFilter: The Thursday Huddle

Talk about home-field advantage! The Yankees won last night's game because their home grounds crew was unable to get the tarp on to the field during a rainstorm, and the field was rendered unplayable. The Yankees had the lead after 5 innings, so the umpires called the game after the rain stopped and they were unable to get the field dried out.

posted by grum@work at 08:26 AM on July 24

Bartolo Colon Has Perfect Game Through 6 Innings

Freaky footnote: a few years ago, Colon's #40 was worn by a guy named...Robinson Cancel.

posted by beaverboard at 01:08 AM on July 24

SportsFilter: The Monday Huddle

Good counterpoint to the Super League: the qualifying rounds of the 2014-15 Europa League have already been running for a few weeks.

posted by owlhouse at 11:52 PM on July 23

Bartolo Colon Has Perfect Game Through 6 Innings

uc -- to spare you a grumming, Johan Santana threw the Mets' first (and only) no hitter just over two years ago.

posted by holden at 11:03 PM on July 23

Bartolo Colon Has Perfect Game Through 6 Innings

posted by holden at 11:00 PM on July 23

Bartolo Colon Has Perfect Game Through 6 Innings

I was on a good run for a while.

I usually wait until the no-no is through seven. But Bartolo Colon working a perfect game after six overcame my stitious. And he's not getting any younger.

posted by rcade at 09:49 PM on July 23

Bartolo Colon Has Perfect Game Through 6 Innings

rcade: master jinxer.

Are you only going to do this to teams with a serious no-hit drought?

posted by ursus_comiter at 09:09 PM on July 23

Edmonton by 8
B.C. by 7
Hamilton by 3
Saskatchewan by 12

posted by DrJohnEvans at 07:30 PM on July 23

Bartolo Colon Has Perfect Game Through 6 Innings

Dr. R. Cade, Chief Resident Colonoptimist

posted by beaverboard at 06:32 PM on July 23

Bartolo Colon Has Perfect Game Through 6 Innings

The toughest out left in the order, Robinson Cano, spoiled it with a base hit in the seventh.

posted by rcade at 05:57 PM on July 23

Bartolo Colon Has Perfect Game Through 6 Innings

posted by rcade at 05:36 PM on July 23

SportsFilter: The Monday Huddle

I never want to be the Armada or the Counter Armada. I always want to be Boise State.

posted by beaverboard at 01:38 PM on July 23

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

Joe Posnanski on Tom Glavine. Worth it for the personal story and

Atlanta Braves baseball: Better than getting hit in the head with a hammer, unless it's a doubleheader.

posted by yerfatma at 12:56 PM on July 23

SportsFilter: The Monday Huddle

Sorry, in print sometimes it's difficult to tell if we're arguing or not.

As much as I love the World Cup and watch every US match, friendlies and all, I don't follow any club soccer nearly as closely. However, college football (which I follow much more closely) is heading down the same path as we have been discussing. Over the last few years, there has been a lot of conference realignment, and though it has died down for now, it seems like it could easily swing back around to consolidating into the fabled super-conferences or even getting rid of conferences altogether and consolidating the top teams into a smaller elite division, leaving the rest behind. The level of competition might increase, but the sport is richer for having a broader range of teams.

posted by bender at 12:25 PM on July 23

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

Reading about the Champions Hockey League makes me realize that my dream of a "Hockey Champions Cup" tournament in September (instead of watching meaningless pre-season games on TV) will never happen.

In my dream, the following teams qualify for this one-month tournament:
- the playoff winners
- the regular season winners (or the playoff runners-up if the playoff winners were also the regular season winners

from the following leagues:

NHL
KHL
Finnish Elite League
Swedish Hockey League
Czech Extraliga
Swiss National League A
German Ice Hockey League
and two more teams that qualify from the other European leagues (to be determined later)

The 16 teams would be entered into a single-elimination tournament, played in 2-to-4 cities of the host country. The teams would be seeded so that teams from each league can not play each other until the finals, and the KHL/NHL teams wouldn't face each other until the final four.

The tournament would alternate between a North American host and a European host each year.

posted by grum@work at 10:44 AM on July 23

MetaFilter User Proposes New Site Called 'Sportsfilter'

I've been gone for a long time after being a daily visitor. I spend a lot less time on the web in general, and a lot of my sports surfing time is spent on various team and sport subreddits. I can't really say why, just that habits slowly change over time. There are many sites I used to visit daily that I haven't seen in years.

Just wanted to say hi to everyone and I'll try to poke my head in more often.

posted by mbd1 at 10:25 AM on July 23

SportsFilter: The Monday Huddle

Well, you kind of focused on the part of my comment that I considered to be less important and ignored my point, but I'll address your comment anyway ...

Maybe I agreed so much with everything else you said it didn't need a response?

I adopted Spurs for a while, but got tired of the enormous turnover of players that was necessary for them to stay within striking range of a Champions League spot. I wonder if that's how Euro Super League would feel, with a star player turnstile every year because of the fierce big-money Darwinism.

I hang out now in the Championship with Sheffield Wednesday -- ain't no big money mercenaries rolling in and out of Hillsborough -- and in the EPL watch West Ham lob it deep and hope for the best.

It's weird the NFL is so egalitarian. It isn't American for a rich man like Jerry Jones not to be able to buy achievement.

posted by rcade at 09:53 AM on July 23

SportsFilter: The Monday Huddle

Well, you kind of focused on the part of my comment that I considered to be less important and ignored my point, but I'll address your comment anyway:

Yes, someone has to be at the bottom of the league, and I'm certainly not saying that that team won't be Manchester United. The size of the super league matters. If it's 8 teams, then sure, MU could be the worst, but if this thing ever happened, it wouldn't be that small. If it's 20 teams, maybe they are down at the bottom sometimes, but I have a hard time imagining a lengthy stay as the worst team of the lot. The Yankees (of the last couple decades) spend more money than everyone else. They've had a couple of lousy seasons, but that doesn't last long.

As for this league drawing all of the talent, I would fully expect that the vast majority of the elite talent in the world would want to play for one of these teams, and that talent is enough to fill 20 teams. We were talking elsewhere about who moves aside to make room for James Rodriguez at RM, and that's today. All of the teams would be stacked. Some would be better than others, but all of them would be incredible, and the increased worldwide exposure would vastly increase all of their values.

And like I said above, I am not interested in seeing this happen. Though as I think about it and the money that could be made, it kind of seems like only a matter of time before this starts to happen.

posted by bender at 09:39 AM on July 23

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

A nice bookend to the Kiffin-inspired Tennessee tinkle torch clip that our main man posted here a few years back.

posted by beaverboard at 09:23 AM on July 23

SportsFilter: The Monday Huddle

I'm not getting the reasoning that Man U couldn't spend a decade in the cellar. Some elite team has to be the worst of the best. All of them would vacuum up the world's soccer talent. Someone's vacuum would be a Hoover instead of a Dyson.

As an EPL fan for a disreputably short time, I'd prefer the massive English football pyramid over a best-of-the-best, no-relegation league. If you lopped a few of the top teams off, it would enhance the reputations of the teams that moved into their places. I could live with that. Man U isn't just Man U fans. It's fans who enjoy hating Man U when they play them in the EPL.

It will be a shame when some scheme blows up Premiership relegation.

posted by rcade at 08:56 AM on July 23

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

Browns fan pisses on Art Modell's grave.

posted by rcade at 08:10 AM on July 23

SportsFilter: The Monday Huddle

Setting aside for a moment that I don't really expect that a top flight team like Man U could spend a decade in the cellar of this hypothetical super league considering the vacuum that the league would have for all of the elite talent, yes, I do think that the worst team in this league would still enjoy a continental and global audience that is well beyond what they have now. This league is MLB, if baseball was the world's favorite game.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying I want it to happen, but if it did happen, no question I want my team in it, not out of it.

posted by bender at 10:51 PM on July 22

SportsFilter: The Tuesday Huddle

The 40th birthday of the Gray Nicholls Scoop, the cricket bat that spawned a revolution. This makes me feel old.

posted by owlhouse at 10:21 PM on July 22

SportsFilter: The Monday Huddle

For the owners, it's not a question of winning, never has been.

It's only about franchise value, and eliminating competition. Every business owner would love to operate in a monopoly and, failing that, a cartel. The Euro Super League would be a cartel.

posted by owlhouse at 09:43 PM on July 22

SportsFilter: The Monday Huddle

But these teams are all headliners, and putting them into a single league would change that. Let's say this league starts tomorrow and Manchester United is in the bottom two or three places for the first decade. Does Man U really come out of that as valuable in 2024 as it was when this league began?

posted by rcade at 09:03 PM on July 22

SportsFilter: The Monday Huddle

That sounds like the killer to me. It's great to be Bayern or PSG or Barca/ Real in your current domestic league but losing to some other superpower would Devalue The Brand. Why not soak up the upside-down TV contracts and keep stomping your local opposition while the rigged game is still rigged? Losing one estrella* out of the galactico to injury every couple of years in a tournament is a small price to pay. As much as I complain about the NFL, the owners look like Marxists when compared to European football teams. A TV contract that pays all teams equally? Might as well dust off the guillotine! Let them eat transfer fees and loan players.

* Yes, I've been drinking, why do you ask?

posted by yerfatma at 08:31 PM on July 22

SportsFilter: The Monday Huddle

I don't see why not. The Browns are still extremely valuable, and their fans know they suck going into every season. It's worth quite a bit just to be on the biggest stage, never mind being the headliner.

posted by bender at 07:51 PM on July 22

SportsFilter: The Monday Huddle

Are these teams still as valuable when half of them are below average in Euro Super League and most or all of them won't be winning league championships year after year any more?

posted by rcade at 04:25 PM on July 22

SportsFilter: The Tuesday Huddle

Shows what I know. I also didn't know he was a Real Madrid fan. Sid Lowe provides a good rundown of the open questions about where he fits in and who is leaving now that Kroos and Rodriguez have arrived.

Not addressed: how the hell this all works under Financial Fair Play regardless of who leaves. Then again, Real and Barca have such huge incomes maybe it does. Which suggests they should remove the first two words from the title.

posted by yerfatma at 02:43 PM on July 22

SportsFilter: The Tuesday Huddle

Monaco vice-chairman Vadim Vasilyev said his club had no plans to sell Rodriguez, but were proud to be part of "one of the most significant transfers in football history". Vasilyev said: "The time came when the solution of a transfer was considered to be the most beneficial solution for all parties."

Translation:

posted by grum@work at 01:10 PM on July 22

SportsFilter: The Tuesday Huddle

Our previous discussion about the possibility of Rodriguez moving on from Monaco.

posted by grum@work at 01:07 PM on July 22

SportsFilter: The Tuesday Huddle

James Rodriguez jumped from Monaco to Madrid today, for about 80 million Euros.

Monaco double their money in a year. Then keep all of it because LOLTaxes.

posted by Mr Bismarck at 12:51 PM on July 22

SportsFilter: The Tuesday Huddle

Maple Leafs hire Kyle Dubas as assistant GM

posted by tommytrump at 12:36 PM on July 22

Pitcher Freaks Out Because of Bunt in 2-Run Game

A 5-run lead in the top of the 9th inning ... maybe. Two up in the fifth ... did someone test Lewis for psychotic drugs after the game?

posted by jjzucal at 11:55 AM on July 22

SportsFilter: The Tuesday Huddle

The Baltimore Orioles (1901-1902) connection to the existing New York Yankees franchise has been officially severed by the guys behind Baseball Reference (to line up with every other reference, and the Yankees/MLB themselves).

posted by grum@work at 11:33 AM on July 22

SportsFilter: The Monday Huddle

Clubs cannot withhold players during official international dates, but I'd like to see what happens if a couple of the big ones try.

One scenario a friend puts out which might see this happen:

The big European clubs (RM, Barca, Liverpool, Bayern Munich, Man U, Juventus, PSG, AC, Inter, etc..) decide enough is enough with losing players from injury or just being overtired from summer tournaments, as well as having to share the immense TV money with so many smaller clubs that they break off from UEFA and their naitonal FAs and finally launch the mooted Euro Super League.

This would be an American style league, no promotion/relegation, and destroy the TV value of all the domestic leagues and UEFA Champions League. The teams would be in a position similar to RM and Barca in Spain, only globally.

As this league is not sanctioned by FIFA/UEFA those august bodies tell the players that lining up for any of its games would disqualify them from playing for their national sides. Of course this is exactly what the teams planned for and they tell the players that the money will make it worthwhile.

An Irish friend and fellow Kopite says this will happen within 10 years, probably triggered by FIFA's insistence on staging 2022 WC in Qatar in the winter.

posted by billsaysthis at 11:23 AM on July 22

Pitcher Freaks Out Because of Bunt in 2-Run Game

I wonder how much of the rise in Unwritten Rules lawyering is down to defensive shifts. Most of it is probably down to ESPN making a big deal of every pitcher who barks at a hitter now, but some of the "You never do that!" crap might be cases like this. Lewis has no reason to bitch about a bunt in the middle of a game that's not a no-hitter, but he has doubleplus no reason to bitch about a guy hitting .220 dropping a bunt against an extreme shift. If you're going to move your fielders into a shift based on a player's tendencies, you can't get pissed if he changes his habits. Rasmus was just listening to the advice of Wee Willie Keeler.

posted by yerfatma at 10:57 AM on July 22

Calgary by 8
B.C. by 10
Hamilton by 15
Saskatchewan by 4

posted by bender at 09:16 AM on July 22

SportsFilter: The Tuesday Huddle

As if LeBron's return wasn't enough to cement Cleveland's status as the national sports epicenter, it is now being reported that Johnny Manziel is the current king of NFL merchandise.

I feel the need to balance things out a bit, so I'm off to build a bigger swag shrine to my man Hoyer.

posted by beaverboard at 08:56 AM on July 22

Edmonton by 3

British Columbia by 12

Hamilton by 7

Saskatchewan by 6

posted by rcade at 08:04 AM on July 22

Padres' Odrisamer Despaigne Throwing No-Hitter Through 7

For anyone that comes by at some point in the future: The Padres are the only major league team that's never had a pitcher throw a no-hitter.

posted by LionIndex at 12:02 AM on July 22

Edmonton by 7
BC by 16
Ottawa by 4
Saskatchewan by 10

posted by Ying Yang Mafia at 06:50 PM on July 21

SportsFilter: The Monday Huddle

Heavyweight boxer Tyson Fury is having a bad day.

He had a scheduled fight this weekend (a rematch against Dereck Chisora) canceled due to injury (Tyson's had this happen to him a couple times). This infuriated Tyson, who took to Twitter to vent his spleen, and tried to call out American Deontay Wilder (@BronzeBomber). However, he ended up getting the wrong handle and calling out English soccer lady Lucy Bronze (warning: NSFW language) (@LucyBronze)

It should be noted that Tyson Fury is considered not a bright man and is mostly famous for this:

posted by Bonkers at 05:42 PM on July 21

Pitcher Freaks Out Because of Bunt in 2-Run Game

That's a fine theory, but the Rangers players are on pace to lose 1,715 days to the DL. The players on the field who are beating themselves are mostly players who shouldn't be on the field at all.

And yet, they've likely been the best players on every team they've ever been on up to this point. The idea that they're not quite as good as other MLB-level players and teams is baffling to them, so the other teams must somehow be playing unfairly.

I've seen it before in situations where guys who think they're really good at stuff get smoked by guys who are very good at it -- you get a lot of complaints about showboating and suchlike.

posted by Etrigan at 04:24 PM on July 21

Pitcher Freaks Out Because of Bunt in 2-Run Game

The Rangers currently have 16 players on the DL. They've used 51 different players this season.

In comparison, the AL East leading Orioles have 7 players on the DL. They've used 35 different players this season.

posted by grum@work at 04:18 PM on July 21

Pitcher Freaks Out Because of Bunt in 2-Run Game

It seems to me that players don't like to exchange fisticuffs during brawls as much now that so many of them are millionaires. I wonder if that encourages the piddly little bitching about unwritten rules, since players subconsciously resent that they can't beat on each other any more.

posted by rcade at 04:03 PM on July 21

SportsFilter: The Monday Huddle

Rcade is currently grappling with how to tell Jerry Jones that there's a new sharif in town.

posted by beaverboard at 03:19 PM on July 21

Pitcher Freaks Out Because of Bunt in 2-Run Game

This is probably the most baffling use of unwritten rules I've ever seen. Usually there's something you could point to that, if you were feeling really touchy, you could construe as being disrespectful somehow. This one though, there's just nothing there.

I'm starting to think baseball needs unwritten rules just to have something to get worked up about. Baseball doesn't have the physical interaction with the opposing team that the other team sports have so there's less tangible things to get upset about. If you really want to hate another team, out of frustration most likely, and you don't have any hit batters or hard slides, you have to search and grasp for reasons why. Unwritten rules are conveniently not written down so you can always find one obscure enough that someone on the other team is bound to offend it out of ignorance.

posted by tron7 at 03:11 PM on July 21

SportsFilter: The Monday Huddle

Riquelme withheld himself from competing with different teams on different occasions for reasons less critical than life, death, or national honor.

posted by beaverboard at 01:57 PM on July 21

SportsFilter: The Monday Huddle

And after the game, at two in the morning, he took our players away. The very talented ones: Teixeira, Douglas, Fred. The rest are not so important.

Oof.

posted by grum@work at 01:54 PM on July 21

SportsFilter: The Monday Huddle

Shakhtar Donetsk's owner has confirmed six players have refused to return to Ukraine for the new season as conflict rages around the club's home city.

Brazilians Douglas Costa, Fred, Dentinho, Alex Teixiera and Ismaily plus Argentine striker Facundo Ferreyra remained in France following a friendly against Lyon on Saturday.

posted by rumple at 01:30 PM on July 21

SportsFilter: The Monday Huddle

Personal safety concerns . I suppose these do evolve from the current political mess.

Do players professional teams have the right to prohibit a player from World Cup competition?

posted by cixelsyd at 01:28 PM on July 21

SportsFilter: The Monday Huddle

Are you suggesting that political concerns will trump the desire to play in the World Cup for some players? I don't see that happening in Russia. I'd even be surprised it happened in Qatar. The Cup is such a rare opportunity that skipping one -- when you would be there otherwise -- would be an enormous blow to a career.

I'm surprised Lahm is done. He'd likely be there at 34 one last time, though he could've seen some decline and not start.

posted by rcade at 01:11 PM on July 21

SportsFilter: The Monday Huddle

He is leaving international competition at the top of his game. Also the first of many who will express no intention to participate in Russia.

posted by cixelsyd at 12:39 PM on July 21

SportsFilter: The Monday Huddle

When a headline link mentioned that a member of the WC champ German team was retiring from international competition, I was hoping it wouldn't be Lahm.

But it is.

posted by beaverboard at 10:59 AM on July 21

Edmonton by 6

British Columbia by 12

Ottawa by 5

Saskatchewan by 4

posted by tommytrump at 10:49 AM on July 21

Edmonton by 18

BC by 7

Ottawa by 11

Saskatchewan by 9

posted by goddam at 10:42 AM on July 21

Pitcher Freaks Out Because of Bunt in 2-Run Game

Oops. Last couple of seasons.

posted by Etrigan at 07:02 AM on July 21

CFL Pick 'Em, Week 5

My nephew (the one in Guelph) had to do a test for his Canadian residency. Edmonton by 12. So what kind of questions should you be asked? BC by 15. I'd like to hear your thoughts. Ottawa by 7. But no references to the Meech Lake Accords, Tim Hortons or Wayne Gretzky. Even Australians can carry on a conversation about those. Saskatchewan by 15.

posted by owlhouse at 12:09 AM on July 21

Edmonton by 14

BC by 21

Ottawa by 3

Saskatchewan by 10

posted by ic23b at 12:06 AM on July 21

Pitcher Freaks Out Because of Bunt in 2-Run Game

Over the next couple of seasons? I... honestly don't know if there is or not. How... how did you know that?!?

Seriously, though, when someone says "unwritten rules", whatever follows is just hot air. And as noted by DrJohnEvans, a shift is a risk that assumes a hitter can't reliably put it in a different location than their trend data suggests- so if you're wrong, then they reach first. Plus, 5th inning of a 2-0 game? Shit, I think bunting in a no-hitter with two outs in the 9th of a 9-0 laugher is totally legit, much less the 5th inning of a 2-0 game!

But the real worry for Texas is that when people start resorting to rules lawyering, it means they've completely beaten themselves already. Which would probably play some part in explaining why Texas has the worst record in the league.

posted by hincandenza at 11:56 PM on July 20

Edmonton by 10

BC by 10

Ottawa by 3

Saskatchewan by 7

posted by cixelsyd at 09:27 PM on July 20

Padres' Odrisamer Despaigne Throwing No-Hitter Through 7

Was it Leitner? I like him, but he's been doing the games since I was a kid (originally as the color guy for Jerry Coleman) so I don't really know any better.

posted by LionIndex at 09:10 PM on July 20

SportsFilter: The Sunday Huddle

Meanwhile, it was a busy German Grand Prix today.

Some Germans showed up with their living room.

Massa went upside down.

Kvyat caught fire.

And three different World Champions drove into Kimi, including this sandwich between Vettel and his own teammate, Alonso...

posted by Mr Bismarck at 09:08 PM on July 20

SportsFilter: The Sunday Huddle

Worth watching to hear the pronunciation of that name.

Finally.

Although I still want to hear Twellman and Darke have a run at it.

posted by Mr Bismarck at 09:01 PM on July 20

Pitcher Freaks Out Because of Bunt in 2-Run Game

Is it just me, or is there a weird spike in "unwritten rules" complaints over the next couple of seasons? Or are we just hearing about them more?

posted by Etrigan at 09:00 PM on July 20

CFL Pick 'Em, Week 5

In the battle of undefeateds, Edmonton comes away with a convincing victory. Plenty of sacks and drama in Ottawa's thrilling come-from-behind victory in their home opener. Defence also rules the day in Calgary, as the Stamps squeak by Hamilton, but defence was a bit more one-sided in B.C. as the Lions run the Als out of town.

EDM @ WPGTOR @ OTTHAM @ CGYMTL @ BC
ResultEdmonton by 23Ottawa by 1Calgary by 3B.C. by 36
Margin of Error16 to 301 to 12 to 425 to 47

Howard_T picks the Ottawa win to claim sole possession of first place, and hey! bender scored some points.

SpoFiteWPG @ MTLSOTT @ EDMSCGY @ TORSBC @ SSKSPointsTotal Points
Howard_T Ottawa Calgary B.C. 313
DrJohnEvans Calgary B.C. 212
JPREdmonton Ottawa Calgary B.C. 411
owlhouseEdmonton Calgary B.C. 311
rcade Calgary B.C. 211
tommytrumpEdmonton17 Calgary B.C. 411
cixelsydEdmonton Calgary 210
Reever Calgary B.C. 210
argoal Ottawa Calgary B.C. 39
goddam Calgary B.C. 29
Ying Yang MafiaEdmonton Calgary B.C. 38
ic23bEdmonton Calgary B.C. 35
benderEdmonton Ottawa B.C. 33

It's early, but some key matchups this week could determine momentum as we hit the quarter-pole of the season.

WEEK 5

Calgary @ Edmonton (Thursday, July 24)
Edmonton faces another undefeated team for the second week in a row. A Calgary win would topple Edmonton from first place. It's early, but these are the two best teams so far.

Winnipeg @ B.C. (Friday, July 25)
Battle for third place! B.C.'s on a roll while Winnipeg stumbled last weekwas it an aberration for the Bombers, or a trend?

Ottawa @ Hamilton (Saturday, July 26)
Ottawa's first win is in the books and they're looking to make it two. Hamilton's fresh off a bye, but still looking for their first win, and still stuck in Guelph to boot.

Toronto @ Saskatchewan (Saturday, July 26)
After a tough loss in Ottawa last week, Toronto's looking to rediscover some of the magic they found last time they played Saskatchewan. But the Argos' injuries are mounting, and Regina is not kind to visitors.

Good luck!

posted by DrJohnEvans at 08:44 PM on July 20

Pitcher Freaks Out Because of Bunt in 2-Run Game

I just... I've got nothing. Did Lewis also complain when the Blue Jays scored their first two runs?

posted by bender at 07:33 PM on July 20

SportsFilter: The Sunday Huddle

I want to know where girls like her were when I was 17. I mean, wowzers...she likes sports AND hunting? Her kind didn't exist in my youth...

posted by MeatSaber at 06:35 PM on July 20

Padres' Odrisamer Despaigne Throwing No-Hitter Through 7

Dan Murphy broke it up after 7 2/3. I'm grateful I don't have to listen to the Padres radio announcer any more. I'd rather travel up and down the Green River with Greg Maddux in a white panel van that reeks of bleach.

posted by rcade at 06:34 PM on July 20

SportsFilter: The Sunday Huddle

Or wear number 13 and play third bass for the Yankees...

posted by beaverboard at 06:29 PM on July 20

SportsFilter: The Sunday Huddle

Or work as the Trappist brewery spokeswoman Dubbelaxelle.

posted by rcade at 06:25 PM on July 20

SportsFilter: The Sunday Huddle

She's got a lot of options. She could switch her gender identity and change her name to Transaxelle.

posted by beaverboard at 12:31 PM on July 20

SportsFilter: The Sunday Huddle

I had never heard about her before, but holy cow she won the looks lottery. Some company in Belgium/Europe is going to sign her for sure, regardless of the photo.

posted by grum@work at 12:11 PM on July 20

SportsFilter: The Sunday Huddle

The rise and fall of Axelle Despiegelaere. Worth watching to hear the pronunciation of that name.

posted by rcade at 11:40 AM on July 20