Recent Comments

NBA Pick 'Em Week 18: Trade Deadline Edition

Since I seem to be unable to locate where to ask the question I will ask it here, has the winner of the NFL playoff pick'um been determined and I just cannot find the post?????

posted by ic23b at 11:39 PM on February 27

SportsFilter: The Monday Huddle

Somewhere there must be dim, grainy footage of Roger Goodell sitting cross-legged inside a circle of candles, rubbing an Oscar statuette.

posted by beaverboard at 11:06 AM on February 27

SportsFilter: The Sunday Huddle

McDaniels charts a Super Bowl outside zone flood:

"Three guys go short zone. Edelman slants. Mitchell and Amendola cross.

Lady Gaga, you go long."

posted by beaverboard at 01:54 AM on February 27

SportsFilter: The Sunday Huddle

Tommy, you leave this wide open for 8 or 10 obscene comments. Despite being sorely tempted, I shall refrain.

posted by Howard_T at 01:21 PM on February 26

SportsFilter: The Sunday Huddle

Scottie Pippen wants to put Mr. Submarine in your mouth

posted by tommytrump at 12:43 PM on February 26

NBA Pick 'Em Week 18: Trade Deadline Edition

Switch to Chicago over Cleveland by 4. No LeBron.

posted by rcade at 08:26 PM on February 25

NBA Pick 'Em Week 18: Trade Deadline Edition

CLE (over CHI) by 17 (SLAM)
CLE (over MIL) by 8
HOU by 14 (SLAM)

posted by Ufez Jones at 06:58 PM on February 25

The Table Never Lies

As a Sheffield Wednesday fan I've been questioning the logic of having so many youth players. In four years I've yet to see one become a significant first team contributor (Liam Palmer would be an exception but that happened slightly before my time).

I like what Brentford is doing with a second-chance squad. When you see the players who fall off the map at the top two levels of English football, it seems like some of them could still be making a contribution. I've been amazed that Kevin Nolan didn't find another gig after West Ham dropped him in 2015 at age 32. He's now player-coaching in League Two.

posted by rcade at 05:30 PM on February 25

SportsFilter: The Friday Huddle

Thanks, Howard, that was a terrific read.

posted by tommytrump at 09:56 AM on February 25

Chicago by 4
SLAM Cleveland by 11 SLAM
SLAM Houston by 13 SLAM

posted by bender at 12:55 AM on February 25

SportsFilter: The Friday Huddle

The #Canes and @eddielack believe #HockeyIsForEveryone.

posted by NoMich at 12:04 AM on February 25

SportsFilter: The Friday Huddle

I have recently subscribed to the e-mail list for "The Players' Forum". I don't read all of the contributions, but most of those that I do read show some excellent writing. I looked at this one tonight, and it taught me a number of things I did not know. Even better, the story shows how much one man's passion for a game he does not play affected an entire nation and brought a very different minority population closer to the rest of the country. It's a bit lengthy, but certainly worth the time.

posted by Howard_T at 09:31 PM on February 24

SportsFilter: The Friday Huddle

I think rcade may still be traveling due to his recent loss. Even without the travel, stuff piles up in tough times, so hard to work through it all in a timely fashion.

I always figured that either tron or rumple nailed down that pick em.

posted by beaverboard at 01:54 PM on February 24

SportsFilter: The Friday Huddle

Did we ever find out who won the playoff pick em? I'm curious to see if I could get all the games right and still manage to lose because I did so poorly on the props.

posted by tron7 at 01:27 PM on February 24

SportsFilter: The Thursday Huddle

especially since the first round pick they threw in is top-18 protected.

And turns into two seconds if (when) it doesn't convey. Great deal for Dallas, head-scratcher for Philly.

posted by tron7 at 01:25 PM on February 24

SportsFilter: The Thursday Huddle

Pioneer and Hamilton football legend Bernie Custis passes away at age 88

posted by tommytrump at 05:38 AM on February 24

SportsFilter: The Thursday Huddle

Just curious: I may have missed it (and was neither in the running for the win nor the Costanza) but were the final results of the NFL Playoff Pick 'Em ever posted?

posted by hincandenza at 10:06 PM on February 23

NBA Pick 'Em Week 18: Trade Deadline Edition

New York at Cleveland <<< NARP! TOO LATE!
Golden State by 18
Toronto by 8
Los Angeles Clippers by 7
Cleveland by 11
Cleveland by 14
Houston by 8

posted by NoMich at 09:28 PM on February 23

The Table Never Lies

Or late developers/rejects from PL clubs. I think that's the plan.

posted by owlhouse at 08:45 PM on February 23

The Table Never Lies

Interesting that Brentford got rid of its academy. I understand the logic, but I would think eventually it would mean having to rely on transfers to pick up older teens to develop for the first team.

posted by jjzucal at 07:36 PM on February 23

Lincoln City bringing magic back to FA Cup

Agreed. I decided to look at Leagues 1 and 2 and compare to my remembrance of my time with My Football Club at Ebbsfleet United (2009-13) with some of the clubs that promoted and never returned: AFC Wimbledon, Crawley Town, Fleetwood Town, Stevenage, Cambridge United, Newport County; Gillingham was a few years before that.

It's not easy to return given there's just two promotion spots, but it may be easier now given relegated sides got an increase in parachute payments (100 percent of League 2 share in first year, 50 percent in second).

posted by jjzucal at 07:28 PM on February 23

Cleveland by 14 <-- dunk

Golden State by 11 <-- dunk

Boston by 8

San Antonio by 13 <-- dunk

Cleveland by 14

posted by rcade at 06:12 PM on February 23

NBA Pick 'Em Week 18: Trade Deadline Edition

Cleveland by 16 (slam dunk)

Golden State by 18 (slam dunk)

Boston by 3

Los Angeles Clippers by 5

Cleveland by 11 (slam dunk)

Cleveland by 5 (slam dunk)

Houston by 11 (slam dunk)

posted by Goyoucolts at 05:24 PM on February 23

NBA Pick 'Em Week 18: Trade Deadline Edition

Slowly crawling up the charts, and have actually achieved some measure of respectability. Perhaps this week will help things along.

The mess that is New York visits Rock City. Enjoy the museum, Knicks, the game won't be fun. Cleveland by 18 SLAM

Chris Paul might be back for Clippers. Not enough by half. Golden State by 12 SLAM

Celtics like what they have and stand pat at the deadline. Will they stay ahead of Raptors? Toronto by 3.

Spurs will try their luck in LA. Chris Paul might make a difference in this one. LA Clippers by 7

Bulls keep Jimmy Butler out of the clutches of the greedy Celtics. It works out for them in Cleveland. Chicago by 6.

The Bucks don't win any Blue Ribbon in Cleveland even when they maintain a cool head. Cleveland by 8 SLAM

Larry Bird won't listen to the siren song of his former teammate Danny Ainge. Paul George is still a Pacer, and helps his team. Indiana by 9.

posted by Howard_T at 04:47 PM on February 23

Houston by 11 - SLAM

posted by tron7 at 03:33 PM on February 23

Cleveland by 4
SLAM Golden State by 14 SLAM

posted by bender at 02:54 PM on February 23

SportsFilter: The Thursday Huddle

I'll miss Justin Anderson, but he just wasn't getting as many minutes as he needed to grow as a player. Hopefully he'll thrive in Philly in kind of the same way Jae Crowder has in Boston. Great trade for the Mavs though, I think, especially since the first round pick they threw in is top-18 protected.

posted by Ufez Jones at 01:56 PM on February 23

NBA Pick 'Em Week 18: Trade Deadline Edition

The Mavericks lost two games this week to flex scheduling: Dallas/Minnesota was replaced with Boston/Toronto on Friday and Dallas/Miami with Indiana/Houston on Monday. There also was a flex to replace Toronto/New York with Milwaukee/Cleveland on the same day.

posted by rcade at 01:38 PM on February 23

SportsFilter: The Thursday Huddle

Dallas ain't N'awlins, but it's got Nerlens.

posted by beaverboard at 12:54 PM on February 23

The Table Never Lies

I like their approach and would love to see them get into the PL.

posted by holden at 09:41 PM on February 22

SportsFilter: The Tuesday Huddle

Well, I ordered a couple of King Cakes for my soon-to-be 9-year old's birthday this weekend, so hope the egress is relatively unaffected.

posted by holden at 11:45 PM on February 21

SportsFilter: The Tuesday Huddle

I guess this would go under SEC bulletins, but who knows:

You take your feel-good news wherever you can find it these days.

I just got a FedEx shipper alert stating that there will be unavoidable regional service delays in Alabama, Louisiana, and Mississippi due to the upcoming Mardi Gras 2017 celebrations.

Unavoidable.

FedEx will do its best to fulfill its routes in these areas despite the revelry, but some roads are just going to be flat out closed, my friends.

If you're not part of the parade, you must be part of the parcel.

posted by beaverboard at 03:26 PM on February 21

SportsFilter: The Tuesday Huddle

Matt Wieters moves, but not far. 2 years, $21 million for the Nationals.

posted by yerfatma at 12:50 PM on February 21

SportsFilter: The Monday Huddle

Worst trade ever?

posted by billsaysthis at 11:18 AM on February 21

Lincoln City bringing magic back to FA Cup

Not to take too much shine of what is a great achievement for a small club, but around half the teams in the Conference have been in the Football League before, including Lincoln. The quality of the Conference is pretty good.

posted by owlhouse at 08:13 PM on February 20

SportsFilter: The Monday Huddle

I want them to trade Chris Webber's HOF candidacy to Ulan Bator.

posted by beaverboard at 07:03 PM on February 20

SportsFilter: The Monday Huddle

Who knows what will happen, but that seems like a terrible trade from Sacramento's side.

posted by yerfatma at 03:41 PM on February 20

Lincoln City bringing magic back to FA Cup

Lincoln City making it to the semi-finals/Wembley would be amazing.

I'm pretty sure they'd be the most supported 5th tier team in history if they pull it off.

posted by grum@work at 03:36 PM on February 20

SportsFilter: The Monday Huddle

The Sacramento Kings have traded DeMarcus Cousins to New Orleans. If they mesh, Boogie + the Brow are going to make one hell of a formidable frontcourt duo for the Pelicans.

posted by Ufez Jones at 11:09 AM on February 20

Lincoln City bringing magic back to FA Cup

Big props to the Imps!

posted by billsaysthis at 10:56 AM on February 20

Carter Capps' pitching delivery is illegal and MLB doesn't care.

How did he ever get to the majors with that motion? What coaches along the way thought, "Yeah, that's ok. Kind of pushing the envelope but it's not like it's 1 million percent obviously against the rules"? I clicked on the link expecting to see some pearl clutching from Old Tyme Baseball men but c'mon. That looks like something from a shitty sports movie.

posted by yerfatma at 03:37 PM on February 19

Carter Capps' pitching delivery is illegal and MLB doesn't care.

To the somewhat informed fan it looks illegal - he's not throwing the pitch from the rubber, baseball's equivalent of traveling in basketball.

If he is allowed to use the triple jump approach he'd have zero chance of ever holding a base runner and be much more susceptible to getting nailed by a line drive. If legal I suppose he might be a fit throwing relief against weaker hitters but nothing else.

posted by cixelsyd at 11:29 PM on February 18

Carter Capps' pitching delivery is illegal and MLB doesn't care.

Give a crap what MLB says, if some kid in a game where I had the plate delivered something like this, I would call time, explain that the pitch is illegal (and why), and warn him and his coach that each tie the pitch was delivered in this manner it would be called illegal and would be a ball. I wonder why MLB would allow this.

If Capps were due to pitch in a road game, all the home club has to do is loosen up the surface of the mound in his landing spot. This would not be likely to affect your own pitcher, since his landing spot would not be as far down the mound. Since Capps has some forward motion as his left foot lands, he would slide on the loosened surface, thus losing any semblance of control and possible injuring himself. That would be drastic, but it would send a message.

posted by Howard_T at 11:32 PM on February 17

SportsFilter: The Friday Huddle

Kyrie Irving believes the earth is flat: 'They lie to us'

posted by grum@work at 10:31 PM on February 17

SportsFilter: The Friday Huddle

There are people in Washington who love how Kyrie thinks, but the president is in no mood to hire any Australians at the moment.

posted by beaverboard at 07:44 PM on February 17

SportsFilter: The Friday Huddle

Kyrie Irving believes the earth is flat: 'They lie to us'

posted by tommytrump at 06:49 PM on February 17

Arsene Wenger: Arsenal 'mentally collapsed' against Bayern Munich

As an Arsenal fan I would like to keep Wenger just to piss off Piers Morgan. Its a price worth paying.

posted by deflated at 02:11 PM on February 17

Arsene Wenger: Arsenal 'mentally collapsed' against Bayern Munich

LIVERPOOOOOOOOOOOL!!!!

posted by billsaysthis at 11:37 AM on February 17

SportsFilter: The Thursday Huddle

The_Black_Hand: Greg Maddux steps away from serial murder to prank Kris Bryant

I hope I'm doing this right. It's been a long time.

Ha! That was fantastic. You could see the point where Bryant was thinking "The fuck, I can't hit a goddamn curveball thrown by the sound guy?!?". Well sure, if the sound guy is one of the top 5 right-hand pitchers of literally all time.

And of course, it was... very important that Bryant took it all in good humor. :)

posted by hincandenza at 02:51 AM on February 17

SportsFilter: The Thursday Huddle

I don't know if this sort of divisional bunching is typical or not.

It would make sense that teams from a given division would all (or mostly) end up bunched in opponents' strength of schedule. It is the result of all teams in a division playing all of the teams in 2 other divisions, one NFC and one AFC. If your division draws a division with more than one good team, your division's strength of schedule rises accordingly. The AFC West played all of the NFC South teams this past season, thus running into Tampa Bay, New Orleans, Carolina, and Atlanta. All 4 were decent with the exception of Carolina. Of course Atlanta was not too bad. The teams from the AFC East played AFC North and NFC West. AFC North had 1 very good team, Pittsburgh, and 2 decent teams, Baltimore and Cincinnati. NFC West had Arizona and Seattle to balance Los Angeles and San Francisco. So why is New England;s strength of schedule lower than the other 3 teams in the AFC East? It's pretty simple; New England doesn't have to play the Patriots, while the other 3 teams get to play them twice.

posted by Howard_T at 01:00 AM on February 17

SportsFilter: The Monday Huddle

Hey!

posted by yerfatma at 11:06 PM on February 16

SportsFilter: The Thursday Huddle

Just happened to see the 2017 NFL season Strength of Schedule.

The top 4 toughest schedules belong to the entire AFC West: Denver, KC, SD, Oakland in that order.

Then, three of the next four teams are from the AFC East. Everyone except...the Patriots, who are down the chart a few notches.

I don't see the SOS every year so I don't know if this sort of divisional bunching is typical or not.

posted by beaverboard at 09:14 PM on February 16

Arsene Wenger: Arsenal 'mentally collapsed' against Bayern Munich

I reckon Wenger will go out on his own terms at the end of this season.

Piers Morgan is a good enough reason to start questioning your Arsenal fandom.

I'm glad that our celebrity fans are people you've never heard of.

posted by owlhouse at 08:11 PM on February 16

SportsFilter: The Monday Huddle

I almost posted that one, but really didn't want it to be my "return to Sportsfilter" post.

posted by The_Black_Hand at 06:42 PM on February 16

SportsFilter: The Thursday Huddle

Greg Maddux steps away from serial murder to prank Kris Bryant

I hope I'm doing this right. It's been a long time.

posted by The_Black_Hand at 06:40 PM on February 16

Arsene Wenger: Arsenal 'mentally collapsed' against Bayern Munich

I guess the real question is: when they do eventually sack Wenger, will that watershed event be included in the fifth or sixth volume of Piers Morgan's memoirs?

As I'm sure JK Rowling would agree, just because Morgan can go airborne while holding his dick doesn't mean he knows how to play Quidditch.

posted by beaverboard at 08:23 AM on February 16

Arsene Wenger: Arsenal 'mentally collapsed' against Bayern Munich

Reading huge Arsenal fan (and general blowhard) Piers Morgan on Twitter (@piersmorgan) was pure GOLD! He's wanted Wenger out for a few seasons.

As he put it before the match - chances of Arsenal winning were, "No Hope, Bob Hope and No Hope." He reminded everyone of that at 4-1.

If I'm not mistaken, haven't there been reports Wenger's been offered another 2-year contract?

posted by jjzucal at 12:19 AM on February 16

Arsene Wenger: Arsenal 'mentally collapsed' against Bayern Munich

That was depressing. A dead rubber back in London (and Barcelona).

posted by sbacharach at 09:53 PM on February 15

NBA Pick 'Em Week 17: Charles Oakley Will Smash Edition

Turned my tickets for Celtics vs 76ers back for credit. Snow coming tonight, and it's a long ride home from the T stop. Here's the picks.

Cavaliers have struggled a bit lately, but Pacers won't have enough to take advantage. Cleveland by 12 SLAM

Knicks beat a San Antonio team that was in the middle of a long road trip and played poorly. They will hear some loud Thunder. Oklahoma City by 11.

Celtics have been hot of late, but Bulls have played well too. Chicago by 4.

posted by Howard_T at 07:32 PM on February 15

NBA Pick 'Em Week 17: Charles Oakley Will Smash Edition

CLE by 7
OKC by 9
BOS by 16 (SLAM)

posted by Ufez Jones at 06:23 PM on February 15

NBA Pick 'Em Week 17: Charles Oakley Will Smash Edition

Indiana by 4
Oklahoma City by 14
Boston by 8

posted by NoMich at 02:00 PM on February 15

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

I'll make it easy for you, Ufez: I won all of the prop bets. There, done.

posted by NoMich at 01:58 PM on February 15

NBA Pick 'Em Week 17: Charles Oakley Will Smash Edition

Cleveland by 3
Oklahoma City by 3
SLAM Boston by 11 SLAM

posted by bender at 01:28 PM on February 15

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

Ufez: Thanks for the offer to help on the NBA Pick 'Em. I've got that covered, but if you have time to do some or all of the Super Bowl prop bets that would help me finish that contest while I'm traveling. (If not I'll likely post it Friday.)

posted by rcade at 01:27 PM on February 15

NBA Pick 'Em Week 17: Charles Oakley Will Smash Edition

Cleveland by 10
Oklahoma City by 16
Boston by 5

posted by rcade at 01:25 PM on February 15

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

Saw clips of the Westminster dog show from MSG last night. With all the Frazier, et al. numbers hanging from the rafters. The question was asked - aren't some of those dogs going to lose control with all the bright lights and commotion?

I said: they take the dog most likely to leave a stain and place it where Dolan normally sits. They've been working on that spot for years.

posted by beaverboard at 11:12 AM on February 15

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

I did get a slight chuckle out of Spike Lee wearing an Oakley jersey courtside of Sunday's Knicks/Spurs game.

posted by Ufez Jones at 10:53 AM on February 15

SportsFilter: The Tuesday Huddle

Something happen to the site's CSS? I'm seeing all of the text in Times and it's really small.

Never mind. Something was wrong on my end. For some reason, Arial was disabled on my Mac. OS X Sierra.

posted by NoMich at 10:22 AM on February 15

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

Sports has been doing a good job in the "week seems like an eternity" department. Just look at Duke All-American guard Grayson Allen's indefinite suspension in December.

On the flip side, I only partially followed the Oakley/MSG/Knicks story and thought the lifetime ban was a little extreme and knee jerk, so I am pleased it was rescinded.

posted by prof at 09:25 AM on February 15

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

It really says something about the last year or so that my first reaction to that was "Oh shit, did Oakley die?"

posted by Etrigan at 08:46 AM on February 15

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

Not to be outdone by politics in the "sometimes less than a week can seem like an eternity" department, Charles Oakley's lifetime Madison Square Garden ban was rescinded after four days.

posted by beaverboard at 07:11 AM on February 15

SportsFilter: The Tuesday Huddle

Montreal Canadiens fire Michel Therrien, replace him with ex-Boston Bruins head coach Claude Julien

posted by tommytrump at 05:47 PM on February 14

SportsFilter: The Tuesday Huddle

The Guardian on NHL relocation

Of course I turn to a British paper to find out information about a Canadian sport in an American city!

That said, well written article that helped remind me how god damn good that Hartford Whalers logo was.

posted by grum@work at 03:49 PM on February 14

SportsFilter: The Tuesday Huddle

Wasn't this supposed to be a no-stars, character building, regroup and assessment year for U Conn?

posted by beaverboard at 03:33 PM on February 14

SportsFilter: The Tuesday Huddle

posted by NoMich at 01:05 PM on February 14

SportsFilter: The Tuesday Huddle

The UConn women have carried their win streak into triple digits.

posted by Ufez Jones at 12:51 PM on February 14

SportsFilter: The Tuesday Huddle

The Guardian on NHL relocation: Which NHL teams are moving? A guide to hockey's latest relocation rumors. Who knew? Despite all the constant rumors and discontent, the NHL is actually as stable as any of the USAian/Canadian major leagues.

posted by billsaysthis at 11:31 AM on February 14

SportsFilter: The Monday Huddle

Like father like son, unfortunately.

posted by grum@work at 05:44 PM on February 13

SportsFilter: The Monday Huddle

Here is Nic Wallin's own goal from a long time ago. It still hurts.

posted by NoMich at 01:41 PM on February 13

SportsFilter: The Monday Huddle

I believe that was the Devils, and Martin Brodeur became the only goalie to be credited with a game winning goal. I tried to find video, but I'm at work and my time is probably better spent elsewhere!

posted by tahoemoj at 12:15 PM on February 13

SportsFilter: The Monday Huddle

I had been on vacation last week, so I just saw the "own goal" in the Stars game and wanted to comment. Normally I would comment on that day, but since Huddle has been quiet the last few days . . .

I don't remember the details as it has probably been 10 years, but a NHL team down a goal, pull the goalie and move the puck to the far goal line and attempt to pass it back to a player between the circles. The puck skips over his teammate's stick and goes the length of the ice for a goal.

At the time (could still be true) the goal is credited to the last player to have control of the puck for the scoring team. In this case, that player had last controlled the puck almost a minute before he "scored" the goal. :)

posted by prof at 11:42 AM on February 13

Mike Ilitch, owner of the Tigers and Red Wings, passes away at 87.

Yep, 1984 was the other pizza guy.

posted by NoMich at 08:14 AM on February 13

Mike Ilitch, owner of the Tigers and Red Wings, passes away at 87.

It's a shame the Tigers didn't win a World Series during his tenure as owner. Seems like that was the one he really wanted (not that the Stanley Cups weren't great, I'm sure).

posted by holden at 08:03 AM on February 13

Mike Ilitch, owner of the Tigers and Red Wings, passes away at 87.

There is so much more to him then sports but he was a owner that cared about his teams players, fans and the City of Detroit. RIP.

posted by ic23b at 09:57 PM on February 10

NBA Pick 'Em Week 16: Go Mavericks Edition

Chicago by 3
Golden State by 8
SLAM San Antonio by 12 SLAM
Indiana by 3
Portland by 3

posted by bender at 09:39 PM on February 10

Mike Ilitch, owner of the Tigers and Red Wings, passes away at 87.

Ilitch's admiration of Detroit also was put on display in 2009, when General Motors struggling under the threat of bankruptcy discontinued its sponsorship of the popular General Motors Fountain at Comerica Park. Instead of selling the space to other bidders, Ilitch gave the advertising spot to each of the area's car companies that season at no cost.

posted by grum@work at 08:20 PM on February 10

NBA Pick 'Em Week 16: Go Mavericks Edition

Between NBA and the past NFL season, this has been my most forgetful pick'em season ever.

Washington by 7 (slam dunk)

Phoenix by 3

Golden State by 14 (slam dunk)

San Antonio by 16 (slam dunk)

San Antonio by 6

Atlanta by 5

posted by Goyoucolts at 02:51 PM on February 10

SportsFilter: The Friday Huddle

I was just about to share that. Auugh!

posted by rcade at 01:06 PM on February 10

SportsFilter: The Friday Huddle

So this is a thing that happened.

posted by Mr Bismarck at 12:52 PM on February 10

NBA Pick 'Em Week 16: Go Mavericks Edition

Portland by 2

posted by bender at 07:21 PM on February 09

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

The goalie (Ryan Kern) listed as 5'9", so probably 5'7" in reality. Bottom of the cross bar is 6'.

posted by umrlax at 03:32 PM on February 09

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

The handball goal was from some charity game, right? That's why everyone (even the opposition) claps.

And was the keeper for the lacrosse goal some middle school kid they used by mistake? He looked like he was 5 feet tall at best.

posted by grum@work at 01:28 PM on February 09

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

That lustful heathen Mike Price didn't win a game. Seek ye not the fleshpot nor shall ye dishonor the bowl of iron.

posted by beaverboard at 12:20 PM on February 09

NBA Pick 'Em Week 16: Go Mavericks Edition

Cleveland by 6
Boston by 8
Washington by 12 (SLAM)
Chicago by 7
Golden State by 12 (SLAM)
San Antonio (Sunday) by 11 (SLAM)
San Antonio (Monday) by 4
Portland (Monday) by 6

posted by Ufez Jones at 11:47 AM on February 09

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

Is Sarkisian the only member of the coaching staff in Alabama history to go winless?

posted by Etrigan at 10:11 AM on February 09

SportsFilter: The Tuesday Huddle

So sorry rcade.

posted by tselson at 11:49 PM on February 08

NBA Pick 'Em Week 16: Go Mavericks Edition

Continuing with the business that was interrupted by dinner preparation:

Cavaliers having trouble controlling their mounts. Oklahoma city by 7

West Coast games are terrible for my sleeping pattern. Not so good for Boston either. Portland by 10.

Pacers trot to DC but there's no yellow brick road to these Wizards. Washington by 12. SLAM

Bulls will try to roam the desert. Suns do not shine brightly. Chicago by 8.

Kevin Durant will not be welcomed as the Prodigal Son, but he wins anyway. Golden State by 10.

Popovich has his team give basketball lessons to the big city. San Antonio by 9.

For their efforts on Sunday, the Spurs are rewarded with a trip to the Midwest. San Antonio by 14.

The team from a city in disbelief to play in the Northwest. The Hawks don't do any better than those other birds. Portland by 5.

posted by Howard_T at 11:05 PM on February 08

NBA Pick 'Em Week 16: Go Mavericks Edition

Knicks by 4
Warriors by 17 (SLAM)

posted by Ufez Jones at 08:08 PM on February 08

NBA Pick 'Em Week 16: Go Mavericks Edition

Tonight for openers, the rest later:

Los Angeles (fast sailing ship variety) by 11 SLAM Golden State by 16 SLAM