Recent Comments

Tampa Bay by 11 (lock)

Washington by 10 (lock)

Carolina by 1

Indianapolis by 3

posted by Goyoucolts at 01:02 PM on December 04

Friday Night Lights Out

Interesting story. I think the days of public high school football are probably numbered, but not through the democratic process. Insurers and lawsuits will do it in.

My oldest son is in college now. He's 6-foot-5 and I knew he was tall for his class, but not how tall until high school graduation. He towered over most classmates as they lined up to receive diplomas.

Walking to the car afterwards, I asked him, "How many times did a coach ask you to play football during high school?" He answered, "About 100."

None of my sons wants anything to do with the sport. They all think it damages brains.

posted by rcade at 09:47 AM on December 04

NFL Pick 'Em Week 13: No Tie for Gary Kubiak Edition

Dallas by 13 (posted earlier)

Jacksonville by 3

Detroit by 2

Green Bay by 7

Kansas City by 3

New England by 23 LOCK

Baltimore by 3

Cincinnati by 4

Chicago by 5

Oakland by 6 LOCK

Pittsburgh by 10

San Diego by 10 LOCK

Arizona by 6

Seattle by 7

Indianapolis by 3

I really wanted to use a lot of locks but this just isn't the week, I've flipped on about 5 different games.

posted by jagsnumberone at 04:07 AM on December 04

SportsFilter: The Saturday Huddle

My Dad's family are from Preston.

I understand this perfectly.

posted by owlhouse at 11:11 PM on December 03

San Diego by 14 LOCK

Arizona by 3

Seattle by 14 LOCK

New York Jets by 3

posted by rumple at 09:56 PM on December 03

SportsFilter: The Saturday Huddle

The idea that Steve Alford would ever make UCLA basketball exciting and relevant (couldn't bring myself to say "great again") once seemed as far fetched as Michael Moore's 2016 electoral prediction. I think I need to create a custom keystroke command for the phrase "Holy Shit". It sure would save a lot of typing.

(On the other hand, if I wanted to be a bit more efficient and, shall we say, "contemporary", Ctrl + % is only one keystroke less than WTF)

posted by beaverboard at 06:04 PM on December 03

All-Star Game No Longer Decides World Series Home Field

I didn't know we had a Chili Bordello either.

You might have to search the newspaper morgues to find anything about it. Don't forget, this was 30 years ago. I do remember they had to fire one of the waitresses; she was 15-years-old and serving alcohol. It was that kind of place.

posted by Howard_T at 04:26 PM on December 03

Friday Night Lights Out

Brain imaging exams performed on high school football players after just one season revealed changes in both the gray and white matter that correlated with exposure to head impacts, according to a new study that will be presented today at the annual meeting of the Radiological Society of North America (RSNA).

posted by rumple at 12:26 PM on December 03

SportsFilter: The Saturday Huddle

During today's Sheffield Wednesday match against Preston North End, PNE strikers Eoin Doyle and Jermaine Beckford were both sent off for throwing punches -- at each other!

posted by rcade at 12:04 PM on December 03

Friday Night Lights Out

Thanks for posting. Good thing for me I started in on this without knowing its length. Not done yet, but not giving up till I get there.

posted by beaverboard at 11:34 AM on December 03

San Diego by 7
Washington by 6
LOCK Seattle by 13
Indianapolis by 7

posted by bender at 09:59 PM on December 02

SportsFilter: The Friday Huddle

Aaand no parking near Ford Field. So we're all watching it on The Deuce.

posted by Etrigan at 08:05 PM on December 02

Nico Rosberg goes out on top

He's achieved his life's ambition.

Beating Lewis Hamilton.

posted by owlhouse at 07:38 PM on December 02

SportsFilter: The Friday Huddle

Dammit, babysitter flaked. Spouse grew up in Kalamazoo, so I get to stay home with the toddler.

posted by Etrigan at 06:50 PM on December 02

SportsFilter: The Friday Huddle

That's 'cause Central Michigan isn't playing. You let the Chips play and BAM! it's Fire Up Chips time.

posted by NoMich at 02:38 PM on December 02

SportsFilter: The Friday Huddle

Looks like they're having trouble selling out the MAC title game tonight -- my spouse just got four tickets for free at work.

posted by Etrigan at 02:36 PM on December 02

The Hot Seat is just lukewarm now

I wish Brian Kelley would pursue one of those made-up "other offers" he's mentioned so I could go back to watching Notre Dame.

posted by yerfatma at 01:35 PM on December 02

Rudy, Interrupted: South Carolina State's 55 Year-Old Back

Don't see why not.

posted by yerfatma at 01:34 PM on December 02

SportsFilter: The Friday Huddle

It's amazing how much luck the Cowboys have and the Jaguars lack. Watching Jacksonville, I can always count on at least one astonishingly bad officiating call that hurts them in a significant way. That's not why they lose, but it doesn't help a flailing franchise when the bad calls aren't evening out.

Last night Dallas gets three lucky breaks with officiating: Elliot's reversed fumble, Minnesota's punt return fumble and the non-call on the Bradford head slap on the game's final play.

I don't think the Jags have had a single game where things broke that well. They had a touchdown run where the ball broke the goal line called a fumble into the end zone. I think three touchdowns have been lost on review so far in 2016.

posted by rcade at 12:52 PM on December 02

Nico Rosberg goes out on top

Going out on top is very nice but at 31 seems like he's leaving a few years of potential additional titles on the floor.

posted by billsaysthis at 11:42 AM on December 02

All-Star Game No Longer Decides World Series Home Field

It sounds like you had more fun in Jacksonville in 6 months than I've managed in 19 years.

I didn't know we had a Chili Bordello either.

posted by rcade at 11:23 AM on December 02

CFL Playoff Pick 'Em, Final Standings

Awesome finish bender. Thanks Dr.J - always fun.

posted by cixelsyd at 12:52 AM on December 02

NBA Pick 'Em Week 6: Doc Rivers Will Smash Edition

Just checked the scores. WTF?

Here are the rest of my picks:

Cleveland by 6
Houston by 8

posted by Howard_T at 11:07 PM on December 01

NFL Pick 'Em Week 13: No Tie for Gary Kubiak Edition

As I watch the 4th quarter of Dallas vs Minnesota, here come the rest of the picks.

Dallas by 17 LOCK as above.
Chicago by 6
New York (National Conference) by 3
Arizona by 10
Seattle by 6
Indianapolis by 17 LOCK

posted by Howard_T at 11:03 PM on December 01

All-Star Game No Longer Decides World Series Home Field

The beautiful people hated Jacksonville's Super Bowl.

I lived in Jacksonville for about 6 months in 1986. I remember it as a great place to get oneself into trouble. Every few weeks my running mate and I had to drive from Cecil Field (extreme western edge of the city) to Mayport (on the ocean) to do some work aboard whatever aircraft carrier was in port. The drive took exactly 2 beers each from Cecil Field to Mayport, which left us with one more beer each to finish on our way to lunch. Lunch was a pitcher at Joanne's Chili Bordello (good looking waitresses in bustiers), and then it was time to hit the strip club. Please note this was in my "younger, drunker, stupider" days, and I was in between wives.

I have no idea why the "beautiful people" could hate a city with entertainment options like this.

posted by Howard_T at 10:55 PM on December 01

CFL Playoff Pick 'Em, Final Standings

Congratulations, bender, that was quite a finishing kick you put on. Many thanks to Dr. J for running this show each year. It's always fun.

posted by Howard_T at 10:43 PM on December 01

CFL Playoff Pick 'Em, Final Standings

Congrats bender, and thank you to Dr. J !!

posted by tommytrump at 09:43 PM on December 01

CFL Playoff Pick 'Em, Final Standings

Congratulations bender and thanks DrJohnEvans for running the show.

posted by ic23b at 09:14 PM on December 01

All-Star Game No Longer Decides World Series Home Field

We'll have to get rcade a plate of Daytona Beach Wings from the Hooters menu as a consolation prize.

Will that be for here or to go?

Meanwhile, we've got to see if we can get him into one of the upcoming sessions of Jim Harbaugh's Bitter Man Sports Seminars. He is the current king of bitter. Nobody does it better.

posted by beaverboard at 08:42 PM on December 01

CFL Playoff Pick 'Em, Final Standings

Can I propose that we establish the double of winning the regular season Costanza and the playoff championship as a "bender"? The coin taketh away, and the coin giveth!

posted by bender at 08:30 PM on December 01

Cowboys by 22. (lock)

posted by Goyoucolts at 08:28 PM on December 01

CFL Playoff Pick 'Em, Final Standings

What a glorious mess of a game. 72 points, 852 passing yards, seven turnovers, four and a half quarters. Severe underdog Ottawa scores first, class-of-the-league Calgary matches, but Ottawa responds to slowly carve out a nice lead. They hang onto it until the last minute of the game, when a Calgary field goal ties everything up, setting up Burris v. Mitchell in overtime. Burris scores and the Ottawa D blanks Mitchell, sending Ottawa to their first Grey Cup victory of the modern era.

CGY @ OTTMVP BonusO/U Bonus
ResultOttawa by 6BurrisOver
Margin of Error4 to 8

How about this? bender picks the underdog and roars by everybody with four points to grab the championship. Congrats bender!

And congrats as well to cixelsyd who averaged just 1.33333333 points per week. Tough to beat!

SpoFiteCGY @ OTTSMVPO/UPointsTotal Points
benderOttawa8BurrisOver411
argoal 08
Howard_T 08
JPR Over17
tommytrumpOttawa BurrisOver37
ic23b 07
rcade 07
DrJohnEvansOttawa Burris 27
jagsnumberone Over16
Reever Over16
MrFrisby 05
cixelsyd 14

Thanks again to everyone for playing. See y'all in June!

posted by DrJohnEvans at 07:11 PM on December 01

All-Star Game No Longer Decides World Series Home Field

She also called me from the Playboy Super Bowl party.

wifecade: "Did you know that the Bunnies really DO walk around topless all the time?"

rcade: "...."

wifecade: "Big ol' boobies, as far as the eye can see."

rcade: "....any chance you can take some p"

wifecade: "No."

posted by grum@work at 07:00 PM on December 01

All-Star Game No Longer Decides World Series Home Field

When the Super Bowl came to Jacksonville, I was working at home and taking care of my sons while my wife worked as a local reporter.

My wife hates sports more than I love them.

She was assigned to cover the game.

So there I was at home, bitter I couldn't be at any Super Bowl-related festivities, and the phone rang. My wife had a question: "I just talked to someone named Steve Young. Is he important?" (He was announced as a Hall of Fame inductee earlier that same day, so, yeah -- kind of a big deal.)

She later got to ask Bill Belichick questions on media day. He was nice. I think he liked that none of her questions were sports-related -- she was covering the business of the game.

She also called me from the Playboy Super Bowl party.

Still bitter.

posted by rcade at 06:45 PM on December 01

For tonight. More later.

Dallas by 17. LOCK

posted by Howard_T at 06:42 PM on December 01

NBA Pick 'Em Week 6: Doc Rivers Will Smash Edition

Tonight's picks first. The rest later.

Cleveland by 12 SLAM
Golden State by 10

posted by Howard_T at 06:38 PM on December 01

All-Star Game No Longer Decides World Series Home Field

Maybe someday an NFL team will win a title in its own stadium. The closest a team has come that I can think of is the Raiders and Niners winning games at either the Rose Bowl or the Stanford stadium. Not too much geographic distance there.

Sorry to hear about the hate for the Jax-hosted Super Bowl. Those not in attendance missed the Belichick-Crennel-Weis group hug and maypole dance when the outcome was assured. The absolute highlight of the careers of the latter two.

posted by beaverboard at 05:40 PM on December 01

All-Star Game No Longer Decides World Series Home Field

Broncos fans would just love that.

Does the NFL plan to start worrying about what fans want concerning the Super Bowl?

posted by MeatSaber at 04:30 PM on December 01

Tampa Bay by 10
Arizona by 3
Seattle by 7 <-- lock
Indianapolis by 3

posted by rcade at 04:12 PM on December 01

All-Star Game No Longer Decides World Series Home Field

... I don't see why it isn't acceptable to simply rotate the Super Bowl through all of the league's stadia.

The beautiful people hated Jacksonville's Super Bowl. They either stayed away or complained about the city's accommodation and parties. We still have an inferiority complex about it.

posted by rcade at 04:02 PM on December 01

All-Star Game No Longer Decides World Series Home Field

Broncos fans would just love that.

Probably not any more or less than the Texans fans actually will when it's played in Houston this February.

posted by Ufez Jones at 03:51 PM on December 01

All-Star Game No Longer Decides World Series Home Field

So the most likely matchups this year would be the Pats or Raiders playing the Cowboys or Seahawks at Mile High?

Broncos fans would just love that.

posted by deflated at 03:06 PM on December 01

The Hot Seat is just lukewarm now

There is absurd speculation in central FL that Willie Taggart (USF coach, 10-2 this season) is being looked at for the Oregon HC position. Seems little more than idle speculation by sports radio hosts to get callers on the phone to talk about how absurd that HC move would be.

In other FL NCAA coaching rumors, I can't express how glad I am that Jimbo Fisher is sticking around at FSU. Here's hoping that Fisher sticks around as long as Bobby Bowden did.

posted by FLsportsman at 02:58 PM on December 01

All-Star Game No Longer Decides World Series Home Field

(I also think the Super Bowl should be played in the previous year's winner's home stadium. Imagine a Lambeau Field Super Bowl.)

I wouldn't go so far as to give it to last year's winner, but I don't see why it isn't acceptable to simply rotate the Super Bowl through all of the league's stadia.

To the topic of this post, quite simply, it's long overdue. There's really no explanation why it took so long to get here, but good news. I'm also amused by the part of this piece that references the other tweaks to the All Star Game to help prevent ties, as if it really should matter if the ASG ends in a tie.

posted by bender at 02:04 PM on December 01

San Diego by 13

Washington by 3

Carolina by 7

Indy by 3

posted by tahoemoj at 01:29 PM on December 01

All-Star Game No Longer Decides World Series Home Field

(Players on the winning team will be rewarded with cash bonuses, which will be, for the vast majority of them, a much bigger incentive than home-field advantage for their league's eventual champion ever was.)
I have to admit, that's probably better for everyone.

But how about this crazy idea: Game 7 is at the stadium of the team that won the last World Series. Not of the two teams who are in the World Series, mind you -- if the Red Sox and the Dodgers are in WS2017 and take it to seven, then it's played at Wrigley Field.

posted by Etrigan at 01:12 PM on December 01

NFL Pick 'Em Week 13: No Tie for Gary Kubiak Edition

The 62-yard field goal is five longer than McManus has ever made in his NFL career. The difference between a tie and a loss is a playoff spot (as of today). I could see the same scenario happening at season's end.

posted by rcade at 11:59 AM on December 01

The Hot Seat is just lukewarm now

I'm still not sold on Helton. He's supposed to be smart enough to see that Darnold was better than Browne before the season. If Helton had been that smart, there's a good chance that USC would be in the Pac-12 title game this weekend and have a legit shot at the playoff.

posted by Etrigan at 11:49 AM on December 01

Week 13: No Tie for Gary Kubiak Edition

This Bronco fan was 100% behind the decision to try that field goal. If the Broncos had punted into a tie it would feel no better than a loss and it would have been amazing if McManus had actually made that kick, which I think he's very capable of making.

posted by tron7 at 11:33 AM on December 01

San Diego by 7
Washington by 6
Seattle by 8 - LOCK
New York Jets by 6

posted by tron7 at 10:41 AM on December 01

The Hot Seat is just lukewarm now

After many early season calls for his head (example), Clay Helton has turned his critics around and put any uncertainty on the shelf (for now at least).

posted by billsaysthis at 10:22 AM on December 01

San Diego by 6
Washington by 7
Seattle by 6
Indianapolis by 3

posted by holden at 10:58 PM on November 30

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

Andrew Shaw seems upset.....

posted by tommytrump at 10:16 PM on November 30

NFL Pick 'Em Week 13: No Tie for Gary Kubiak Edition

Picking all those locks and only blowing up on Seattle is impressive, Grum.

Of course, that game was the one I second-most confident about, too (behind NE).
I STILL have to go hog-wild to make up ground...

all bold are locks

Seattle by 9

Indianapolis by 10

posted by grum@work at 09:51 PM on November 30

NBA Pick 'Em Week 6: Doc Rivers Will Smash Edition

Clippers by 1

Houston by 5

Cleveland by 11 (slam dunk)

Houston by 8 (slam dunk)

posted by Goyoucolts at 09:48 PM on November 30

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

Who would have thunk that the best Montreal/Toronto rivalry in sports would be in soccer?

That...was a hell of a game.

posted by grum@work at 09:46 PM on November 30

Washington by 6
Seattle by 10
Indianapolis by 7

Bye Week over Cleveland by 7 lock

posted by MeatSaber at 09:35 PM on November 30

NFL Pick 'Em Week 13: No Tie for Gary Kubiak Edition

Picking all those locks and only blowing up on Seattle is impressive, Grum.

posted by rcade at 08:28 PM on November 30

Rudy, Interrupted: South Carolina State's 55 Year-Old Back

So if a 55 year old Australian with no US college sports experience came over to America to do his PhD...

posted by owlhouse at 08:07 PM on November 30

The Hot Seat is just lukewarm now

I haven't followed the Chip Kelly saga, but is he going to be stubborn and dig in at SF or return to college ball. Where everybody but him thinks he belongs.

Is Bill O'Brien going to tire of trying to make the Texans competitive with Osweiler and his crazy contract and also go back to college. I still think what O'Brien did at PSU was remarkable.

Somebody has to make SMU relevant because they just have one of the best team logos in the land. The Denver Bronco hood ornament/bottle opener logo is lame by comparison.

posted by beaverboard at 04:53 PM on November 30

posted by Ufez Jones at 03:25 PM on November 30

NBA Pick 'Em Week 6: Doc Rivers Will Smash Edition

Cleveland by 7
Golden State by 16 - SLAM
Chicago by 6
Denver by 7

The Nuggets on National TV?! Also, what's with having teams on the second night of a back to back (Houston and Chicago) be nationally televised? Seems like a horrible idea.

posted by tron7 at 02:58 PM on November 30

SLAM Cleveland by 9 SLAM
SLAM Golden State by 10 SLAM
Cleveland by 5
Denver by 4

posted by bender at 01:09 PM on November 30

How the Chicago Bears became NFL's most untroubled losers

I enjoyed watching the Dolphins beat the 85 Bears on a Monday night to keep them (Bears) from going unbeaten. Incredible intensity in that game, and Miami put the deer-in-the-headlights look into the eyes of QB Steve Fuller who was subbing for the injured McMahon.

In hindsight, now I wish that Chicago had won that game and run the table. Because even though I was growing up as a sports crazed youth in south Florida in the early 70's, the legacy theme I'm REALLY tired of is about the unbeaten Dolphins squad. I'd like to see another team go unbeaten so we can put that whole thing to rest and move on. Maybe Russia can find a way to prove the pundits wrong and make it happen for Cleveland or Detroit.

posted by beaverboard at 08:20 AM on November 30

Brazilian Soccer Team Lost in Plane Crash

posted by bender at 10:53 PM on November 29

Brazilian Soccer Team Lost in Plane Crash

posted by owlhouse at 06:39 PM on November 29

Brazilian Soccer Team Lost in Plane Crash

This afternoon Fox News had some coverage of the accident. Their South American sports affiliate had some people travelling aboard the flight to cover the team. Fox showed some video taken just before takeoff that shows the team members. Seeing their excitement and joy at being involved in a championship game is heart wrenching.

Fox also reported that the Medellin, Colombia, team has asked that the championship be awarded to Chapocoense.

The aircraft involved was a BAE-146 short-range regional jet. It is also known as the Avro RJ-85. The type was first placed in service in 1983, which makes it nearly geriatric in terms of commercial aviation. The type did have a good safety record. Fox says that the flight crew reported "an electrical problem" prior to the crash. There have also been reports of insufficient fuel on board.

Nothing more needs to be said other than

posted by Howard_T at 03:31 PM on November 29

How the Chicago Bears became NFL's most untroubled losers

That 1985 Bears team was a decade of awesome in a one-year bag. I still remember the way they crushed the Cowboys 44-0. Dallas was good enough that year to finish 10-6.

posted by rcade at 02:54 PM on November 29

SportsFilter: The Tuesday Huddle

What the camera doesn't show is the Jets would-be tacklers doubling over with laughter at Brady trying to emulate a pulling guard. They didn't have the energy to hit him.

posted by Howard_T at 02:16 PM on November 29

How the Chicago Bears became NFL's most untroubled losers

It's always bothered me that Bears fans hang their hat entirely on the '85 season of glory and make it seem as though that one year was a vast golden legacy period that lasted a decade or more.

If I was a Chicagoan and had any pride, I'd never mention Ditka. Over the years, he's continued to venture further down into his own dimly lit quarry pit, step by precarious step.

posted by beaverboard at 12:50 PM on November 29

Brazilian Soccer Team Lost in Plane Crash

posted by tommytrump at 12:17 PM on November 29

How the Chicago Bears became NFL's most untroubled losers

It's always been weird to me how Chicago, which is the most top-to-bottom, day-in-and-day-out sports-crazy city I've ever seen, treats its teams like a first-grader. Sure, it would be great if he was at the top of his class, but really, as long as he doesn't bite anyone on the playground so often he gets expelled, then things are fine.

posted by Etrigan at 12:00 PM on November 29

SportsFilter: The Tuesday Huddle

About Tom Brady's blocking technique . . .

posted by yerfatma at 11:56 AM on November 29

Brazilian Soccer Team Lost in Plane Crash

posted by billsaysthis at 10:42 AM on November 29

Brazilian Soccer Team Lost in Plane Crash

The Guardian is blogging the latest details. Two other players, Jakson Follman and Zampier Neto, also survived.

posted by rcade at 10:34 AM on November 29

SportsFilter: The Monday Huddle

After virtually fellating Lewis Hamilton for most of his F1 career, has the British media finally woken up to the fact that he's basically a wanker?

posted by owlhouse at 02:22 AM on November 29

SportsFilter: The Sunday Huddle

Favourite play of the day.

Yeah, that's gonna get "clarified" real soon.

posted by Etrigan at 01:51 PM on November 28

SportsFilter: The Sunday Huddle

As is usually the case, the most entertaining football game of the night was actually the Grey Cup. The goal line stance by Ottawa in the last minute to force overtime was nail biting.

posted by grum@work at 06:55 AM on November 28

SportsFilter: The Sunday Huddle

owlie - is that: (1) a reference to the red card/touchline ban, (2) a statement of desire/aspiration, or (3) an inside-info statement about the firing of Mourinho (as I've not seen anything in the press to suggest he's been sacked)?

Just getting in first.

posted by owlhouse at 02:49 AM on November 28

SportsFilter: The Sunday Huddle

Favourite play of the day.

posted by Mr Bismarck at 12:56 AM on November 28

CFL Playoff Pick 'Em, Grey Cup Edition

420 passing yards at the half

852 for the game, box score here

posted by tommytrump at 10:47 PM on November 27

SportsFilter: The Sunday Huddle

posted by holden at 10:45 PM on November 27

SportsFilter: The Sunday Huddle

The ref saying "basically that's about it" while explaining the overtime rules at the Grey Cup is the most Canadian thing ever.

~Down Goes Brown @DownGoesBrown

posted by tommytrump at 10:29 PM on November 27

CFL Playoff Pick 'Em, Grey Cup Edition

Heck of a game 33-33 going into overtime.

posted by ic23b at 10:19 PM on November 27

CFL Playoff Pick 'Em, Grey Cup Edition

420 passing yards at the half.

posted by rcade at 08:28 PM on November 27