Recent Comments

SportsFilter: The Friday Huddle

If Kyrie heads West and LeBron follows

If Kyrie is traded before or during this season, Boston might become the default power in the East. This said whether or not LeBron stays in Cleveland this season. Now here's Cleveland's problem (and incidentally LeBron's): LeBron has already hinted at a desire to move to LA next season, thus anyone except Lakers trading for him will be trading for a 1-year rental. Thus the value to be returned to Cleveland is lessened. Even the lessened value of a 1-year LeBron could be great enough that the team acquiring him gives up so much that having LeBron does not make them better. The only thing that Cleveland management can do is to somehow appease Kyrie, get him and LeBron to "kiss and make up", and see what they can do to improve the team enough to actually win the finals this season. My take is that this is "Mission Impossible" (RIP Martin Landau).

posted by Howard_T at 06:41 PM on July 21

SportsFilter: The Friday Huddle

If Kyrie heads West and LeBron follows, who in the junior varsity conference will stand Tree Rollins tall against the looming Ainge leviathan?

posted by beaverboard at 04:56 PM on July 21

SportsFilter: The Friday Huddle

So how's your day?

posted by yerfatma at 04:14 PM on July 21

SportsFilter: The Thursday Huddle

If you imagine it like the Catholic Church, except even more sanctimonious for even less reason, you'll be halfway there.

posted by yerfatma at 04:13 PM on July 21

SportsFilter: The Friday Huddle

Hugh Freeze and Sean Spicer couldn't have just swapped jobs?

posted by beaverboard at 03:51 PM on July 21

SportsFilter: The Thursday Huddle

Freeze Busted by Nutt Law Dog, Phone Log

For that description alone...

posted by grum@work at 11:59 PM on July 20

SportsFilter: The Thursday Huddle

I will never understand American college sports. From an outsider's point of view, it looks like everyone (coaches, players, administrators) seems to be involved in some kind of sex scandal or a cover up.

It's almost as if it's Rugby League.

posted by owlhouse at 11:54 PM on July 20

SportsFilter: The Thursday Huddle

Freeze Busted by Nutt Law Dog, Phone Log

posted by beaverboard at 10:57 PM on July 20

SportsFilter: The Thursday Huddle

I've finally gotten around to updating this:

MLB Last Man Standing List

It's a list of the last player to play for every now defunct/moved team in MLB history, and the last player ALIVE for some really old franchises/teams.

Bartolo Colon remains the last Expo standing, and there are only 5 remaining living Boston Braves (1876-1952) players.

posted by grum@work at 01:06 PM on July 20

SportsFilter: The Thursday Huddle

Colombia Day today and the Colombians were a little excited on the Tour.

Eventually, one of the moto riders had had enough.

posted by Mr Bismarck at 12:09 PM on July 20

I think you're missing a pick (Saskatchewan/Calgary) Thanks, tt

Calgary by 9

posted by cixelsyd at 11:11 PM on July 19

Edmonton by 6

B.C. by 12

Calgary by 17

Toronto by 9

posted by rcade at 10:39 PM on July 19

CFL Pick 'Em, Week Five

Since I don't think that Montreal and Ottawa will be in a 4 or 5 hour delay for moose attack, zombie apocalypse, or snow, I guess I will not be able to pick that one. Wednesday night football makes no sense to me. Thursday is bad enough, but Wednesday?

Anyway, here are the rest of the picks.

Tigercats have played like tame kittens while Eskimos have had the sled dogs running in high gear. Edmonton by 6

Winnipeg are coming off a win in Toronto, but have to fly all the way west to face hungry Lions. BC by 13

The Stamps seem to be the consensus choice this week. Who am I to argue? Calgary by 10

Thanks to the vagaries of the CFL schedule we get a second crack at picking Ottawa. The problem is that nobody is picking them. I won't either. Toronto by 7

posted by Howard_T at 10:33 PM on July 19

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

I mean, you signed an 8 year extension with the Lions...the *Lions*...and your beef now is they didn't look like Super Bowl contenders? Well, no shit...

posted by MeatSaber at 09:03 PM on July 19

Montreal by 1
Hamilton by 4
B.C. by 14
Saskatchewan by 19
Toronto by 17

posted by bender at 08:09 PM on July 19

Ottawa by 8

Edmonton by 3

BC by 7

Calgary by 5

Toronto by 6

posted by Reever at 08:03 PM on July 19

CFL Pick 'Em, Week Five

Ott by 3; Edm by 4; bc by 4; Cal by 4; tor by 3.

posted by JPR at 08:02 PM on July 19

Ottawa by 12
Edmonton by 19
B.C. by 6
Calgary by 16
Ottawa by 2

posted by DrJohnEvans at 04:01 PM on July 19

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

The bid for an MLS team in Raleigh escalated with the reveal of a stadium plan. (The Raleigh News & Observer tempts Betteridge's Law of Headlines here)

posted by NoMich at 01:37 PM on July 19

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

Minor League bat dog ignores bat, takes baseball out of pitcher's hand instead

posted by tommytrump at 01:22 PM on July 19

Roger Federer Wins 8th Wimbledon Championship

Give Cilic a bit of credit: he was dealing with some foot blistering which hampered his mobility.

posted by yerfatma at 12:30 PM on July 19

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

From the Perhaps-a-bit-on-the-nose-department: Forever an owner's league: why NFL superstars are never truly free.

posted by billsaysthis at 11:41 AM on July 19

Ottawa by five

Eddie by five

BC by a field goal

Cowtown by eight

Toronto by a field goal

posted by argoal at 10:14 AM on July 19

CFL Pick 'Em, Week Five

I believe this is the first time I have led this merry bunch. Let's see if I can keep this up AND prepare for the EPL fantasy season.

Ottawa by 6

Edmonton by 23

Winnipeg by 5

Calgary by 13

Toronto by 17

posted by jjzucal at 08:25 PM on July 18

CFL Pick 'Em, Week Five

cixelsyd, I think you're missing a pick (Saskatchewan/Calgary).

posted by tommytrump at 07:01 PM on July 18

SportsFilter: The Monday Huddle

Wow!

[And a very astute side note that I doubt many players would realize.]

posted by bender at 07:01 PM on July 18

Montreal by 3

Edmonton by 12

Winnipeg by 8

Calgary by 14

Toronto by 6

I'm no better at picking CFL games than I am at picking NFL games. And I take some comfort in that.

posted by tahoemoj at 04:08 PM on July 18

Edmonton by 12

Winnipeg by 6

Calgary by 14

Toronto by 10

posted by jagsnumberone at 01:38 PM on July 18

CFL Pick 'Em, Week Five

Toronto comes out strong but fades in the home stretch as Winnipeg hands them a million dollar loss. A big fourth quarter puts Montreal over the top in a Calgary upset. A nailbiter out west, but Ottawa can't quite seal the deal and Edmonton takes it home. Closer to home, Hamilton loses again.

TOR @ WPGCGY @ WPGOTT @ EDMBC @ HAM
ResultWinnipeg by 8Montreal by 7Edmonton by 2B.C. by 15
Margin of Error6 to 105 to 91 to 311 to 20

Another tough week for points, but jjzucal nabs three to leapfrog into first. Honourable mention for Reever whose 5 points lands him square in the logjam for second.

SpoFiteTOR @ WPGSCGY @ WPGSOTT @ EDMSBC @ HAMSPointsTotal Points
jjzucal Edmonton B.C.14313
argoal Edmonton B.C. 212
JPRWinnipeg Edmonton3B.C. 412
ReeverWinnipeg7 Edmonton3B.C. 512
cixelsyd Edmonton B.C.17311
tommytrumpWinnipeg B.C. 210
jagsnumberone Edmonton3 210
ic23b Edmonton B.C. 210
benderWinnipeg Montreal Edmonton B.C. 410
Howard_T Edmonton B.C. 29
rcadeWinnipeg7 B.C. 39
DrJohnEvansWinnipeg6 B.C. 39
tahoemoj B.C.1228

It's a no-bye week, and Ottawa draws the short straw.

WEEK 5

Montreal @ Ottawa (Wednesday, July 19)
Montreal's been a pleasant surprise, but Ottawa's three tough-luck losses means they're still looking for their first win. I'll take Ottawa's regression over Montreal's.

Edmonton @ Hamilton (Thursday, July 20)
Hamilton's three losses have been anything but tough luck: they're getting smoked. Edmonton's at the top of their division with a perfect 3-0 record, but all their victories have been tight. Still, you gotta take the Esks until Hamilton proves they can play.

Winnipeg @ B.C. (Friday, July 21)
The Lions have looked great to open the season - but their depth may be tested. Do you believe in the second coming of Travis Lulay?

Saskatchewan @ Calgary (Saturday, July 22)
When I'm making these predictions, I look at all the numbers, take injuries into consideration, and weight recent performance more heavily. Then I remember that Kevin Glenn is starting for the Riders and I give up trying to predict anything.

Ottawa @ Toronto (Monday, July 24)
Redblacks take two! Toronto has surprisingly played better than their 2-2 record would suggest. Maybe they're due for an old-fashioned Argo bounce?

Good luck!

posted by DrJohnEvans at 01:01 PM on July 18

SportsFilter: The Monday Huddle

first out of the inning

That throw from the prone position, all arm, was pretty bad ass.

posted by tahoemoj at 12:31 PM on July 18

SportsFilter: The Monday Huddle

From the Mariners twitter account: Jean, Jean the incredible-game-saving-putout machine.

posted by tommytrump at 10:41 AM on July 18

SportsFilter: The Monday Huddle

Jean Segura almost single-handedly saved the Mariners in the 9th inning with just his defense. It may be the greatest single inning of defensive work I've ever watched.

- first out of the inning : if he doesn't make this play, the winning run scores. Difficulty level: 9 out of 10

- second out of the inning : if he doesn't make this play, the winning run scores. Difficulty level: 5 out of 10

- third out of the inning : If he doesn't make this play the winning run scores. Difficulty level: 8 out of 10*

*Side note: If the baserunner going to second had simply run THROUGH the bag (instead of the instinctual slide that everyone is supposed to do), he's (probably) safe and the winning run scores. However, it's anti-intuitive to run through second base and I don't blame him for doing what he did.

posted by grum@work at 01:10 AM on July 18

Roger Federer Wins 8th Wimbledon Championship

Watched the first set and it was obvious Cilic had no chance. Federer looked like he was playing a tuneup against a college freshman.

posted by cixelsyd at 11:45 PM on July 17

SportsFilter: The Monday Huddle

Kind of a rare event in the Jays/BoSox game.

The "win" wasn't given to the pitcher of record.

The Jays led 3-0 going into the bottom of the 7th inning in Boston.
Then, the Red Sox scored two runs and had two men on with two out.
The Jays brought in the relief pitcher (Leone).
He threw one pitch, which was hit for a double (tying the game) and also got the 3rd out (runner gunned down at home plate).

The top of the 8th saw the Jays score a run to take the lead back.

The bottom of the 8th saw a different pitcher (Tepera) throw a clean 1-2-3 inning.

Then Osuna gunned the Red Sox down 1-2-3 in the 9th.

Normally, Leone would get the win by being the pitcher of record.
However, the scorer (correctly) determined he was not "effective", and gave the "win" to Tepera.

I can't think of the last time that's happened, but I rarely notice it in box scores when I glance at them.

posted by grum@work at 10:55 PM on July 17

SportsFilter: The Monday Huddle

If he ever gets to wear the armband, calling him Captain Hamhart will be unavoidable.

posted by beaverboard at 05:40 PM on July 17

SportsFilter: The Monday Huddle

Joe Hart to West Ham on a season-long loan. Glad to see him back in England.

posted by rcade at 08:53 AM on July 17

Roger Federer Wins 8th Wimbledon Championship

Kelly Slater was world surfing champion 11 times from age 20 to age 39. Both the youngest and oldest to win the title.

A long career in what is normally considered to be a young man's sport.

posted by owlhouse at 05:29 AM on July 17

Roger Federer Wins 8th Wimbledon Championship

LeBron has been in the NBA Finals for seven straight years. It's an incredible feat.

It's the fact he's done it with two different teams during that stretch that makes it amazing.

K.C. Jones, Sam Jones, and Bill Russell went to the finals 8 straight seasons (and won each time) with the Boston Celtics, but LeBron's feat is more impressive to me.

posted by grum@work at 12:36 AM on July 17

Roger Federer Wins 8th Wimbledon Championship

posted by rcade at 04:58 PM on July 16

Roger Federer Wins 8th Wimbledon Championship

Buffalo, proud AFL Champions, 1964 and 1965

posted by beaverboard at 03:02 PM on July 16

Roger Federer Wins 8th Wimbledon Championship

Two of those in your list have won championships multiple times, so the sting of losing is probably offset somewhat.

The Bills, however....

posted by grum@work at 12:54 PM on July 16

Roger Federer Wins 8th Wimbledon Championship

I thought Federer was done as a Wimbledon champion, and thought Tom Brady would retire with three rings. There was a point at which I actually didn't want to see the Pats to go to any more Super Bowls so Brady wouldn't end up being 3-6 in the big game.

I'm digging these mindbending, presumption busting late career surges.

As Jack "1986" Nicklaus has long said, it all starts with putting yourself in a position to win, as he, Brady, and Federer have done so remarkably and consistently in their careers.

Being a runner up a bunch of times to me is a worthy measure of success. It means you had what it took to put yourself in that position. Hello, all the above guys, and hello Mickelson, LeBron, and the Buffalo Bills, among others.

posted by beaverboard at 12:26 PM on July 16

Roger Federer Wins 8th Wimbledon Championship

Federer, 35, last won in 2012.

And when he won then, everyone talked about how it was his last hurrah.

posted by grum@work at 12:02 PM on July 16

Roger Federer Wins 8th Wimbledon Championship

Speaking from experience, I think Cilic's second set problem looked like a panic attack. He was moving like he wanted to be anywhere but in his own body. Your pulse races, you hyperventilate and your extremities get numb as you enter fight-or-flight mode.

If that's what happened, it's nothing short of amazing he was able to keep playing.

posted by rcade at 11:51 AM on July 16

SportsFilter: The Friday Huddle

Sure, but only if you set the field on fire

posted by NoMich at 10:08 AM on July 16

SportsFilter: The Friday Huddle

Are we sharing our choices?

Barnsey.

posted by owlhouse at 12:49 AM on July 16

SportsFilter: The Friday Huddle

Well, obviously, as a rookie in the bigs, I would have to go with John Fogerty's Centerfield or his other big hit, Who Let the Dogs Out, but as my jersey sales went up, I go ease into Ornette's magnum opus by using a short clip starting at 55", but as I got better and better at the plate and became a bigger and bigger star, I would eventually insist on the playing the entire song before before stepping into the batter's box.

posted by NoMich at 12:36 PM on July 15

SportsFilter: The Friday Huddle

NoMich, if Dock Ellis was alive and in uniform, that tune would light him up like an emergency vehicle and he'd strike you out every time you stepped to the plate.

Hold on, I'm getting a voice from the beyond...hey, it's Dock himself. What's that, Dock?

Dock said "On two pitches".

posted by beaverboard at 12:19 PM on July 15

SportsFilter: The Friday Huddle

NoMich, I assume you'd use clip starting around 55 seconds when Coleman starts his solo? Not sure MLB would be down with that kind of Jazz...

posted by billsaysthis at 11:42 AM on July 15

SportsFilter: The Friday Huddle

I have finally found my walk up song. I would be a .500 hitter, no question.

posted by NoMich at 11:39 PM on July 14

SportsFilter: The Friday Huddle

Robust FIFA scandaleer Chuck Blazer has left this garden of earthly delights and is looking at the prospects for sizeable commissions in the afterlife.

posted by beaverboard at 10:18 PM on July 14

Peter Karmanos close to selling Hurricanes for $500 million

I was a Hartford resident for a couple of troubling years. I do better as a visitor than a resident.

But I always thought it was great to be able to walk around downtown and pass by the Civic Center and realize, hey, there's a major league hockey game going on in there, and it's not jamming up the downtown or making life temporarily annoying. The scale of the Whalers enterprise fit in with the modest surroundings. Same with the UConn basketball games that got played there.

In the early 80's, UConn basketball was not a happening thing. It was prior to the arrival of Auriemma and Calhoun. The facility could be cavernous and subdued on certain days, depending on the opponent. A good place to spend a cold, rainy late winter weekend afternoon.

posted by beaverboard at 12:12 PM on July 14

Peter Karmanos close to selling Hurricanes for $500 million

That glum and unanointed bend in the Connecticut River

As someone who spent the first decade of his life there, I want you to know that I take absolutely no exception to that comment.

I ran into a guy at the BottleRock Music Festival in Napa, California a couple of years back sporting the Kelly green and blue. Cost me $10 because I had to buy him a drink for flying the flag.

posted by tahoemoj at 11:48 AM on July 14

CFL Pick 'Em, Week Four

Win by 3; cal by 4; Edm by 3; bc by 3.

posted by JPR at 07:14 PM on July 13

Winnipeg by 7

Calgary by 13

Edmonton by 3

BC by 8

posted by Reever at 07:13 PM on July 13

Peter Karmanos close to selling Hurricanes for $500 million

I always wonder what might have happened if the Whale had stayed put in Hartford and Bob Kraft had gone ahead with his plan to move the Patriots there in the late 1990's.

That glum and unanointed bend in the Connecticut River would have become an epicenter of New England pro sports. With the other Boston teams staying put and looking on with disapproval from afar.

posted by beaverboard at 06:55 PM on July 13

CFL Pick 'Em, Week Four

Once again we find ourselves in a slow spiral toward the bottom of the standings. No matter, there is always hope. I feel a bit like the birds that come to my backyard feeders. They peck away and peck away until they find exactly the right seed or nut for their taste. So it is with my picks; pecking away until I actually get one right.

Argonauts showed they might have something in holding off Ottawa, or did Ottawa show that they lacked something in losing to Toronto. I don't know, but I will give Argos credit for a bit of momentum. Toronto by 6

Alouettes need to be careful about allowing a group of rampaging quadrupeds into their stadium. Birdies get hurt. Calgary by 12

The color-confused group from Ottawa will find a tall order to fill in the land of the Eskimos. They will fall short. Edmonton by 9

Cat fights tend to be noisy, lots of yowling before the engagement, hissing and screaming during the very brief battle, and some muttering and licking of wounds afterward. The cat fight in Hamilton might be similar, although not as brief. Look for the striped cats to be licking their wounds while the tawny cats walk away with tails held high. BC by 3

posted by Howard_T at 06:08 PM on July 13

Peter Karmanos close to selling Hurricanes for $500 million

I was never a Whalers' fan, but I loved the fact that the Bruins had a rival within the New England area and required a drive of less than 2 hours (from southern NH) to see. I still see the occasional set of flukes on a Whaler t-shirt at various events around Boston.

posted by Howard_T at 05:49 PM on July 13

Peter Karmanos close to selling Hurricanes for $500 million

Coincidentally, the guy that wrote Brass Bonanza passed away 2 or 3 days ago.

To commemorate his passing, local stations replayed footage of the final home game in Hartford, with the guys tossing their gloves and gear to the fans in the stands after the horn went off.

That communal goodbye and sendoff was a heartfelt, bittersweet lovefest.

posted by beaverboard at 04:50 PM on July 13

Peter Karmanos close to selling Hurricanes for $500 million

This brokenhearted Whalers fan (i) would applaud Karmanos no longer having anything to do with the team; (ii) stopped caring about the sale when I read that the team would remain in North Carolina. Sorry NoMich, but the Whale should be playing at the mall, and the dulcet tones of Brass Bonanza should be crooning the insurance industry yuppies and Colt gun executives once again.

posted by tahoemoj at 04:32 PM on July 13

Winnipeg by 6
Calgary by 19
Ottawa by 6
B.C. by 9

posted by DrJohnEvans at 11:39 AM on July 13

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

Sure, but I just wanted to know how much of the NL, past or current (but only including teams that still exist) has been beaten by the Yankees in the World Series. Roughly 2/3 is pretty amazing, and it's notable that all the teams they haven't beat didn't come into the league until at least the 60s, and include 3 teams (half their misses) that didn't come in until the 90s.

posted by LionIndex at 06:20 AM on July 13

Toronto by 6

Calgary by 11

Edmonton by 3

Hamilton by 2

posted by jagsnumberone at 10:32 PM on July 12

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

• Brewers have been in the NL for only 20 seasons, and have only made the playoffs twice in that time.
  • Astros are no longer in the NL, so that's never going to happen.
  • The Yankees had their chance against the Marlins and blew it, which is amazing since the Marlins have made the playoffs in only twice in 24 seasons.
  • Rocktober is a rare event (3 times in 24 seasons), but the Yankees actually made it to the World Series in one of those times (2009).
  • They were two outs away with the best closer in history, so it's not like the Yankees didn't have their chance against the Diamondbacks.
  • Making it to the World Series at least once should be a requirement to be on this list. We might have had our matchup in 1994 as the Yankees and Expos were far and away the best teams in their leagues at season's end...

posted by grum@work at 10:00 PM on July 12

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

By the way, Judge is worth the price of admission until opposing pitchers and scouts find the holes in his swing.

Then they need to talk to young Roberto Osuna (from "Other Team In Yankees' Division"). He's almost 3 years younger than Judge, and the giant is 0-for-5 against him with 4 strikeouts.

posted by grum@work at 09:50 PM on July 12

Toronto by 4

Calgary by 10

Edmonton by 10

B.C. by 14

posted by jjzucal at 09:20 PM on July 12

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

Aw, missed one. So, 10 out of 16.

posted by LionIndex at 07:45 PM on July 12

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

Whaddya got against the Reds?

posted by tahoemoj at 06:49 PM on July 12

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

This ESPN headline is just terrible.

...but very understandable. ESPN is a television (well, cable TV anyway), and as such lives on its ratings. I seem to remember something about the New York metropolitan area being the largest TV market in the USA. (or maybe 2nd, I don't know for sure) On the other hand, Seattle, while a really nice place to live, even when it rains, is not a terribly large market. Thus, the headline "Mariners' Star's Walk-Off Wins All Star Game" would not excite a very lareg fan base. One must also understand that the next Sunday Night Baseball game on ESPN happens to be Boston Red Sox at New York Yankees. No matter where these 2 teams are in the standings, ESPN will hype the rivalry every time.

posted by Howard_T at 06:39 PM on July 12

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

Answering my own request: They've beaten the Cubs, Dodgers, Giants, Phillies, Cardinals, Braves, Padres, Mets, and Pirates. So, they haven't beaten the Brewers, Astros, Marlins, Rockies, Diamondbacks, or the Nationals/Expos, making them 9 for 15 possible teams.

posted by LionIndex at 06:23 PM on July 12

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

Jigger statz request: how many NL teams (current or former) have NOT lost to the Yankees in the World Series?

posted by LionIndex at 06:16 PM on July 12

CFL Pick 'Em, Week Four

No wonder today's flights to Winnipeg were so cheap.

posted by DrJohnEvans at 05:55 PM on July 12

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

This ESPN headline is just terrible.

I like it. I think from now on, everything in baseball should be named according to how it relates to the Yankees. For instance, the Red Sox, simply enough, could just be the Boston "Archrivals of the Yankees" (you could even delete the "Boston"). The Jays, O's, and Rays can be the "Other Teams in the Yankees Division".

My beloved Cincinnati Reds could be the Cincinnati "Team that Beat the Yankees in the World Series in 1976", but it seems counterintuitive to speak of a relationship to the Yankees that isn't Yankee-favorable. Therefore, they can be the Cincinnati "Team that Lost to the Yankees in 1939 World Series". Likewise with the other NL teams that lost to the Yankees in the Series.

Hell, as a Reds fan, I can be referred to as a "Fan of the Team that is not the Yankees from 636 Miles West of the Bronx."

posted by tahoemoj at 05:39 PM on July 12

Thursday it is.

posted by cixelsyd at 05:32 PM on July 12

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

The worst 20 seconds of top-level soccer ever?

posted by billsaysthis at 04:36 PM on July 12

CFL Pick 'Em, Week Four

The CFL site has Toronto/Winnipeg playing tomorrow instead of today.

Winnipeg by 7

Toronto by 3

Calgary by 16

Edmonton by 6

B.C. by 10

posted by ic23b at 02:31 PM on July 12

CFL Pick 'Em, Week Four

B.C. leans on their ground game to notch a solid win in Montreal, while Calgary's big second half ensures they remain undefeated. Speaking of big second halves, Toronto needed one after scoring only a rouge in the first, and boy did they get it. Out west, that Kevin Glenn magic has the Riders sitting pretty.

BC @ MTLCGY @ WPGTOR @ OTTHAM @ SSK
ResultB.C. by 7Calgary by 19Toronto by 1Saskatchewan by 17
Margin of Error5 to 913 to 251 to 112 to 22

A low-scoring week, but jjzucal notches three to move into a tie for first.

SpoFiteBC @ MTLSCGY @ WPGSTOR @ OTTSHAM @ SSKSPointsTotal Points
argoalB.C. 110
jjzucal Toronto Saskatchewan13310
JPR 08
tommytrump Toronto 18
jagsnumberoneB.C. Calgary 28
ic23bB.C. Calgary Saskatchewan 38
cixelsydB.C.7 Saskatchewan 48
Reever Saskatchewan 17
Howard_TB.C. Saskatchewan 27
tahoemoj Saskatchewan 16
rcade Calgary Saskatchewan 26
benderB.C. Saskatchewan1936
DrJohnEvansB.C. Calgary Saskatchewan 36

Three weeks of football in the books, and our narratives are finally beginning to sprout.

WEEK 4

Toronto @ Winnipeg (Wednesday, July 13)
Here are two teams looking to establish a 2017 identity - this could be an opportunity for a big statement game. On the other hand, mosquitoes.

Calgary @ Montreal (Friday, July 14)
Montreal's showing signs of coming out of their multiyear funk, but Calgary's still coasting on last year's excellence. Odds are Calgary makes it to 4-0.

Ottawa @ Edmonton (Friday, July 14)
A tale of two Pythagoreans: Edmonton is 2-0 and +7. Ottawa is 0-2-1 and -5. Maybe this week starts to restore order for these teams.

B.C. @ Hamilton (Saturday, July 15)
It's early, but holy cow has Hamilton's offence been uninspiring. They'll need to be far better to beat the Lions.

Good luck!

posted by DrJohnEvans at 01:29 PM on July 12

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

Players like Judge may make the Yankees relevant again and give the likes of ESPN and others something non-ex-Yankee to write about.

posted by cixelsyd at 01:21 PM on July 12

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

This ESPN headline is just terrible.

If only Cano was still playing MLB for some other team...

posted by grum@work at 01:15 PM on July 12

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

I had no idea that Scott Newlands was such a popular choice to sing O Canada at sporting events. I've found ten different performances by him on Youtube.

posted by grum@work at 10:26 AM on July 12

Wayne Rooney Signs Two-Year Deal with Everton

Even at that size he kicks the ball better than the thought of Virgil van Dijk.

posted by yerfatma at 10:23 AM on July 12

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

Toronto Blue Jays All-Star first baseman shot her a nasty look when she did it.

posted by grum@work at 10:22 AM on July 12

Wayne Rooney Signs Two-Year Deal with Everton

From a Red perpsective

posted by billsaysthis at 10:16 AM on July 12

O Canada performance at MLB's All-Star Game draws criticism again

Just send Scott Newlands, done & done.

posted by tommytrump at 09:59 AM on July 12

Wayne Rooney Signs Two-Year Deal with Everton

It's a double-benefit since your share of TV revenue is based on league position as well. The system is designed to ensure the rich stay rich. It makes me long for the socialists behind US sports leagues.

posted by yerfatma at 02:47 PM on July 11

What football will look like in the future

Started, got through about 8 or 10 iterations, and gave up. There's an answer in there somewhere, but I think it's 42, and like Douglas Adams, nobody knows the question.

Back in my pre-teens and teenage years I used to read a lot of science fiction. Some of it was written like this, as a long and somewhat disjointed narrative, but this has the advantage of having graphics and a bit of interactivity. The odd thing is that the sci-fi I used to read might have had a computing or writing device such as the one that produced this story as one of it's main characters.

posted by Howard_T at 02:27 PM on July 11

SportsFilter: The Tuesday Huddle

The way Halep-Konta just ended at Wimbledon was a disgrace. On match point, someone in the crowd screamed loudly during play and Halep clearly stopped play, hitting the ball into the net. Without the scream she was set up perfectly to hit a winner.

The chair had just warned the crowd about their antics and didn't order a replay of the point, which is allowed under the rules.

posted by rcade at 02:03 PM on July 11

What football will look like in the future

I think it's serial - and not finished yet.

posted by DrJohnEvans at 01:43 PM on July 11

Wayne Rooney Signs Two-Year Deal with Everton

It's a shame; I saw Rooney as one who potentially was a "legacy" player - someone who would have retired a United player. Van Gaal started Rooney's his drop when he brought in Dupay and Martial. Mourinho had him close to persona non gratis until Ibra was hurt, so he became a good insurance policy. Thought he might stay for that reason but better he go to where he'll play regularly.

I don't know if this was meant to be light-hearted or ages-long yearning to return, but he stated he has worn Everton pajamas since he went to United.

As for earnings, Everton likely would have been higher in recent seasons had it been able to qualify for Europe more than 2009-10 and 2014-15 Europa League.

posted by jjzucal at 11:12 PM on July 10

SportsFilter: The Monday Huddle

Judge's teammate Dellin Betances expresses what everyone felt like watching Judge.

posted by grum@work at 10:22 PM on July 10

SportsFilter: The Monday Huddle

Normally the HR derby isn't all that enticing to me.

But, I'm going to admit that I was curious to see how Judge would do.

And...well...holy shit.

He wasn't even trying in the final round, and he won it with 2 minutes to spare and no timeouts.

posted by grum@work at 10:03 PM on July 10