Recent Comments

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

I'm moving SportsFilter to a new faster server tonight. There will be hiccups.

posted by rcade at 10:13 PM on May 25

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

Somebody's kid needs to dress up as Anderson Varejao ASAP.

(Alternate caption: Draymond forces Adams into involuntary reassignment procedure)

posted by beaverboard at 11:50 AM on May 25

SportsFilter: The Sunday Huddle

Not clear on how it gets upgraded in severity but he gets no suspension except: "It's good for TV, now excuse us while we figure out how to keep these pesky Raptors from making it into the Finals".

posted by yerfatma at 12:25 PM on May 24

SportsFilter: The Tuesday Huddle

Kenneth Starr (yeah, that one) is reportedly about to be fired as President and Chancellor of Baylor University due to the ever-expanding scandal over sexual assaults by football players and cover-ups thereof. Ah, irony.

posted by Etrigan at 11:47 AM on May 24

SportsFilter: The Tuesday Huddle

The rink in Santa Barbara was completed in October of 2014. There are now 4 men's adult leagues, both boys and girls youth leagues, and a line out the door for every public skating session. Of course, the town is crawling with Canadian and northeast/Midwest transplants, but I think the Kings string of success also has a lot to do with the interest.

posted by tahoemoj at 11:44 AM on May 24

Did the Starting Gate Injury Break Barbaro's Leg?

Interesting read, although some of the comments in the Deadspin article (from seemingly informed/qualified commenters) have me leaning towards the "probably not" camp.

posted by holden at 10:43 AM on May 24

SportsFilter: The Tuesday Huddle

Speaking as a fan of a Southern team, what difference does it make? They've been playing NHL games mainly indoors for 90 now, so what's the big deal of where the franchise is located?

Hockey fans in so-called traditional markets can be so weird about where people are allowed to play the game. Why do they have this litmus test of where the sport can be played? It's like they don't want the sport to expand and be played by kids, no matter where they are. Thanks to the presence of an NHL team, the Triangle area of North Carolina has something like six regular ice rinks, a megacomplex of multiple ice rinks, and another megacomplex on the way. Still, there's hardly any available free skate time in any of those places because of all of the youth leagues and adult leagues.

I grew up in the northern part of Michigan's lower peninsula and growing up, no one gave a shit about hockey. I think the only place it was played was in Traverse City. This was in the days before cable TV, so there were no Red Wings games on TV or even the radio and no one played pond hockey. It was a rich person's sport that was played in Traverse and the small towns near there where people could make it to the rink on a snowy Saturday. Now, thanks to cable TV and the Red Wings being good, everyone up there is a hockey fan.

posted by NoMich at 10:26 AM on May 24

SportsFilter: The Sunday Huddle

And no suspension, just upgraded to a Flagrant 2. Big save for the Dubs.

posted by billsaysthis at 10:11 AM on May 24

SportsFilter: The Tuesday Huddle

I still struggle with the concept of major league pro hockey being played in warm weather latitudes.

Not only did no Canadian teams make the NHL postseason, but if the Sharks end up facing the Lightning in the finals, I think they would be the most southerly pair of Cup finalists ever.

Heck, even if St. Louis faces Tampa Bay I think they still might be the most southerly pair.

(Except that St. Louis does get plenty cold and snowy in the winter - as well as hotter than hell in the summer. I've been there and seen both ends of that.)

Edit: just realizing that Avalanche v. Panthers might come pretty close.

posted by beaverboard at 09:43 AM on May 24

SportsFilter: The Monday Huddle

Not so awesome picture:

Ryan Vogelsong got hit in the face by a pitch today.
Definite broken orbital bone, possible eye injury and concussion.

Warning: Graphic image! I've moved it to a link instead of an inline image.

posted by grum@work at 06:34 PM on May 23

SportsFilter: The Sunday Huddle

When he entered this series, Adams was of half Tongan ancestry, but who knows what his genetic ratio is at this point.

posted by beaverboard at 04:57 PM on May 23

SportsFilter: The Sunday Huddle

It wasn't even the first time this series that Green has "accidentally" had an encounter with Adams' junk.

posted by Ufez Jones at 03:54 PM on May 23

SportsFilter: The Monday Huddle

Awesome!

posted by billsaysthis at 10:48 AM on May 23

SportsFilter: The Sunday Huddle

Holy moly, I root for the Warriors but that is terrible. Someone's surely missing Game 4 and perhaps more.

posted by billsaysthis at 10:46 AM on May 23

SportsFilter: The Monday Huddle

Portland Timbers "welcomed" Vancouver this weekend in MLS...

If you zoom in, everyone in the crowd has tinfoil hats on.

posted by Mr Bismarck at 10:34 AM on May 23

SportsFilter: The Sunday Huddle

I don't understand how that isn't an instant ejection/suspension.

posted by grum@work at 08:32 AM on May 23

"Flagrant One"

Draymond's a (talented, admittedly) hack and this series is proving it.

posted by Ufez Jones at 10:19 PM on May 22

SportsFilter: The Sunday Huddle

Pillar doing Pillar things, again.

posted by grum@work at 06:56 PM on May 22

SportsFilter: The Saturday Huddle

Well, we now know that both Kerr and Donovan can coach in the pros and they are both good stories. Therefore, I'm OK with seeing the Cavs win the whole thing so we can put the "bringing a championship to Cleveland" narrative to rest.

The parts that add a wrinkle to the tale are the kid coaches: Walton going lights out on the Warriors' sideline while Kerr was on leave (and not getting credit for any of the team wins), and Lue possibly presiding over a Cavs title after Blatt was deep sixed while leading the conference.

posted by beaverboard at 08:35 AM on May 22

SportsFilter: The Saturday Huddle

Adam Silver is going to wake up sweating and screaming tonight, at even the slightest chance of a Thunder/Raptors final...

I'm cheering for the Raptors, and even I don't want that to happen.

Warriors/Cavs - the sequel, except the Cavs have a healthy lineup, except the Warriors are trying to finish off a legendary season...how can Silver not touch himself thinking about that.

Warriors/Raptors - either one team has the greatest upset in NBA history, or one team stomps their way to history.

Thunder/Cavs - Lebron/Love vs Durant/Westbrook, and an NBA championship for a city that has never had one.

Thunder/Raptors - American ratings nightmare, and neither #1 seed makes it to the finals.

posted by grum@work at 11:52 PM on May 21

SportsFilter: The Saturday Huddle

posted by MeatSaber at 11:26 PM on May 21

SportsFilter: The Saturday Huddle

Two horses died in the first four races of today's Preakness. One euthanized on the track due to a broken leg, the other collapsed on the podium after winning a race.

What a stupid, cruel "sport".

posted by Ufez Jones at 03:28 PM on May 21

SportsFilter: The Saturday Huddle

I read a lot about WW I aviation as a kid, so I knew right away who Roland Garros was when the name came first came up as a sports reference. I kept waiting and wondering when they were going to start talking about him and his war career. They never did, and then eventually mentioned him in an Aflac trivia sort of way. At this point, if you search the name, the actual person and his noteworthiness are tucked way down in the search results.

I keep waiting for a French retro 70's band to name themselves Rene Fonck.

posted by beaverboard at 03:22 PM on May 21

SportsFilter: The Saturday Huddle

When did people stop saying French Open and start saying Roland Garros?

When did the British Open start being called The Open in the U.S.?

posted by rcade at 11:58 AM on May 21

SportsFilter: The Friday Huddle

I don't know if the Cavaliers will go Fo-Fo-Fo on their way to the NBA Finals, but the Eastern playoffs are starting to remind me of 1983. When the Celtics lost to the Bucks, Boston fans were upset -- until they saw what the Malone/ Erving Sixers did to the Bucks.

Even though the Bucks did manage to win a game from the Sixers, Boston fans realized that their team had been spared a disheartening and inevitable defeat to hated Phila., as befell the Hawks this year against Cleveland after they beat the Celtics.

posted by beaverboard at 12:11 PM on May 20

Premier League Fantasy 2015-16 final results

Kept forgetting to change my lineup during my college soccer season, so was bottom of the table going into Boxing Day.

Fought my way to 16th to avoid relegation :)

Looking for a Leicester City performance next year.

posted by prof at 09:39 AM on May 20

Premier League Fantasy 2015-16 final results

+1 Holden. or +1 Owlhouse.

posted by prof at 09:35 AM on May 20

Premier League Fantasy 2015-16 final results

Euro 2016 Confidence Pool?

posted by owlhouse at 10:40 PM on May 19

Premier League Fantasy 2015-16 final results

We were tops at New Year's; top 3 percent worldwide. Everything looked rosy. Then, like Crystal Palace, we started a slow collapse. Held on to Ighalo far too long; Lukaku and Barkley were worthless; and I finally grabbed Kane and Lloris just in time for the nuclear meltdown.

At least we pulled a Big Sam and avoided the drop into the second division (which could have been called SpoFi for Losers). Maybe we should have hired Rafa to save us from ourselves.

posted by jjzucal at 09:21 PM on May 19

SportsFilter: The Thursday Huddle

Fraternizing with the enemy!

posted by grum@work at 07:35 PM on May 19

British Open Drops Muirfield for Not Admitting Women

What bold Scot wouldn't want to have a long lunch with Condi Rice in the comfort of the clubhouse whilst gazing out at the untamed sea?

As Rogers of Glenburn pointed out, they'll likely let women join the Club at some point. That's not where the critical, unwavering line will be drawn.

It's the distillery that will be the firm and final bastion of manhood. As the gods intended.

Immortalized in a more adventurous vein here.

posted by beaverboard at 07:07 PM on May 19

British Open Drops Muirfield for Not Admitting Women

This looks like another Augusta-style "we'll do it, but not now because you pressured us" maneuver. You're not the boss of me! Such a waste of time forestalling the inevitable.

posted by rcade at 05:10 PM on May 19

Premier League Fantasy 2015-16 final results

+1 Holden.

posted by billsaysthis at 04:36 PM on May 19

Premier League Fantasy 2015-16 final results

I think that's maybe my third or fourth year running of finishing second. Kind of like Arsenal I guess.

I'm thinking we should get a Euro 2016 fantasy league going (maybe a little closer to the tournament, once rosters are finalized).

posted by holden at 02:13 PM on May 19

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

It was Colon's own fault that his cover was blown. Because he briefly represented himself in the custody dispute, his name was listed as an attorney in the case, sabotaging the "anonymous" shield the former couple had been granted by a judge.
*facepalm*

posted by Etrigan at 01:40 PM on May 19

British Open Drops Muirfield for Not Admitting Women

I was actually watching the Golf Channel when this broke (the baby likes green and soft, soothing voices), and over the next hour or so, I was struck at how they seemed totally incapable of finding anyone who would publicly defend the restriction. Every time another middle-aged white guy popped up on the screen, I'd think, Okay, here we go..., but nope, the sonofabitch would talk about how it's 2016 and how are we still talking about this and look at how many women play golf and this makes golf look like a bunch of middle-aged white guys.

posted by Etrigan at 01:37 PM on May 19

Premier League Fantasy 2015-16 final results

Right in the middle of the table, just like last year...

posted by bender at 10:09 AM on May 19

British Open Drops Muirfield for Not Admitting Women

Hopefully the loss of Muirfield won't create an opening for the Donald to push to have his new course up near Aberdeen added to the Open rotation. Seeing the documentation of the creation of that course angered me on an almost Monsanto level, and that is saying a lot.

Trump also owns Turnberry, so he's already in the rotation, for what that's worth.

If he hears that a shortage of women is the central issue, he'll see to that forthwith, one way or another.

posted by beaverboard at 09:49 AM on May 19

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

I cannot even tell you how upset I was after that goal on the restart, I was at a pub with several co-workers and nearly lost my lunch. Seems to have done a similar number on most of the Reds.

I don't understand, though, how the ref didn't give a single one of the three handball PKs in the first half but had he done so the result might have been very different.

posted by billsaysthis at 09:49 AM on May 19

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

Once he got on base, should have pulled him and gone to a pinch runner.

posted by beaverboard at 08:27 AM on May 19

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

Bartolo Colon has a second secret family.

My favourite comments I've seen about this story:

- Triple chin, double life!

- Too much pork for just one fork!

- He couldn't afford to pay child support because he's got his own mouth to feed.

posted by grum@work at 12:54 AM on May 19

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

Good summary of the match by Barney Ronay.

if you're a Reds fan: "But then this isn't really a team yet, more a working model conjured out of the air by Klopp's whirling hands on the touchline."

If you like your football comparisons: "In terms of depth, game management, tactical versatility and basic quality of player, La Liga is miles ahead. This was the perfect test point: seventh in Spain versus eighth in England. Seventh absolutely strolled it."

posted by owlhouse at 09:32 PM on May 18

Why, Liverpool? Why?

posted by rcade at 07:45 PM on May 18

i'll just leave this here

Khris Davis grand slam

With that jump shot helmet toss, looks like someone should be on the look out for a Matt Bush fastball in the ribs...

posted by grum@work at 06:04 PM on May 18

Odor claims self-defense.

This is one of the more ridiculous statements I've seen defended around here.

posted by tron7 at 05:53 PM on May 18

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

Tough year to be a Reds fan. Although the bullpen is consistent.

posted by tahoemoj at 03:47 PM on May 18

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

"Like a Beautiful Swan" An NFL star prepares for a possible career after he leaves the game. He's surprisingly graceful for a man his size.

posted by Howard_T at 02:19 PM on May 18

i'll just leave this here

Khris Davis grand slam

posted by tommytrump at 01:56 PM on May 18

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

I just saw Colin Cowherd on FS1 waiting for the Europa League final. His co-host Kristine Leahy spends the entire time listening with a smile on her face. It doesn't seem possible to do that as a natural position for so long.

posted by rcade at 01:55 PM on May 18

SportsFilter: The Sunday Huddle

If Bautista had done that to Odor, what do you think Odor's reaction would have been?

Under normal circumstances -- no history between the clubs or players, no current cycle of payback -- I think Odor would have reacted the way Simmons did.

posted by rcade at 09:11 AM on May 18

SportsFilter: The Sunday Huddle

As for the suspensions, I have no problem with the ones that were handed out, and the players/coaches that were fined. They are all within the range I would have expected, and I don't think any one player/team has too much to complain about.

I didn't expect Bush to get punished (there is too much precedence of the instigator getting away with it because no warnings had been issued before hand), even though the umpire knew something was up because he actually issued warnings after he hit Bautista.

Side note: I think that's bullshit, by the way. Issuing a warning after the first HBP means that the initiator gets away with it and the other team gets no response (using a pitcher). I'm not saying the second team should be allowed to go headhunting (I never proscribe to that logic) but Chavez's throw into Fielder's enormous ass would have been a perfectly acceptable response to the Bautista plunking (if the rest of the stuff hadn't happened).

posted by grum@work at 08:57 AM on May 18

SportsFilter: The Sunday Huddle

Out of all this, I did find this pretty funny.

Sam Dyson, for aggressive actions during the brawl, was fined by the league. He's the only one that ended up with any visible injuries. It looks like his foray into the brawl was about as successful as his pitch from October.

posted by grum@work at 06:26 AM on May 18

SportsFilter: The Sunday Huddle

The Odor slide was the subject of a replay review in New York and it was not deemed an illegal slide. I agree with the call.

That's not the question I asked. I didn't challenge the legality of the slide (since, as I've pointed out in the other picture, it seems to be still in flux), I asked about the dangerous nature or aggressiveness of the slide.

posted by grum@work at 06:17 AM on May 18

SportsFilter: The Sunday Huddle

Looking at it from the viewpoint of an umpire, there are a number of differences. First of all, Bautista went into a sort of rolling block as opposed to a straight slide. The slide in the linked video is the sort taught by youth coaches everywhere, that is with one leg tucked, the other extended toward the base, and the head up. Bautista went past the base and did not even attempt to reach back for the bag. The slide in the video shows the player sliding past the bag, but he reached for the bag and held it as he stopped. In short, the video shows a baseball slide, while Bautista showed a bad take out attempt.

Now, since the legality of the slide is a judgement call, anybody who argues with me will be ejected from this discussion!!! (only kidding, but rules are rules)

posted by Howard_T at 12:27 AM on May 18

SportsFilter: The Sunday Huddle

The Texas Rangers broadcaster (and former Texas Ranger himself) didn't see anything wrong with the Texas Rangers player's action? I'm shocked!

If you can listen to that call without bias, you'd see it's a an example of TAG being about as vanilla and non-homery as he's always been (which he's often criticized for). He's about as straight up as it gets for a non-national guy.

I mean, the line "He did SLIGHTLY slide to the right of the base." is a howler of a homer line, as is the description that Simmons was "3 feet in front of the bag" and "in the base path".

Oh come on now, that's a bad angle and you know it. Call it 2.5 feet in front of the bag if you want, but that's awfully nitpicky. Plus it makes a big difference that the throw from the Odor slide here came from first base instead of third in the Bautista slide and Joey Bats came in knees up.

But as someone that worked in the old Dallas School Book Depository for several years, this is getting awfully Zapruder-y about an event that has been interesting but not all that important in the long run for my taste.

posted by Ufez Jones at 12:06 AM on May 18

SportsFilter: The Sunday Huddle

I'd call it a fine whine. The "little kids" part in particular is pitiable. I enjoyed the salty taste of his tears.

posted by rcade at 11:19 PM on May 17

SportsFilter: The Sunday Huddle

21-year-veteran play by play broadcaster Tom Grieve seemed to do a pretty good job of that in the video you linked.

But you do see the distinct similarities, right? He slid hard into the fielder's legs and took him out, just like Bautista did with Odor. He also slid past the base, but in Odor's case, he made a token reach back to touch the bag after he went by. The difference is that Simmons didn't get up and try to start a fight.

(Also, Bautista went right over the bag, while Odor went to the right of the bag in an attempt to take out Simmons.)

He's writing for the Ottawa Sun, so pretty much none of the local fans will have read anything he's written. Besides, the first time one of their sports writers says something positive about a Toronto team (that isn't winning), it'll be a miracle. Also, throw in the "look at me!" page view "hot take" (a phrase I learned today), and it's pretty much expected. I mean, he has one article that says "Slumping Ottawa Senators should not fire coach." and then a month later has an article that says "Senators coaching change would make sense."

Bautista put on quite the whine as well.

No, he didn't. When the play was reviewed and the game ended, he went straight into the dugout. He didn't argue, he didn't yell, he didn't show any emotion about it. When asked about it after the game, he said:

"I feel like I respect the rule, that it was an absolutely clean slide," Bautista said. "And it's just disappointing to lose a major league baseball game, with so much at stake every day here. We put a lot into the game since we were little kids and then to all of a sudden have everything taken away like that is just strange."

That's not "whining".

posted by grum@work at 11:06 PM on May 17

SportsFilter: The Sunday Huddle

FWIW, I still stand by my first comment in this thread: I don't find Rougie's actions defensible, I'm fine with him being suspended 8 (or 10 or 5 or whatever it winds up being) games. I just don't buy Bautista as an innocent victim (and I had zero problem with the batflip in the ALDS).

Curious as to how Jays fans feel about this Don Brennan column though. I don't know him from anyone, so if he's a muckity BS peddler, don't worry about it. The DFW media has plenty of those as well.

posted by Ufez Jones at 10:24 PM on May 17

SportsFilter: The Sunday Huddle

And, as a final statement, I ask rcade to explain to me the difference between Bautista's slide into Odor, and this slide into a short stop three weeks ago. Is Bautista's any more dangerous or aggressive than that one (which didn't result in a brawl)?

posted by Ufez Jones at 10:12 PM on May 17

SportsFilter: The Sunday Huddle

Wild. Bautista cost the Jays the game with that leg grab.

Spent a week listening to Toronto media trying to justify that slide as a normal play and being astonished the rule was applied. Bautista put on quite the whine as well.

It is possible the next time he pulls that crap, and trust me he will, MLB loses a quality infielder for the season due to injury.

posted by cixelsyd at 09:56 PM on May 17

SportsFilter: The Sunday Huddle

I've never defended the phrase "sucker punch". I've attacked the statement that what Odor did was "self-defense".

posted by grum@work at 09:43 PM on May 17

SportsFilter: The Sunday Huddle

Wild. Bautista cost the Jays the game with that leg grab.

This is news to people?

It was a big deal when it happened over a month ago. He was the first player to get dinged under the new "Utley Rule". Since then, the enforcement for it has been..suspect, at best.
(For example, this was ruled a legal slide.)

Oh, who was that sliding hard into the legs of the fielder, taking him out? Just one guess!

posted by grum@work at 09:42 PM on May 17

SportsFilter: The Sunday Huddle

Wild. Bautista cost the Jays the game with that leg grab.

posted by rcade at 09:26 PM on May 17

SportsFilter: The Sunday Huddle

And if we're bringing up history, Bautista isn't even clean this young season.

posted by Ufez Jones at 09:14 PM on May 17

SportsFilter: The Sunday Huddle

Roughned's rapidly becoming a folk hero in DFW -- the anti-Clint Longley. This list of 10 things about him includes one I didn't know: He's a former Minor Leaguer of the Year and was the youngest rookie to play a game in 2014.

posted by rcade at 09:04 PM on May 17

SportsFilter: The Sunday Huddle

Explain how Odor is "defending himself".

I didn't say Odor was defending himself. I said Bautista was squaring up, which made his complaint about a sucker punch whiny and ridiculous.

Bautista is not an idiot. He's an old pro. He knew when he slid that it might spark a brawl. Watch how he popped up instantly and spun around to face Odor. Both of them stepped towards each other aggressively.

Did he expect a punch like that? Maybe not. Was it a sucker punch? Please.

I hope the Rangers call up Roughned Odor to sub for Roughned Odor.

P.s. All GoFundMes work that way. You have to trust the organizer not to abscond with the lucre.

posted by rcade at 08:58 PM on May 17

SportsFilter: The Tuesday Huddle

It's not much of a superpower, but it's what I got.

I hate you.

posted by owlhouse at 08:55 PM on May 17

SportsFilter: The Sunday Huddle

rcade: Maybe you can throw some cash into this GoFundMe. ;)

My favourite comment:

Sally Sampson 2 hours ago
I think I screwed up by donating to this. There's no indication that the money goes to anyone but the creator of the fund, James Ray. The money goes straight to him.

I'd like to think that it's a Blue Jays fan that set this up...

posted by grum@work at 08:10 PM on May 17

SportsFilter: The Sunday Huddle

But he didn't shove him. He didn't punch him. He didn't even make a move to punch him until Odor's fist was half way to connecting.

Homer take you may think, but image evidence says that.

Bautista's hand is neither in a fist, nor drawn back into a punching motion (unless he's doing some weird chest-level jab thing) when Odor's fist is almost ready to connect.

Explain how Odor is "defending himself".

posted by grum@work at 07:34 PM on May 17

SportsFilter: The Tuesday Huddle

Fredi Gonzlez, you've got mail

posted by tommytrump at 07:24 PM on May 17

SportsFilter: The Sunday Huddle

One action that has been overlooked in this entire situation is that Matt Bush stuck around after he hit Bautista.

That's something, I guess.

posted by tommytrump at 05:50 PM on May 17

SportsFilter: The Sunday Huddle

Bautista didn't say anything and he didn't shove anyone before the punch. So it was one person squared up, exchanging words, shoving, and then punching.

Bautista was stepping into him before he got shoved. They were almost chest to chest. That's squaring up. You can see it in the first video, which also has new angles on the fight.

You're batting 1.000 in homer takes. Bautista slid dirty and took a punch in the mouth that was probably deserved. I'd feel differently if he got hurt, of course, but I think the only casualties were his sunglasses and his pride.

Odor got 8 games and probably will lose at least 5 after appeal. That's fair. I hope Bautista gets a game for that slide.

posted by rcade at 04:55 PM on May 17

SportsFilter: The Tuesday Huddle

Hopefully I don't jinx the second half just by tuning in like I did yesterday.

It's not much of a superpower, but it's what I got.

posted by Mr Bismarck at 04:44 PM on May 17

Odor claims self-defense.

Shoves first and punches first and claims self-defense?

I'll give him credit for not pulling any punches for that whopper of a tale.

posted by grum@work at 04:19 PM on May 17

SportsFilter: The Tuesday Huddle

Derby County lost their Championship playoff semi final first leg 3-0 to Hull City. No team in Championship playoff history has ever come back losing the first leg 2-0 to win, but Derby are trying to go even better, as they lead Hull 2-0 at half time in the second leg.

Away goals don't count double in the playoffs until the end of extra time, so if Hull manage to grab one on the break the game wouldn't automatically be over.

Hopefully I don't jinx the second half just by tuning in like I did yesterday.

posted by Mr Bismarck at 03:48 PM on May 17

8 games for Odor.

posted by yerfatma at 03:42 PM on May 17

Odor claims self-defense.

Bautista said he only got rocked because it was a sucker punch.

When two people are squared up to each other exchanging words and shoving is involved, the first punch isn't a sucker punch.

He should just appreciate the aesthetic beauty of the punch the way Toronto fandom wanted the bat flip to be appreciated.

posted by rcade at 03:05 PM on May 17

SportsFilter: The Tuesday Huddle

Once again, the NBA has admitted an OKC- favorable officiating mistake in the fourth quarter of a Thunder playoff game. This time for Westbrook's traveling violation that wasn't called in Game 1 against Golden State.

I think Billy Donovan likes coaching quarters instead of halves. Especially when the refs go on mental Caribbean vacations during crunch time.

posted by beaverboard at 11:55 AM on May 17

SportsFilter: The Sunday Huddle

I have no idea what you are talking about. "Hit and ran again"?

I assume it's a reference to hitting massive home runs and trotting around the bases. Must be it.

posted by yerfatma at 09:10 AM on May 17

SportsFilter: The Sunday Huddle

New battle cry in hockey fights throughout Quebec: "Je t'Odor"

posted by beaverboard at 07:12 AM on May 17

SportsFilter: The Sunday Huddle

Do they not make takes this hot up in Canada?

Oh, man. I'm 45 years old, and I don't listen to terrestrial radio. If that's a musical reference, I'm lost.

posted by grum@work at 06:23 AM on May 17

SportsFilter: The Sunday Huddle

I have no idea what you are talking about. "Hit and ran again"?

Do they not make takes this hot up in Canada?

posted by tron7 at 01:39 AM on May 17

SportsFilter: The Sunday Huddle

The second base umpire called the double-play (because of Bautista's slide) almost instantly.

This was as close to an automatic call for interference and a double play as possible. Bautista started his slide late, it was more of a rolling block than a conventional slide, and the thing that sold the umpire was that the slide went past the bag. No doubt on that call.

posted by Howard_T at 10:00 PM on May 16

NBA Playoff Pick 'Em: Conference Finals

Howard: what about the player with the highest points, rebounds, and assists?

Wow, I missed that one like I missed a couple of calls on the bases today. (My partner got both of them for me, so nobody noticed.)

The Mister Offense Award (Average points, rebounds, assists): Russell Westbrook

posted by Howard_T at 09:53 PM on May 16

SportsFilter: The Monday Huddle

If there ever is an NBA team you'd want to have your brand name associated with, I'm pretty sure these guys are the lowest on the list.

And so the barrier has been broken, and advertising on the North American big 4 sports jerseys is now a thing.

posted by grum@work at 09:36 PM on May 16

NBA Playoff Pick 'Em: Conference Finals

Golden State in 6

Cavaliers in 6

PRA: LeBron James
Blocks: Draymond Green
Steals: Russell Westbrook
Fouls: Klay Thompson
FT: LeBron James

posted by rcade at 09:07 PM on May 16

SportsFilter: The Monday Huddle

Feel very sorry for Brighton, who were easily in the top 3 sides over the course of the Championship season. My niece, who masquerades on match days as Sally the Seagull, won't be performing in the Premier League.

As for Derby, well if we keep shooting ourselves in the foot...

posted by owlhouse at 08:45 PM on May 16

SportsFilter: The Sunday Huddle

Bottom line, Odor stood up for himself while Bautista hit and ran ... again.

I have no idea what you are talking about. "Hit and ran again"?

posted by grum@work at 06:38 PM on May 16

NBA Playoff Pick 'Em: Conference Finals

OKC in 7
CLE in 4
Pts + Reb + Ast: LBJ
Blocks: Stephen Adams
Steals: Westbrook
Fouls: Klay Thompson
FTs: Durant

posted by Ufez Jones at 06:38 PM on May 16

NBA Playoff Pick 'Em: Conference Finals

That was a shrug emoticon

posted by mkn at 06:37 PM on May 16

NBA Playoff Pick 'Em: Conference Finals

Curry Biyombo Curry Lowry James

These player specific questions are basically _()_/ for the more casual people that don't follow league too closely. Should just be game based.

posted by mkn at 06:37 PM on May 16

NBA Playoff Pick 'Em: Conference Finals

Fuck it: raptors in 7

GS in 5

posted by mkn at 06:32 PM on May 16

SportsFilter: The Sunday Huddle

Don't know enough of Odor to know what reputation he has but certainly know what Bautista is all about. If Odor is indeed known for stirring the pot then the 2 of them working things out the way they did doesn't seem out of line. A much better solution than having the Jays or Rangers pitchers throw at the oppositions' heads or a runner who is out by 20 feet trying to injure a fielder.

Bottom line, Odor stood up for himself while Bautista hit and ran ... again.

posted by cixelsyd at 06:14 PM on May 16

SportsFilter: The Sunday Huddle

I saw that during the prediction contest as to how many games Odor will be suspended, one commentator thought 10 games was about right because that's what Michael Barrett got for punching Pierzynski at home plate.

For goodness sake, that is no yardstick to go by. You have to take career long provocation and deservedness into account. Barrett probably got several dozen fruit baskets and boxes of bon bons from other players and managers who wished they could have been the ones to do the deed.

posted by beaverboard at 05:18 PM on May 16

SportsFilter: The Sunday Huddle

I kind of like irrational (probably more like less rational) homer grum as a change-of-pace from analytical grum.

I prefer the term "focused emotions".

I'm pretty sure I was this verbose, determined, persistent, and annoying when someone posted something about "pitcher wins" or RBIs.

posted by grum@work at 04:52 PM on May 16

SportsFilter: The Monday Huddle

Listened to the Brighton-Sheffield Wednesday Playoff Semi-Final 2nd Leg tonight and after a frantic first half both the commentators and text commentary on the BBC said "there's no way there won't be goals in this one in the second half!"

So I found a way to watch the second half and, of course... no goals.

Congrats to rcade's Wednesday side though for making the final. The playoffs are a funny thing - Wednesday probably had the worst form of the four sides going in and they've gone through, meanwhile Derby did the double over Hull during the season but they lost the first leg of the other semi-final 3-0.

If Wednesday do manage to go up they'll be the second Thai-owned Premiership team, joining Leicester City who just about avoided relegation this season.

posted by Mr Bismarck at 04:52 PM on May 16

Brandon Morrow's take.

posted by grum@work at 04:49 PM on May 16

SportsFilter: The Sunday Huddle

By the way, inside this humourous article by Baseball Prospectus about the brawl, there is an animated gif of Odor being tagged by Donaldson at third base from a game in Toronto earlier this year.

Please note Odor's reaction as Donaldson walks off the field.

It was a simple tag, and it might have been "high" or "hard" because he was trying to dodge the tag and Donaldson had to make sure it was applied.

Stinky seems to be a cauldron of rage, ready to boil over at any moment.

Or, as the BP writer says:

but thanks to Josh Donaldson's benign tag a few days ago, we can ignore all those hot takes and remember that it's about Rougned Odor really loving to fight. That's all. You can judge or not judge, celebrate it or plead for somebody to think about the children, but at the end of the day, Rougie Odor needs somebody to slug.

posted by grum@work at 04:39 PM on May 16

SportsFilter: The Sunday Huddle

"You know you're taught to throw low to prevent a guy from coming in high."

Yeah, I think it started as this but he tried to throw that ball through his face once he saw where the slide was coming. Considering he stuck his hand, sans ball, in his face two seconds later it looks pretty obvious to me that he was throwing at him. Not that I really care. Both players wanted to hurt, though probably not injure, each other and one of them turned out to be better at it and will pay accordingly.

posted by tron7 at 02:30 PM on May 16

NBA Playoff Pick 'Em: Conference Finals

Oh wow, I thought I would be getting my ass kicked after picking the Hawks.

Golden State in 7