FanDuel - WFBC

Recent Comments

SportsFilter: The Sunday Huddle

Yes, scores on 3rd down are counted as conversions. Technically, if a team went for a field goal on 3rd down and made it, it would be a conversion.

posted by Etrigan at 09:28 PM on September 21

SportsFilter: The Sunday Huddle

I also don't know the answer to that question, but speaking of the Pats, apparently every point scored between NE and Oakland was scored by a 'kowski.

posted by bender at 09:08 PM on September 21

Join the SportsFilter Fantasy Premier League

Yes, my team is also finally starting to rebound after a ton of early injuries.

posted by bender at 09:04 PM on September 21

SportsFilter: The Sunday Huddle

I cannot find a direct answer to this question, but what I have found seems to hint that the answer is yes. Consider that the team that scores actually retains possession of the ball in order to try for the extra point and then to execute a kickoff, it would seem that scoring a touchdown, or indeed scoring a field goal on 4th down are conversions.

posted by Howard_T at 08:47 PM on September 21

SportsFilter: The Sunday Huddle

Football question - does a touchdown scored on a 3rd down count as a 3rd down conversion? (got curious after watching the Pats highlights where they mentioned just how bad they are this year on 3rd down conversions)

posted by kokaku at 08:18 PM on September 21

Play SportsFilter's ESPN Fantasy Hockey League

Thanks, rcade, I'm in.

posted by rumple at 05:11 PM on September 21

Play SportsFilter's ESPN Fantasy Hockey League

I sent another invite to your email address here. Check to make sure your ESPN account has your current email too.

posted by rcade at 04:49 PM on September 21

Play SportsFilter's ESPN Fantasy Hockey League

Hi. I was the Hagfish, and did not get an invite from ESPN.

posted by rumple at 03:50 PM on September 21

Join the SportsFilter Fantasy Premier League

I'm enjoying my time in first place while it lasts.

You can put your team in multiple leagues, so joining this one will keep you in the old SportsFilter league whose owner has disappeared.

Anyone else having a terrible year?

posted by rcade at 10:44 AM on September 21

SportsFilter: The Sunday Huddle

Former Titans kicker killed in car accident.

posted by MeatSaber at 08:43 AM on September 21

SportsFilter: The Saturday Huddle

Now 77-3. UNT has not dispensed a beating like this since the 1940s. It upsets the natural order of things.

When I went to UNT in the '80s we were in the I-AA Southland Conference, the same one as the Nicholls State team we're pasting today.

posted by rcade at 06:25 PM on September 20

SportsFilter: The Saturday Huddle

North Texas up 49-3 at halftime - this just ain't right. Cain't feel good. Can it?

posted by beaverboard at 05:13 PM on September 20

SportsFilter: The Saturday Huddle

Longest goal in Bundesliga history.

posted by rcade at 05:01 PM on September 20

Edmonton by 9
Calgary by 11
Saskatchewan by 21

posted by DrJohnEvans at 04:24 PM on September 20

Play SportsFilter's ESPN Fantasy Hockey League

I emailed invites to the owners through ESPN's email interface. If you didn't get one and you were in the league last year, post a comment and I'll send it to your SportsFilter email address. (Also, let me know what team you ran last season -- I lost that information.)

We have at least one opening for an owner in the 10-team league, which plays head-to-head matchups each week in 10 roto categories. If you're interested, let me know.

The draft is the Saturday night before the season begins.

posted by rcade at 03:03 PM on September 20

SportsFilter: The Saturday Huddle

Good news! Dolphins' pass rusher Dion Jordan had his four game suspension for violation of the NFL's Policy and Program on Substances of Abuse lifted as part of the NFL's new drug policy!

Bad news! Dolphins' pass rusher Dion Jordan has been banned for four games for violation of the NFL's Policy and Program on Substances of Abuse after immediately failing another test.

Jeff Ireland's quality work lives on in Miami.

posted by Mr Bismarck at 01:10 PM on September 20

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

It would be refreshing if a team/school/league formalized the policy of "making a punishment more severe when the media won't shut their pieholes."

posted by rcade at 12:49 PM on September 20

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

Winston suspended for entire Clemson game

Oh look, another Firm Moral Stance from an institution that realized how craven their Previous Firm Moral Stance was.

posted by Etrigan at 11:45 PM on September 19

argos will break from past ways in bc. argos by 4

hami by 3

cal by 6

sask by

posted by argoal at 10:20 AM on September 19

Vikings' Adrian Peterson Indicted for Child Injury

An Andrew Sullivan reader offers a psychologist's take on why harsh corporal punishment on a young child is such a bad idea.

The short answer is that when the developing brain endures prolonged "fear states," a person is more likely to be violent as an adult.

I'm probably wrong, but this observation makes me wonder if NFL football players are more likely to have endured corporal punishment and thus more capable of playing an extremely violent sport at its highest level.

posted by rcade at 10:12 AM on September 19

Ron Washington Resigns as Texas Rangers Manager

That press conference is profoundly weird.

If Ron Washington thinks he needs to quit his job to save his marriage, I don't question that.

But why was he represented at the press conference by a lawyer experienced in white-collar criminal defense, and why has he hired public-relations and crisis-management consultants?

As a Rangers fan I didn't need Wash apologizing to me for adultery. I don't like him in that way.

I like the idea being floated of Michael Young as his successor.

posted by rcade at 08:26 AM on September 19

CFL Pick 'Em, Week 13

Thanks holden, but the only rebels I trained in Cambodia were young women setting up their own businesses in rural villages. I'm now just up the road in Laos, where I still can't get the cricket on TV, let alone the CFL. But while there are no internet cafes anymore, even my local noodle shop has free wi-fi.

I'm feeling nostalgic about football and growing up in Sydney, so here's a song.

posted by owlhouse at 09:53 PM on September 18

Ron Washington Resigns as Texas Rangers Manager

Wow. That's really old school.

posted by rdr at 09:53 PM on September 18

SportsFilter: The Thursday Huddle

The CBS analysts thought this would be a tough, close, low-scoring game tonight between the Falcons and Bucs.

It's now 35-0, and we've got 7 minutes left in the 2nd quarter.

posted by Bonkers at 09:32 PM on September 18

NFL Pick 'Em, Week 3

I can't believe I was tempted to pick Tampa. Yeesh!

posted by NoMich at 09:22 PM on September 18

CFL Pick 'Em, Week 13

Howard -- please don't undo the image I have of you on a nuclear sub under the polar ice cap for the past 30 years, getting periodic updates on Boston sports glories and devastations through Morse code. I know that throws the parentage of your PSU-alum son into doubt, but please allow me the latitude to construct my own little fantasies of those I know only through the other side of a computer, without being encumbered by the facts.

As for owlhouse, I am sure he is in the jungles of Cambodia training rebels as we speak, hoping to snatch some time away for a rickshaw ride to the nearest village with an internet cafe so he can post gifs of Australian cricketers taking one in the nuts for our viewing pleasure.

posted by holden at 06:12 PM on September 18

SportsFilter: The Thursday Huddle

New Gatorade commercial for Derek Jeter's retirement.

Is it dusty in here or what? Something in my eye...

posted by Joey Michaels at 06:01 PM on September 18

CFL Pick 'Em, Week 13

half his life on a submarine

Not on a submarine, although early in my career I put some equipment aboard them. I put the same equipment aboard USS Pueblo, but we don't talk about that one. I was mostly working with Navy and Marine Corps aviation. Really, though, up until a few years before I retired, half my adult life was spent outside the US. I think owlhouse would agree when I say travel is the best classroom.

posted by Howard_T at 05:50 PM on September 18

SportsFilter: The Thursday Huddle

Sitting here banging away on the computer with the TV on the NBA Channel. They're showing replays of various playoff games. Right now it's LA vs Indiana in 2000. The original broadcast was NBC, and the announcer is Bob Costas. I did not realize just how good this guy was when doing play-by-play, and it's quite a revelation to someone who thinks Bob Costas is an insufferable dickhead when he pontificates on one issue or another. You live and learn, I guess.

posted by Howard_T at 05:44 PM on September 18

CFL Pick 'Em, Week 13

I love that this picks pool is being dominated by an Australian and a septuagenarian who spent half his life on a submarine. Take that, Canada!

posted by holden at 05:00 PM on September 18

SportsFilter: The Thursday Huddle

It was a heated debate that tore us apart not unlike today's Scotland vote

My sister flies home to Aberdeen tonight. The flight has already been pushed back twice. I'm concerned they are currently extending Hadrian's Wall vertically.

posted by yerfatma at 03:58 PM on September 18

SportsFilter: The Thursday Huddle

And rcade - "Go Roadrunners!" indeed. In my later years, always wondered why the mascot was not the Bulldogs, but that probably was too highfalutin east coast for mid-70's Texas.

posted by holden at 03:50 PM on September 18

SportsFilter: The Thursday Huddle

I was hoping that Bayless and Smith would invest in a Heart Attack Grill franchise.

Or maybe that Superhead would open a Five Guys.

posted by beaverboard at 03:45 PM on September 18

CFL Pick 'Em, Week 13

I have the odd feeling that owlhouse has somehow tapped into my router and is reading my picks. If that means he has to read everything I write, he will be stricken with terminal boredom, and I will win. Actually, I think our picking ability has a high negative correlation to our knowledge of what we are doing. On to Week (Lucky) 13.

Toronto at BC: Jason's fleece seekers travel west to one of the better harbors on the Pacific Coast of North America. They might think they are in a safe port, but something is waiting. The Eagles knew all along "You Can't Hide Your Lyin' Eyes", and the Argos are about to be jumped. BC by 9.

Edmonton at Hamilton: Two men were ice fishing. Suddenly the ice cracked and there was open water between them and the shore. As they began to drift further from land one said, "What do we do now?" The other calmly answered, "I guess we just go with the floe." Eskimos are good at managing ice floes, and while tiger cats don't mind water, they are ill equipped to handle Eskimos. Edmonton by 4.

Calgary at Montreal: One little rouge separates the Stampeders from unbeaten status. Larks are passerines that lose all their feathers in their first moult. This season is moulting time for Les Alouettes, and without feathers the birds could get sunburned and turn quite rouge. Uncontrollable Rampaging Quadrupeds will scatter the birds. Calgary by 17.

Ottawa at Saskatchewan: The color-confused group from the capitol heads to the land of the Theodore Roosevelt emulators. Rough Riders would like to walk softly and carry a big stick. Using a stick is not a good thing to do if you are a football player and get anywhere near children. They won't need a stick to render Ottawa RedBlack and blue. Saskatchewan by 10.

posted by Howard_T at 03:26 PM on September 18

SportsFilter: The Thursday Huddle

Peyton Manning bought 21 pizza restaurants in Denver weeks before Colorado legalized pot.

Those who say there are no ill effects from marijuana use are dead wrong! Obesity will shortly become a major problem.

I'm getting the munchies just writing this'

posted by Howard_T at 03:00 PM on September 18

Peyton Manning had this to say in a recent interview with Peter King:

"There's some different laws out here in Colorado. Pizza business is pretty good out here, believe it or not, due to some recent law changes. So when you come to a different place, you've kind of got to learn everything that comes with it."

posted by holden at 02:56 PM on September 18

SportsFilter: The Thursday Huddle

They're posting record sales.

posted by rcade at 02:34 PM on September 18

SportsFilter: The Thursday Huddle

I was one of the kids who opened up Yale, attending from 2nd through 5th grade in 1975-78. My younger brother and sister were four years behind me there. Sounds like you just missed us.

Go Roadrunners! (We chose that mascot. It was a heated debate that tore us apart not unlike today's Scotland vote.)

posted by rcade at 02:22 PM on September 18

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

Read a little Deadspin to work up a nice rage, then visit Goodspin to even out.

Or how about "Midspin" which contains stories about bad people doing good things?

I think this would qualify as the first article:

Player Suspended for Drug Use Helps Rescue Man Trapped Under Truck

posted by grum@work at 01:56 PM on September 18

SportsFilter: The Thursday Huddle

I do not recall seeing paddles at schools when I was a kid (coincidentally, I also went to school in Richardson, TX -- Yale Elementary -- for Kindergarten and 1st grade), although we left the south in the early 80's when I was in second grade. However, up until 4 or 5 years ago my wife worked for a non-profit literacy program that goes into Chicago public schools and she suggested that corporal punishment is still found in some CPS schools on the south and west sides, and that some/many parents in those communities actually want the teachers to paddle or otherwise physically discipline their kids.

posted by holden at 01:54 PM on September 18

SportsFilter: The Thursday Huddle

When I went to school in Texas in the '70s and '80s, teachers would threaten to paddle students and some carried out that threat. I can remember being in class while a teacher took a student to the adjacent resource room for paddling, then listening to the kid wail.

Paddles seemed to disappear from that school district in Richardson within 3-5 years, but when I moved to the smaller town of Burleson in middle school, they were back. Some teachers hung them up on their class wall (labeled "Board of Education"). My basketball coach occasionally paddled players in the locker room after practice as we were changing out of our gym clothes or uniforms, and in retrospect it was a spectacle both awkward and homoerotic.

posted by rcade at 01:32 PM on September 18

SportsFilter: The Thursday Huddle

New Gatorade commercial for Derek Jeter's retirement.

The spot was well done. I don't think I've seen a commercial that was as genuine as that one is.

posted by BornIcon at 01:14 PM on September 18

SportsFilter: The Thursday Huddle

With respect to the Peterson thing, 538 took a look at the correlation between region, religion, race, and political party affiliation and attitudes on corporal punishment, and the attitudes in the South are definitely more pro-spanking, even after controlling for the other variables.

posted by holden at 12:58 PM on September 18

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

I wonder if sports fans would visit a site that was about athletes doing good works. Read a little Deadspin to work up a nice rage, then visit Goodspin to even out.

posted by rcade at 11:58 AM on September 18

Dead on.

posted by cixelsyd at 11:18 AM on September 18

SportsFilter: The Thursday Huddle

New Gatorade commercial for Derek Jeter's retirement.

I wanted to hate it. I really did. I was going in with cynicism set to "full".
But those scenes interacting with the fans really are sweet.
(The kid almost losing his mind realizing Jeter is going to sign his baseball is my favourite reaction.)

I would like to have seen a longer version of that if they made one.

This commercial is SO much better than that Nike "Tip of the Cap" one with the celebs.

posted by grum@work at 11:01 AM on September 18

The FOX pre-game show?

posted by grum@work at 10:42 AM on September 18

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

The Edifice of Selfless Player News?

posted by Etrigan at 10:06 AM on September 18

SportsFilter: The Thursday Huddle

Florida is an outlier because only the north part of Florida is culturally "southern."

Louisiana is an outlier because the Saints play the Vikings this weekend.

posted by holden at 09:52 AM on September 18

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

October is going to be an interesting month for the NFL. That's when the Susan B. Komen Foundation BCA gloves, shoes, and other accessories usually appear. Will the foundation want to continue having a comprehensive relationship with the league under the present circumstances?

Ironically, two and half years ago, the pink shoe was on the other foot.

If the NFL had half a brain, they would have an office that did nothing but overpump any positive league or player related story they could get their hands on. With at least half as much effort as they put into money counting, merchandising, and game day presentation.

posted by beaverboard at 08:08 AM on September 18

SportsFilter: The Thursday Huddle

There's an interesting trend in the ESPN online poll results for whether the Vikings should have suspended Adrian Peterson. The Yes votes are in the majority everywhere but the south.

posted by rcade at 06:48 AM on September 18

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

I don't see a sports world without positive role models. I see an environment that gives far more attention to negative stories about athletes than positive ones.

Adam Wainwright builds orphanages and clean-water projects in Haiti. Cool story, and he runs a cool charity, but it's reported locally and forgotten.

Any random story about athlete misbehavior, including Jameis Winston standing on a table at college and yelling a profane Internet meme, is going to spread wider than that.

posted by rcade at 06:33 AM on September 18

Chris Paul
Kevin Durant
Tim Duncan
Steve Nash

posted by grum@work at 11:48 PM on September 17

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

The lack of true high profile role models in sports over the last few decades is alarming. Amen for athletes like Russell Wilson who realize how fortunate they are and understand the importance of being a role model to our youth.

Winston, Peterson, Rice, and all the rest feel their only responsibility is on the field and perhaps sporting nice tattoos and "bigger than you" diamond jewelry. Just like young stars before them did.

posted by cixelsyd at 10:09 PM on September 17

CFL Pick 'Em, Week 13

CFL teams as Australian World Heritage sites. BC by 12. You work it out, you lazy Canadians. Edmonton by 15. Although you've probably figured I have a thing for prairie towns. Calgary by 12. There's three this week. Saskatchewan by 21. So I'm running out of Australian desert references.

posted by owlhouse at 09:25 PM on September 17

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

Oh gee, Jameis Winston said some bad words, so we have to sit him for a half. Oh the humanity. Jameis Winston is such a sterling character. He is implicated in what might or might not be a rape, has shoplifted from a grocery store, and now he does an obscene performance. I guess a half on the bench is far too draconian a punishment for such an upstanding citizen. Oh well, Winston will soon go on to the NFL, where he will be free to abuse his girlfriend or spouse, take whatever he needs without paying for it, and be generally obnoxious in his conduct. Does anyone wonder where the Ray Rices and Adrian Petersons on the league come from?

posted by Howard_T at 05:39 PM on September 17

Vikings' Adrian Peterson Indicted for Child Injury

I'm not a believer in using violence to teach a toddler to not be violent, and I don't think a mere spanking will lacerate someone. Unless Mr. Peterson has razor fingers. He doesn't, does he? That's frightening. Fucking Freddie Kreuger over here.

posted by NoMich at 03:54 PM on September 17

Vikings' Adrian Peterson Indicted for Child Injury

I think it's a bit quirky to hit any other human being hard enough with a switch that it bends around their limbs and cuts them elsewhere, at least absent a safety word and leather boots.

posted by yerfatma at 03:26 PM on September 17

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

Arguably, the stupidest thing about the Winston situation is that he was participating in an artificially created meme. I mean, they're all artificially created, but this one is an attempt at creating a meme and forcing it to spread despite the fact that its totally stupid and nobody but idiots want to spread it.

posted by Joey Michaels at 03:26 PM on September 17

Vikings' Adrian Peterson Indicted for Child Injury

What exactly was Peterson trying to get his kid to learn by doing this to him?

From a story: "Peterson's son had pushed another one of Peterson's children off of a motorbike video game."

I don't believe in corporal punishment. Didn't like it as a kid, don't do it as an adult. But do you think it is unusual for a dad to give a four-year-old a spanking because he was physically violent with another kid?

posted by rcade at 03:04 PM on September 17

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

Yeah, a second-half suspension would be more interesting, at least.

posted by Etrigan at 02:09 PM on September 17

Vikings' Adrian Peterson Indicted for Child Injury

/looks at the photos, immediately regrets it.

I don't understand, man. The kid is just four years old. What exactly was Peterson trying to get his kid to learn by doing this to him? Other than being scared shitless of his old man, that is.

Now Reggie Bush is saying this:
"I discipline her. Obviously every person is different, and I definitely will use my best judgement to discipline her depending on the situation. I definitely will obviously not leave bruises or anything like that on her. But I definitely will discipline her, harshly, depending on what the situation is."

His daughter is one. But hey, he tries really, really hard to not leave bruises on her.

posted by NoMich at 02:08 PM on September 17

Bryan Cranston performs one-man show about the MLB playoffs

That was freakin' awesome! Love Bryan Cranston!

posted by BornIcon at 02:00 PM on September 17

Vikings' Adrian Peterson Indicted for Child Injury

It seems capricious that Peterson is being punished for this, absent more evidence that the media has not yet brought to light.

Try as you might, I don't think Peterson is going to score you any points in this week's fantasy games. ;)

I don't see how the injuries rise to the level of being a criminal offense, given that corporal punishment by parents and schools is still widespread in this country. In schools, in the last year of data available, 223,190 students were paddled.

From the quick look I saw of the photos on the news, it seemed to indicate that the skin was broken, bleeding may have occurred, and there may be scarring after the fact. I think that's too much.

posted by grum@work at 01:30 PM on September 17

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

Jameis Winston has been suspended for the first half of Saturday's game against Clemson. Am I the only one who sees a half game suspension (to anyone, for anything) as both a ridiculous and transparent non-punishment? I'm not sure that simply stating that the team would be handling disciplining him for this incident would not have sufficed, but a half suspension to me says, "They think we should suspend you, but we can't afford to play without you, so this is the minimum we're willing to punish you." That may well even be the case, but if so, then what difference does it make? I think I'd rather hear the coach say, "Winston did something completely inappropriate. The team is addressing this issue, and it won't happen again."

posted by bender at 01:10 PM on September 17

Saskatchewan by 17

posted by cixelsyd at 12:35 PM on September 17

Bryan Cranston performs one-man show about the MLB playoffs

Awesome, thanks.

posted by yerfatma at 11:51 AM on September 17

Vikings' Adrian Peterson Indicted for Child Injury

(Note: Regardless of how common it is, I'd be happy to see this practice fade into the past.)

posted by rcade at 10:54 AM on September 17

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

Vikings U-Turn on Peterson after numerous sponsors and politicians give the high sign.

posted by billsaysthis at 10:54 AM on September 17

Saskatchewan by 26

posted by ic23b at 02:07 AM on September 17

Bryan Cranston performs one-man show about the MLB playoffs

*standing ovation*

posted by grum@work at 10:48 PM on September 16

Vikings' Adrian Peterson Indicted for Child Injury

After seeing some pictures of the marks left, I'd say it's more than any 4 year old should receive.

posted by Ricardo at 10:40 PM on September 16

CFL Pick 'Em, Week 13

Montreal hangs in there, but Edmonton pulls away with a strong fourth quarter to seal the deal. Calgary goes down early but breaks all sorts of records in a huge comeback against the Argos. B.C. stifles the Bomber offence at home, while Saskatchewan just can't get anything done in Hamilton.

MTL @ EDMTOR @ CGYWPG @ BCSSK @ HAM
ResultEdmonton by 17Calgary by 7B.C. by 17Hamilton by 25
Margin of Error12 to 225 to 912 to 2218 to 33

The tie at the top persists! Some movement in the ranks makes things interesting. We have eight players within six points of first.

SpoFiteMTL @ EDMSTOR @ CGYSWPG @ BCSSSK @ HAMSPointsTotal Points
ReeverEdmonton12Calgary8 438
tommytrumpEdmonton B.C. Hamilton 336
ic23bEdmonton14Calgary B.C. 436
bender Calgary 131
Ying Yang Mafia 025

WEEK 13

All interdivisional games this week. Who dares to pick the underdog?

Toronto @ B.C. (Friday, September 19)
Life just doesn't get easier for the Argos. After a Calgary collapse, they move on to a battle in B.C. Place. The Lions have won two straight and have their eye on second place.

Edmonton @ Hamilton (Saturday, September 20)
This one could be interesting. Edmonton is the obvious favourite, but have revealed flaws in their game. Hamilton's the underdog, but are undefeated in their new stadium.

Calgary @ Montreal (Sunday, September 21)
Calgary's on a nice little roll but lost QB Bo Levi Mitchell to an ankle injury last week. Can Drew Tate carry on the momentum in Montreal?

Ottawa @ Saskatchewan (Sunday, September 21)
Just got humiliated in Hamilton? What salve could be better than hosting Ottawa?

Good luck!

posted by DrJohnEvans at 09:56 PM on September 16

Discipline vs. Abuse

Texas Attorney General page on Child Abuse

The law specifically excludes "reasonable" discipline by the child's parent, guardian, or conservator; corporal punishment is not in itself abusive under the law. An act or omission is abusive only if "observable and material impairment" occurs as a result, or if it causes "substantial harm," or exposes the child to risk of substantial harm.

posted by Etrigan at 06:03 PM on September 16

Giancarlo Stanton Hit in Face with 88-Mph Pitch

OUCH!!!

posted by Howard_T at 04:30 PM on September 16

Vikings' Adrian Peterson Indicted for Child Injury

I was under the impression domestic corporal punishment is still legal in the US. I understand there's a line where it crosses into child abuse, but where is it drawn? And how do we know whether it was crossed in this case?

I am not playing devil's advocate here, I just don't think I understand the facts well enough.

posted by Ricardo at 04:15 PM on September 16

Giancarlo Stanton Hit in Face with 88-Mph Pitch

posted by rcade at 04:08 PM on September 16

SportsFilter: The Tuesday Huddle

Crappy, overrated Mike Trout is not having the best season ever for a 22 year-old baseball player. And yet he's already 5th all-time in WAR for players through their age 23 season. So I guess he's ok.

posted by yerfatma at 03:21 PM on September 16

SportsFilter: The Tuesday Huddle

Penn State doesn't get to climb on a moral high horse about a decade-long coverup for at least a decade after the coverup, sorry.

posted by Etrigan at 01:52 PM on September 16

Vikings' Adrian Peterson Indicted for Child Injury

The Vikings have lost a sponsor. Peterson has now officially damaged the NFL's bank accounts. He's toast.

posted by Etrigan at 01:41 PM on September 16

SportsFilter: The Tuesday Huddle

I agree with rcade. Unless the university (or some university-sanctioned group) was responsible for the shirts' existence--I'm assuming this was not the case--the only thing the AD accomplished by apologizing was bringing more press to a story that didn't need it.

posted by bender at 12:36 PM on September 16

Vikings' Adrian Peterson Indicted for Child Injury

The second shoe dropping is not a good sign for Peterson. Given the new climate where the league has to prove extra double good that it cares about domestic violence, I think Goodell will likely drop the hammer on him.

posted by rcade at 11:15 AM on September 16

SportsFilter: The Tuesday Huddle

Why should the Rutgers AD be compelled to apologize for a fan's shirt that ridicules Penn State for its pedophile cover up? Rutgers didn't sell the shirt or voice any approval for the shirt. Fans mock their rivals in ways that are in questionable taste all the time in sports.

posted by rcade at 11:13 AM on September 16

Gus Johnson Booted as Fox Soccer Announcer

Great article and a terrific comment as well.

posted by yerfatma at 10:04 AM on September 16

SportsFilter: The Monday Huddle

Nope. Same screen telling me to subscribe.

Weird. I tried it in Incognito Mode in Chrome and it worked fine for me with no popup. I also have a lot of blocking turned on via Ghostery and AdBlock, so it might be that.

posted by yerfatma at 09:58 AM on September 16

Gus Johnson Booted as Fox Soccer Announcer

Glad to see the change. No ill feelings personally towards Johnson, but a bit of hubris on the part of Fox (and perhaps him as well) in seemingly thinking that you can just plug talent from one sport into another and it will work fine (and that's putting aside that he's not actually a particularly good announcer in other sports, at least to my tastes).

Good take on this in The Guardian, from someone who understands sports television on both sides of the Atlantic.

posted by holden at 09:20 AM on September 16

SportsFilter: The Tuesday Huddle

If it wasn't tough enough already to be associated with Rutgers and to be pained and embarrassed by one Rice after another, the university once again covered itself in scarlet glory this past weekend as the football team made its Big 10 debut against Penn State in front of a record home crowd.

Some fans felt compelled to wear shirts that read "Beat Ped State", forcing Rutgers AD Julie "The Shame Whisperer" Hermann to issue a public apology to address the widespread outcry against the tasteless display.

Add former coach Schiano's track record and reputation to the mix and it's no wonder that Robert Kraft's Patriots are always on the lookout for more players from the crucible of high character in Piscataway.

posted by beaverboard at 08:35 AM on September 16

Vikings' Adrian Peterson Indicted for Child Injury

Or, you want a lawyer who knows how to defend his client against (according to the client) spurious charges. I remember how everyone was sure Clemens was going to get nailed for perjury, but walked out of court without a scratch.

That's the kind of lawyer you'd want, and I don't blame Peterson (ignoring the charges against him) for going after the best counsel possible.

posted by grum@work at 08:22 AM on September 16

Vikings' Adrian Peterson Indicted for Child Injury

Earlier today I saw Peterson's explanation/apology for the situation. I was willing to accept that. It sounded like a man who was unaware of the seriousness of his actions and did not realize his mistake. Once it had been brought to his attention, he seemed contrite and willing to learn from the experience.

Fast forward an hour or two, and all of a sudden comes an allegation that Peterson had also whipped (or switched, or whatever) another of his sons. Now I'm not so sure of the honesty of his earlier statement. His lawyer denies that there is any truth to the story of previous corporal punishment of his other son. The lawyer's name is Rusty Hardin. Doesn't that name sound familiar? I don't know about you, but when you get a heavy hitter like Roger Clemens' old mouthpiece, you are loading up for something.

posted by Howard_T at 11:58 PM on September 15

SportsFilter: The Monday Huddle

That's pretty cool. A friend of mine play college ball at Yale and has since collected a rather sizable collection of rejection letters from NFL teams. Don't know if the New York Football Giants are among them. I should ask.

posted by NoMich at 09:26 PM on September 15

SportsFilter: The Monday Huddle

Here's a cool family memento shared by a guy whose great-uncle was offered an NFL tryout in the 1940s:

posted by rcade at 08:58 PM on September 15

SportsFilter: The Monday Huddle

Works for me, a non-subscriber, and I didn't even get a pop-up...

posted by MeatSaber at 07:38 PM on September 15