FanDuel - WFBC

Recent Comments

ESPN Keeps Expanding Bowl Season With Its Own Games

My favorite part of Obscure Bowl Season is teams from the back half of the FBS (MAC, Sun Belt, MWC, etc) abandoning all pretense of defense and engaging each other in ludicrous shoot-outs (not always of the aerial varieties, either). It's fun to watch the offensive plans work so well.

posted by Bonkers at 10:17 PM on December 21

ESPN Keeps Expanding Bowl Season With Its Own Games

I'm also a fan of the weirder bowls. For a while I always made a point of watching the Humanitarian Bowl after its creation, because the idea of a postseason tilt on the smurf turf and fans schlepping all the way to Boise in winter appealed to me.

I also attended a college that only has a chance for postseason glory because of bowls like these. UNT is the Heart of Dallas champion for six more days.

posted by rcade at 12:29 PM on December 20

ESPN Keeps Expanding Bowl Season With Its Own Games

They've chosen the name wisely. Recycling an old bowl name makes it seem like the game has been in continual existence for a while.

Strange thing - there's something about these obscure bowls that I find compelling. Sited in somewhat out of the way places like Albuquerque and El Paso, often played in half empty stadiums, and featuring teams that you hadn't seen play during the regular season (if ever), if you find yourself chilling in a hotel on the road on a nasty weekend afternoon with some liquid refreshment, these games are very watchable in their own way.

I like the fact that the noise and energy levels are lower, so the announcers maintain a rather low key, even keel throughout. And they go into the same level of detail between plays as they do for the bigger games to fill the time and space in the broadcast. So instead of hearing about how many schools recruited a player, you get to hear some interesting ground level stuff, like how a certain interior lineman is extra motivated to play hard because his cousin just surprised everyone by coming back from deployment and showing up at the family owned barbeque joint looking for a little home cooking. And then they've got footage of the serviceman getting overcome with emotion when he sees the pulled pork coming at him.

And it's not like they don't have their own Katharine Webbs sitting in the stands in case Musburger were to drop by and visit the production trailer for a look.

posted by beaverboard at 10:31 AM on December 20

The Boston Celtics have traded Rajon Rondo to Dallas

An update about the Celtics without Rondo. They started Turner at the point, much to my surprise, but that might have had something to do with the size of the guards for Minnesota. Turner had a turnover early in the game, but then he settled down and had only 1 more for the game. From the outset the Celtics were pushing the ball up the floor, the offense was moving without the ball, and the ball was finding its way down low. This is the offense that Coach Stevens wants to run, but it did not always happen. Blame Rondo for slowing things down if you must, but it seemed that everyone else moved better off the ball than they had.

Marcus Smart had limited minutes in the first half, but he was on the floor in a close game late. Once he found his rhythm he began to take over a bit, hitting a couple of threes, making several good entry passes, and working the pick-and-roll a couple of times for assists on easy layups by Zeller and Bass. Unless there are further moves made from the Celtics backcourt, Jameer Nelson might find himself relegated to the splinter inspector on the bench. Between Turner, Pressey, Smart, and Bradley you have 3 point guards (Turner, Pressey, Smart) and 3 shooting guards (Turner, Bradley, Smart). This is not to say that any of them is as good at one of the guard spots as he is at the other, but all are serviceable. It also gives the opportunity to go to a 3-guard setup in order to harass the perimeter shooters on the other team.

As good as Rondo had been on defense, Smart makes up for it. He's quick, quite strong, and has some anticipation for where the ball might go. He's raw, but he looks like a fast learner. All in all, the Celtics in the short term will be no better nor worse without Rondo. I will bet that Dallas gets somewhat better, but I agree with tron7 and Zach Lowe that this is not the trade that puts Dallas into the Western Conference finals.

One last thing. I went to the game to have a look at Andrew Wiggin. My rheumatologist is a Kansas grad and was really hoping Wiggin would somehow fall to the Celtics. Wiggin left me thoroughly unimpressed. I barely knew when he was on the floor as the rest of the team did not involve him in the offense. He did nothing outstanding on defense either. The Kevin Love deal looks worse and worse every game.

posted by Howard_T at 02:24 AM on December 20

Chris Wondolowski Relives That Shot

I don't mind too much that the better team advanced.

It's a different kind of disappointment than that. Wondo's miss stole a great story from us. The fact that Belgium was so good made Howard look that much more the magician and made the story that much better. The improbability of it was the draw. Then comes the improbable miss. The fact that Wondolowski is a grinder and an all around nice guy almost makes it worse as he would have made a great hero.

posted by tron7 at 04:07 PM on December 19

Chris Wondolowski Relives That Shot

Bah. Brazil vs. Germany was a provincial matter for residents of those countries. Wondolowski's miss was a Wagnerian epic that will never be forgotten.

But I like him anyway for taking his lumps. So close!

It's weird to say we should've lost by five goals because our keeper was so good and he was tested again and again. Does anyone ever say that kind of thing when the person playing at the height of his talents is a striker?

posted by rcade at 02:26 PM on December 19

Chris Wondolowski Relives That Shot

I'm a pretty big USMNT fan, but if that shot goes in, the result is completely counter to the rest of the game. The Belgians should have beaten the US by five goals at least. I don't mind too much that the better team advanced.

posted by sbacharach at 02:25 PM on December 19

Chris Wondolowski Relives That Shot

To be honest, as a non-American I had completely forgot about that game (and that miss) until I read this headline.

The most memorable game for me is still the vivisection of Brazil by the Germans in the semi-finals.

posted by grum@work at 02:07 PM on December 19

SportsFilter: The Friday Huddle

Gay-friendly gamer punter Chris Kluwe has a SF novel coming out.

posted by rcade at 01:56 PM on December 19

The Boston Celtics have traded Rajon Rondo to Dallas

I haven't followed the Mavericks closely this season but on the surface I like the deal. Cuban isn't afraid of taking risks to maximize the chances for another title while Dirk is still playing.

I'd worry more about the loss of draft picks if the Mavs didn't have such a well-documented history of never building the team with them. The only draft pick in Cuban's entire tenure who became a meaningful contributor to the team was Josh Howard.

posted by rcade at 01:07 PM on December 19

The Boston Celtics have traded Rajon Rondo to Dallas

I don't really like the trade for the Mavs as it tinkers with the league's best offense and I don't think Rondo will do much to help their defense. Ultimately, I trust Carlisle to make it work but it's not a trade I would have made.

Zach Lowe over at Grantland (who is doing some of the best basketball analysis (not-stats-heavy division) out there, to my mind) seems to agree with respect to the offense:

The Mavs offense lives on ball movement and spacing; Monta Ellis has thrived as the lead ball handler, but he's also a killer passer, and the Mavs are at their best when they're pinging the ball to shooters dotting the perimeter. Rondo is a non-shooter, and as a result, he has almost always had the ball in Boston.

The Mavs were quietly comfortable parting with Shawn Marion in the offseason because they were sick of watching the Matrix's man clog the paint while he lurked in no-man's-land along the baseline. That's exactly where Rondo likes to hide when he doesn't have the ball. And when he's had it, at least in Boston, he has liked to dribble it around one screen, then another, then under the hoop and around the other end. That would not jibe well with the Mavs' sharing.

He also seems to agree with respect to the defense, for that matter.

posted by holden at 12:38 PM on December 19

SportsFilter: The Friday Huddle

Number 2 overall pick in the 2003 NBA Draft Darko Milicic is now kickboxing. He made his debut last night in Serbia, losing due to a laceration on his leg. Claims he's invincible.

posted by Ufez Jones at 11:58 AM on December 19

The Boston Celtics have traded Rajon Rondo to Dallas

If they finalized the deal in time, Brandan Wright would be tradeable again by the trade deadline and I think he would pull a decent haul. Wright is limited in what he can do but extraordinarily good at scoring efficiently and not turning the ball over. That's a lot more valuable to playoff teams than it will be to the Celtics over the next few years.

posted by tron7 at 11:26 AM on December 19

The Boston Celtics have traded Rajon Rondo to Dallas

It's almost like you think the starting PG of a high-powered offense shouldn't finish a game with 0 points and 0 assists.

The crazy thing about this whole ordeal is that even with the pieces Dallas has acquired, they're still arguably the 3rd or 4th best team in the Southwest Division. The Western Conference playoffs are going to be especially brutal this year.

posted by Ufez Jones at 09:45 AM on December 19

The Boston Celtics have traded Rajon Rondo to Dallas

Olbermann tweets:

From #Colbert Farewell: @MarkCuban finalized Rondo deal in green room, sitting w/Waterston, Daniels, me + dismaying UN Amb. Samantha Power
I can't stop chuckling at the idea of the United States Ambassador to the United Nations getting upset with Cuban backstage at a comedy news show with DA Jack McCoy and Lloyd from Dumb and Dumber in the background.

posted by Etrigan at 09:33 AM on December 19

SportsFilter: The Friday Huddle

Jags fans must be on Cloud 4 1/2 after last night's win, despite allowing Clipboard Jesus to put up rather heavenly aerial numbers.

posted by beaverboard at 08:15 AM on December 19

The Boston Celtics have traded Rajon Rondo to Dallas

I really doubt Nelson stays around - he specifically left Orlando to play for a contender. This seems like the kind of situation where he either gets waived or moved again. That said, the way he played in Dallas, I don't see a lot of playoff-worth teams who'll get a big upgrade by dealing assets to get him.

The first-rounder is reported to be heavily protected and very likely to be 2016 or further and there's not much chance of it being mid-round or earlier. So the likely outcome is a development player who's a couple of years from contributing heavily.

Wright's a niche player - Crowder is more or less a straight wing, with little upside at the 2. Powell's a body.

I think the way Rondo had played this year, the haul they got was more or less what they could expect. It doesn't seem like it's the kind of haul you'd get for a guy with the potential for star play that Rondo has, but a bit like Vince Carter leaving Toronto (with the added deflator of a big, recent injury), if the player isn't playing up to their potential and they're pretty publicly looking to get out, it does tie your hands a little bit.

posted by dfleming at 07:26 AM on December 19

The Boston Celtics have traded Rajon Rondo to Dallas

Talking heads in Boston were falling all over themselves talking about how Rondo was not helping the team, was playing badly -- perhaps on purpose -- and it was about time the got rid of him. In the next breath, these same guys were bitching and moaning that the Celtics had not gotten enough for him. Dwight Powell's main function was to remove splinters from the bench using his ass. Why Dallas wanted him is beyond me, but it probably has something to do with cap hits. Jameer Nelson is here to fill in until Marcus Smart is physically ready to play heavy minutes every night. Until then look for Phil Pressey to pick up a lot of minutes. Oddly enough when Pressey was at the point instead of Rondo, the team played faster and better. Pressey's problem is that he is about 5'10" tall.

Brandan Wright might have some use, but he is a bit undersized for a center, and the power forward/center spot in Boston is rather crowded. His contribution remains to be determined. Jae Crowder might be the excuse to move Evan Turnover Turner, but I don't know if Crowder can play the 2-guard spot as well as the small forward. I'll probably go to the game tomorrow night, although I doubt any of the new additions will see any time. It's mostly to get a look at Andrew Wiggin.

Hey, we get a $12.9 Million trade exception, a 1st round pick, and a 2nd rounder for all this. The picks will be well down in the order, barring disaster in Dallas, but with all the picks Ainge has accumulated in the past couple of years, he can probably move some of the down-table stuff for the lottery. As long as the team doesn't try to jump into the same tank as Philadelphia, I'm OK with it.

posted by Howard_T at 01:56 AM on December 19

SportsFilter: The Thursday Huddle

Aaaand it's just gotten out of hand. I guess I won't be talking about this part of the match with my India co-workers tomorrow.

posted by NoMich at 11:02 PM on December 18

SportsFilter: The Thursday Huddle

Ugh. I still get the types of cricket confused. This is test. The innings isn't over until India gets those last two wickets. However, they should get them soon, right? Either way, exciting run by Australia.

posted by NoMich at 10:45 PM on December 18

SportsFilter: The Thursday Huddle

Make that, India needs only two wickets, but Australia only needs 10 runs. This is exciting.

posted by NoMich at 10:38 PM on December 18

SportsFilter: The Thursday Huddle

Make that, India needs only three wickets.

posted by NoMich at 10:32 PM on December 18

SportsFilter: The Thursday Huddle

Make that, Australia needs less than 20 runs.

posted by NoMich at 10:26 PM on December 18

SportsFilter: The Thursday Huddle

I'm trying to go to bed, but this India v Australia test match is at a good place. Australia needs less than 40 runs to end the first innings, but India needs only four wickets to end the first innings. Bonus points for Ishant Sharma looking like a black metal dude while bowling.

posted by NoMich at 10:03 PM on December 18

Can True Sports Fans Switch to a New Favorite Team?

I grew up in New England but I live in Hawaii, so its really not necessary for me to change any team allegiances. There's not a "regional team" in any sport here.

That said, I love the Patriots because my grandfather loved the Patriots and I loved him. I love the Patriots because my dad loves the Jets and I love him.

I think you all can understand.

posted by Joey Michaels at 07:22 PM on December 18

Suggestions for SportsFilter Links

The Classical

Soccer Gods

First Touch: Sorry, it's a plug for my local weekly (free) soccer mag. Mostly recaps, but there are a few well written columns. They once in a while run an interesting series, like the story of the world cup and the greatest players in the world.

posted by goddam at 05:28 PM on December 18

Can True Sports Fans Switch to a New Favorite Team?

I haven't been back to Reno in nearly a decade -- parents moved to Phoenix as soon as I went to college. I've heard good things about the Aces from old classmates, but I barely recognize downtown anymore on Google Street View.

posted by Etrigan at 02:57 PM on December 18

In Reno in the '80s

To completely digress, have you seen Reno lately? With approximately 400,000 people in the Washoe/Storey County areas, there may have been one or two changes. And now the Aces, the local AAA baseball team who play in a gorgeous replica of AT&T Park, are affiliated with the Diamondbacks.

posted by tahoemoj at 02:43 PM on December 18

Panthers Win in NHL Record 20-Round Shootout

I knew something special must have happened, because ESPN gave the NHL 35 seconds of coverage on yesterday morning's SportCenter.

If I recall, it was sandwiched in between 7 minutes relating to what Lebron James had for lunch and 24 minutes of Steven A. Smith and Skip Bayless arguing about whether that lunch was appropriate.

posted by tahoemoj at 02:35 PM on December 18

Can True Sports Fans Switch to a New Favorite Team?

That was a really bad time to switch from the Wings to the Hurricanes.

Tell me about it. Except for a few bright spots, and one blindingly bright spot, it's been a very bad time to switch from the Wings to the Hurricanes. But, there you have it. I love my 'Canes, even right now when I want them to blow the whole thing up and start over somehow.

posted by NoMich at 01:50 PM on December 18

Can True Sports Fans Switch to a New Favorite Team?

I guess I'm not going with the crowd. When I moved to the Bay Area I took on the 49ers and Sharks as my teams and never really gave the Giants or Devils much of a second thought, though I was happy for them when they won Super Bowls and Stanley Cups.

Have always been a Liverpool FC mainliner, courtesy of a college roommate from there. If you put me in isolation and said I could only watch games involving one team I wouldn't hesitate before answering LFC. #ynwa!!

Life is a journey, IMO, and if we're supposed to grow and learn along the way (or vice versa) then I don't see the fan for life thing being important. If TS1 and I do move Down Under (as we keep talking about) then I'm sure I'll adopt the local AFL and A League sides too and I see no problem with that.

posted by billsaysthis at 12:01 PM on December 18

Panthers Win in NHL Record 20-Round Shootout

Okay, so they had to cycle through their roster again. I was stunned for a second that Ovechkin would be that far down the depth chart for shootout.

posted by grum@work at 11:24 AM on December 18

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

I first bumped into Scott McLaughlin in online sim racer iRacing, where he was throwing the older Ford Falcon V8 Supercar about, (stick with it after they cut away from Scott-v-Scott, because it's going back to them a couple times). Turns out he was decent at that too.

Shane Van Gisbergen is another Aussie Kiwi who I first saw on iRacing before he appeared in the real life V8 series.

posted by Mr Bismarck at 10:42 AM on December 18

Can True Sports Fans Switch to a New Favorite Team?

That was a really bad time to switch from the Wings to the Hurricanes.

I also pull for the Patriots in the playoffs, which is the result of a combination of Tom Brady and the Lions never playing past December.

posted by Ying Yang Mafia at 09:10 AM on December 18

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

Although it needs some "fucked it in first and gave her some Jandal!"

That was $%&!-ing awesome. Thanks for the transcription or I would have missed the best part entirely.

posted by yerfatma at 08:33 AM on December 18

Served up on a platter for SportsFilter

Without wanting to stereotype, they're all nerdy programmer/ engineer types working for Local Insurance Conglomerate. And they use a tennis ball. So I'm not sure how that affects things but I do have dreams of one day one-handing a blast beyond the boundary and taking Dover Cricket into the IPL.

posted by yerfatma at 08:30 AM on December 18

Can True Sports Fans Switch to a New Favorite Team?

I'm hoping for a bit of new horizon - they now decide it's OK to reboot the Cuban League, a bit of electronic infrastructure gets run throughout (OK, a lot of infrastructure), and once the games go live online, I'll be forced to choose where to place my loyalty - whether Matanzas or Camaguey.

posted by beaverboard at 08:24 AM on December 18

Served up on a platter for SportsFilter

That is some wonderful writing, owly. Thanks for sharing. My favorite:

Smith and Marsh tuck their bats under their armpits and stride off the ground like they've just been excused from a trigonometry test.

This right here gives cricket the edge over a sport I grew up loving.

posted by NoMich at 08:17 AM on December 18

Can True Sports Fans Switch to a New Favorite Team?

I'm the Cincy kids in that commercial (sort of) -- I was an Army brat who ended up (as a kid) in Reno, Nevada, but my father is a lifelong Bears/Cubs fan. In Reno in the '80s, we got San Francisco teams as the "locals," with a little bit of Padres fandom because the local minor-league team was affiliated with them back then. But after my adult years in the Army again, I ended up in suburban Detroit, so I'm a Lions/Tigers fan now.

My father and I agree that the White Sox and the Packers suck, and not much else.

posted by Etrigan at 07:09 AM on December 18

Can True Sports Fans Switch to a New Favorite Team?

Growing up in the Greater New York Metropolitan Area (specifically Central NJ), my MLB, NHL, NFL fandom was inherited from my parents (Yankees, Rangers, Giants). That's the case with most people I know.

No EPL team, but I do casually follow Sheffield United thanks to my childhood obsession with Def Leppard.

I suppose my Rangers allegiance was tested when the Devils came to town, but I never really thought to jump ship (thank you Ron Duguay).

Re: MLS, my friends that live across the Hudson are in a similar situation. With NYCFC coming in there's the question of jumping ship. All but a few are sticking with RBNY, even those that live in the shadow of Yankee Stadium.

posted by goddam at 01:02 AM on December 18

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

That's the same thing, right?

I'll show myself out.

posted by Mr Bismarck at 11:11 PM on December 17

Served up on a platter for SportsFilter

Which one is more philosophical?

Today's Over by Over of Australia v India and the leisurely pace of a five day Test match allows for the inclusion of references to Dinosaurs Having Sex, Fish Having Sex, indie pop tunes, dating advice and the pitfalls of modern life.

posted by owlhouse at 11:02 PM on December 17

Can True Sports Fans Switch to a New Favorite Team?

My teams? Thought you'd never ask.

EPL: None. Derby County in the Championship - I was born about 5 miles from the old Baseball Ground. Hoping this year we go one better.

AFL: Swans, because I grew up in Sydney, although they didn't move there until I was in my twenties. Before the move, Sydney was a blank slate for the Australian code.

NRL: I used to support Canterbury, as our migrant hostel in Sydney was in their territory. A tenuous connection. Now I support the defunct North Sydney Bears, because we moved to their local area, but more importantly, I hate Rupert Murdoch and Fox Sport.

A- League: Sydney FC. Although had I waited for the second Sydney team, we'd now be Champions of Asia. Can't move me, though.

American Sports: I know you've been waiting for this. Geographically, I should be a Padres and Chargers fan. But from a couple of decades of watching from afar, I think I've ended up with the Lions in the NFL (their jacket is on the back of my chair as I type this), the Giants in MLB (can't explain this unless you figure that Sydney and San Francisco are sister cities). One day I might even get to a game.

posted by owlhouse at 10:56 PM on December 17

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

"Jandal" - dead give away he's actually a Kiwi. It's a "thong" in Australia.

You can look it up. On second thoughts, perhaps not.

posted by owlhouse at 10:43 PM on December 17

NHL: Toronto Maple Leafs
(If there ever was a reason to jump ship from your favourite team, being a Leafs fan over the past 43 years would probably be high up there.)

MLB: Toronto Blue Jays
(Longest active playoff drought in MLB right now. Of course, there was about an 8 year window long ago where being a fan was a good thing.)

NFL: Buffalo Bills
(Longest active playoff drought in the NFL right now. Of course, there was about an 4 year window long ago where being a fan was...tortuous.)

NBA: Toronto Raptors
(This is my weakest "hometown" connection, simply because I'm not a huge NBA fan. But things are looking pretty good this year.)

EPL: I don't have a real connection with a team. When I first started watching, it was all about ManU (Beckham, Nistelrooy) and winning. Then it was about anyone OTHER than ManU, with a leaning towards Chelsea (because someone bought me a jersey), with some love to the long lost Charlton Athletics (went to a game the year after they dropped down to Championship League).

IPL: I have a Chennai SuperKings jersey, so that's my default team.

posted by grum@work at 10:35 PM on December 17

Can True Sports Fans Switch to a New Favorite Team?

Your perception is not reality.

Not counting this season (only one game played), the last time the Montreal Canadiens had better than .500 record against the Toronto Maple Leafs in a season, Pavel Datsyuk was a rookie, and John Vanbiesbrouck played his final game (2001-2002). The Maple Leafs have the upper hand over the Canadiens for the past 13 years.

Toronto is 36W-22L-10OTL-1T vs Montreal over that span.

Also, there hasn't been a single game between the two teams in that time where a Maple Leafs goalie has had to make at least 42 saves (in a win/loss/tie)

posted by grum@work at 10:26 PM on December 17

That's good stuff.

Although it needs some "fucked it in first and gave her some Jandal!"

I'd be quite excited after this finish too.

posted by Mr Bismarck at 09:37 PM on December 17

Can True Sports Fans Switch to a New Favorite Team?

Without local broadcasts on radio or television in your youth, I think you're on safe ground leaving the Wings behind. Fan allegiance shift accepted.

I am having trouble keeping my college sports allegiance to my alma mater, UNT. They're mired in Sun Belt/CUSA obscurity, most seasons are grim and my hope things will ever get better is fading. It also doesn't help that I'm four states away and they almost never schedule OOC games worth getting fired up about.

So I've been watching UF games, thinking I might adopt the Gators at the only point it would be acceptable to me -- when they suck.

I know this is unacceptable now, but it could be forward thinking on my part -- two of my sons are hoping to get in there when they graduate high school in a few years.

posted by rcade at 09:37 PM on December 17

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

If you've got a few minutes to spare, some of the highlights of the sporting year in Australia.

Stick around for the Honey Badger interview at the end. They save the best for last.

posted by owlhouse at 09:05 PM on December 17

Can True Sports Fans Switch to a New Favorite Team?

We need more information to determine if your switch was acceptable.
Did you have local radio broadcasts of the Wings before you got cable TV?
Did you ever make liberal use of the term "we" to describe the successes of the team?

Never any local radio for Wings games up north during my youth. There might be now, but not back then.
I never use the royal "we" for any of my sports team.

For the other Michigan pro sports teams:
- I am a fan of the Panthers, but when they meet up with the Lions, it's the Lions all the way for me.
- I am a fan of the Cubs, but I'm a Tigers fan through and through. Ernie Harwell's voice *is* my childhood.
- The '90s Bulls pretty much killed my interest in the NBA. The only time I care about the NBA now is if the Pistons are relevant.

posted by NoMich at 08:23 PM on December 17

Can True Sports Fans Switch to a New Favorite Team?

I grew up in San Diego, and actually just moved away at the end of this summer. I don't know if I'll ever lose a soft spot for the Chargers or Padres, but the Chargers may certainly test that if they decide to exercise their termination clause and move away some year. The owners are already such punks (although nowhere near Snyder or Sterling) that it's a bit difficult.

Growing up in San Diego, you pretty much learn to hate every team in every sport from LA, so I never got into hockey or pro basketball (the Clippers moved when I was quite young). Now that I'm living in western Wisconsin, there's a growing affinity for the Wild, and they must put some kind of Packer stuff in the water. But, I don't think any football fan from anywhere outside of the NFC North can really hate the Packers. I still don't really feel like following pro basketball, although I check the Cavs box scores every once in a while just to see how Joe Harris is doing.

posted by LionIndex at 08:10 PM on December 17

Served up on a platter for SportsFilter

my one observation while ignoring the dogs is that the fielding is atrocious

If it's anything like park cricket in Australia, the fielding is usually atrocious because you are only able to move slowly and throw with one hand, because you don't want to spill your beer.

posted by owlhouse at 08:07 PM on December 17

Can True Sports Fans Switch to a New Favorite Team?

I've only ever lived in southeastern Michigan, so I'm straight Red Wings/Tigers/Pistons/Lions. Most of this was because of family and friends, but also partly because that's all you could see without cable. But when I first got into football in the early 80s, I quickly realized that if you're a fan of the Lions, you need a backup team...you know, for the playoffs. For the longest time, that was the Niners for me. I also added the Patriots when Brady took over at QB, him being a Michigan man and all. The Niners have fallen off of my radar lately, because I do not like Colin Kaepernick. Any other allegiances have been short stints (Red Sox in 2004, Steelers in 2008). Other than that, I hate every other team equally...except the Maple Leafs. I despise them with the intensity of 1,000 suns...

posted by MeatSaber at 07:59 PM on December 17

Can True Sports Fans Switch to a New Favorite Team?

Grew up in Hartford, so yes.

/lights YukonGold signal, sits quietly, farts out "Brass Bonanza"

posted by yerfatma at 06:51 PM on December 17

Still love this opening from FreeDarko (RIP) on liberated fandom:

I've heard that the worst thing you can do in the wide world of sport fandom is be a fair weather one. Okay, I can get with that. If your point of reference is the tribal sphere, and you dawdle on the margins until there's good reason to perk up, it's not just insincere. It implies that the team owes you something, that your devotion to them depends on their proving themselves devotion-worthy. If you live in a city low itching for chauvinistic rallying points, the machine of pride doesn't operate if some people have the right to stand to judgment. I'm not saying that hometown fans are always unthinking monoliths. But if the team becomes a take-it-or-leave-it proposition, then the circuits of faith are jammed up to their core.

I think it's well-known, though, that FreeDarko could give a fuck less about provincial forms of worship. We exist on a higher, or at least more time-consuming, plane known as "liberated fandom." Put simply, we like the teams that meet our vague and furry criteria, such that our sensibility can find a match worth its while. This is no more shocking than only reading books that get good reviews, or avoiding a shitty bar even though your friend works there. I don't mean to disparage all ye fine people who have home teams, or insist that the two are mutually exclusive. Hell, some of my proudest moments as a watcher of the game have come when I've been able to approximate some sort of Arenas-derived pull for the Wizards. Alas, I am a wanderer by trade and a malcontent by spirit, and thus must make my way without the comfort of community.

posted by tron7 at 06:43 PM on December 17

I'm all over the map.

MLB: I've dabbled with the Twins when I was in school in the Twin Cities and the Rockies now that I live in Denver but I will always be a Brewers fan first and foremost. They were THE team of my childhood and I spent more hours listening to Uecker than I can count.

NFL: Despite living in Wisconsin I got roped in by Elway early and held dual fanship until Super Bowl XXXII when my hand was forced and I became a full fledged Broncos fan. I'm the only non-Packer fan in my entire extended family. I do find myself pulling for the Packers but it's mostly in hoping my dad doesn't have a heart attack.

NBA: I was a fan of KG's Wolves in college, rooted for the Bucks after I was out of school, and root for the Nuggets now that I'm in Denver. Though, with Shaw as coach, my eye has started to wander back to that sexy Bucks squad. I'm not really concerned if I'm seen as a True Sports Fan or not. I get as emotionally invested as anybody. The NBA seems to lend itself most to the idea of liberated fandom.

EPL: Like rcade, I've been following since 2006 but I've yet to acquire any kind of fandom. I've cast my lot in with ManU, Everton, and Arsenal for stints but nothing has stuck.

posted by tron7 at 06:34 PM on December 17

Can True Sports Fans Switch to a New Favorite Team?

I was able to do it with the Carolina Hurricanes: Does that work for you guys? Is that acceptable?

Grew up in Hartford, so yes. I'm not sure if the emotion I felt when the Whale moved to basketball country was sadness and anger at their leaving or relief that I was now free to choose whatever team I wanted to to cheer for--even a winner! (Chose Devils, btw, and have been thrice rewarded)

But team relocation is one of the few acceptable reasons. As far as football and baseball for me, it will always be Cincinnati, my hometown from '79-'94, when my allegiances outside of hockey developed. I left in '94 and have lived on the west coast ever since--NorCal/Reno/Tahoe for 20 years, now Central Coast. I've had plenty of time to adopt the Niners, Raiders, Giants, or A's as my team, and I don't think it would be bandwagoning to do so at this point. But I'm worse than Jake Gyllenhall and Heath Ledger when it comes to quittin' a team I've been cheering for for so long. And if I can survive the Bengals of the 90's, there are few excuses for abandoning your team.

The worst offending bandwagon fans I know are the most prone to that, ironically.

posted by tahoemoj at 05:54 PM on December 17

Can True Sports Fans Switch to a New Favorite Team?

In my youth I was a Leafs fan because there were only 2 Canadian Hockey teams and the Leafs had a monopoly on the English television broadcasts. To watch the Canadiens I either had to watch in French ("Le Buuuuuuuuuuuuuut!!") or wait until the Leafs played the Canadiens, when the Canadiens would beat the Leafs 9 out of every 10 games even if the Leafs goalie stopped 42 shots in each of those games.

After years of watching the Leafs giving away draft choices, trading away talented players, and basically selling out in any way possible for cash I just stopped following them - right around the same time Sittler cut the "C" off of his uniform in disgust. Pretty much lost interest in the NHL in general.

Became a Jets fan early in their WHA days and during Jets NHL version 1 and present. Able to follow the NHL more widely with cable and other options so get a chance to see the best players and teams play as much as I want.

Canadian English broadcast networks still focus 95 percent on the Leafs even with 7 Canadian teams. And the Canadiens still seem to beat the Leafs 9 out of 10 games with the Leafs goalies stopping 42 shots in each of those games.

Some things never change.

Thank god for cable, IPTV, PPV, and True North.

posted by cixelsyd at 05:49 PM on December 17

Served up on a platter for SportsFilter

That's funny. Here in cosmopolitan Dover, New Hampshire there's a constant cricket game going on next to the dog park and my one observation while ignoring the dogs is that the fielding is atrocious. That and the fact there's a giant German Shepard who appears to understand the rules and barks at anyone who runs outside the boundary.

posted by yerfatma at 04:29 PM on December 17

Can True Sports Fans Switch to a New Favorite Team?

The teams I grew up with are still in existence, still contend from time to time, and are still worth watching. There's one I no longer watch nor follow nor favor. I didn't "grow up" with the Patriots, but they came into existence when I was in college, so they sort of grew up with me. The one exception of teams that I grew up with that I favor is the Braves. My dad was an ardent Boston Braves fan, my oldest sister used to take me to games, and I followed the team closely. It took me some time to get used to being a Red Sox fan, and I still followed the Braves during their successful Milwaukee years. I cannot like the Atlanta Braves for a variety of reasons. Let's just say they aren't what they were (nobody is after 62 years) and let it go at that.

for NoMich, I understand being unable to watch a team can have an effect on fandom. I will say that I was a Bruins and Celtics fan long before I ever saw a game on TV or in person. Cable had not been invented and we did not own a TV until I was about 12. There was this thing called a radio, the Red Sox, Braves, Bruins, and Celtics games were always on, and I was a faithful listener. Johnny Most, high above courtside, could paint a picture with words better than anyone else I ever heard do a basketball game. My fandom started with my ears and not my eyes.

posted by Howard_T at 04:06 PM on December 17

Can True Sports Fans Switch to a New Favorite Team?

We need more information to determine if your switch was acceptable.

Did you have local radio broadcasts of the Wings before you got cable TV?

posted by rcade at 04:05 PM on December 17

Served up on a platter for SportsFilter

Played slopitch one year with a cricket player.

I had the same experience when I lived in Egypt. The guy was from Turks and Caicos, had a good arm, used a glove and was sure-handed, mostly played outfield and had range. Batting was quite another story. It took nearly a full season to get him to stand still and not shift his feet around as in cricket. Even then the guy had some power. Once he got the hang of a batting stance and approach, he turned into a pretty good hitter.

posted by Howard_T at 03:48 PM on December 17

I was able to do it with the Carolina Hurricanes:

- My part of the northern lower peninsula of Michigan does not really have a hockey tradition. When I was a wee lad, the only local organized team hockey was played in Traverse City, which is too far away from Crapholeville that is my hometown.
- You had to have cable TV to catch any Red Wings games. When I was a wee lad, not very many people had cable TV.
- No one north of (probably) Lansing gave a rat's ass about the Wings until they became a powerhouse in the '90s.
- There was no rink built in Crapholeville that is my hometown.

Once I got cable TV, I could watch the Wings, but it was only in passing and I couldn't really get into them until I got into college and my Fudgie roommates had to explain the game to me. Once I understood the game, I became a fan of the Wings, but because there wasn't a real tradition there for me there was nothing really concrete about that fandom and that allowed the Hurricanes to take root starting in '97.

Does that work for you guys? Is that acceptable?

posted by NoMich at 03:36 PM on December 17

Served up on a platter for SportsFilter

Played slopitch one year with a cricket player. Guy played 2nd base - without a glove. Caught with both hands and covered more ground than any 2nd baseman I've played with.

posted by cixelsyd at 03:33 PM on December 17

Can True Sports Fans Switch to a New Favorite Team?

If you grow up in a pro sports wasteland as I did in pre-Dolphins south Florida, you are free to place your allegiance wherever you wish, and move on whenever the mood strikes you.

I resented being in an area that got force fed its sportscasts by executive decree on a regional basis in the absence of having teams of its own, so I tend not to like the NY teams or the Braves very much.

I got deeply into the old AFL in the mid to late 60's and still miss that pre-merger era. I was devastated when the Raiders lost to the Packers in SB II and thrilled beyond measure when Stram's Chiefs won SB IV. (Watching SB III was an eerie out of body experience that I still haven't fully processed.)

posted by beaverboard at 03:24 PM on December 17

Served up on a platter for SportsFilter

I wish I understood cricket well enough to have a strong opinion on why it's inferior to baseball.

posted by rcade at 02:37 PM on December 17

Can True Sports Fans Switch to a New Favorite Team?

Growing up in Dallas and living in Jacksonville for 17 years, I adopted the Jaguars but never really let go of the Cowboys. Having split loyalties is difficult when both of them are good, but they've avoided that problem for 14 years.

My other loyalties remain back home with the Rangers, Stars and Mavericks. I was only in Dallas one year while FC Dallas was around, so it will be easy to jump on the Orlando SC bandwagon when that club begins next year.

After becoming a Premiership fan in 2006, I adopted Tottenham, but the constant player and coach upheaval got old fast. I've been watching West Ham and avidly following Sheffield Wednesday after a friend roped me in to their fandom. I think Wednesday's my club for life at this point. I may move to Sheffield.

I hate that Vikings-Eagles-Bengals-Cowboys-Steelers family. Eating Ben Roethlisberger's meat is not sufficient justification for switching team allegiances.

posted by rcade at 02:35 PM on December 17

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

Speaking at the Club World Cup in Marrakech, Morocco, Blatter told The Associated Press he was stunned by Garcia's decision to resign.

"I'm just surprised," Blatter said. "It's all what I can say. Just that."

"I mean, we're paying him, right? He didn't even ask for more. I just can't figure out his problem."

posted by Etrigan at 02:15 PM on December 17

Can True Sports Fans Switch to a New Favorite Team?

I can address this firsthand, as I grew up a Washington Redskins fan but let go of my favoritism early in the Daniel Snyder era.

I've been a not-Redskins fan for nearly 15 years now. I can confirm that letting go of a favorite is doable; I had valid reasons for stopping cheering for them (and this was pre-name-kerfuffles), and they resonated long enough that they stayed factual. If I'm hanging out with Jonathan the Skins fan and they're on TV, I'll take their side for a bit, but I don't really care.

What I haven't been able to do, though, is pick up a new favorite. I'm in New York, so logically, I'd root for the Giants or Jets. But it's hard to become a Giants fan after rooting against them for so long, although I do respect them organizationally. That left the Jets, and, well, it's hard for anyone to be a Jets fan, let alone a grown adult who grew up rooting for an NFC team. So I cheer for the Jets but I don't have any real passion for them.

Like grum says, I have a passel of team preferences (the Steelers first and foremost) but no new favorite. My young children even parrot me on Sunday afternoons and say, "I'm just rooting for a good game."

posted by werty at 02:09 PM on December 17

Served up on a platter for SportsFilter

Rounders

posted by grum@work at 01:52 PM on December 17

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

That World Cup ethics investigation ended just like you thought it would.

posted by yerfatma at 12:50 PM on December 17

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

As I someone note elsewhere, at least there was one person in a Cleveland jersey attempting to play defense.

posted by Ufez Jones at 11:39 AM on December 17

Can True Sports Fans Switch to a New Favorite Team?

Unless they do something so reprehensible* that you can't stomach to even look at them, I don't see how you can have a "new favourite team". You might add teams to your "cheering" list (because you've moved), but when push comes to shove you'll probably go with the team that you grew up cheering for.

* Examples:
Edmonton Oilers
Baltimore Colts
Wimbledon F.C.
Oakland Raiders
New York Giants
Brooklyn Dodgers
etc.

posted by grum@work at 10:55 AM on December 17

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

Heck no, let the foolhardy take their chances. (Pretty good facemask infraction there. )

The Bengals also need to show more ability when they try to hand a game ball to a fan in an opponent's stadium

I'd let the player jump up, then hold onto him and not let him jump back down. See how long you can keep him there. Not beat on him, just restrain him - cheerfully, without malice. If stadium security had to go rescue a player from fan clutches, his teammates would never let him hear the end of it.

I'm waiting for Kaepernick to jump into the Black Hole.

posted by beaverboard at 10:40 AM on December 17

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

Should there be a penalty to stop visiting players from jumping into a crowd?

Only if there is a penalty for home team players for jumping into a crowd of their fans.

If visiting fans have purchased a block of tickets in the front row of the stadium, I don't see why the visiting players can't Lambeau-leap into them.

posted by grum@work at 10:32 AM on December 17

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

I love the Browns fan pushing the Bengal to stop his end zone leap in Cleveland. The stadium roared when they saw it on replay.

Should there be a penalty to stop visiting players from jumping into a crowd?

posted by rcade at 10:00 AM on December 17

The FSU Problem

I share some of the disdain for FSU's relative priorities, but it is a pretty good university for all that.

The irony is that its highest-ranked program on the U.S. News & World Report lists is criminology.

posted by Etrigan at 10:45 PM on December 16

The FSU Problem

This is an absurd characterization of the entire university. Yes, the football program and athletics have major problems, but that has no bearing on the academics. FSU has many good programs, there's fierce competition to get in and the SAT and GPA requirements are among the highest of this state's schools.

If you're going to condemn Florida schools for laxity in how athletic crimes are punished, you'd have to include UF too. They've had some doozies, particularly under Urban Meyer when the team was winning championships. Aaron Hernandez was one of them -- he didn't go to Miami.

My favorite UF criminals were the hoops players who broke into a car here in St. Augustine and upon being arrested talked for a half hour about what lie they were going to tell. They didn't know cop cars have cameras.

posted by rcade at 09:26 PM on December 16

The FSU Problem

I have a Gator or two in my family - they've been snickering about the Criminoles for years - then you go look at the Gainesville precinct books from the Urban Meyer era.

Like that Iago dude said:

Virtue! a fig! 'tis in ourselves that we are thus or thus.

And there must be at least a score of other topically appropriate utterances where that came from.

I am that merry wanderer of the night...

posted by beaverboard at 09:22 PM on December 16

The FSU Problem

I have long looked at those universities who seem to place athletic success above all other things at the school with a highly negative bias. As time passed and I came to meet people who had actually gone to these places, I found that some of them really did provide a quality education. Auburn and Virginia Tech have programs in aerospace engineering that are among the best in the country. I've worked with graduates of those schools who impressed me greatly with their knowledge and ability. My son is a Penn State grad. Before you start up about Sandusky and the rest, I get it. What the administration did to try to protect the school was bad, but also understand that there was more to this than just a football program. Before he made his choice, we looked deeply into academics and programs. (He also looked deeply into the selection of bars, but that's another story.) Once you look at academic programs among the Big Ten schools, you will find that all of them are excellent. The athletes who attend are encouraged to do well in their studies. I am not familiar with the schools of the southwest and far west, but admittedly some seem to place the team ahead of the school.

Now I look at Florida State. If I had a college-age kid, I would be ashamed to send him there. There seems to be no pretense on the part of the school to be anything except a football team, and to make it a winning team, anything is acceptable. I will not proclaim Jameis Winston guilty of anything until a jury convicts him, but I will condemn the State of Florida and the university for being less than meticulous in its initial investigation of the rape claims. I find the Florida State situation frighteningly similar to that at the University of Miami a few years ago. While the majority of Miami football alumni have gone on to good careers in football and outside the game and have become leaders in their community, there is one glaring example now spending his time in a Massachusetts jail awaiting a murder trial. One aside here, I do not include the University of Florida in my condemnation of Florida schools. My brother-in-law (wife's sister's husband) is a Gator through and through. He has done pretty well for himself, is a joy to know, and is a fine person. I would prefer to think he's typical of Florida grads.

The question is why things like the Winston situation happen. When a kid shows a high level of skill in a sport, he seems to become "the golden child". That is, because he is so good at what he does, he is in a privileged place among his peers. (Another aside, when I was in high school, our assistant principal had 2 favorites who could get away with anything. Athletes and good math students were on a pedestal. I was not an athlete, but I still got away with mayhem.) If you take a kid without a solid background in responsible behavior and put him in the sort of situation that a heavily recruited high school athlete encounters, you are likely to have created a ticking time bomb. These kids understand they are being judged by a different standard, and some of them are willing to push it too far. Do I have any suggestion about how to fix this? Without a total overhaul of contemporary American society, I do not. It is a sad situation. Sports fans who are as deep into sports as we SpoFites can only stand and ineffecively cluck our tongues.

posted by Howard_T at 04:45 PM on December 16

Welcome to Middle Infielder Island

I won a bunch of defensive player awards up to college as a second baseman and I attributed it to the field right around the corner from us (we grew up in the hood) being a horrific mix of gravel, rocks and very little upkeep. My dad/friends would go with me to hit an hour a day's worth of unpredictable ground balls and one-hops.

There were a number of bloody noses from balls that bounced the wrong way, but come game time it made the traditional fields seem like carpet.

posted by dfleming at 01:53 PM on December 16

The FSU Problem

We've recently taught my daughter the concept of "Cheers!" (along with "sálinte", "salud", "sköl", etc). It turns out this would have been better after her fine motor control showed up.

posted by yerfatma at 01:45 PM on December 16

The FSU Problem

Damn. I thought I was getting better at Irish metaphors through research at Irish pubs. I thought I had turned a corner when I figured out "sláinte."

posted by rcade at 01:09 PM on December 16

The FSU Problem

Ha'penny place. Guess you won't want to attend the next Spofi book club meeting on Ulysses then.

posted by yerfatma at 11:34 AM on December 16

Welcome to Middle Infielder Island

This reminds me of the town of San Pedro de Macoris, in the Dominican Republic.

It has about 190,000 people in it, but it's been the home of an unusually large number of successful MLB players.

posted by grum@work at 11:25 AM on December 16

SportsFilter: The Monday Huddle

Foster's only missed three games this season. It seems like most running backs in the league miss that many every year. I'd put him among the elite.

posted by rcade at 10:21 AM on December 16

The FSU Problem

Another Pierce gem, even if I didn't get all the metaphors. Ha'penny place?

Early in his college career, Winston was touted on Jacksonville sports radio for how composed, mature and well-spoken he was despite his youth. I didn't follow him closely at the time, so I made a mental note to look for opportunities to see this. It was days before the rape allegation.

If the Jaguars had not taken Blake Bortles with the third overall pick this year, they'd surely be looking at Winston next time around.

posted by rcade at 10:18 AM on December 16

The FSU Problem

I know it's a good Charlie Pierce piece when I can't pick my favorite pull quote.

"Elsewhere in Florida," hell. This stuff didn't fly in Tombstone. They should change the name of Doak Campbell Stadium to the Tostitos O.K. Corral. The Times is careful to note, of course, that not every player on the team gets in on what apparently is the Your-First-Felony-Free program run by the local police. At least nine players have been arrested over the last three years, on charges ranging from sexual assault to being an accessory to a fatal shooting. A town's got to have standards, after all. No being involved with killing dudes, unless you're a starter, which is a mitigating factor, locally.

posted by yerfatma at 08:56 AM on December 16

SportsFilter: The Tuesday Huddle

Andrew Luck compliments defensive players after a hard hit, which is getting into their heads.

posted by rcade at 08:25 AM on December 16

SportsFilter: The Monday Huddle

The current MVP odds according to those invest in their beliefs.

Sure, but the last defensive player being named MVP was in 1986 and 6 of the last 7 were quarterbacks. It's the money decision to bet on the best QB available based on who typically gets voted. There are a lot of people who question whether or not a defensive player can even get fair consideration from many voters.

Arian's missed 11 of the team's last 30 games - which is to say he's an elite RB 2/3 of the time. Eddie Lacy is a 24-year-old tier 2 back with 1,300 all-purpose yards and 12 TDs, which puts him near the top of the second tier, if not in the top tier.

At this point in their careers, would you take Hopkins/Johnson over Nelson/Cobb? Even with Johnson having more in the tank than he's showing, I just don't see the gap between the two pairings being that great. They're both elite pairings in the NFL.

posted by dfleming at 07:06 AM on December 16

SportsFilter: The Monday Huddle

Rodgers has more talent and health on both sides of the field in GB than he would have in Texas without Watt.

DeAndre Hopkins is quickly becoming one of the best receivers in the league. Arian Foster is a top tier running back. I have a feeling Andre Johnson still has more in the tank than his quarterbacks were getting out of him.

posted by Ying Yang Mafia at 05:04 PM on December 15

SportsFilter: The Monday Huddle

I'd question that. Green Bay has a below average defense that is workable because Rodgers presence forces teams to play differently to keep pace. Houston has a really good defense because of Watt but they also have an offense that rates above average. Coaching is certainly on the Packers side.

The current MVP odds according to those invest in their beliefs.

posted by cixelsyd at 03:28 PM on December 15

SportsFilter: The Monday Huddle

A leaky zamboni sent 81 players and fans who were at a Wisconsin hockey game to the hospital with carbon monoxide poisoning.

posted by rcade at 03:22 PM on December 15

SportsFilter: The Monday Huddle

If the Texans had Aaron Rodgers they would on their way to a division title.

That is crazy talk. The point differential on his own scores, scores called back due to people holding him(another last night against Indy) and the amount of energy teams spend on offence just trying to deal with him is the reason they are winning games at all.

posted by dfleming at 03:09 PM on December 15

SportsFilter: The Monday Huddle

Exciting signing for the Devils.

posted by Mr Bismarck at 03:04 PM on December 15

SportsFilter: The Monday Huddle

A school holiday event is the only thing keeping me from that epic tilt at EverBank.

That's a shame. If you went in a white jersey you'd probably get to play.

posted by Mr Bismarck at 02:56 PM on December 15

SportsFilter: The Sunday Huddle

Deadspin has a good post on the mumps reappearance. And here I was feeling smart because I had an MMR booster at age 18.

posted by yerfatma at 02:44 PM on December 15

SportsFilter: The Monday Huddle

I hated how the Stabler Rule impacted the Green Bay/Buffalo ending. Aaron Rodgers was stripped of the ball and it fell backwards into his own end zone. Eddie Lacy picked it up and had a decent chance to run it out and thus avoid a safety, but the play was whistled dead the second he touched it. No one would have intentionally fumbled in Rodgers' situation or place on the field.

posted by rcade at 01:30 PM on December 15

Zemgus Girgensons Leads NHL All-Star Voting

Hey now, crowd of people - the day too late for Mr. Graeme Townshend, pride of Kingston, so big up the island chest and vote in a mighty swarm for the next mon up, seen?

posted by beaverboard at 12:54 PM on December 15

SportsFilter: The Monday Huddle

So the Jacksonville Jaguars are favoured for an actual NFL football game.

It only took a matchup at home against the Titans' third string QB, playing behind two third stringers and a street free agent on the Offensive Line.

Considering how sloppy the short week fixtures can be, this is going to be the best Thursday Night game ever.

posted by Mr Bismarck at 12:14 PM on December 15