FanDuel - WFBC

Recent Comments

SportsFilter: The Friday Huddle

Well... damn. Literally a few seconds after posting, apparently I did jinx it. :(

Er... anyway, unrelated: can someone explain why this is even a "thing"? "Yankees, A-Rod Resolve Bonus Issue". I have no great love for A-Rod, but I'm also old school enough to think that a contract is a contract, and the Yankees shouldn't be able to say "We don't feel like paying you because you have a bad reputation among the public (a negative reputation which we actually helped foster".

Either there was explicit language that would nullify the bonus for certain cases (for example, if he was traded, so that a future team wouldn't be stuck paying bonuses on someone; or in this case, if there was an explicit morality clause et al), or there wasn't. If there wasn't... I don't see how you can just disregard the contract unless A-Rod agreed to for whatever reasons. It's not a win for anyone but the Steinbrenner family that A-Rod doesn't get the bonuses, the Yankees now don't have to pay that money in their salary cap, and yet the charitable amounts are far less than the bulk of that $30M he'd have likely earned hitting those milestones.

posted by hincandenza at 09:34 PM on July 03

SportsFilter: The Friday Huddle

For those checking in, Anibal Sanchez of Detroit is still pitching in the 8th inning of a 8-0 game at Comerica Park. Being old school, I won't explicitly say why this is interesting, but I trust people will understand. :)

posted by hincandenza at 09:26 PM on July 03

UPDATED PICK:

Toronto by 4

posted by JPR at 06:33 PM on July 03

CFL Pick 'Em, Week Two

Has the UN High Commission on Rights arrived in Winnipeg because there were some serious human-rights violations during the first half. The Bombers could have had Tom Clements in his prime last night and it wouldn't have mattered.

posted by jjzucal at 03:34 PM on July 03

This is Vin Scully's 66th season broadcasting Dodger games. Seriously.

I'd like to set down at a table, in a little hole-in-the-wall bar, drink in hand and just listen to him tell stories.

posted by ic23b at 01:12 AM on July 03

Hamilton by 8

Calgary by 6

Ottawa by 2

Toronto by 12

posted by rcade at 08:25 PM on July 02

SportsFilter: The Thursday Huddle

Adelaide Crows coach Phil Walsh killed at home, son arrested

posted by tommytrump at 08:06 PM on July 02

CFL Pick 'Em, Week Two

Yes, Howard, it could be worse ... you could have been me last week.

Hamilton by 10

Calgary by 12

BC by 16

Toronto by 3

posted by jjzucal at 04:25 PM on July 02

SportsFilter: The Thursday Huddle

Rafa Nadal goes down in the second round to the unranked German Dustin Brown.

Asked by a reporter how he handles the consecutive Wimbledon disappointments, Nadal's response was kind of awesome: "I am a good loser. When I am not that good, I always accept it. I congratulate my opponent. I am not happy but I accept."

posted by rcade at 03:41 PM on July 02

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

The Leafs get rid of one of 2 pillars of their defensive problems, clear some salary cap, and create an opening for a younger player to develop.

Penguins get a talented guy who shoots the puck as good as anyone to mix in with an already offensively talented lineup. Penguins won a cup in a year when they essentially played with complete disregard for defense. A great fit for Kessel and I'd expect a lot of 6-5 type final tallies in Pittsburgh games next season.

posted by cixelsyd at 01:39 PM on July 02

Hamilton by 6

Calgary by 10

BC by 3

Saskatchewan by 3

posted by JPR at 11:45 AM on July 02

Winnipeg by 3

Calgary by 7

BC by 8

Toronto by 3

posted by Reever at 11:44 AM on July 02

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

Well - the Bruins now have Loui Eriksson (22 goals last year despite underwhelming), Jimmy Hayes (a 25-year-old who scored 19 goals last year who they picked up for Reilly Smith from the Seguin trade), Joe Morrow (a perpetual prospect D), Zachary Senyshyn (15th overall this year) and two second-rounders this year from the assets they got in the trade.

That's still substantially better than what the Leafs have coming back to them from the Kessel deal, which should have a bit of an asterisk attached to the value they got due to the stupid contract they gave him and needed to eat to get rid of him.

posted by dfleming at 09:34 AM on July 02

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

The last time the English were in a semi-final Paul Parker charged down a free kick which spooned up about a mile into the air off his foot and looped in over Peter Shilton.

I hope Laura Bassett doesn't take that too hard. She had to make a play because of the Japanese striker right behind her. The shame is that she's 31, so she probably won't get a chance to come back to another World Cup.

posted by Mr Bismarck at 08:26 AM on July 02

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

Somehow, in some way, the English women's national team has come up with an even more ENGLISH (heartbreaking) way to lose a World Cup match than their male counterparts could have imagined.

posted by grum@work at 10:37 PM on July 01

Phil Kessel traded

So now all of the players/draft picks that were part of the original trade between Boston and Toronto are no longer with their original post-trade team. Seguin is in Dallas, Hamilton is piling up the Loonies in Calgary, and now Kessel goes to Pittsburgh. At the time, it looked like Boston had committed highway robbery. Now this appears to be a trade that truly benefited neither team, at least for the long term.

posted by Howard_T at 10:03 PM on July 01

Winnipeg by 5
Calgary by 9
B.C. by 21
Toronto by 8

posted by DrJohnEvans at 08:52 PM on July 01

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

Phil Kessel traded from rebuilding Toronto Maple Leafs to Pittsburgh Penguins for picks, prospects

posted by tommytrump at 05:01 PM on July 01

CFL Pick 'Em, Week Two

When I looked a the scoreboard of last week's games, I was certain I was destined to flirt with the Costanza. Then I looked at the Pick 'Em standings, and I see things certainly could be worse. So brimming with confidence, we go bravely to the keyboard. We're on vacation this week. My wife and I try to get away around the end of June every year. It gives her a chance to unwind after another year of working with special needs kids in the schools, and believe me, with the class she had this year, she needs it. So here I am in New Hampshire's White Mountains, and it's raining. I can't even see the ridge on the other side of the Kancamagus Highway because of the low-hanging cloud. It's a good day to work on the picks.

Hamilton at Winnipeg: The Kitties were just about to dine from the cat food dish when it was rudely pulled away from them. This makes for a very angry kitty, and since they have not yet been declawed, they could do some damage. Blue Bombers would like to fly away out of range of the Tiger Cats, but can they get off the ground in time? The most useless things in the world are runway behind you and altitude above you. Hamilton by 6.

Calgary at Montreal: Stampeders managed to prevail by a whisker (pun intended) at the last minute over the aforementioned Tiger Cats, while Montreal lost at the last minute to the checkerboard guys. Will the home cooking help Alouettes make it through he full 60 minutes? Little larks will avoid the rampaging quadrupeds, but it won't be easy. In another close one, Montreal by 3.

BC at Ottawa: Now that Ottawa has thrown the ladies who kick things out of town, the big guys can take over the field. No yellow or red cards, no nets, just red flags and lots of contact. RedBlacks pulled off a significant win last week over an unsuspecting Montreal team. Now they have to take on a bunch of roaring lions who have yet to compete. BC has a decent offense and a supposedly tough defense. Ottawa won with an excellent air attack and a late pick. Lions should be able to keep the Ottawa guys from getting that close. BC by 12.

Toronto at Saskatchewan: Argonauts sailed past a bunch of Eskimos last week, but perhaps the Wood Buffaloes in the national park had something to do with it. Meanwhile the Roughriders had a rough ride against the Bombers. Look for the Argonauts to enjoy their western swing. Toronto by 7.

Before I forget, happy Canada Day to all.

posted by Howard_T at 03:41 PM on July 01

U.S. Defeats Germany, Advances to Women's World Cup Final

I agree with the comments about a better flow when the players aren't rolling around theatrically after minor collisions - real or imagined. However, I find I've been a bit frustrated by the lack of fine ball control skills by many players in the competition: inaccurate passes leading to avoidable loss of possession and balls going out of play or lazy trapping of received passes. I find that interrupts the flow a lot at times. Maybe the turf has something to do with it.

posted by sbacharach at 01:00 PM on July 01

hami by 4

cal by 9

bc by 1

ARGOS by 2

posted by argoal at 12:33 PM on July 01

U.S. Defeats Germany, Advances to Women's World Cup Final

Did anyone else catch this recent ESPN video segment of the Rapinoe-to-Wambach header in 2011? Epic.

posted by rcade at 12:14 PM on July 01

U.S. Defeats Germany, Advances to Women's World Cup Final

I love the general lack of diving and theatrics in the women's game. The dubious tumbles by Rapinoe I noted last night struck me as an outlier.

My impression is that women are more likely to want to appear tough enough for the physicality of the game, so they don't engage in operatic contortions like the men. I love how many times they don't topple on contact and leap right back up after being knocked down.

But it could be a cultural issue unrelated to gender. If some top women's players start getting an opponent carded when they get a little nudge and fall down like a sniper got them, this tactic may become legitimized.

It's not like they don't play to the refs sometimes. Remember the Canada goalkeeper in the past World Cup getting a penalty kick for the U.S. because of slow play? Abby Wambach had been counting the seconds out loud all match long when the keeper held the ball. It was an incredible example of working a ref.

posted by rcade at 12:10 PM on July 01

U.S. Defeats Germany, Advances to Women's World Cup Final

My wife and I were talking about that watching the past two USWNT games. mbd1's theory is one that didn't come up, but I have to admit it has some merit.

We kind of reached the conclusion that, because of the history of women's athletics being dismissed, that the women play with a bit of a chip on their shoulder. What better way to send a nice, loud "fuck you" to the detractors of women's sports than to play the game clean and tough? I've seen plenty of good, solid tackles that actually send the ball carrier to the ground, and most often, she jumps right back up and into the play. Kudos, ladies. I enjoy the men's game immensely, but like holden said, the flow of the women's games has been a refreshing change.

posted by tahoemoj at 11:38 AM on July 01

U.S. Defeats Germany, Advances to Women's World Cup Final

Also, it seems as though there has been a bit of an increase in handballs throughout the tournament, which I had partially attributed to the ball's speed and behavior on the livelier playing surface. Some of the refs have not called handballs on a consistent basis.

One more reason to be angry with FIFA: on some plays where a foul clearly occurred and the refs clearly did not make the correct call, replays were not made available to Fox and others broadcasting the matches live. On more than one occasion, Fox announcers mentioned that FIFA had chosen not to make a replay available for a certain critical play. All in the name of preventing FIFA and the tournament from appearing to be all the more poorly administered, one assumes. I think that falls under FIFA's "protecting the integrity of the game" fairy tale.

posted by beaverboard at 10:14 AM on July 01

U.S. Defeats Germany, Advances to Women's World Cup Final

Anyone mention the German defender who had Alex Morgan wrapped up with both arms near the end of the first half? Also could have been a penalty. The refereeing had been really questionable all around.

And yes, it is wonderful to not see all the diving, embellishment, and general childishness that is in the men's game. I think part of it is the different standards int he women's game, and part of it is that they are playing on turf and no one wants to go to the ground unless absolutely necessary.

posted by mbd1 at 09:21 AM on July 01

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

It was announced that Sepp Blatter, the self-proclaimed godfather of international women's football will not attend the WC final. Perhaps the decision had something to do with having to cross too many time zones, or the extended length of summer daylight at higher latitudes. Or the relaxed fit of the players' shorts in defiance of his stated preferences. No mention of any concerns with regard to the RCMP, CSIS, or any possible USDOJ indictments waiting to be unsealed.

posted by beaverboard at 09:16 AM on July 01

U.S. Defeats Germany, Advances to Women's World Cup Final

I thought maybe Johnston's hand was on the shoulder but not applying any real pressure. Not the smartest move but when the German went down the ref didn't have much choice. IF the ref saw it that way as well, it might explain the yellow as opposed to red. It easily could've been a red though and I think we were a bit lucky on both PKs. I can see why the ref gave the second one as I thought she was a yard into the box watching live. And I too would've liked to see how we handled France.

posted by Ricardo at 08:44 AM on July 01

Hamilton by 2

Montreal by 6

Ottawa by 3

Toronto by 10

posted by jagsnumberone at 02:27 AM on July 01

U.S. Defeats Germany, Advances to Women's World Cup Final

In hindsight, Australia's goal against USA in the group stage was one of the significant accomplishments of the Matildas' campaign.

I'm not sure that USA would have fared as well against France in the semi-final. France really found themselves after their bitter loss to Colombia. I would have loved to see Thomis and Delie test the USA backline. It's not just their size and speed, but also their fitness that makes them such a challenge to defend.

Disregarding all loyalties, I would have enjoyed watching a France-Japan final.

posted by beaverboard at 01:20 AM on July 01

U.S. Defeats Germany, Advances to Women's World Cup Final

Good work by the American women. Yes, Germany probably got jobbed on some calls (Johnston could/should have been sent off for denying an obvious goal-scoring opportunity (although the German player did go to ground rather easily) and the foul on Morgan was marginally outside of the box), but the U.S. probably deserved it on the balance of play.

rcade's comments re Rapinoe at the end of the half notwithstanding, one thing I noticed in watching the game was the lack of cynicism in the women's game -- just a lot less embellishment and time-wasting when compared to men's soccer.

posted by holden at 01:03 AM on July 01

U.S. Defeats Germany, Advances to Women's World Cup Final

Those may have been some slightly dodgy PK calls at both ends, but the US was still the better team tonight and played their best game of the tournament. Plus, remembering back to this heartbreaking play from 2002--a day when the US again had the better side and deserved to win, Germany had it coming. The karate kick goal by O'Hara to seal it was also outstanding!

posted by bender at 11:04 PM on June 30

U.S. Defeats Germany, Advances to Women's World Cup Final

The Fox Sports 1 postgame show aired the 1999 World Cup Final highlights where Brianna Scurry stopped a penalty kick and Brandi Chastain scored the legendary shirt-doffing winner. Seeing it again, I was shocked by how far Scurry moved off her line before the China player struck her PK attempt. She takes a step and a half forward before the block, as you can see at 8:47 in the YouTube link.

posted by rcade at 10:42 PM on June 30

U.S. Defeats Germany, Advances to Women's World Cup Final

This has to be considered the best defensive team the USWNT has ever fielded, or close to it. The team puts a lot of pressure on an opponent when its scoring opportunities are shut down so quickly. Germany kept making terrible final kicks, which suggested to me it was feeling the pressure.

The takedown by Julie Johnston that gave Germany its penalty kick probably should have been a red card. The penalty earned by Alex Morgan looked like one that would've been called outside the box 9 times out of 10 in the Premiership. If there's a word in German for a profound sense of outrage, it's going to be used a lot on Twitter tonight.

posted by rcade at 09:15 PM on June 30

U.S. Defeats Germany, Advances to Women's World Cup Final

It's a good thing that Lloyd > O'Hara goal happened, otherwise the Germans would have a few things to complain about re: both PKs.

Gotta wonder how the game would've turned out if Sasic had put that penalty on the goal. I'm still not convinced the USWNT is all that great relative to other teams we've seen over the years, but with Germany, France, and Brazil out...who knows. They do have a staunch backfield.

posted by Ufez Jones at 09:08 PM on June 30

U.S. Defeats Germany, Advances to Women's World Cup Final

I wonder if Rapinoe was overselling those two collisions near the end of the first half.

posted by rcade at 07:50 PM on June 30

U.S. Defeats Germany, Advances to Women's World Cup Final

Beautiful pass by Heath to Morgan in the 13th minute. Thought the U.S. had the lead but Angerer was too good.

posted by rcade at 07:16 PM on June 30

U.S. Defeats Germany, Advances to Women's World Cup Final

I liked Heath against China. Lots of high-energy play and she was good at creating in traffic.

Wambach is so slow now it's hard for me to watch. She was my favorite U.S. player on either team for several years.

posted by rcade at 06:55 PM on June 30

U.S. Defeats Germany, Advances to Women's World Cup Final

I hope that Coach Ellis was not providing advance rationale for giving Wambach major minutes with that comment. Ellis will need to be at her very best and most intuitive (if she is capable of that) with the roster management for this match.

I would not play Heath much if at all. She lacks the required fortitude to go up against the German midfield and backline. Also would not start Rodriguez. Her speed translates into pressure more than it translates into opportunities. Krieger should be ordered to ignore the temptation to send long balls forward.

posted by beaverboard at 04:11 PM on June 30

SportsFilter: The Tuesday Huddle

Is there an injury report on the German WNT? They were nicked up pretty good in the process of getting past France. Personally, I would want to see Marozsan able to play. She made such a difference when she came in against France. Not sure if Kimme and Krahn were hurt as well, but I hope they can go. All in the name of seeing the best quality possible on the field.

posted by beaverboard at 12:54 PM on June 30

SportsFilter: The Tuesday Huddle

Pablo Sandoval hit a pitch last night that was a little over five feet off the ground.

Good work to ground out on that pitch.

posted by Mr Bismarck at 12:07 PM on June 30

This is Vin Scully's 66th season broadcasting Dodger games. Seriously.

As a kid, I first saw Scully hosting daytime TV game shows and talk shows and had no idea he was the voice of the Dodgers. Then when he got some network TV sports gigs, I thought: "Great, now they've got talk show hosts doing games. Who'll they get next, Monty Hall or Mike Douglas?"

Little did I know...

The first couple of times I heard him on air doing network games, I thought: "Hey, this guy seems to have a knack for sports announcing. Let's give him a chance and see what he can do."

Eventually, I found out what many others already knew about this sublime talent.

All those years I had to listen to Garagiola when I could have been listening to Scully...

posted by beaverboard at 11:42 AM on June 30

SportsFilter: The Tuesday Huddle

In less than one week, Luke Ridnour has gone from ORL > MEM > CHA > OKC > TOR. I hope he can laugh about this.

posted by Ufez Jones at 11:30 AM on June 30

SportsFilter: The Monday Huddle

Lleyton Hewitt celebrates two decades as a national embarrassment. Or his supporters do at least.

posted by owlhouse at 02:08 AM on June 30

Peg by 6

Calgary by 9

BC by 15

Sask by 7

posted by owlhouse at 02:06 AM on June 30

Hamilton by 7

Calgary by 7

BC by 7

Toronto by 10

posted by cixelsyd at 11:24 PM on June 29

This is Vin Scully's 66th season broadcasting Dodger games. Seriously.

I have recordings of Scully and Johnny Bench calling the 1991 World Series. Scully's combination of joy and exhaustion in Game 7 is unmatched.

posted by TheQatarian at 10:57 PM on June 29

This is Vin Scully's 66th season broadcasting Dodger games. Seriously.

He first started broadcasting Dodger games in 1950.

• There were only 48 states in the union at the time.

• All five best picture nominees at the Oscars that year were in black & white, the last year that ever happened.

• St. Louis was the western-most team in MLB. There are now 12 teams further west.

• Since broadcasting his first Dodger game, Ken Griffey was born, grew up, played 19 seasons in MLB, retired, and his son also played 22 seasons in MLB, and retired 5 years ago.

• He's also broadcasted the entire careers of Gus Bell (1950-1964), his son Buddy Bell (1972-1989), and his sons David Bell (1995-2006) and Mike Bell (2000).

• There have been twelve different presidents during that time.

• One of the players he did play-by-play about was born more than 106 years ago.

• It was the last season that Connie Mack was a manager in MLB. He was born almost 153 years ago.

posted by grum@work at 10:55 PM on June 29

Winnipeg by 4
Calgary by 12
BC by 3
Saskatchewan by 6

posted by Ying Yang Mafia at 10:34 PM on June 29

Winnipeg by 6

Montreal by 10

BC by 12

Toronto by 10

posted by goddam at 09:48 PM on June 29

SportsFilter: The Monday Huddle

I feel like if Craig Ehlo is the final boss, that's one of those times you asked your mom to buy Big Title Game and she bought a rip-off that sounded like the same game. Obligatory Mitchell & Webb link.

posted by yerfatma at 08:18 PM on June 29

Winnipeg by 5

Calgary by 15

British Columbia by 5

Toronto by 15

posted by tommytrump at 04:36 PM on June 29

CFL Pick 'Em, Week Two

Holy upsets, Batman! Montreal suffers two QB injuries in-game, and Ottawa takes advantage with the comeback win. Calgary needs a time-expiring field goal to come from behind to send Hamilton packing. Edmonton can't get it done in their backyard, losing both the game and QB Mike Reilly as Toronto prevails. And Winnipeg walzes into Regina and wins! (Oh, and Saskatchewan loses star QB Darian Durant for the year. That's bad, right?)

OTT @ MTLHAM @ CGYEDM @ TORWPG @ SSK
ResultOttawa by 4Calgary by 1Toronto by 15Winnipeg by 4
Margin of Error3 to 51 to 111 to 203 to 5

Three upsets make points tough to come by, but bender's lucky coin leads the way with four points.

SpoFiteOTT @ MTLSHAM @ CGYSEDM @ TORSWPG @ SSKSPointsTotal Points
owlhouse Calgary 11
tommytrump Calgary 11
DrJohnEvans Calgary 11
Ying Yang Mafia Toronto 11
argoal Calgary 11
jjzucal 00

Week Two: everyone moves one spot to their left, except for Edmonton which heads home to lick its wounds.

WEEK 2

Hamilton @ Winnipeg (Thursday, July 2)
After three years with no playoff appearances, Winnipeg may just be on the verge of contending again, but they'll have to string together a couple in a row before we believe it. Coming off a tough last-minute loss, Hamilton is hoping that the rebuild in the 'Peg isn't quite finished yet.

Calgary @ Montreal (Friday, July 3)
Here are two 0-1 teams which everyone expected to be 1-0. Calgary's the stronger team, but Montreal's no slouch, and they should have QB Jonathan Crompton back after suffering a shoulder bruise last week, which should at least make things interesting.

B.C. @ Ottawa (Saturday, July 4)
The last time Travis Lulay visited Ottawa, he shredded his shoulder and ended his season. I'm no expert, but he's probably hoping for a slightly better outcome now. On the other sideline, do you believe in the Redblacks' sophomore streak?

Toronto @ Saskatchewan (Sunday, July 5)
Toronto hopes that the Trevor Harris Magic continues for another week. Meanwhile, Saskatchewan looks to rebound after a nasty loss last week - with 834-year-old Kevin Glenn taking the snaps.

Good luck!

posted by DrJohnEvans at 03:53 PM on June 29

SportsFilter: The Monday Huddle

The best part is how Ehlo falls down on the side lines in perfect timing with Jordan's transformation, like he was felled by the energy wave.

posted by grum@work at 03:21 PM on June 29

SportsFilter: The Monday Huddle

I'm fairly certain the Wimbledon regulars were wondering if Hewitt's hooting, t-shirted supporters were raised in one.

posted by yerfatma at 03:18 PM on June 29

SportsFilter: The Monday Huddle

Another excellent NBA Super Saiyan GIF

posted by tron7 at 01:13 PM on June 29

SportsFilter: The Monday Huddle

Lleyton Hewitt's opening match today in his final Wimbledon is turning into a barn burner. He and Jarkko Nieminen are in the fifth and deciding set, currently 9-8 Nieminen.

posted by rcade at 12:20 PM on June 29

SportsFilter: The Sunday Huddle

Baseball is a pretty easy sport to play.

Except for these guys:

posted by grum@work at 08:49 PM on June 28

SportsFilter: The Saturday Huddle

The confidence pool is up to date. Ying Yang Mafia and I got all of our top four in the semifinals. Can't imagine that will ever happen again.

posted by rcade at 11:40 PM on June 27

SportsFilter: The Saturday Huddle

It's like deja vu: Brazil go out of the Copa America on penalties to Paraguay for the second straight time. Especially surprising that Dunga put on Ribeiro for his goalscorer Robinho in the 88th minute, presumably for his PK skills, only to have Ribeiro push the ball wide right when Paraguay's Villar went left.

posted by billsaysthis at 09:37 PM on June 27

The 11th Annual chicobangs Memorial SpoFi CFL Pick 'Em

This is the first year I'm making picks based on actual information. I've also picked a team to root for, the Redblacks, because I like it when there's nowhere to go but up.

So far I'm 0 for 2. Information is overrated.

posted by rcade at 01:21 PM on June 27

SportsFilter: The Saturday Huddle

That was exceptionally harsh, but I like the idea a remark like that won't be as outrageous in the future. When you can have a laugh at someone's expense for public religiosity, it'll mean faith isn't such a dominant force in cultural life that almost no one can get elected to Congress while claiming to be an atheist. I read and watch a lot from England these days, and they take the piss out of someone over religion far more than Americans do.

But still, ouch. Pedro Strop has a job where 100-mph projectiles are fired back at his head, and in that performance it was a particularly acute risk. Be the bigger man, Bob.

posted by rcade at 10:58 AM on June 27

U.S. Defeats China, Advances to Women's World Cup Semifinals

Yesterday's US team could hang in there with yesterday's first half German team.

I question the subbing off of both Thomis and Delie. And the order of PK's for France, where you have Lavogez with all of a dozen caps or so taking the 5th shot instead of the captain or an older player like Necib.

US is fortunate to be facing a team that just went through extra time and PK's. As the old Tarzan and Carradine/Kung Fu saying goes: "If after a journey of a thousand miles you meet an opponent, of what must you be sure? That the journey was theirs."

Germany will need to recover as best they can. US team fitness remains a strength and was not overly taxed yesterday.

posted by beaverboard at 09:19 AM on June 27

U.S. Defeats China, Advances to Women's World Cup Semifinals

Was at the game and though they weren't regularly pressed, the U.S. really cleaned up a lot of their issues defensively this game. They also generated a lot of pace considering two of their better offensive players were on the sidelines.

The Chinese midfielders continually fell for the same U.S. trap where they'd show a seemingly open Chinese forward only to take it away a second before the pass was made. I doubt the Germans will be so formulaic, but that was the first complete performance they put in so far.

posted by dfleming at 08:46 AM on June 27

SportsFilter: The Saturday Huddle

Holy shit, Bob Costas

posted by Etrigan at 07:59 AM on June 27

I don't.

And the Jays have been awesome this year.

But he is Mike Trout, a guy with more "no way" defensive plays than anyone I've seen for years (my Willie Mays bobblehead nods in agreement).

Wait ..

posted by cixelsyd at 01:48 AM on June 27

U.S. Defeats China, Advances to Women's World Cup Semifinals

great cap, rcade

posted by cixelsyd at 01:31 AM on June 27

U.S. Defeats China, Advances to Women's World Cup Semifinals

posted by rcade at 12:41 AM on June 27

U.S. Defeats China, Advances to Women's World Cup Semifinals

That was the quarterfinals. They advanced to the semis.

So glad Ellis finally freed the Irish. First time all tournament I was optimistic about the starting 11.

posted by goddam at 12:24 AM on June 27

U.S. Defeats China, Advances to Women's World Cup Semifinals

That was the first game I've seen them play since the Australia game where I thought they looked like a title contender. Would be nice to score a couple more goals, but they've been impenetrable defensively.

posted by TheQatarian at 11:45 PM on June 26

The 11th Annual chicobangs Memorial SpoFi CFL Pick 'Em

Montreal by 7 Calgary by 3 Edmonton by 6 Saskatchewan by 4

posted by JPR at 10:57 AM on June 26

NHL Playoff Pick 'Em Champion: Cixelsyd

Ah yes, comfortable mediocrity once again. The old saying is that the nail that sticks up feels the hammer. Perhaps a better ability to pick results will make me the hammer. Of course, by that time we will be using screws instead of nails. Thanks, rcade, for another fun time. The pick 'ems are one of the better parts of SpoFi.

posted by Howard_T at 11:15 PM on June 25

SportsFilter: The Thursday Huddle

Knicks go Baltic; fans go ballistic.

posted by beaverboard at 09:55 PM on June 25

The 11th Annual chicobangs Memorial SpoFi CFL Pick 'Em

OK, so I'm about 20 minutes late. I promise, ultimately it will make zero difference in the season's outcome.

Montreal by 13

Calgary by 3

Toronto by 4

Saskatchewan by 11

posted by tahoemoj at 07:44 PM on June 25

The 11th Annual chicobangs Memorial SpoFi CFL Pick 'Em

Montreal by 10

Calgary by 13

Edmonton by 4

Winnipeg by 8

Tonight's game will be on Watch ESPN.

posted by rcade at 06:42 PM on June 25

NHL Playoff Pick 'Em Champion: Cixelsyd

Woo Hoo, I fought off the Costanza, Congratulations cixelsyd.
Thanks rcade for doing the hard work.

posted by ic23b at 05:27 PM on June 25

NHL Playoff Pick 'Em Champion: Cixelsyd

I am stunned and deeply impressed that cixel routinely birdies the third hole, which is a killer Par 5.

posted by beaverboard at 03:58 PM on June 25

The 11th Annual chicobangs Memorial SpoFi CFL Pick 'Em

Got this from DirectTV guide: ESPN2 will show games June 29-30, July 2-3, 9-10 and 30-31. Guess I'm too lazy to go to the CFL website.

jagsnumberone, you bring back memories from the early ESPN days. It's when I became an Argos' fan; even though I'm in New Jersey, I used to listen to games on CFRB (AM) or CFRX (shortwave). Now I get only Ti-Cat games on CHML-AM.

posted by jjzucal at 01:17 PM on June 25

NHL Playoff Pick 'Em Champion: Cixelsyd

Thanks for the thanks .. And thanks to rcade for organizing the pool.

(Noticing that my round scores are almost exactly like the first 4 holes of my normal golf game)

posted by cixelsyd at 11:49 AM on June 25

NHL Playoff Pick 'Em Champion: Cixelsyd

2/4ths of the way to the Costanza Grand Slam for the year. I believe in you.

posted by Ufez Jones at 11:21 AM on June 25

NHL Playoff Pick 'Em Champion: Cixelsyd

Always a bridesmaid...which is actually a pretty good time!

Congratulations cixelsyd, thanks rcade, and cheers to all who played!

posted by tahoemoj at 11:15 AM on June 25

NHL Playoff Pick 'Em Champion: Cixelsyd

Well done Cixelsyd!

Ufez, you're 2/4ths of the way to the Costanza Grand Slam for the year. I believe in you.

posted by dfleming at 10:58 AM on June 25

NHL Playoff Pick 'Em Champion: Cixelsyd

All hail Cixelsyd!

Ic23b ties for the best round, escapes the Costanza.

My trendline isn't pretty. If there had been another round I would've scored -1.

posted by rcade at 10:50 AM on June 25

bender553114
ic23b540514
dfleming661--13
Ufez Jones641112
NoMich6----410
MrFrisby--4206

Please doublecheck your Stanley Cup round scores.

Chicago Blackhawks win in 6 games.

Bonus point results:

Longest game: 0 OTs (0 winners)

TV rating: 3.1 after game 6 (closest 3.2, jagsnumberone; 2.7, bender; 2.5, holden)

First scorer: Alex Killorn (0 winners)

Conn Smythe winner: Duncan Keith (3 winners)

Most goals: 2, Teuvo Teravainen, Antoine Vermette, Brandon Saad, Cedric Paquette, Killorn (0 winners)

Most assists: 4, Marian Hossa, Victor Hedman (0 winners)

Most points: 4, Hossa, Teravainen, Hedman, Ryan Callahan (0 winners)

Best plus/minus: 3, Duncan Keith (7 winners)

Most penalty minutes: 6, Braydon Coburn, Saad, Killorn (1 winner)

Starting goaltender with the best GAA: 1.69, Corey Crawford (5 winners)

posted by rcade at 10:47 AM on June 25

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

Um, there's this guy named Mike Trout ...

Do you have a specific play he's made this season that tops those two?

(I said "Play of the Year", not "Player of the Year".)

posted by grum@work at 12:36 AM on June 25

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

Um, there's this guy named Mike Trout ...

posted by cixelsyd at 09:40 PM on June 24

Pete Rose bet on MLB games while an active player in those games.

Ah. This would help explain your point of view.

Rose was one of my childhood idols, but I supported the punishment at the time it was handed down and for years afterwards. But this 2004 SportsFilter thread shows I'm at least 11 years into thinking enough is enough.

Here's my take back then:

Rose's poor-me act is tiresome, but as I've said before, 15 years' banishment is a sufficient sentence for what he finally admits to doing. Baseball ought to respond to his admission by reinstating him. ... I don't agree with lifetime bans in sport.

posted by rcade at 04:38 PM on June 24

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

Josh Donaldson actually does what everyone THINKS Derek Jeter did.

So now you have to ask...

Which Blue Jays player will win the "Play of the Year" award?

Donaldson for the above catch, or Kevin Pillar?

posted by grum@work at 04:22 PM on June 24

Pete Rose bet on MLB games while an active player in those games.

When Rose says he started gambling "when I became a manager," do you think he meant "when I became a manager exclusively and was no longer a player-manager"? That seems like a strained interpretation to me -- but it's the one all over the media today. If anyone finds a contemporary media account that acknowledges Rose has said in the past he gambled as a player-manager, I'd love to see the link.

The problem is that Rose has a history of changing his story to fit the information that has come out. Maybe he did mean "player-manager" and shortened it to "manager", but given his extensive history of lying, I definitely won't be giving him the benefit of the doubt.

Ah. This would help explain your point of view.

I was only 14 at the time, and more interested in the Blue Jays pursuit of their first playoff appearance. I was barely paying attention to the NL at the time, and Rose's run would have been a secondary/tertiary thing in my mind.

To me, Rose is an overrated historical figure for his records, and a creep because of his self-promotion (playing himself in pursuit of the records) and breaking "the cardinal rule". In fact, his appearances at WWE events and being an Arrested Development visual gag have a stronger positive resonance with me now.

posted by grum@work at 03:59 PM on June 24

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

It's not a feat of Wade Boggs-level proportions, but Terry Francona ate 17 popsicles in one night.

posted by Ufez Jones at 01:46 PM on June 24

The 11th Annual chicobangs Memorial SpoFi CFL Pick 'Em

monti by 5

cal by 4

edi by 4

sask by 6

Com'on Argos!

posted by argoal at 12:56 PM on June 24

The 11th Annual chicobangs Memorial SpoFi CFL Pick 'Em

Another futile attempt begins. Maybe one of these days I'll familiarize myself with CFL scoring and actually have a justification for my margin choices.

Montreal by 17
Hamilton by 6
Toronto by 10
Saskatchewan by 20.

posted by Ying Yang Mafia at 12:28 PM on June 24

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

That exchange between Miggy and the kid is hilarious. The Rangers need to sign that kid as a fan.

As for the other video, the TV announcers really get on their high horse against that fan on the game broadcast. They don't even give him props for the epic snag.

Announcer 1: "Mister, there are bigger things in life than a foul ball. That's unbelievable."

Announcer 2: "He's supposed to be kicked out of the game, too."

posted by rcade at 11:54 AM on June 24

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

Fan makes great catch while feeding baby

posted by NoMich at 11:08 AM on June 24

Pete Rose bet on MLB games while an active player in those games.

He said specifically he did not bet on baseball as a player and I find it extremely unlikely that Rose does not remember his player-manager days as him playing the game.

Does Rose strike you as a person who speaks with precision and self-knowledge about himself all the time? I was challenged to document where Rose admitted to betting as a player-manager and I think I've done so for 1986.

Rose was an All-Star as a player through 1982 and played 151 games in 1983 with the Phillies. He was traded from the Expos to the Reds on August 15, 1984, and hired to be player-manager the same day. He talks in his book about gambling being something he chased for excitement as a manager when the thrill of playing was no longer enough.

The scenario that looks the most likely to me, in terms of what he's said and what we've known since Dowd, is that he began compulsively gambling on the Reds to win somewhere between August 1984 to 1986.

As to when that began, he started himself 110 games in 1985 and was named an All-Star that year, chasing the all-time hit record until getting 4,192 on Sept. 11, 1985. I imagine that pursuit was his major preoccupation -- it certainly was mine during the season. He wouldn't need to be finding extra reasons to be excited.

With that over, he turned 45 on April 14 as the 1986 season began and started 61 games (career low), hitting .219 (career low). Here's an analysis of his play that season.

He admits in his book that he gambled before the 1986 post-season, but doesn't know the date. He just knows he first spoke of doing it during that post-season. So there he is gambling sometime in 1986 when he's playing out the string and hitting like Mario Mendoza.

Are you really taking the position that you would have favored Rose for reinstatement if he wasn't still lying about betting on games as a player, even though he admitted in his book gambling as a player-manager in at least 1986, which is the year the new ESPN story documents?

In 2004, Rose appeared at a church in Royersford, Pennsylvania, and was interviewed by the senior pastor before a packed house about his actions. He said this:

It wasn't that I was calling somebody everyday and betting on the games. I told the guy before the season that I want to bet on my team every night a certain amount. No one in the clubhouse ever knew I was betting; no coaches, no players, no clubhouse guys, and I was wrong.

I was wrong. However, I wasn't betting when I was a player. It's when I became a manager because I had so much love and respect for my players because they were like my sons. I wanted to bet on them because I needed something extra because I wasn't getting the at-bats or playing in the field, and I was wrong.

posted by rcade at 10:43 AM on June 24

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

Kid jaws with Miggy Cabrera, and gets a surprise.

posted by grum@work at 09:55 AM on June 24