FanDuel - WFBC

Recent Comments

SportsFilter: The Tuesday Huddle

With a promising Red Sox lefty about to make his debut, Gordon Edes gets a great interview from the Red Sox best-ever lefty debutante, Billy Rohr. Hopefully Henry Owens will generate a bit more ink in the stat book.

posted by yerfatma at 11:47 AM on August 04

No Voter Approval Needed to Spend Public Money on New Rams Stadium

I guess this would be the logical next step in the lunacy of publicly funded major league pro sports facilities, but still -- there's no way to properly describe how criminally idiotic this is.

In terms of any possible public outrage this might generate, it couldn't happen to a nicer league.

posted by beaverboard at 10:15 AM on August 04

SportsFilter: The Tuesday Huddle

Last night Adrian Beltre hit for the cycle for the third time in his career, becoming the third player in the modern era (and the first in 80+ years) to do so.

posted by Ufez Jones at 09:18 AM on August 04

9-Year-Old Bat Boy Dies After Being Struck by Bat

If you believe the player is 100% blameless, isn't that an argument for not allowing young children like Carlile to be bat boys? It's not responsible to expect a nine-year-old to assure his own safety in that job.

Yeah. Which is pretty much what I said in my first post.

Blame the league, blame the team, blame the parents, but don't blame the batter in the on-deck circle.

posted by grum@work at 11:51 PM on August 03

SportsFilter: The Monday Huddle

The onside punt TD, three downs, the rouge (single-point kicks through the endzone), the anyone-can-kick-the-ball mayhem of last-second rouge defenses in tie-game, the running starts for wide receivers on snaps, and (of course) touchdown celebrations....the CFL has a lot to offer for bored NFL fans.

posted by grum@work at 11:48 PM on August 03

5 Days to Start of Premier League Season

There also has been a Fantasy Premier League on MetaFilter since 2010, for those who still hang out on the mothership. Read the message for details or use this invite link. Your team can belong to multiple leagues.

posted by rcade at 09:28 PM on August 03

SportsFilter: The Monday Huddle

I'm seriously digging the onside punt TD. When Roger Goodell has finished working over Tom Brady by 2016 or 2017, he needs to revive that.

posted by rcade at 07:58 PM on August 03

9-Year-Old Bat Boy Dies After Being Struck by Bat

I wouldn't expect a player during play to look out for small children. After watching that play live, I thought J.T. Snow's quick thinking in scooping up Baker's son was amazing.

But running the base paths during play is a different situation than being in the on-deck circle between batters -- or even during someone else's at-bat. You have more chance to pay attention to what's going on around you.

Looking up Darren Baker, I found out the MLB doesn't let children be bat boys until they're 14. There's a big difference in maturity between 14 and 9. It seems more reasonable to expect a 14-year-old to exercise the proper caution himself (or herself) around the on-deck circle.

True, but I'll bet you feel a responsibility to drive more slowly and carefully in your neighborhood if there are a lot of kids in it. I drive slowly and try to avoid the temptation to mess with the phone or radio when I'm in the neighborhood. A three-year-old darted out once and I was fortunate enough to be paying attention that time. Since then I've tried to be justifiably careful.

posted by rcade at 07:43 PM on August 03

SportsFilter: The Monday Huddle

Onside Punt Touchdown early in tonight's Toronto/Hamilton CFL game

posted by tommytrump at 07:43 PM on August 03

9-Year-Old Bat Boy Dies After Being Struck by Bat

Yes, and they are usually old enough to know that you don't go anywhere near the on-deck circle when a batter is warming up.

I feel bad for the kid and it is a tragedy, but the batter should take zero blame for what happened if all he was doing was his normal warm-up swings in the on-deck circle.

It's like blaming a driver if a kid darts out into traffic from between parked cars and gets hit. All drivers know that there are kids outdoors, but no one thinks they have responsibility to be "situationally aware" when a kid darts out in front of their vehicle 10 feet away when traveling at 25 mph.

If the baserunner coming home in the video I linked to had plowed over Dusty Baker's kid, would you have put blame on him for doing so, because he wasn't "situationally aware" that there was a child who MIGHT wander into a dangerous area where they shouldn't be?

posted by grum@work at 06:25 PM on August 03

9-Year-Old Bat Boy Dies After Being Struck by Bat

I would put zero responsibility on the batter unless there was some evidence they were being extraordinarily reckless. You can go out there for any one at bat and avoid hitting someone but when you go out there a million times eventually someone is going to be somewhere you weren't anticipating. Wait for one person to clear and someone else comes running from a different direction. Every year you see something on the field happen that you've never seen before and the same can be true for things happening adjacent to the field.

As my aside, I once knocked out my grandparent's blue heeler when it tried to fetch a ball my brother had soft-tossed to me. The dog usually waited to fetch until after I hit the ball but not that time for whatever reason. That was 20 years ago now but I can still see it happening in slow motion in my mind's eye. She lay there twitching for about 5 minutes before getting up and acting like it never happened. Toughest dog I've ever known and she didn't stop chasing the ball until we put her in the ground.

posted by tron7 at 05:44 PM on August 03

SportsFilter: The Monday Huddle

Interesting choice of photos to recognize family day at Minnesota Vikings camp:

posted by rcade at 04:08 PM on August 03

9-Year-Old Bat Boy Dies After Being Struck by Bat

As an aside, I was hit in the head with a bat when I was a year older than Carlile. We were hitting tennis balls onto my roof and a friend took the bat from me and didn't let me get clear of him before taking a mighty swing. My jaw broke and was wired shut for two months. I shudder to think what a strike at my temple would've done.

But I loved baseball so much this injury didn't deter me in the slightest. I bet this kid would've been the same way had he been fortunate enough to survive. He was related to the team's general manager and had been their bat boy all summer.

The same friend clobbered an ump with a bat later by accident. He was a menace.

posted by rcade at 03:59 PM on August 03

9-Year-Old Bat Boy Dies After Being Struck by Bat

If the game was between batters, players don't normally assume it's safe to take an on-deck swing at that time. There's a lot of movement going on. Bat boys are on the field retrieving the bat if necessary and bringing balls to the ump.

I am surprised you're putting zero responsibility on the player to be situationally aware when he knows that young kids are serving as bat boys. The on-deck circle is not a magic zone where a bat can always be swung with no consequences.

posted by rcade at 03:51 PM on August 03

9-Year-Old Bat Boy Dies After Being Struck by Bat

Carlile was retrieving a bat near the on-deck circle.

Even more reason that it isn't the batter's fault.

There is something that batters do in the on-deck circle, and that is swing the bat. It is assumed that you do it in the on-deck circle because there isn't anyone else around, and doing it in the dugout would be dangerous. So you stand out in the on-deck circle to warm up by swinging the bat, knowing that you are away from everyone else.

If someone else approaches you from behind or side (because we assume that the kid didn't run in the batter's field of view), then how is the batter supposed to know?

It would be like blaming someone swinging in a batting cage for hitting someone on a follow through because that person came from the blind-side in the middle of a swing.

posted by grum@work at 03:40 PM on August 03

9-Year-Old Bat Boy Dies After Being Struck by Bat

If your team has bat boys as young as this kid, it's the responsibility of every player between batters to know where the bat boys are before taking a swing -- even in the on-deck circle. No one should expect a nine-year-old kid to entirely look out for himself.

According to one story, Carlile was retrieving a bat near the on-deck circle. It seems reasonable to expect the player to know that a bat near him on the ground means a bat boy is coming to get it.

I'm not saying string him up. But we hold adults accountable for thoughtless acts like leaving an infant in a hot car. This is an equivalent situation -- a foreseeable, horribly tragic mistake.

posted by rcade at 02:43 PM on August 03

9-Year-Old Bat Boy Dies After Being Struck by Bat

Wait, what?

He was taking practice swings. It's generally considered a bad idea to get near a batter who is doing that, but this poor kid wasn't paying attention and ran into the swing.

The question is why are 9-year-old kids anywhere near the field of play. MLB has at least now figured out that small children aren't always the best arbiter of decision making...

posted by grum@work at 01:08 PM on August 03

9-Year-Old Bat Boy Dies After Being Struck by Bat

Obviously a tragic accident, but the adult baseball player who wasn't paying attention to his surroundings while swinging a bat was being a reckless idiot. If there's a conscious effort here to protect him from scrutiny, it should stop.

posted by rcade at 11:42 AM on August 03

SportsFilter: The Sunday Huddle

Well, it's one means of getting away from sharks, I suppose.

posted by owlhouse at 01:27 AM on August 03

7 Days to Start of Premier League Season

But, yay seven days!!!

posted by billsaysthis at 07:09 PM on August 02

7 Days to Start of Premier League Season

One could reasonably think that Clyne is a significant upgrade on Glen Johnson and Javier Manqiullo and so Liverpool are far less likely to be leaking goals. Not to mention no more Gerrard as DM which, club legend or not, he was a horror at last season, so again, probably less goals given.

Hard to take site called "London24" too seriously about a Liverpool player, in any case.

posted by billsaysthis at 07:09 PM on August 02

SportsFilter: The Sunday Huddle

If anyone wants a lesson on how NOT to umpire a game, Jim Wolf gave a masters class during the Blue Jays/Royals game today.

Second batter of the game, Donaldson, gets plunk in the numbers.

Wolf immediately issues a warning to both benches, which is bad news for the Jays because they have knuckleball pitcher (Dickey) starting the game, and by definition the knuckleball is supposed to be "wild". So if one of them goes off course and lightly plunks a Royal, he's gonna get tossed (as the warning indicates that any hit-by-pitches will result in an immediate ejection for the pitcher and the manager).

The next time Donaldson comes to the plate, the same pitcher then throws the ball at his head. Donaldson dives out the way, and the umpire immediately steps forward and...does nothing.

Fast forward a few innings, and now a Royal relief pitcher is in the game. He's pitching to new Blue Jays player Tulowitzki...and hits him. The home plate umpire leaps into action and...does nothing. Despite the warnings, the umpire decides not to eject the pitcher. Understandably, the Blue Jays (and their manager, John Gibbons, and their fans) go apeshit. After Tulowitzki is examined and goes to first, the next batter up is..Donaldson.

Guess what happens? The pitcher throws another one at his head. Donaldson bails out, hits the dirt, jumps up...but Gibbons has already run out of the dugout to yell at the umpire. He gets tossed.

The very next half-inning, the relief pitcher for the Jays (Aaron Sanchez) throws a pitch down the middle...for a ball. Two pitches later, Sanchez throws a ball at the feet of the batter, hitting him. Jim Wolf, in a sense of fairness not seen this side of Nero, tosses Sanchez from the game. Both benches empty as everyone on the Blue Jays side loses their fucking minds at that decision.

posted by grum@work at 06:00 PM on August 02

SportsFilter: The Sunday Huddle

The postgame of the FA Community Shield was entertaining. Jose Mourinho came out to accept the tiny runners up trophy, vigorously greeted every Arsenal player as he walked past, but he and Arsene Wenger both gave each other the cold shoulder. Mourinho then left the field, dodged a thrown water bottle and tossed the trophy into the crowd!

posted by rcade at 12:06 PM on August 02

SportsFilter: The Saturday Huddle

No no, he's not saying Madison Bumgarner is a racist...

posted by hincandenza at 12:21 AM on August 02

One of the first "villains" I ever liked in wrestling

In retrospect, I think my first inkling of adulthood (around age 13 or so) was when we decided RRP was maybe not so bad and possibly right to be making fun of the good guys in the WWF. Has anyone phoned Cowboy Bob Orton to make sure he has someone with him in this time of grieving?

posted by yerfatma at 07:53 PM on August 01

Dear Roberto,

It was fair in the sense that Clemente had an off year the year prior, but would be curious to know how it compared to what other players were making. Clemente's teammate Bill Mazeroski had a pretty awful year at the plate the year prior (.241/.283/.339 with an OPS+ of 66, compared to .296/.332/.396 with an OPS+ of 92 for Clemente -- and a much huger drop of 31 points of OPS+ from 1958 to 1959 than Clemente's drop of 3 points), but perhaps Mazeroski's much-lauded defense at a premium defensive position made up the offensive difference between him and Clemente. Hard to find salary data for back then, and the one source I found suggested Clemente's salary for 1960 held steady at $17,500 (which is inconsistent with the letter) and that Mazeroski's actually decreased, so who knows whether Clemente was getting screwed on a comparitve basis due to ethnicity or other reasons.

posted by holden at 07:52 PM on August 01

7 Days to Start of Premier League Season

I'm one of the 43% of owners who currently have Clyne, recommended in the last link and panned in this one.

posted by rcade at 06:31 PM on August 01

SportsFilter: The Friday Huddle

Much more imaginative than asshat, Owlie, I like it.

I actually came here thinking to post about Goodes, because I'm saddened by it. To paraphrase myself on the book of face, hate doesn't make you happy so stick with the things which do.

posted by billsaysthis at 06:16 PM on August 01

SportsFilter: The Saturday Huddle

Problem with his temper? Sure. Racist, not sure how you get that unless you know more than what the linked article said.

posted by billsaysthis at 06:08 PM on August 01

SportsFilter: The Saturday Huddle

Now I'm not saying Madison Bumgarner is racist, but...

posted by Ufez Jones at 12:01 PM on August 01

Dear Roberto,

It was well-written and not unfair. He did have (at the time) a down season.

posted by grum@work at 08:19 AM on August 01

Dear Roberto,

Irrespective of your opinions on the morality of the message, it was a very well-written letter.

posted by Irish627 at 12:43 AM on August 01

SportsFilter: The Friday Huddle

"Carrying on like a porkchop" = being a loud idiot for no discernible reason.

posted by owlhouse at 11:33 PM on July 31

SportsFilter: The Friday Huddle

Owlhouse: do we want to know what "being a porkchop" means?

Grum: Yep, that's the same scene that I shared on the book of faces to honor the man. Also, Lynn Anderson died today. Sad day for the old timey country fans.

posted by NoMich at 11:00 PM on July 31

RIP Roddy Piper

One of the first "villains" I ever liked in wrestling, he was always entertaining when he got in front of the mic.

Also, one of my absolute favourite movie quotes of all time:

posted by grum@work at 10:51 PM on July 31

Roger Goodell Upholds Tom Brady's 4-Game Suspension on Appeal

I just ran across this blog tonight. It is perhaps the most reasoned analysis of the whole thing. It is written by a lawyer, Steph Stradley, who is also an NFL fan. The blog article is rather lengthy, but it is worth the read, if only to see a more or less neutral view. In response to rcades comment about leaks, above, MS Stradley makes note of the leaks and puts them in the category of "a bright, shiny object" intended to distract people from paying attention to the main point of contention.

My take on the leaks is that it is a deliberate attempt by the NFL to sully the reputation of the Patriots and Brady, thus making it more difficult for them to defend themselves in the so-called court of public opinion. This string of e-mails should be indicative of the NFL's attitude during this whole thing. Admittedly this is from a Patriots' web site, but the e-mails were sent and were not edited before being published on the site. Take them for what they are.

posted by Howard_T at 10:35 PM on July 31

SportsFilter: The Friday Huddle

Sorry - can't work out how to embed that link on my tablet.

posted by owlhouse at 09:33 PM on July 31

43 Straightforward Reasons Adam Goodes Is A Bloody Legend

posted by owlhouse at 09:32 PM on July 31

SportsFilter: The Friday Huddle

I've written a lot this last week about Adam Goodes. One of the reasons I took my kids (who have Aboriginal descent via their mother) to Swans games was so they could see Goodsey play, and tell their own kids about it.

There has been a remarkable debate, and one we have to keep having, on the issue of the booing of Adam Goodes. You can search the Australian media and find some wonderful writing, and signs of hope. You can also find a pile of reactionary shit, especially from the Murdoch press and their pet columnists.

But we want Adam back on the field. So we can celebrate the athlete and the man.

posted by owlhouse at 09:29 PM on July 31

Roger Goodell Upholds Tom Brady's 4-Game Suspension on Appeal

I don't see where leaks have anything to do with Munson's legal analysis.

Brady will of course have vociferous arguments to make. He and the NFLPA have creative attorneys who have to do something aggressive with the facts available to them.

But treating "equipment violations" like a well-established category of case law that Goodell had an obligation to follow seems, to me, like one of those soft lobs a bad quarterback throws over the middle of the field that gets a wide receiver clobbered. It seems easy to counter with the argument that DeflateGate is a unique set of circumstances.

But if Brady wants to risk serving a late-season suspension and either he or the NFLPA is willing to put huge money into a lawsuit, I don't have a problem with them trying to smack down Goodell. Maybe they'll prevail.

Paragraph 3 of this comment is dedicated to Blaine Gabbert and Steve Pelluer.

posted by rcade at 06:48 PM on July 31

Russell Wilson Finally Cashes In with Seahawks

Imagine how much more he would have been paid if he hadn't thrown an interception on his last pass attempt...

posted by grum@work at 04:53 PM on July 31

SportsFilter: The Friday Huddle

Dwayne Bowe in concussion scare.

posted by yerfatma at 04:11 PM on July 31

The IOC announces Beijing as the host of the 2022 Winter Olympics.

How cold can they get the insides of those air conditioned World Cup soccer stadiums in Qatar?

posted by beaverboard at 04:06 PM on July 31

How to Create NBA Shot Charts in Python

posted by yerfatma at 03:47 PM on July 31

Who works for ESPN.

There seems to be a pattern here of sources within the NFL leaking information, both false and somewhat accurate, if incomplete, to ESPN. (Absolutely false statements about the ball pressures and an incomplete statement about Brady's 'phone records.) The tactic seems to be to get the focus placed on supposed misconduct by Brady and the Patriots, rather than any stretching of the CBA. It's a bit like handing a can of gasoline and a book of matches to an arsonist and making him promise not to start any fires.

posted by Howard_T at 03:42 PM on July 31

The IOC announces Beijing as the host of the 2022 Winter Olympics.

It's like the bad joke about Chinese food: Have the Olympics and 13 years later you want to have the Olympics again.

posted by Howard_T at 03:30 PM on July 31

There's something in the Olympic water in Rio...and it's not good.

Atlanta hasn't burned down since 1996, but I'm not sure that's an endorsement for bringing the IOC to town.

posted by yerfatma at 03:22 PM on July 31

Roger Goodell Upholds Tom Brady's 4-Game Suspension on Appeal

Who works for ESPN. That seems to be the line he and Roger Cossack are hewing to but it (as best I can tell) isn't the point. Brady's argument will be specifically that the CBA doesn't say he can be punished like this for equipment violations and that there is no prior example of equivalent punishment for non-compliance with an investigation in general or non-compliance regarding a cell phone: § Brett Favre's Willy v. cell phone camera glass, Jenn Sterger NFL, et al.

posted by yerfatma at 03:21 PM on July 31

The IOC announces Beijing as the host of the 2022 Winter Olympics.

Juliet Macur in the NYTimes:

The most obvious consequence of Friday's I.O.C. vote eliminating the annoying hurdle that the Winter Games host actually has natural snow is that it has created a precedent for holding a Winter Games almost anywhere. Imagine the possibilities.

A St. Tropez Winter Games. (Grenoble is, after all, just 140 miles away by air.) Slogan: Forget Snow, We've Got Sand.

Or Phoenix, where the luge track can run right down the side of the Grand Canyon.

Or Dubai, where the organizers have enough cash to fly everyone to the Alps for the skiing events. Then again, I take that back: People are probably skiing there as you read this, albeit inside a giant building. So bring on the Winter Games! Slogan: Keeping It Completely Indoors.

posted by Ufez Jones at 01:47 PM on July 31

Roger Goodell Upholds Tom Brady's 4-Game Suspension on Appeal

Brady has made the case for being punished over his non-cooperation pretty solid. I don't see how he gets far in court after destroying his phone on the day he did.

As for the NFL's punishment being overturned by a court, I find compelling the legal analysis offered by the lawyer and sports journalist Lester Munson. Brady's been punished under an arbitration process players agreed to in the CBA and judges don't like to open the can of worms that comes from reversing arbitrators.

It's not like Brady is suffering massive off-the-field damages here. A guy with an estimated net worth of $120 million is losing $1.88 million in pay. That sucks, but if he lost 1.5% of his net worth from a bad business investment I don't think anyone would regard it a major setback for him.

As for his on-the-field punishment, that's something the NFL is far more qualified to determine than an outside court. If the NFL considers intentionally deflated footballs below 12.5 PSI a major rules violation, I believe its authority to make that conclusion should be accepted.

posted by rcade at 01:12 PM on July 31

Roger Goodell Upholds Tom Brady's 4-Game Suspension on Appeal

Why be shocked, rcade? The NFL was dead sure that the NFLPA would follow through with its stated intention of going to court over the suspension. They filed as soon as they could in order to have the idea of "first to file" in their favor, thus having a better chance of New York being the venue for the actual hearing. The motive for doing this is that their case might not be as solid as many think. When I skimmed through the NFLPA's filing, I noted that there was precedent that precluded Brady from being punished for violations related to equipment; such violations were found to be the fault of the team and not the individual. There were also precedents that players had not been punished for "general awareness" of violations. The New Orleans "Bountygate"* and the Miami bullying** cases were specifically cited. The NFLPA is claiming that the specific punishment by suspension of Brady would be an illegal expansion of the NFL's disciplinary procedures. Much is based on "The Law of the Shop" labor practices.

*The NFLPA claims that members of the New Orleans defense other than those actually punished for offenses must have been "generally aware" of the bounty practice, but were not punished.

**Similarly, the NFLPA's claim is that in the Miami bullying case, members of the offensive line other than Richie Incognito must have been "generally aware" of the bullying and did nothing to stop it. They too were not subjected to discipline.

posted by Howard_T at 12:37 PM on July 31

CFL Pick 'Em, Week Six

Edmonton by 5

Montreal by 3

Toronto by 11

posted by jjzucal at 12:13 PM on July 31

Join SportsFilter's Fantasy Premier League

I started in the EPL's game six seasons ago. I finished in the top 10 percent worldwide in my first season. If this game had a relegation zone, we'd have been gone a while ago. Flash in the pan ... one-hit wonder.

posted by jjzucal at 12:09 PM on July 31

There's something in the Olympic water in Rio...and it's not good.

Barcelona seems to have done quite well for themselves after hosting the Olympics.

posted by grum@work at 11:59 AM on July 31

There's something in the Olympic water in Rio...and it's not good.

Only two places competed for the 2022 winter games, and it seems like the IOC was lucky to have that many interested parties.

May soon come a time when the IOC will be begging prospective host cities to bid for the games.

posted by beaverboard at 11:38 AM on July 31

SportsFilter: The Friday Huddle

Why do you boo Adam Goodes? Is it because ...

Oh, that last part of the cartoon at the bottom (white player celebrations) is gold.

posted by grum@work at 11:29 AM on July 31

There's something in the Olympic water in Rio...and it's not good.

This is horrendous. But while watching the World Cup last year and seeing the constant shots of enormous crowds on the beach, I don't recall being told that they were frolicking in sewage.

The Olympics isn't as much fun as it was in my childhood. Grafters are really good at getting their hooks into international sporting events and making them a license to drain as much public money out of a site as possible.

I wish I could believe the promises that an Olympics or World Cup will leave a country better off, with meaningful and lasting improvements to public facilities and infrastructure. How many places can even muster an argument that it was true for them, five or 10 years later?

posted by rcade at 11:16 AM on July 31

Roger Goodell Upholds Tom Brady's 4-Game Suspension on Appeal

Yes, but the league is based in New York City so that's just as reasonable a choice of venue.

I was shocked the NFL filed a suit pre-emptively to defend itself within minutes of announcing the appeal decision. Either Goodell is taking this personally or there's a bigger motive at stake, such as a chance to take the NFLPA down in a strategically advantageous way. I hope there's some investigative journalism being undertaken by an outlet with no financial ties to the NFL that will dig into why Goodell is running the league the way he is.

Another thing that baffles me is why Brady didn't just provide some text messages to the league. If he could have said "I gave the league the information it requested, after consultation with my attorney" I think he receives a two-game suspension instead of four. If he's innocent, the messages help further that claim. If he's guilty, he could have been sneaky and only provided messages that didn't show it. The league would not have been able to demand all his messages to prove he omitted some.

posted by rcade at 11:02 AM on July 31

SportsFilter: The Friday Huddle

England batting their second innings and their target is 121. They'll fuck it up, though.

Or not. Australia beaten in two and a half days, as everyone predicted after England lost the second Test by 405 runs.

James Anderson will be missing from the fourth test after he tore a muscle, so the pressure will be on for someone to step up and take Anderson's opening role alongside Stuart Broad. Finn looked great here, because it's rough to deal with a 6'6" bowler who can do 90mph, but he's had issues maintaining line and length before. If he can be consistent again, he'll take wickets just from speed and extra bounce... but we'll have to see it to believe it.

I'm ready for England to fall apart again in the next one and take it to a must-win fifth Test.

posted by Mr Bismarck at 10:59 AM on July 31

SportsFilter: The Friday Huddle

Welp, onto Trent Bridge for test 3 on August 6th.

posted by NoMich at 10:55 AM on July 31

SportsFilter: The Friday Huddle

It is 2015 and thousands of white Australians are booing an outspoken Aboriginal footballer. But don't say it's racist you'll hurt everyone's feelings - Why do you boo Adam Goodes? Is it because ...

posted by Ufez Jones at 10:26 AM on July 31

CFL Pick 'Em, Week Six

Thursday grumble grumble.

Edmonton by 12

Calgary by 3

Hamilton by 8

posted by tahoemoj at 10:23 AM on July 31

Roger Goodell Upholds Tom Brady's 4-Game Suspension on Appeal

To keep beating this horse, Chris Mortensen backed out of an appearance on Boston's WEEI today when it became obvious the hosts wanted to talk about how he got hold of the completely erroneous "11 out of 12 balls were 2 pounds light" report that sparked the whole controversy and has never been retracted by the NFL. John Dennis of 'EEI (God help me) is reporting Mike "You guys are in so much fucking trouble" Kensil was the original source, a totally unbiased former Jets employee now working for the league office.

It's been bugging me that ESPN's legal experts are so sure Brady has no chance when Mike Florio and the laywer/ commenters at deadspin feel so differently, but I am no law-talkin' guy so what can I do besides trawl Google looking for previous stories from them (ever notice how much ESPN's site sucks if you try to search by author? It's almost like they don't want their talent to ever get too big for ESPN). I came up with almost nothing from Bountygate except this really weird rant from Lester Munson about Paul Taglibue overturning the suspensions. I can't tell if it's just that Munson is a really old person or if he's carrying water for the NFL but there's something so off about it, especially since he makes reference Taglibue graduating from Georgetown, which feels like a reference to how Jesuit law schools produce good but strict/ humorless lawyers and also uses the word "pontificating" as though one could write a binding opinion without sounding like you're coming down from on high. The piece itself opens with "In 22 single-spaced pages of pedantic, pretentious and occasionally patronizing prose . . . " and expands on the theme as he goes.

posted by yerfatma at 09:59 AM on July 31

There's something in the Olympic water in Rio...and it's not good.

What a shitty situation...

posted by MeatSaber at 09:35 AM on July 31

Roger Goodell Upholds Tom Brady's 4-Game Suspension on Appeal

How does holding a hearing in it's proper place qualify as a "maneuver"?

Do you ever get tired of begging the question? Of course people try for favorable court locations. Couldn't one argue the correct jurisdiction is where the horrible crime took place, Massachusetts? One of the interesting comments from deadspin's inexplicably large pool of legal professionals in the commentariat was that the NFLPA could have petitioned the NFL took forever to address the appeal precisely so they could craft their injunction whule leaving the NFLPA scrambling. They also suggested it's uncommon for the defendant to try to force a venue.

But keep beating the drum.

posted by yerfatma at 07:57 AM on July 31

posted by NoMich at 07:55 AM on July 31

SportsFilter: The Thursday Huddle

Tell me that the fix is in, and we'll win the next Test, and it will be 2-2 going into the final one.

Winner takes all, and "greatest series ever".

posted by owlhouse at 02:01 AM on July 31

Roger Goodell Upholds Tom Brady's 4-Game Suspension on Appeal

How does holding a hearing in it's proper place qualify as a "maneuver"?

The correct statement is that Brady, The Patriots, Robert Kraft, and the NFLPA have once again failed in their latest maneuver in an attempt to avoid levied punishment for breaking league rules.

posted by cixelsyd at 12:22 AM on July 31

CFL Pick 'Em, Week Six

Edmonton by 5

Calgary by 7

Toronto by 3

posted by Reever at 10:45 PM on July 30

There's something in the Olympic water in Rio...and it's not good.

I've been worried that some kayaker will run his boat smack into a large floating hunk of hardened bikini wax during a preliminary heat.

Meanwhile, for visionaries like the Wizard of Redmond:

Thar's Gold In Them Thar Filth

(and maybe bronze and silver too)

posted by beaverboard at 09:24 PM on July 30

Roger Goodell Upholds Tom Brady's 4-Game Suspension on Appeal

That is correct. And the PA was outmaneuvered in that regard.

posted by beaverboard at 06:55 PM on July 30

Roger Goodell Upholds Tom Brady's 4-Game Suspension on Appeal

The NFLPA based its filing in MN hoping they could possibly get a judge with precedent of ruling against the NFL assigned to the case .. no other reason.

posted by cixelsyd at 05:57 PM on July 30

CFL Pick 'Em, Week Six

BC by 3; Edm by 5; ham by 3; mont by 3

posted by JPR at 04:53 PM on July 30

Roger Goodell Upholds Tom Brady's 4-Game Suspension on Appeal

The NFLPA based its filing in MN on the facts that the NFL did business there and had a franchise there. It's the same idea as suing Walmart in Detroit, for example. You would rather get a hearing there than to enter the suit in Bentonville, Arkansas. The NFL offices being in NYC is one of the reasons that the judge who initially ruled on the appeal in MN gave in his decision to move it all to NYC.

posted by Howard_T at 04:51 PM on July 30

CFL Pick 'Em, Week Six

It was nice to read that I was missed, at least by one or two, during my work camp week. Much to my disappointment, I did not get to build a deck. We did manage to put skirting on two trailers, so if any of you are living in a mobile home, I will gladly donate my labor. All I ask in return is transportation, lodging, meals, and at least one person to assist. You have to buy the materials as well. Skirting a trailer is not a difficult job, but it can be a real pain in the neck. I actually had the kids believing that one of them would have to crawl under the trailer before the last panel was installed and chase the skunks out.

So on we go to the prediction business. Having no hope of winning this thing (like I ever did anyway), I press on.

BC at Winnipeg: Blue Bombers have their star quarterback under center once again, which gives their offense a real boost. Will it be enough against a tough BC defense? In the meantime BC's offense is solid once again. This game is billed as two clubs needing a rebound. After they bounce off one another, which will be standing? BC by 11.

Saskatchewan at Edmonton: Roughriders are 0-5 to start, and now, with a quarterback making his first CFL start, they face the top defense in the league. It does not look good for the Riders. On the other hand, Eskimos have James Franklin at quarterback. Wait a minute, did they hire Penn State's head coach to play? I guess not, but Franklin did give their offence a bit of a boost. Edmonton by 16.

Montreal at Calgary: Most are picking the Stampeders to run all over the little Larks, but Calgary is a bit banged up. They have been inconsistent, and Jon Cornish is among the missing. Alouettes have played some good defense, and Cato has been efficient at QB, so there is some hope of an upset here. I shall cling to that hope. Montreal by 4.

Toronto at Hamilton: It's a quick trip along the western shore of Lake Ontario for the Argonauts. What awaits them at the end of their journey? The Tigercats and the Argonauts seem very equally matched in this one. I will go with the home team. (Do the Tigercats really play at Tim Hortons Field? Do they call the place the 'Doughnut Hole' or the 'Coffee Cup', or other such nickname?) Hamilton by 3.

posted by Howard_T at 04:47 PM on July 30

There's something in the Olympic water in Rio...and it's not good.

Next year's Olympics will be pretty interesting with contaminated water to swim in and security issues. I hope there are no major problems.

posted by JohnSoCal at 04:37 PM on July 30

Outmaneuvered?

The NFL offices are based in NY. That is where the case should take place.

Why the hell would the case be held in Minnesota where no party involved has any connection to?

posted by cixelsyd at 04:34 PM on July 30

Roger Goodell Upholds Tom Brady's 4-Game Suspension on Appeal

For anyone who cares to wade through 54 pages of legalese, it is on the NFLPA web site. To lessen the effort needed, it is at least double spaced.

I skimmed through it, and my take is that the appeal is largely based on procedure and precedent. It also makes mention of the NFL's unfortunate habit of allowing damning but inaccurate information to find its way into the media. The league is then very slow to set the record straight. NFLPA calls the report of Brady destroying his cellphone a "red herring", and maintains, as Brady did, that all of the pertinent information was available to the Wells team from the cellphones of McNally and Jastremski.

The big problem for the NFLPA is that the case has been moved from Minnesota, where the hope had been that Judge Doty, who had ruled against the NFL in the Peterson case, would be the judge. The NFL outmaneuvered them by filing in a federal court in the Southern District of NY as soon as the suspension was upheld. Thus, "prior filing" was cited and the appeal will be heard in NY. The judge slated to hear the appeal has already told the two sides to tone down the rhetoric and try to work out a mutually acceptable solution. In other words, "shut up and deal with it".

posted by Howard_T at 04:12 PM on July 30

There's something in the Olympic water in Rio...and it's not good.

Do IOC members get a special feces-free swim lane?

The maintenance crew at the Four Seasons assures me that yes, they will ensure that the pool will be kept clean. And the massage therapists will get their nails none. And the hookers will be de-loused.

posted by tahoemoj at 04:01 PM on July 30

There's something in the Olympic water in Rio...and it's not good.

Do IOC members get a special feces-free swim lane?

posted by yerfatma at 03:10 PM on July 30

There's something in the Olympic water in Rio...and it's not good.

Brazilians officials have assured that the water will be safe for the Olympic athletes. But the government does not test for viruses.

Hey, we're all friends here, right? What's a little poliovirus between friends?

AP tests found its waters to be among the most polluted for Olympic sites, with results ranging from 14 million adenoviruses per liter on the low end to 1.7 billion per liter at the high end. By comparison, water quality experts who monitor beaches in Southern California become alarmed if they see viral counts reaching 1,000 per liter.

Holy Shitsnacks.

posted by Ufez Jones at 02:59 PM on July 30

Roger Goodell Upholds Tom Brady's 4-Game Suspension on Appeal

There is no way that the carrier would hand over the information as part of some internal NFL investigation. Even if this goes to federal court, the content of those text messages (or recipients of the messages or phone calls) is irrelevant at this point. The argument is whether the punishment is fair, not whether the ruling was correct in the first place.

An appeal in federal court would be about procedure and method of rule enforcement, not the deflation issue. Cell phone records are, as you said, no longer relevant toward any appeal or legal procedure going forward. But to me, all that does is deflect the issue of Brady's culpability. Does Brady's reputation get rescued, win or lose? It didn't seem to help the bountygate players and coaches when their suspensions and punishments were overturned.

posted by NerfballPro at 02:50 PM on July 30

SportsFilter: The Thursday Huddle

It's been over 20 years...

I think that for some people, that Series still seems like it was yesterday.

(Caution, high degree of slurrage).

posted by beaverboard at 02:22 PM on July 30

There's something in the Olympic water in Rio...and it's not good.

Saw a news special on the water last night, by the pictures alone I wouldn't go near that water for any gold medal or any other reason.

posted by ic23b at 02:10 PM on July 30

CFL Pick 'Em, Week Six

Winnipeg by 8

Hamilton by 5

posted by rcade at 01:44 PM on July 30

Roger Goodell Upholds Tom Brady's 4-Game Suspension on Appeal

Brady was in drills for the first day of camp.

posted by rcade at 01:01 PM on July 30

SportsFilter: The Thursday Huddle

So Toronto pushes the last of their remaining chips into the pot by picking up David Price from the Tigers for Daniel Norris and another prospect (Anthony Alford is what I've read).

Late Edit:
It's Norris, Boyd, and Labourt.

If you are going to go for it, you might as well go all in.

If they don't sign Price to an extension, this will be a pricey rental.
If they make the playoffs (and I mean more than one-and-done wild card), then I still think it might be worth it. It's been over 20 years...

posted by grum@work at 01:00 PM on July 30

CFL Pick 'Em, Week Six

winni by 3

edi by 13

monti by 3

damn, hami by 2

GO ARGOS!

posted by argoal at 10:18 AM on July 30

Roger Goodell Upholds Tom Brady's 4-Game Suspension on Appeal

I don't know all the particulars of the suspension. Is Brady allowed to attend training camp if he's suspended?

If not, then a good plan would be to contest the ban now and get an injunction allowing him to train with the team, then drop the suit at the end of pre-season and serve the first four games.

Personally, I'd like to see Garoppolo play the away game against Buffalo. I think that would be a fair test.

The Pats catch a few scheduling breaks: not having to go to Miami in Sept. (or Jax for that matter) when daytime game temps are still in the upper 80's or worse; hosting the warm weather Dolphins at night in late Oct. and Titans in late Dec.; traveling to balmy Houston and Miami in Dec. and Jan.

If the Pats somehow won 3 of the first 4 games and Garoppolo was playing well, if I were the Pats, I would not put Brady on the field in Game 5. Have him in uniform and on the sidelines throughout the game. With no explanation what the fuck so ever to anyone. Let em wonder and let em talk. Don't announce the starter. Just send Jimmy out there without a word. Take that Pats at Colts mega rematch prime time night game national ratings blockbuster and shove it up Goodell's image and market-minded behind.

The correlation between the suspension and the season schedule is no accident. Why help the damn league coin an extra layer of money off of such a contrivance and affront?

Even have Tom warm up a few times on the sideline to get the announcers dripping saliva on their game notes, then have him go sit back down on the bench.

posted by beaverboard at 10:17 AM on July 30

SportsFilter: The Thursday Huddle

England's first innings ends quite a bit better than Australia's. However, since the latter's first innings was so horrible, the former's wasn't all that great either. As Australia begins their second innings, they trail by a measly 140 runs.

posted by NoMich at 09:47 AM on July 30

CFL Pick 'Em, Week Six

Don't worry rcade, this week is just a scheduled bye and not a team contraction — this time.

posted by DrJohnEvans at 09:23 AM on July 30

CFL Pick 'Em, Week Six

No Ottawa playing this week. Damn. I'm all about the RedBlacks. I paired their last game with Victory DirtWolf double IPA. I feel like it helped.

posted by rcade at 08:56 AM on July 30

Roger Goodell Upholds Tom Brady's 4-Game Suspension on Appeal

From Shaunessy: "Going to federal court could result in Brady serving his suspension at a more inopportune time (December?)."

I've been wondering the same thing. Isn't it a big risk for Brady to push his potential suspension deeper into a season? I'd rather have my star quarterback out to start a season than at any other point later.

posted by rcade at 08:38 AM on July 30

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

I love Abby Wambach, but the story shouldn't be that she's deciding whether to play in the 2016 Olympics. It's whether she can make the squad.

She 'clarified' some of her comments today, being sure to say, "It's not a foregone conclusion I would be chosen." Unfortunately, I don't think Ellis has the intestinal fortitude to cut Abby if she's not one of the best 18 available.

posted by goddam at 03:06 AM on July 30

CFL Pick 'Em, Week Six

Winnipeg by 10
Edmonton by 16
Montreal by 4
Toronto by 3

posted by Ying Yang Mafia at 10:37 PM on July 29

Join SportsFilter's Fantasy Premier League

I may rejoin this year. I don't think I've played since...2005 or so? This kind of thing is a bit easier to keep up with when you have a desk job.

Regardless, as a totally half-assed Newcastle fan, it's probably best I remain impartial.

posted by Ufez Jones at 09:51 PM on July 29

Roger Goodell Upholds Tom Brady's 4-Game Suspension on Appeal

Not to editorialize but I think Goodell and Brady should both sit in the corner for a year, or until they grow up and can stop acting like idiots play nice.

posted by billsaysthis at 09:26 PM on July 29

Roger Goodell Upholds Tom Brady's 4-Game Suspension on Appeal

I thought it was interesting that Boston Globe sports columnist Dan Shaunessy wrote a piece today titled Deal with it Tom Brady and the Patriots are cheaters. Looking for that link again I see the Globe is reporting that Brady has also sued the NFL in US District Court in Minneapolis on Wednesday evening, arguing that Brady's four-game suspension violates binding rulings from the Adrian Peterson lawsuit earlier this year, "and gives the back of the hand to the fundamental arbitral principles concerning procedural fairness and arbitrator bias."

posted by billsaysthis at 09:24 PM on July 29

Join SportsFilter's Fantasy Premier League

I'd already taken Clyne and Benteke, plus Couinho to make my LFC three. Also, Kane, curious to see if he can do it two seasons running. 10.5 days until Reds kick off, I might explode first (but only virtually).

posted by billsaysthis at 09:17 PM on July 29

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

Did Hazard score after that great slalom, or did Azpilecuta make an own goal? I can't tell from that video. Yuck yuck yuck.

posted by billsaysthis at 09:12 PM on July 29