FanDuel - WFBC

Recent Comments

Peyton Manning’s squeaky-clean image was built on lies

If this gains more traction, neither Archie nor Peyton will be going anywhere near a broadcast studio in the future.

Waiting to see where/when/if the first Peyton ads get pulled. Hopefully, the "This is Sportscenter" all-Manning spots are already DQ'ed.

I would think most people of the Mannings' stature would be content to pay the lawyers and get the original complaint suppressed and buried. But apparently, the Mannings are not most people. Why simply safeguard your reputation by any slimeball means necessary and quietly move on when you can violate a confidentiality agreement while trying to further burnish the family name?

posted by beaverboard at 03:34 PM on February 13

Peyton Manning’s squeaky-clean image was built on lies

It wasn't swept under here. We had a discussion about it at the time, and I have brought it up repeatedly in columns and my own blog posts.

Fivehead is a fucking tool.

posted by wfrazerjr at 03:05 PM on February 13

Peyton Manning’s squeaky-clean image was built on lies

With Manning widely expected to retire any day, is it a coincidence this comes out forcefully now that he is no longer needed for generating TV "storylines"?

posted by rumple at 02:34 PM on February 13

Peyton Manning’s squeaky-clean image was built on lies

I was just coming here to post this, too. That is one hell of a story to be swept under the rug for 13 years.

posted by bender at 02:17 PM on February 13

SportsFilter: The Saturday Huddle

Nice.

Also, I'm astounded how beautiful 720p60fps looks on Youtube. It's an amazing world to live in when I remember it taking a minute to download an ASCII image when the internet was just starting out...

posted by grum@work at 01:19 PM on February 13

SportsFilter: The Friday Huddle

It's annoying hearing all the ESPN talking heads screaming about how LSU football will never shutdown because it's Religion. Nobody disputes that football is religion. But the issue isn't shutting down football just 'cause, but rather that classes would be cancelled for all students making all athletes ineligible. Everyone will be caught in the crossfire. But who needs nuance on talk TV?

posted by jmd82 at 12:28 PM on February 13

SportsFilter: The Saturday Huddle

Mitch Marner

posted by tommytrump at 09:41 AM on February 13

SportsFilter: The Friday Huddle

LSU football is under the gun, thanks to the university running out of money. The athletic department pays for itself, of course, but without classes to attend, all of the players would be academically ineligible.

posted by Etrigan at 03:36 PM on February 12

Wenger's Arsenal

I loved the 2-0 win over Man City last year, but there were some dire games immediately following that. I admit the main reason I like the team is because of the style.

I'm just excited that the Gunners are coming to the US this summer. I figured with Kroenke moving the Rams to LA it would happen at some point - I just didn't expect it to be so soon.

posted by sbacharach at 12:44 PM on February 12

SportsFilter: The Friday Huddle

A blood quantum test is being applied in the All-Native Basketball Tournament, which is a huge deal along the BC & Alaska coast.

posted by rumple at 12:19 PM on February 12

The Wow Factor

This gives another angle on the true cost to the owners of the Goodell commissionership. While Goodell was distracted and occupied once again grossly mishandling a critical situation (Ray Rice), this process got out of hand and he showed no ability to gain any sort of control over it thereafter.

Once all the filings pursuant to Deflategate and other debacles are over and done with, it would be interesting to run a tally to see how many billions Goodell's presence and management style (or lack thereof) has cost the league, both directly and indirectly. He has a knack for compounding one mess with another; none of them end simply or inexpensively in terms of money, public perception, or prestige.

If the NFL was being run on a cash basis with no payment trails out of a private hangar at LaGuardia Airport, Goodell would have been rolled up in a rug and double bunked with Jimmy Hoffa a long time ago.

I hope Don Shula is getting a piece of the NFL owners' steakhouse action.

posted by beaverboard at 11:02 AM on February 12

The Wow Factor

Great read. My takeaways from the article:

1. An NFL owner can be around for a quarter-century and still be called part of the "new guard" (Jerrah).

2. The NFL had two bidders on the $90 million Inglewood land: Kroenke and NFL executive Eric Grubman, either for himself or another entity. What a mess! Roger Goodell is a joke.

3. Both stadium proposals being 100% privately financed is a nice exception to absconding with hundreds of millions in public money.

4. The Carson plan included a farmer's market. How did that not cinch the deal?

5. The St. Louis Rams had a league-low valuation of $930 million in 2014. That gives me hope the Jaguars won't eventually be shipped there.

6. NFL owners spend a lot of time at steakhouses.

posted by rcade at 10:09 AM on February 12

SportsFilter: The Thursday Huddle

I got an interesting email about MLB.tv. Check it out.

posted by NoMich at 09:11 PM on February 11

Vince Carter: The Lion in Winter

Excellent article, and I really hope he signs a one-day contract with the Raptors when he's ready to call it quits. He was worshiped, then hated, then beloved again in Toronto.

posted by grum@work at 07:44 PM on February 11

The Wow Factor

Fascinating. I'd love to see pictures of that LA Rams office.

posted by Rock Steady at 05:45 PM on February 11

NFL Playoff Pick 'Em Contest Winner: Tron7

Put me in accord with the additional wild-card lock. It makes sense.

posted by Howard_T at 05:18 PM on February 11

SportsFilter: The Thursday Huddle

throwing their warm ups on the local sideline reporter

It's mostly Jared Sullinger who does this, and yes, Chris Mannix does get along well with the players. He's part of the local broadcast team (Comcast Sports Network, New England), that also includes Mike Gorman, play-by-play announcer for the Celtics for the past 35 years, Tommy Heinsohn (home games only) and former Celtic Brian Scalabrini. Since they are the "home" broadcast team, the relationship with players and coaches is on non-controversial terms. In other words, no hostile questions, support for the team, and more a promotional viewpoint than a strict reporting viewpoint.

posted by Howard_T at 05:12 PM on February 11

SportsFilter: The Thursday Huddle

If that wasn't scripted, that was a very good/fast/funny response by the reporter.

posted by grum@work at 04:26 PM on February 11

SportsFilter: The Thursday Huddle

For some strange reason, the Celtics have a habit of throwing their warm ups on the local sideline reporter. I'm guessing he gets along with them given his recent reaction:

posted by yerfatma at 01:49 PM on February 11

NFL Playoff Pick 'Em Contest Winner: Tron7

I'm digging the special-night lock rule, with one wild card.

posted by rcade at 09:59 AM on February 11

Senators acquire Phaneuf from Maple Leafs in nine-player deal

Well, BB-Ref has Curry's VORP at 32.0 in 6+ seasons and Thomas at 37.5 in 13 seasons so while it was going out a limb, I guess I agree with you. Plus Curry's best year far outshines Thomas'. Wow, you were right about the Senators, guess they can book their tickets.

posted by yerfatma at 08:25 AM on February 11

Senators acquire Phaneuf from Maple Leafs in nine-player deal

The Senators aren't currently in the playoff picture...they're not even holding the camera. Saying this trade puts them is the East Finals is like saying that Stephon Curry right now is a better point guard all-time than Isiah Thomas...

posted by MeatSaber at 11:27 PM on February 10

Pace Mannion NBA Pick 'Em: Week 15

Well crap. Lousy snow kept me stuck in traffic and I didn't get home before the tipoff of the CLE/LAL game. Such is life.

Feb 10 Portland by 7

Feb 11 Thunder by 17 SLAM

Feb 12 US by 15? Hell, I don't know.

Feb 14 East by 10

I'll hit the rest early next week.

posted by Ufez Jones at 08:36 PM on February 10

NFL Playoff Pick 'Em Contest Winner: Tron7

I think limiting locks is the way to go. Allows for too great a swing in the standings week to week otherwise. I like Howard_T's idea, with an additional "wild card" lock for a total of four.

posted by Goyoucolts at 07:56 PM on February 10

Pace Mannion NBA Pick 'Em: Week 15

Feb. 10
Cleveland by 20
Houston by 6

Feb. 12
U.S. by 10

posted by rcade at 05:03 PM on February 10

Pace Mannion NBA Pick 'Em: Week 15

Oh, mother effer! Thanks tron.

February 19
BOS by 8

posted by NoMich at 03:07 PM on February 10

Pace Mannion NBA Pick 'Em: Week 15

What's really sad is that you pretty much missed a week and you're still way ahead of me. /sigh

My advice: make picks for all of the games.

Fri. Feb. 19 10:30 p.m. ET Boston at Utah ESPN

posted by tron7 at 03:04 PM on February 10

Pace Mannion NBA Pick 'Em: Week 15

MIN by 6

Make a mental note to check to see who is officiating before slam dunking a Clippers game.

Wednesday Feb 10

Golden State by 9

Saturday Feb 21

OKC by 11
Chicago by 16

posted by tron7 at 03:00 PM on February 10

NFL Playoff Pick 'Em Contest Winner: Tron7

I would limit the locks in some manner. Perhaps allowing locks only on Thursday night, Sunday night, and Monday Night, would enjance the "special" nature of those games.

posted by Howard_T at 02:59 PM on February 10

Pace Mannion NBA Pick 'Em: Week 15

I'm surprised that I was able to open the lead a bit this week. I really thought the Pelicans might be able to beat Lakers and Clippers would do better against a vulnerable Minnesota team. So tonight, wearing my penitential ashes, I will be able to vent my wrath against Doc Rivers and his charges. My son and I will meet at the Paulaner Beer Garden in North Station for a quick Hacker-Pschorr Gold, grab a couple of slices of pizza (and another beer) across the street, then proceed to the TD Garden for a visit to the microbrewery draft beer garden in the balcony, whence we will weave our way to our seats. With that sort of strengthening, the game will be enjoyable. Now to the picks.

10 February

Cleveland by 8 Kevin Love is out, the offense will have to be reworked some.
Houston by 4

11 February

Oklahoma City by 14 with a Sooner State SLAM

12 February

USA by 8 The team rosters for those who want to use logic vs flipping a coin.

14 February

West by 14 The NBA delivers a big, wet Valentine's kiss in a game with zero defense.

19 February

Oklahoma City by 15
Boston by 4

20 February

Golden State by 6

21 February

Oklahoma City by 12
Chicago by 7 Butler is not badly injured, Dunleavy is back, and Rose is playing well.

I consider the games Tuesday to be a bit of time on the bench to get a few extra minutes of rest around the halftime break. While I might have used the games to pad the lead, the reverse might have been true.

posted by Howard_T at 02:50 PM on February 10

NFL Playoff Pick 'Em Contest Winner: Tron7

Maybe max out locks to half the available games, therefore making it a strategic decision instead of just carpet-bombing your selections with "lock".

posted by grum@work at 02:41 PM on February 10

GSW by 10

February 21
CLE by 10
CHI by 14

posted by NoMich at 02:33 PM on February 10

Texans Owner Robert McNair: Cherokees Can't Hold Their Whiskey

I feel like Bill Burr's take on these incidents is a relevant one (and hilarious).

posted by hincandenza at 02:27 PM on February 10

You're welcome.

Our results are official, and Tron7 is engaging in deliberation over whether winning a Gregg Easterbrook book is preferential to not winning one. We should run a prediction contest on that.

How do people feel about unlimited locks next season, regular and/or playoffs? I'm still undecided on that one.

posted by rcade at 02:08 PM on February 10

Pace Mannion NBA Pick 'Em: Week 15

I missed the early game Tuesday, distracted by the Super Bowl. Apologies to all, but mostly Howard_T because he would've used the game to grow his lead.

I thought it would be fun to throw the two All-Star games into the mix.

This week I was taught a valuable lesson about remembering to pick games.

posted by rcade at 01:58 PM on February 10

Pace Mannion NBA Pick 'Em: Week 15

GS @ WASMIN @ LACNY @ DETLAL @ NOIND @ ATLSA @ DALOKC @ GSLAC @ MIA
ResultGS by 13MIN by 6DET by 6LAL by 3ATL by 6SA by 16GS by 8LAC by 7
Margin9 to 174 to 84 to 82 to 44 to 811 to 216 to 105 to 9

Howard wins the week, expanding his lead. I forget to submit picks and fall to fourth. Sad trombone.

SpoFiteGS @ WASSMIN @ LACSNY @ DETSLAL @ NOSIND @ ATLSSA @ DALSOKC @ GSSLAC @ MIASWeekSeason
Howard_TGS13  DET4 ATL++8SAGSLAC858552
Ufez JonesGS14  DET   ATL6SA++ GS8  48518
tron7GS14LAC--DET7  ATL SA13GS LAC 34477
rcadeGS16             8463
NoMichGS++ DET8  ATL8SA GS8  46453

Rules

Pick the winner and spread for each game. Score 5 points if the team wins, 3 more points if your spread is close and another 2 if you hit the spread exactly.

At your option, make one game a slam dunk to triple your score in victory or lose 5 points in defeat.

Read the detailed rules on the first week's post.

If SportsFilter is down and you need to submit your picks, you can send them in email to me.

This Week's Games

Wed.Feb. 108 p.m. ETL.A. Lakers at ClevelandESPN
Wed.Feb. 1010:30 p.m. ETHouston at PortlandESPN
Thu.Feb. 118 p.m. ETNew Orleans at Oklahoma CityTNT
Fri.Feb. 129 p.m. ETU.S.A. at WorldTNT
Sun.Feb. 148 p.m. ETWest at EastTNT
Fri.Feb. 198 p.m. ETIndiana at Oklahoma CityESPN
Fri.Feb. 1910:30 p.m. ETBoston at UtahESPN
Sat.Feb. 208:30 p.m. ETGolden State at L.A. ClippersABC
Sun.Feb. 213:30 p.m. ETCleveland at Oklahoma CityABC
Sun.Feb. 218 p.m. ETL.A. Lakers at ChicagoESPN

Ten games this week, including two All-Star games. The Lakers get two games, Golden State and L.A. Clippers provide a nice preview of a potential Western Conference Finals and LeBron takes the Cavs to Oklahoma City. Donald Trump picks the World to beat the U.S.

posted by rcade at 01:56 PM on February 10

Texans Owner Robert McNair: Cherokees Can't Hold Their Whiskey

posted by beaverboard at 10:12 AM on February 10

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

Patchers and citchers report next week. I may have to purchase another season of MLB.tv this year.

posted by NoMich at 09:19 AM on February 10

Texans Owner Robert McNair: Cherokees Can't Hold Their Whiskey

Congrats to McNair, who is capable of being an asshole while stone sober. Love what prompted the response from him: "[H]e was distraught over how much swearing there was [on Hard Knocks] and joked that Coach Bill O'Brien should introduce a cuss jar. I asked McNair if he was as sensitive to other offensive language, specifically the N.F.L. team in the nation's capital's being named the Redskins."

posted by yerfatma at 08:32 AM on February 10

Roger Goodell's unstoppable football machine

Great read. Thanks for posting this.

posted by Ying Yang Mafia at 07:44 AM on February 10

SportsFilter: The Tuesday Huddle

Duck.

posted by Mr Bismarck at 08:14 PM on February 09

Texans Owner Robert McNair: Cherokees Can't Hold Their Whiskey

Fuuuck.

Seriously, do none of these people employ PR professionals who can tell them "You will gain zero by saying anything on this issue. Just smile and nod and change the subject."?

posted by Etrigan at 08:04 PM on February 09

Senators acquire Phaneuf from Maple Leafs in nine-player deal

I agree somewhat with cixelsyd that Toronto has executed a very favorable salary dump, one that was necessary if the Leafs are to do anything about turning around their fortunes. From the Ottawa point of view it looks like a decent deal. Ottawa is looking at this season, making the playoffs, and getting a bit further than a one-and-done series. Phaneuf is a top 4 defenseman, a pretty solid player, and just might be the piece that gets Senators at least as far as the East finals.

posted by Howard_T at 05:33 PM on February 09

Senators acquire Phaneuf from Maple Leafs in nine-player deal

His return to Toronto should be interesting...

posted by grum@work at 03:53 PM on February 09

Texans Owner Robert McNair: Cherokees Can't Hold Their Whiskey

If anything, you'd think that the owners would vote for the name change just so they could remove this ticking time bomb from their midst. As long as that offensive name is around for people to ask them questions, there remains a distinct chance that any one of them will say something stupid about it face the (appropriate) heat for their remarks.

Once the team becomes "Washington Warriors" or "Washington Americans" or "Washington Whatevers", then they'll never have to talk about "those people" again.

posted by grum@work at 03:33 PM on February 09

Texans Owner Robert McNair: Cherokees Can't Hold Their Whiskey

"Old, Rich, White Guy Says Something Insensitive" is the new "Dog Bites Man" headline.

posted by grum@work at 03:28 PM on February 09

SportsFilter: The Tuesday Huddle

Martina Hingis' third act.

posted by yerfatma at 01:40 PM on February 09

Senators acquire Phaneuf from Maple Leafs in nine-player deal

Toronto just took a massive dump on the Senators.

posted by cixelsyd at 01:16 PM on February 09

NFL Playoff Pick 'Em Contest Winner: Tron7

Well done, tron, and kudos Ufez. And echoing thanks to rcade for the work throughout the season.

posted by tahoemoj at 11:50 AM on February 09

NFL Playoff Pick 'Em Contest Winner: Tron7

Congrats tron and thanks rcade.

posted by cixelsyd at 11:18 AM on February 09

Peyton Manning Turns Super Bowl Moment into Beer Promotion

Would have liked the score to be closer to add a bit more suspense in the 4th quarter but I actually really enjoyed the game. Some all time great defensive performances on both sides most notably Ealy and Norman for the Panthers and Miller, Ware and Roby for Denver.

posted by cixelsyd at 11:15 AM on February 09

NFL Playoff Pick 'Em Contest Winner: Tron7

I think this is my 3rd Costanza in the last ~9 months.

You finished behind me and I forgot to vote! Which reminds me, wasn't I supposed to do something today . . .?

posted by yerfatma at 08:15 AM on February 09

Peyton Manning Turns Super Bowl Moment into Beer Promotion

Peyton knew what was riding on this game. Broncos glory? His own legacy and a storybook career ending? To hell with that.

To the victors go the spoils.

There must be one massive piss-a-thon going on right now in Azerbaijan with the jettisoned cases of Panthers title beer, being hosted by that nation's most deserving people.

Peyton may have upset a lot of brewmanic Coloradans with his Bud plug, to the point where the state's hallowed source of Rocky Mountain spring water may be put under armed guard for local use only.

Which is too bad for Busch, because the way they brew their beer, they need all the extra water they can get.

posted by beaverboard at 10:24 PM on February 08

SportsFilter: The Monday Huddle

Beastmode is now set to "off".

posted by Bonkers at 08:57 PM on February 08

Peyton Manning Turns Super Bowl Moment into Beer Promotion

So, I skipped watching the SB (yes, I'm that guy). I just had a feeling that this wouldn't be a good game. Looks like I was correct.

Also, I got the spread right, but the team wrong, so my predictive powers are weak.

posted by Bonkers at 08:37 PM on February 08

SportsFilter: The Sunday Huddle

The Pro Football Hall of Fame selection committee discussed whether to induct Eddie DeBartolo Jr.

For some reason, I read this as them discussing to "indict" Eddie DeBartolo, Jr.

posted by Bonkers at 08:25 PM on February 08

Congrats tron7!

posted by tommytrump at 08:14 PM on February 08

NFL Playoff Pick 'Em Contest Winner: Tron7

I think this is my 3rd Costanza in the last ~9 months.

Gonna go update my LinkedIn profile.

(congrats tron!)

posted by Ufez Jones at 07:37 PM on February 08

Congratulations tron7.

posted by ic23b at 05:40 PM on February 08

Peyton Manning Turns Super Bowl Moment into Beer Promotion

By the time the 3rd quarter was halfway through, I was desperately running through the channel guide to see if there was anything -- anything at all -- on one of the off-the-wall cable channels that would be more attractive than this game. I have to agree with NoMich that the timing of some of the calls, and especially the non-calls, was a bit suspect. This game was not one the NFL should hold up as an example of a well-played exhibition of football. It was a disappointment to me, not for the outcome but for the execution of play.

First full workout for Red Sox pitchers and catchers is in 11 days. I can't wait.

posted by Howard_T at 04:52 PM on February 08

How did tron7 do it?

Simple answer: The game, indeed the entire season, was planned by the NFL as the "Peyton Manning Retirement Tour" as a celebration of the greatness of the NFL's "Fair-Haired Boy". Obviously, tron7 was privy to the highest councils of the planning of the events. He was smart enough to have quietly lurked in the background until the moment (Super Bowl) when the conventional wisdom would be turned on its head. Thus, tron 7 jumps from 6th to the top step of the podium and rules the SpoFite prognostication kingdom.

Ok, ok, the above from a disgruntled Patriots fan. I will go to my re-gruntling seminars to become a responsible fan, and I will learn to marvel at the grace of Roger the All-Powerful of the NFL. I will also learn how exceptional an achievement is tron7's win, and I will congratulate him. (See, the re-gruntling is working already)

In all seriousness, good job tron7. Yours truly lost all semblance of hope when the playoffs started, but that didn't mean it stopped being fun. I really think the big winner in the contest was a guy who finished in 13th place. Thanks much, rcade, for running this.

posted by Howard_T at 04:41 PM on February 08

NFL Playoff Pick 'Em Contest Winner: Tron7

I've submitted my name in nomination for the Gov. John Kasich Prize, awarded to the SpoFi contestant who displays a resolute determination to consistently remain mid-pack.

In my upcoming "Pick 'Em Pelotonics" instructional DVD, one of my principal play-it-safe teaching points will be: No Locks, No Bagels.

posted by beaverboard at 04:28 PM on February 08

Peyton Manning Turns Super Bowl Moment into Beer Promotion

It only took the revenue from selling 55 tickets to fund the cost of the special Super Bowl 50 turf at Levi's stadium. And it showed. Bogus, slippery shit.

posted by beaverboard at 03:57 PM on February 08

Peyton Manning Turns Super Bowl Moment into Beer Promotion

Seriously, that was one of the most blatantly intentional facemasks I've ever seen. I wouldn't have argued if they had decided to toss him.

posted by tron7 at 03:38 PM on February 08

NFL Playoff Pick 'Em Contest Winner: Tron7

I'm going to drink a lot of Budweiser tonight, I promise you that.

posted by tron7 at 03:36 PM on February 08

Peyton Manning Turns Super Bowl Moment into Beer Promotion

I assume about half of Aqib Talib's bonus check will be taken back by the NFL.

posted by Etrigan at 03:05 PM on February 08

SportsFilter: The Monday Huddle

Fourth Down Bot doesn't care any more.

posted by grum@work at 02:49 PM on February 08

NFL Playoff Pick 'Em Contest Winner: Tron7

Shit. I wish I'd lost by three more points. Now my chickenshit decision to split my head/heart picks on the DEN/NE game has come back to haunt me.

And definitely ditch the quantum pick. We dodged a bullet this time.

posted by grum@work at 02:49 PM on February 08

Nice win, Tron7!

Results are preliminary and will be declared official at noon Wednesday. Check them over for errors.

If Holden had picked himself to win, he would've scored 115 points. That would have tied a Tron7 who did not win the contest but lost to one who did, tearing a hole in the fabric of space/time.

I plan to retire that bonus next time around. I also would like to double the pick-the-winning-team points in the conference championship round (from 5 to 10) and double it again for the Super Bowl (10 to 20). That way the same amount of points is available for picking winning teams in all four rounds of the playoffs.

Any objections?

posted by rcade at 02:36 PM on February 08

NFL Playoff Pick 'Em Contest Winner: Tron7

Wow, great job, tron. Six places! That might be some sort of record in these here SpoFi prognostication games.

posted by NoMich at 02:36 PM on February 08

Good game, y'all.

posted by Goyoucolts at 02:34 PM on February 08

Current Standings

SportsFilter held an NFL Playoff Pick 'Em contest with a first prize of Gregg Easterbrook's new book The Game's Not Over: In Defense of Football.

PlayerTotalW1W2W3W4PlAvg
jagsnumberone5810131817414.500
rumple5013151111412.500
ufez jones471030-29411.750
billsaysthis3030------130.000
rock steady1515------115.000
hincandenza1515------115.000

Tron7 jumps from sixth place to first, winning the week and earning 18 points on bonuses. Ufez Jones takes Costanza glory.

In bonuses, after Tron7, Grum@work, Cixelsyd and Jagsnumberone had 12. Carolina broke locks for Tahoemoj, Cixelsyd, Howard_T, Ic23b, Bender, Mrk124 and Rcade). Nobody nailed the 14-point spread.

Super Bowl Results

Denver by 14 over Carolina

Bonuses

Kicker of first field goal: Brandon McManus (Den) -- tommytrump, Goyoucolts, mrk124, rcade, Ufez Jones, tron7, beaverboard, holden

Scorer of first TD: Malik Jackson (Den)

Most passing yards: Cam Newton (Car), 265 -- tahoemoj, cixelsyd, tommytrump, Howard_T, ic23b, jagsnumberone, Goyoucolts, bender, mrk124, rcade, Ufez Jones, tron7, beaverboard, holden

Most rushing yards: C.J. Anderson (Den), 90 -- tahoemoj, cixelsyd, ic23b, grum@work, rumple, tron7

Most receiving yards: Emmanuel Sanders (Den), 83 -- NoMich, cl

Player with sack or partial sack: Luke Kuechly (Howard_T, ic23b, jagsnumberone, bender), Charles Johnson (tahoemoj), Kony Ealy of Carolina, Von Miller (cixelsyd, NoMich, grum@work, rumple, Goyoucolts, mrk124, tron7, holden), DeMarcus Ware (rcade, Ufez Jones), Chris Harris Jr., Derek Wolfe (beaverboard), Darian Stewart of Denver

Player with interception: Kony Ealy (Car), T.J. Ward (Den)

Player with first turnover: Cam Newton (Car) -- cixelsyd, NoMich, jagsnumberone, grum@work, tron7, cl

MVP: Von Miller (Den) -- jagsnumberone, grum@work

Contest winner: tron7 (who did pick himself)

Full contest rules here.

Check your score on the results spreadsheet at Google Docs.

posted by rcade at 02:26 PM on February 08

Peyton Manning Turns Super Bowl Moment into Beer Promotion

He went out doing what he loved . . . selling mediocre crap to football audiences.

posted by yerfatma at 01:39 PM on February 08

Peyton Manning Turns Super Bowl Moment into Beer Promotion

Speaking of monetary compensation, the national anthem stadium flyovers do not cost the league one cent. A request is put in to the particular service branch by the league and the flyover is considered part of flight training and pilot hours requirements. It's designated as a training exercise and budgeted for.

For everything else related to the connection between the NFL and the military, the damn league charges the armed forces up the behind for the privilege of being associated with pro football.

Wherever Denver's Budweiser was being poured last night, Jordan Norwood must have been hearing it big time from his teammates about being caught from behind by DE Mario Addison during his record setting punt return. Addison looked like was running the anchor lap of an Olympic 4 x 100 relay. Great form and mechanics.

posted by beaverboard at 01:31 PM on February 08

SportsFilter: The Monday Huddle

I thought Coldplay might be good during the halftime show.

I thought wrong.

It's weird when your headliner is dressed like the least interesting thing on the field, yields way to two better headliners of recent years and then doesn't do much of anything to accompany them. (Bruno Mars and Beyonce were good, though.)

The only thing Coldplay led that worked was the montage of past halftime acts, which put the band in the background or didn't show them at all.

posted by rcade at 11:32 AM on February 08

Peyton Manning Turns Super Bowl Moment into Beer Promotion

The officiating was generally pretty good, but when they got things wrong, they came at really inopportune times for the Panthers. Yeah, yeah, I know, I'm a sore loser. I still don't understand how the non-catch call on Cotchery at the beginning of the game was held up on the review. That killed that drive. The boinked field goal by Gano should've been re-kicked because Talib wasn't just bare offside, he was really, really offside. There were a few others that grinded my gears, but whatever. That was a terrible game. A million stupid penalties committed by both teams, turn overs galore, derp plays and generally shitty offense.

posted by NoMich at 11:32 AM on February 08

Peyton Manning Turns Super Bowl Moment into Beer Promotion

I had no idea they were such hypocrites. If that really is Manning's way around it, then good for him (especially if he owns stakes in it).

posted by grum@work at 09:54 AM on February 08

Peyton Manning Turns Super Bowl Moment into Beer Promotion

In 2014 after a playoff game, Manning answered a question by saying, "What's weighing on my mind is how soon I can get a Bud Light in my mouth."

I have a theory about what's going on here. Around a decade ago the NFL banned alcohol promotion by players even though the owners are making huge money from it. Manning's mad that he can't do a deal with Budweiser so he's doing an unpaid one anyway to poke the league in the eye.

posted by rcade at 08:28 AM on February 08

Peyton Manning Turns Super Bowl Moment into Beer Promotion

He also owns a stake in a couple of Budweiser distributors.

posted by Rock Steady at 08:24 AM on February 08

Peyton Manning Turns Super Bowl Moment into Beer Promotion

Let the boys enjoy the moment ... with a Budweiser.

There's something appallingly beautiful about this. Mr. Love of the Game gets a magical moment and when millions watch to see his emotional reaction, he gives us an NFL-unsanctioned beer promotion.

posted by rcade at 08:19 AM on February 08

Peyton Manning Turns Super Bowl Moment into Beer Promotion

Manning owns 21 Papa John franchises in the state of Colorado. That's his main income after his retirement, and he probably has a strong relationship with him.

Manning had probably practiced his celebratory speech in order to avoid sounding too robotic, but then ended up sounding that way by using the same speech twice.

I'm just glad he didn't announce his retirement immediately after the game. Let the boys enjoy the moment.

posted by grum@work at 08:18 AM on February 08

SportsFilter: The Sunday Huddle

beaverboard: There was a point in the game at which I would have touted Kony Ealy for MVP.
So in other words... KONY 2016?

posted by hincandenza at 05:53 AM on February 08

SportsFilter: The Sunday Huddle

Given the length of time and the brutality of the sport, I was VERY surprised that only one Super Bowl MVP (of the 50..two people tied one year) had passed away.

I couldn't help but notice how many of them were walking very gingerly, or with a limp...

posted by grum@work at 01:07 AM on February 08

SportsFilter: The Sunday Huddle

There was a point in the game at which I would have touted Kony Ealy for MVP. If not for the heroics of Von Miller & Co., he could have been a latter day Chuck Howley: MVP for the losing team in an uninspiring, error-filled game.

posted by beaverboard at 10:31 PM on February 07

SportsFilter: The Sunday Huddle

This game sucks

posted by NoMich at 09:17 PM on February 07

SportsFilter: The Sunday Huddle

They shoulda had Electric Wizard do a half hour version of Legalize Drugs and Murder complete with a human sacrifice for the half time show.

posted by NoMich at 08:45 PM on February 07

SportsFilter: The Sunday Huddle

Well, that was a turd of a half.

posted by NoMich at 08:23 PM on February 07

NFL Playoff Pick 'Em: Super Bowl 0x32 Edition

Broncos 7 Lock
McManus
Stewart
Newton
Stewart
Miller
Harris
Manning
GYC

posted by holden at 06:48 PM on February 07

NFL Playoff Pick 'Em: Super Bowl 0x32 Edition

Denver by 4 (27-23 with Gano missing a PAT)

Total score: 50

First FG: McManus
First TD: Funchess
QB with most passing yards: Newton
Player with most rushing yards: Newton...(by design via Wade Phillips' game plan)
Player with most receiving yards: G. Olsen
Player with sack: Wolfe
Player with interception: K. Coleman
Player with first turnover: Ginn Jr.
Game MVP: Emmanuel Sanders

Interception - Kurt Coleman
First turnover - Cam Newton
Game MVP - Peyton Manning
Spofi winner - cl

posted by cl at 06:00 PM on February 07

SportsFilter: The Sunday Huddle

I was snowboarding up at Steamboat Springs this weekend and caught a bit of banter between a Broncos fan and a Patriots fan. There were a few solid jabs back and forth but the one that really brought the house down: "Tom Brady skis in his jeans." In Colorado, nothing bites as hard as calling someone a gaper.

posted by tron7 at 05:12 PM on February 07

NFL Playoff Pick 'Em: Super Bowl 0x32 Edition

Denver by 10 LOCK

Total score - 44

First field goal - McManus

First touchdown - Cj Anderson

Most passing yards - Cam Newton

Most rushing yards - CJ Anderson

Most receiving yards - Olsen

Sack or partial sack - Von Miller

Interception - Talib

First turnover- Cam Newton

Pick the game's MVP - CJ Anderson

Contest Winner: tron7 - My best chance at winning is picking myself to win, right?

posted by tron7 at 03:13 PM on February 07

NFL Playoff Pick 'Em: Super Bowl 0x32 Edition

Sure, let's get my third Costanza in the past few months. Why the hell not?

Carolina by 17
Total Score: 47
First FG: McManus
First TD: Greg Olsen
Passing: Cam
Rushing: Stewart
Receiving: Olsen
Sack: D-Ware
Interception: Chris Harris
First turnover: Ted Ginn Jr.
MVP: Cam
Contest winner: Grum

posted by Ufez Jones at 02:36 PM on February 07

NFL Playoff Pick 'Em: Super Bowl 0x32 Edition

I emailed Holden about making picks, but I don't know if his SportsFilter email is still active. If anyone knows how to contact him, please do so forthwith.

posted by rcade at 02:09 PM on February 07

NFL Playoff Pick 'Em: Super Bowl 0x32 Edition

If everybody with a decent chance of winning picks themselves to win, I think that bonus has the practical effect of cutting three points off the first place player's lead. I may retire that one after this contest. So it has one final chance to throw us into a logical conundrum of epic proportions.

posted by rcade at 01:47 PM on February 07

Interception: Luke Kuechley

First turnover: Peyton Manning

MVP: Cam Newton

Contest winner: rcade

posted by rcade at 01:36 PM on February 07

SportsFilter: The Sunday Huddle

It has been a year since we we received this gift...

Pressure's on, SUPERBOWLL half time show.

posted by Mr Bismarck at 01:32 PM on February 07