Recent Comments

SportsFilter: The Thursday Huddle

Bouchard likes that Nike nightie, but you can tell other players are hating it. Ana Konjuh played Aga Radwanska in it today, put on a jacket and took it off several times and was adjusting herself between points more than a baseball player.

I'm amazed any player who dislikes it wears it anyway. Don't they have the choice to wear something else, or are they stuck with onerous contracts?

posted by rcade at 12:27 AM on July 01

CFL Pick 'Em, Week Two

Nice catch, Duron Carter!

Nice ejection, Duron Carter!

posted by rcade at 11:43 PM on June 30

Hamilton by 3

Calgary by 3

Montreal by 3

Saskatchewan by 6

posted by JPR at 10:26 PM on June 30

Ottawa by 7

Saskatchewan by 4

Hamilton by 12

Calgary by 3

posted by Reever at 10:25 PM on June 30

SportsFilter: The Thursday Huddle

Portugal become the first team to reach the semi-finals of the Euros without winning any of their games.

posted by Mr Bismarck at 10:15 PM on June 30

SportsFilter: The Thursday Huddle

Apparently, the Giants are planning to have Madison Bumgarner in the lineup tonight at Oakland. That's fun!

posted by bender at 09:13 PM on June 30

SportsFilter: The Thursday Huddle

Manziel suspended four games for substance abuse.

posted by beaverboard at 07:40 PM on June 30

SportsFilter: The Thursday Huddle

New Nike women's tennis dress: "It's basically a glorified shirt." I can't believe any women would agree to wear that while playing at Wimbledon.

posted by bender at 07:38 PM on June 30

Ottawa by 4

Toronto by 13

posted by rcade at 07:03 PM on June 30

SportsFilter: The Thursday Huddle

Isn't that what the Confederations Cup is supposed to be about?

(Australia -Champions of Asia!)

posted by owlhouse at 06:37 PM on June 30

SportsFilter: The Thursday Huddle

A plan is afoot to have the Copa winner play the Euro winner.

Why doesn't each team just send 7 or 8 guys plus one or two keepers to Ascension Island and they can go straight to a penalty shootout at the airfield and fly out shortly afterward.

posted by beaverboard at 06:19 PM on June 30

Make that all five.

posted by bender at 05:44 PM on June 30

SportsFilter: The Thursday Huddle

They have been talking about not allowing stopping and starting on penalty kick run-ups at Euro, yet I have just watched each of the first four Portuguese kick takers stop one step into their run up. What gives??

posted by bender at 05:43 PM on June 30

Euro 2016 Pick 'Em: Quarterfinals

The Gomez scores have been added.

rcade, you may want to rethink your German goal scorer.

I was feeling bullish about Griezmann scoring for Germany, but whatever. Maybe France is more his thing.

posted by rcade at 02:04 PM on June 30

Euro 2016 Pick 'Em: Quarterfinals

Oh, in previous round I picked Gomez to score for Germany, who did.

posted by rumple at 01:02 PM on June 30

Euro 2016 Pick 'Em: Quarterfinals

rcade, you may want to rethink your German goal scorer.

posted by bender at 12:38 PM on June 30

SportsFilter: The Thursday Huddle

A plan is afoot to have the Copa winner play the Euro winner.

posted by rcade at 11:53 AM on June 30

Euro 2016 Pick 'Em: Quarterfinals

Grum and Owlhouse's scores included their Rooney and Pelle goals -- I just overlooked giving them credit in the post.

Portugal 1, Poland 0 (Ronaldo)

Belgium 2, Wales 1 (Bale)

Germany 1, Italy 0 (Gomez)

France 3, Iceland 0 (Griezmann)

Yerfatma: You can pick a scorer even if predicting a 0-0 game.

posted by rcade at 11:51 AM on June 30

Euro 2016 Pick 'Em: Quarterfinals

Classless is my middle name.

Even more so when I posted it twice.

posted by owlhouse at 11:14 AM on June 30

SportsFilter: The Thursday Huddle

After hitting himself in the face with a foul ball, and then later being hit by a foul ball while sitting in the dugout, St. Louis Cardinals shortstop Aledmys Diaz is taking no chances while sitting in the dugout for this game.

posted by grum@work at 10:43 AM on June 30

Euro 2016 Pick 'Em: Quarterfinals

Poland 2, Portugal 1 (Lewandowski) I wouldn't root for Ronaldo if he somehow convinced FIFA to let him play for the USMNT.

Wales 2, Belgium 1 (Bale) Man drives the defenders to join a monastery and become ale makers. ;)

Germany 3, Italy 1 (Muller) Italy missing de Rossi is too much

France 2, Iceland 1 (Griezmann) Iceland we hardly knew ya.

posted by billsaysthis at 10:26 AM on June 30

Euro 2016 Pick 'Em: Quarterfinals

Poland 2, Portugal 1 (Lewandowski)

Wales 2, Belgium 1 (Bale)

Germany 2, Italy 1 (Muller)

France 1, Iceland 1 (Griezmann)

posted by tron7 at 10:16 AM on June 30

SportsFilter: The Thursday Huddle

The latest episode of Malcolm Gladwell's podcast is about why so few basketball players shoot free throws underhanded. Pretty good.

posted by Etrigan at 10:07 AM on June 30

Euro 2016 Pick 'Em: Quarterfinals

I think I had Graziano Pelle to score as well.

Act like you've been there before, classless.

Poland 1, Portugal 0 (Lewandoski)
Wales 1, Belgium 3 (Bale)
Germany 0, Italy 0, Italy wins in shootout (No one?)
France 2, Iceland 0 (Giroud)

posted by yerfatma at 09:16 AM on June 30

Poland 3-2 Portugal (a.e.t.), Blaszczykowski
Wales 0-2 Belgium, Hazard
Germany 1-1 Italy (Italy wins in shootout), Muller
France 2-1 Iceland, Payet

Man, I really want to pick Iceland, but I think France has the muster to finally knock them out, even if it's only on a last minute goal.

posted by bender at 08:38 AM on June 30

Euro 2016 Pick 'Em: Quarterfinals

Poland 3, Portugal 2 (Nani)

Wales 0, Belgium 3 (Lukaku)

Germany 1, Italy 2 (Pelle)

France 3, Iceland 1 (Griezmann)

posted by rumple at 12:46 AM on June 30

Euro 2016 Pick 'Em: Quarterfinals

I think I had Graziano Pelle to score as well.

Poland 0 Portugal 0. Penalties, and Poland win when Ronaldo skies one into Row Z.
The Welsh dream ends with a 1-0 loss. Lukaku has to come good at some stage, doesn't he?
Germany have never beaten Italy in a competitive international. Until now. 2-0 and Muller gets one.
France edge out Iceland in a nervy encounter. 1-0 with Griezmann to the rescue once again.

posted by owlhouse at 12:41 AM on June 30

Euro 2016 Pick 'Em: Quarterfinals

Poland 2-1 Portugal (Lewandowski - has to happen sometime)
Wales 1-2 Belgium (De Bruyne - kind of looks like Friday Night Lights-era Jesse Plemons, no?)
Germany 2-1 Italy (Muller time)
France 2-0 Iceland (Ollie G.)

posted by holden at 11:31 PM on June 29

Ottawa (the original Rough Riders) by 12

Toronto by 3

Hamilton by 17

Calgary by 4

posted by jagsnumberone at 11:28 PM on June 29

Euro 2016 Pick 'Em: Quarterfinals

I deserve some points for picking Rooney as a scorer in the England game.

Portugal 2
, Poland 1 (Ronaldo)
Belgium 3, Wales 1 (Bale)
Italy 2, Germany 2 (Eder) (Italy wins on PK)
France 4, Iceland 1 (Payet)

posted by grum@work at 10:13 PM on June 29

This

Why Montreal would trade PK just boggles my mind.

Montreal gets one of the top 5 D in the world for PK who may be in the top 15 depending on the direction of the team. Defensively Suban is a liability and doesn't fit Montreal's game. Nashville is moving towards more offense and Suban fits the scheme. Overall if Weber's game stays near or at the same level it is at for the next 4 years Nashville got hosed.

Smart move by the Bolts

Smart move by Stamkos as well. Stays with a team that pushed the Penguins this year in his absence and has a good shot next year. Gets paid in US dollars to live in Tampa and pays next to nothing in taxes. Hard to believe some "experts" figured he was a done deal to the Leafs.

Wait, those "experts" were all Toronto based media.

Hall should be a nice top line winger

Hall was a good player in a bad situation. Talk was he was the 1 untouchable in Edmonton and that Nugent-Hopkins and Eberley were available all last season. Of the 3 Edmonton traded away the best player by a long shot.

posted by cixelsyd at 08:20 PM on June 29

Euro 2016 Pick 'Em: Quarterfinals

Owlhouse wins the week. I take the lead on the Costanza.

posted by rcade at 08:09 PM on June 29

Copa America Pick 'Em Champion: Rcade

Thanks, everyone.

I had the score right for Tron7 and Goyoucolts. I just forgot to note they also picked Rojo in the results. So the standings remain the same.

posted by rcade at 08:08 PM on June 29

holden261160421
Ricardo240165405
rcade242141383
flannelenigma273273
prof237237

Results

Poland 1, Switzerland 1 (5-4 PKs)
Wales 1, Northern Ireland 0
Portugal 1, Croatia 0
France 2, Ireland 1
Germany 3, Slovakia 0
Belgium 4, Hungary 0
Italy 2, Spain 0
Iceland 2, England 1

Players who nailed games: tron7 (France/Ireland), grum@work (Germany/Slovakia), owlhouse (Wales/Northern Ireland), billsaysthis (Germany/Slovakia), rumple (Germany/Slovakia), bender (France/Republic of Ireland, Germany/Slovakia)

Scorers picked: Eden Hazard (yerfatma, billsaysthis, rcade, bender), Graziano Pelle (yerfatma, rumple, owlhouse), Wayne Rooney (owlhouse, rumple, grum@work), Jakub Blaszczykowski (rcade), Mario Gomez (billsaysthis, rumple, rcade)

Scoring

Pick the winner of each game: 50 points

Pick the score: 8 points for winner's total, 8 points for loser's total, 9 points for both being right

Pick one player per game: 4 points per goal

Games

ThursdayJune 303 p.m. EDTPoland vs. Portugal
FridayJuly 13 p.m. EDTWales vs. Belgium
SaturdayJuly 23 p.m. EDTGermany vs. Italy
SundayJuly 33 p.m. EDTFrance vs. Iceland

posted by rcade at 07:50 PM on June 29

This

1--As a Devils fan, I love this trade. Larsson never quite reached his potential in Jersey, and think both parties will benefit from parting ways. Hall should be a nice top line winger if they can assemble a center and right wing to compliment him--maybe Zajac and Palmieri?

2--I understand that Subban is a quality defenseman in the prime of his career, but is Weber so far onto the downhill side of his career that this trade is lopsided? Weber is still a legit top-four blueliner and plays with a nastiness that Subban simply doesn't have-a nastiness sorely lacking in Montreal.

3--Smart move by the Bolts. Stamkos, if he can [begin to] stay injury-free, is a legit hall of famer, and would likely have put the Bolts over the top against the Pens this spring.

posted by tahoemoj at 07:35 PM on June 29

This

I'm a Leafs fan and I'm very sad that Montreal traded PK away. I always look forward to his energy and excitement when he's playing the Leafs. Now, he's been banished to hockey purgatory in Nashville.

posted by grum@work at 07:27 PM on June 29

Montreal by 3

Saskatchewan by 7

Hamilton by 11

Calgary by 9

posted by MrFrisby at 06:59 PM on June 29

This

I got the notification on my phone, "Edmonton trades Taylor Hall to NJ...", and I was all like,"YEAH!!!" I click on the notification and read, "in exchange for Adam Larsson", and I'm all like "NOOOOOOO!!!".

It seams like a pretty good trade for both teams. Oilers need help on defense, Devils definitely need help on offense. A first overall pick for a fifth overall. You have to give to get so they say. Edmonton fans on twitter seem to think they got robbed but I think they will be pleasantly surprised.

I am not too surprised by Stamkos resigning with the lightning. They are so close to being a championship team and they are a known quantity to him.

Why Montreal would trade PK just boggles my mind.

posted by MrFrisby at 06:43 PM on June 29

ott by 4

Argos by 1

hami by 12

cal by 8

posted by argoal at 04:57 PM on June 29

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

Maybe one reason that Browns jersey got retired was that Cleveland had another piece of municipal treasure apparel coming down the pipeline.

posted by beaverboard at 02:58 PM on June 29

CFL Pick 'Em, Week Two

We're here in the White Mountains of NH on my wife's annual "decompression" trip, something she badly needs after a year of working with special needs kids in a public school kindergarten class. Any time I feel like I have it bad I just listen to her go on about a day in her classroom. It's no fun at all. Time for some predictions.

Once again last week I found myself undone by picking against Ottawa. Why do I do this? OK, I will change it up. Don't make me regret this, RedBlacks. Ottawa by 3.

Argonauts got schooled by Hamilton last week. I doubt Saskatchewan can do this, but are they all that bad? Maybe they are, and maybe Toronto needed another week to get going. Toronto by 6.

It's a cat fight in Hamilton, but the Tiger Cats are in their own litter box. The Lions might be big and strong, but Tiger cats know how to fight too. Hamilton by 17.

Stampeders were close against BC last week, and only a late TD kept Bombers in the game against Montreal (and kept me from hitting the spread exactly). Thus, I do not look favorably upon Winnipeg. Calgary by 9.

posted by Howard_T at 02:01 PM on June 29

Montreal by 8

Toronto by 2

Hamilton by 12

Calgary by 6

Glad to see that I wasn't the only one who put up a goose egg last week. Maybe my Saskatchewan relegation comment jinxed me?

posted by tahoemoj at 01:23 PM on June 29

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

"The dark cloud," Brokaw said, "has been lifted."

Am I the only one who foresees (wants to see) the dark cloud returning, and Griffin's name added as number 26?

posted by tahoemoj at 01:16 PM on June 29

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

And Manziel is not only out of the league but out of the country, texting his dad from Cabo.

And, the legendary Browns despair jersey has been retired.

(Maybe the team should permanently take # 2 out of circulation.
The QB string o' shame started with Couch and ended with Johnny Foobo).

posted by beaverboard at 12:19 PM on June 29

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

The "unbeatable Cleveland" virus has spread from one professional team to the next.

June 1 to June 11 : Lake Erie Monsters win all four games in the AHL Calder Cup finals to win the title.

June 12 to June 16 : Cleveland Cavaliers win last three games in the NBA Finals to win the title.

June 17 to June 28 : Cleveland Indians win the last 11 games they've played.

June 18 to June 25 : Cleveland Gladiators win both games they've played.

posted by grum@work at 12:06 PM on June 29

Legendary University of Tennessee Basketball Coach Pat Summitt passes away at age 64.

Truly one of the State of Tennessee's greatest daughters in its entire history.

posted by beaverboard at 10:31 AM on June 29

posted by billsaysthis at 10:15 AM on June 29

SportsFilter: The Tuesday Huddle

I will be posting a Euro 2016 update tomorrow morning ahead of Thursday's first quarterfinal.

Points for winning picks were 30 in the round of 16. My original plan was to make them 60 in the quarterfinal, 120 in the semifinal and 240 in the final (60 in the third-place game). This would put 480 points available for picking winning teams in each round until the last, when 300 is available.

Is this OK, or would players prefer a lower multiple of 1.5 or 1.75? I wanted to design the game in a way that people weren't out of it in the last two rounds because so many fewer points were available.

I agree that we want it to still be interesting in the final rounds, and that the more important games should be worth more, but it should also not be such that exceptional early picking is completely undone by missing the final pick. How about this, which adds 20, then 30, then 40:

Rd. of 16: 30 Quarters: 50 Semis: 80 Final: 120 3rd Place: 60

posted by bender at 10:00 AM on June 29

Ottawa by 16
Toronto by 9
B.C. by 9
Winnipeg by 11

This new season of coin-flip CFL picks has started off with a statistically-improbable 8 straight away picks. The odds were in my favor last week, but I'm guessing that picking against the hosts is probably not a long-term success strategy.

posted by bender at 09:48 AM on June 29

SportsFilter: The Monday Huddle

It's on all of them. Rooney was appalling, too.

Can you imagine any of the England team participating in that fantastic Icelandic slow clap along with the fans?

The crowd sang "You're not fit to wear the shirt" for a reason. There was no effort, no motivation and lots of shirking responsibility.

posted by owlhouse at 10:35 PM on June 28

Hers was a life to be emulated. Rest in peace, MS Summitt.

posted by Howard_T at 10:20 PM on June 28

Ottawa by 10
Saskatchewan by 8
Hamilton by 6
Calgary by 3

posted by DrJohnEvans at 09:55 PM on June 28

SportsFilter: The Tuesday Huddle

North Irish fans welcome home the Northern Ireland team, including a certain Forward...

posted by Mr Bismarck at 09:03 PM on June 28

She's one of the greatest basketball coaches of all time. I wasuspect very sorry to see her retire and am so sad for her family, friends and teams.

posted by Joey Michaels at 08:36 PM on June 28

SportsFilter: The Monday Huddle

Is it on Kane? Why the hell was he taking spot kicks? Guessing the same case of Hodgson's Lymphoma that put Sterling and Wilshire back on the field after they clearly proved they had no business being there.

posted by yerfatma at 08:17 PM on June 28

SportsFilter: The Tuesday Huddle

Florida State declares itself 2015 Florida state football champions and spends $62K on championship rings.

posted by Etrigan at 07:39 PM on June 28

She had one class (her last) that never went to a Final Four since the NCAA women's tournament started. One.And that class won three SEC championships.

posted by Etrigan at 07:33 PM on June 28

SportsFilter: The Monday Huddle

Ah. If only Harry Kane was half as good as he thinks he is.

posted by owlhouse at 04:11 PM on June 28

CFL Pick 'Em, Week Two

Ottawa was my muse all last season. I kept hitting those games and missing most of the others.

posted by rcade at 02:08 PM on June 28

NHL Playoff Pick 'Em Champion: NoMich

then I will puchus a crossbow instead

That requires acknowledgement. I just laughed my ass off.

posted by tahoemoj at 02:07 PM on June 28

SportsFilter: The Tuesday Huddle

posted by rcade at 02:05 PM on June 28

SportsFilter: The Monday Huddle

Darke's my favorite soccer announcer, but I thought it was overkill today. He could have talked half as much about what a disaster it was and still made the point.

Seconded on both. Given Conte's success with a "terrible" Italian team and Roy's disaster with a lot of talented England players, I think the main takeaway from this tournament will be finding a way to make coaching at the national level interesting again for the best managers. Which would also mean finding a way to swing the club/ country pendulum back toward country.

posted by yerfatma at 01:22 PM on June 28

NFL Coach Buddy Ryan Dies

I'll remember Ryan for his bounty shenanigans and punching another coach on the sideline. His defensive coaching prowess was undone in later years by his lack of self-control. I think his Eagles were a pretty good team that suffered from that trait.

It's interesting to look back at the bounty controversy and consider what Roger Goodell would have done with it. Paul Tagliabue chose not to make it a big deal.

posted by rcade at 12:41 PM on June 28

SportsFilter: The Monday Huddle

This precious stone set in the fearsome sea...

Against the envy of less solvent lands...

This vulcan plot, this pool, this moraine, this Iceland.

posted by beaverboard at 12:12 PM on June 28

NFL Coach Buddy Ryan Dies

Seems like half the 85 team is already in the afterlife waiting on Buddy to arrive. Or still here on Earth all messed up.

Like Son of Bum, a damn good DC who never should have been a HC. And always potentially toxic to a team given his zealous hatred of the offensive unit.

It'll be interesting to see how Rob and Rex coach up the Bills in his absence and under his presumed observant perch overhead.

Hopefully, people do not beat a path to Ditka's door looking for quotables. The less seen and heard from that guy the better.

posted by beaverboard at 12:04 PM on June 28

Ottawa by 5

Saskatchewan by 3

Hamilton by 9

Calgary by 13

posted by cixelsyd at 11:22 AM on June 28

SportsFilter: The Monday Huddle

I don't get England. So much talent and they did not attack the goal in the final 30 minutes, except for Marcus Rashford.

Has Harry Kane ever looked that bad kicking the ball on set pieces? There's no excuse for skying it out of bounds where no one can put a head on it.

posted by rcade at 11:08 AM on June 28

Montreal by 7

Toronto by 7

Hamilton by 17

Calgary by 17

posted by tommytrump at 09:05 AM on June 28

NHL Playoff Pick 'Em Champion: NoMich

I emailed my mailing address to Rogers yesterday, to his Gmail account, and yes, it's cool that he share it with you.

posted by NoMich at 06:55 AM on June 28

SportsFilter: The Monday Huddle

Unfolding events spurred me to do the reverse and cite Brexit as a potential factor in the result of this match in last Friday's huddle.

posted by beaverboard at 04:06 AM on June 28

Ottawa by 4

Saskatchewan by 3

Hamilton by 12

Calgary by 10

posted by ic23b at 10:48 PM on June 27

NHL Playoff Pick 'Em Champion: NoMich

Well turns out I don't have either one anymore, NoMich. I emailed rcade and requested he forward your info to me if it is okay with you. But if you are the kind of guy that turns down free food then I will puchus a crossbow instead.

posted by MrFrisby at 09:23 PM on June 27

CFL Pick 'Em, Week Two

Toronto opens the season in their new digs, but Hamilton plays the unwelcome guest with a blowout win. Winnipeg fêtes their new faces, but it's Montreal who brings the party and the win. The Grey Cup rematch is an old-fashioned barnburner, and it's Trevor Harris who seals the deal, while B.C. gets off on the right foot with a tight win over the Stamps.

HAM @ TORMTL @ WPGOTT @ EDMCGY @ BC
ResultHamilton by 22Montreal by 8Ottawa by 8B.C. by 2
Margin of Error15 to 296 to 106 to 101 to 3

Not many points handed out with three road wins, but rcade's new favourite team pays him some dividends with a spread nailed.

SpoFiteHAM @ TORSMTL @ WPGSOTT @ EDMSCGY @ BCSPointsTotal Points
ic23bHamilton Montreal10Ottawa 44
tommytrump Montreal Ottawa B.C. 33
benderHamilton Montreal Ottawa 33
rcade Ottawa8 33
MrFrisby Montreal7 22
Howard_T Montreal B.C. 22
cixelsydHamilton 11
jagsnumberoneHamilton 11
JPRHamilton 11
tahoemoj 00
Reever 00
argoal 00
DrJohnEvans 00

It's the Canada Day long weekend, so make sure to get your picks in long before you fire up your barbeques.

WEEK 2

Ottawa @ Montreal (Thursday, June 30)
The Redblacks, fresh off a 45-point game, take a drive down the 417. But Montreal's just flexed their defensive muscles, so something's gotta give.

Toronto @ Saskatchewan (Thursday, June 30)
Toronto looked pretty rough for long stretches in last week's game. But Saskatchewan looked pretty rough for all of 2015. Damien Durant is back after missing most of the last two seasons, and you can be sure all eyes will be on his reconstructed tendons and ligaments.

B.C. @ Hamilton (Friday, July 1)
The Lions are looking to redeem themselves after a lacklustre 2015 season, and put up a good show last week. But Hamilton will be a true test: they're one of the better all-around teams in the league

Winnipeg @ Calgary (Friday, July 1)
Two teams, both with high hopes after being reworked in the offseason, both coming off tough first-week losses. Something's gotta give. Unless they tie. Anyone gonna pick the tie?

Good luck!

posted by DrJohnEvans at 08:59 PM on June 27

Copa America Pick 'Em Champion: Rcade

Congrats rcade!

posted by cl at 08:49 PM on June 27

Copa America Pick 'Em Champion: Rcade

tron7 and I both picked Rojo, rcade... won't change my outcome, but looks like it'll bump tron up to second place.

posted by Goyoucolts at 08:25 PM on June 27

SportsFilter: The Monday Huddle

Does Iceland win Britain's place in the EU now?

posted by bender at 06:24 PM on June 27

SportsFilter: The Monday Huddle

But still, what a disaster. If that had happened the night before the Brexit vote it would've been cited as a factor in the outcome.

posted by rcade at 06:04 PM on June 27

SportsFilter: The Monday Huddle

What Ian Darke spewed forth throughout the second half should have gone straight into a wax-lined white paper bag with a fold over clasp at the top. A full on 48 minute call for Hughie.

posted by beaverboard at 05:12 PM on June 27

SportsFilter: The Monday Huddle

First Brexit. Now this game. If I'm a member of the English monarchy, I'd be REAL careful for the next few days. Anything that can go wrong for the English has, so far.

posted by grum@work at 05:09 PM on June 27

SportsFilter: The Monday Huddle

The "Mouse that Roared" did a bit more than that. Mouse Iceland has just taken a major bite out of the English Lion 2-1 in the Euros. I saw only the last 15 minutes or so, and the commentators were all over the English side for the ineptitude they were demonstrating. One comment was made during the tennis from Wimbledon that should England lose, they should not even bother to come home. For the "little guy" to knock off one of the giants is significant. Now if they can do the same to France, it will probably cause the earth to tilt on its axis.

posted by Howard_T at 05:00 PM on June 27

SportsFilter: The Monday Huddle

Well, I can actually enjoy the tournament now, after that hilarious clusterfuck. I guess England are really commited to pulling out of Europe.

England didn't qualify for the first tournament I saw as a kid - the '78 World Cup - but I've been enjoying this garbage for 36 years now. This should result in changes at the FA, but absolutely won't and we'll go on being an hilarious calamity at major tournaments.

posted by Mr Bismarck at 04:55 PM on June 27

SportsFilter: The Monday Huddle

I think I said that the other day when he ran over to the Irish coaching staff to celebrate their victory, (as both teams were through), that he was a really easy guy to root for, "accidental-fascism aside."

He says it was accidental and I WANT TO BELIEVE.

I'd like to see Buffon over here, but he's already 38 and he's still playing at a high enough level that he doesn't have a reason to leave Serie A. Dino Zoff was still turning out for Juventus and Italy at 41 before riding off into the sunset (with a cigarette), so it wouldn't surprise me to see Buffon do the same.

posted by Mr Bismarck at 02:33 PM on June 27

Copa America Pick 'Em Champion: Rcade

Mascherano also had a yellow, rcade. Not that it would change the result... congratulations!

Still reeling from Messi skying the PK!

posted by billsaysthis at 02:10 PM on June 27

SportsFilter: The Monday Huddle

Is there any hope that Buffon will do a retirement tour in MLS? He is such a fun character to watch play, and I'm going to take his word that he was ignorant of fascist connotations of "88" and the t-shirt.

posted by grum@work at 02:09 PM on June 27

SportsFilter: The Monday Huddle

I thought that was an excellent game, if you like things like high level technical play and adroit adoption of clever tactical plans.

Fortunately, England are up next to cleanse the palate and show everyone how football should really be played.

posted by Mr Bismarck at 01:56 PM on June 27

SportsFilter: The Monday Huddle

Watch out for snipers, Saint-Denis. Spanish and Italian players have been hitting the turf left and right. Stay safe out there!

posted by bender at 01:54 PM on June 27

Copa America Pick 'Em Champion: Rcade

I definitely agree that picking winners should be worth a good bit more than props, though doubling each round might be excessive **unless** we want to pick the entire knockout round right after group play ends, NCAA tournament style. That style adequately rewards you for correctly looking into the future through the rounds, but when we get to pick each round knowing who will be playing, doubling the scores each round favors the current round over the previous ones. I'm not saying that the points can't increase at all, but if we get to pick each round, one correct pick in the final should not get more points than 4 correct picks in the quarterfinals.

posted by bender at 01:01 PM on June 27

SportsFilter: The Monday Huddle

It was clever of Eden Hazard to take nine months off of playing football so he'd be fresh for this tournament.

posted by Mr Bismarck at 12:30 PM on June 27

Lionel Messi retires from Argentina after Copa America final loss to Chile

I think Messi will be back for the World Cup when he calms down. His choked-back tears of anguish after the final will be long remembered. It was like watching a Muppet cry.

Considering how many players lost their composure during the match, I feel like the U.S. could win a Copa if we played well and kept our heads.

There were so many dives, fouls, altercations and arguments with the ref! It made the match entertaining but I'd be embarrassed as an advocate of South American football.

posted by rcade at 12:09 PM on June 27

Copa America Pick 'Em Champion: Rcade

My first victory in a SportsFilter contest in the 14 years the site has existed. Wahoo!

I hope the scoring seemed fair to everybody. Points were doubled for picking winning teams each round after the first knockout round. The goal was to make roughly the same number of points available so that it was more competitive.

Props were kept low enough so that picking winners still mattered most. I'd like more points for goal scorers next time around.

The ref did his best to make our yellow and red card picks meaningful.

posted by rcade at 12:02 PM on June 27

holden1021146860304
prof133134267
cl11384197
wduchene138138
jjzucal135135

Results

Chile 0, Argentina 0 (4-2 PKs)

No goal scorers.

Yellow cards: Vidal (holden, billsaysthis, bender, tron7, rcade, grum@work, Goyoucolts), Mascherano (billsaysthis), Beausejour (billsaysthis), Diaz, Aranguiz, Messi, Kranevitter

Red cards: Rojo (holden, tron7, Goyoucolts), Diaz

posted by rcade at 11:55 AM on June 27

Lionel Messi retires from Argentina after Copa America final loss to Chile

I was more discouraged when Riquelme announced he was fed up with Maradona and walked off. That despite Riquelme's past history. Because he rightly called out Maradona as an illegitimate appointment. Others went along with the sham.

The Pope is unable to do anything about this sorry state of affairs at one level or another?

posted by beaverboard at 11:42 AM on June 27

Lionel Messi retires from Argentina after Copa America final loss to Chile

Agree with Bender, more likely (some of) the current AFA execs will miss out.

posted by billsaysthis at 10:42 AM on June 27

Lionel Messi retires from Argentina after Copa America final loss to Chile

I, for one, will be very surprised if he is not on the field for Argentina in Russia in 2018.

posted by bender at 10:09 AM on June 27

NHL Playoff Pick 'Em Champion: NoMich

Whoo-hoo! Hooray!! Yay me!!!

Getting the score like I did for each round (total += total), is that like hitting for the cycle in baseball?

Fritsy: I did a CD swap at two different addresses.

posted by NoMich at 09:37 AM on June 27

SpoFi NBA Playoff Pick 'Em Results

Wow, I just flat out suck when it comes to picking NBA games. Still fun, though. Thanks for doing this Ufi.

posted by NoMich at 09:32 AM on June 27

Lionel Messi retires from Argentina after Copa America final loss to Chile

Why Lionel Messi's "Retirement" Is Probably Just A Threat

posted by Etrigan at 09:24 AM on June 27

Copa America Pick 'Em: Finals

This has been a very entertaining match--particularly after halftime! It's too bad it's going to be decided on penalties.

posted by bender at 10:44 PM on June 26

Copa America Pick 'Em: Finals

That was a disgracefully weak second yellow. Two of the last three Copa America games ruined by bizarre sendings-off.

posted by Goyoucolts at 08:39 PM on June 26