Recent Comments

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

*Centers Of Vitale Induced Delirium.

lol while seeing visions of diaper dandies.

posted by Howard_T at 05:45 PM on April 08

Wimbledon Bought Pandemic Insurance

How much moneys does All-England Lawn Tennis Club earn when there is a Wimbledon tennis tournament? How do they earn that money, anyway? Is it all TV money? Enquiring minds want to know*

*Linda Tripp died of cancer today

posted by NoMich at 04:41 PM on April 08

if they hadn't canceled March Madness

1) Anyone within a 10 foot radius of Bill Raftery when a team sent the ball in to their big fella and he kissed it off the glass would have been covered in airborne droplets, regardless of whether or not they were infectious.

2) Duke and North Carolina would have been given federal COVID* designations.

*Centers Of Vitale Induced Delirium.

posted by beaverboard at 03:50 PM on April 08

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

I think most of the experts agree that the banning of large events and the lockdown policies have blunted the effect of the virus. Still, we have a long way to go yet.

Speaking of the virus, Chris Sale thinks he might have been an early victim.

posted by Howard_T at 03:15 PM on April 08

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

I can't begin to fathom how much more widespread the virus would be right now if they hadn't canceled March Madness (or had allowed the first week to happen before changing their mind).

You'd have players and fans from all parts of the continental United States all meeting up in other parts of the continental United States, mingling in close proximity to each other, and then heading back to their home towns (possibly/probably asymptomatic still), and spreading it to everyone there.

posted by grum@work at 02:30 PM on April 08

Al Kaline, Detroit Tigers legend, dies at age 85

I didn't think there could be a more compelling World Series than 1967, then the 1968 Series happened. So glad that Kaline finally got to be a part of something like that. And he made the most of the opportunity.

As kids, we went through a lot of batteries and we could buy them in more sizes than are commonly available today, such as B and C. But they were all just batteries, plain and simple. No exotic long lasting varieties. Then Alkaline batteries came out, and we were stoked because we thought they were Al Kaline autograph models. We kept looking for his signature on the packages, to no avail.

We also pronounced them as though we were saying his name.

Kid: Hey Mom, look, they're selling Al Kaline batteries. Let's get some.

Mom: No, they cost more. Regular batteries are fine.

Moms: I wish the kids would quit asking for those new Al Kaline batteries. The way they carry on about them, you'd think those batteries were better.

Dads: They are better. I just read about it in Popular Mechanics

posted by beaverboard at 03:15 PM on April 07

Al Kaline, Detroit Tigers legend, dies at age 85

posted by billsaysthis at 11:11 AM on April 07

Al Kaline, Detroit Tigers legend, dies at age 85

Howard: we always sat along side first base. We got to see Mark Fidrych pitch one year. That was something that got us kids all sorts of jazzed up for the game. I remember that being a very loooooong ride to Detroit.

posted by NoMich at 08:25 PM on April 06

Al Kaline, Detroit Tigers legend, dies at age 85

Ernie Harwell on Al Kaline

posted by NoMich at 08:24 PM on April 06

Al Kaline, Detroit Tigers legend, dies at age 85

I saw him play just once in Detroit in about 1956 or '57. We were visiting my sister and her husband. Bob, my brother-in-law was a huge Tigers fan, and my sister had adopted them in favor of her long-time favorite Braves. We were in the old Tigers Stadium sitting in the second deck right behind 1st base, really great seats to watch a game from. I remember that whenever Kaline came to bat, the crowd was really loud. I saw Kaline on televised games against Boston and on the old game of the week broadcasts, and he never disappointed his fans. Kaline has left us with many memories.

posted by Howard_T at 07:32 PM on April 06

SportsFilter: The Sunday Huddle

A few miles east of Goldfield. It's called Tonopah Test Range. You go east on US6 from Tonopah, turn south at the rocket on a stick, go another 20 miles to the gate, and it's another 5 or 6 miles to the quarters. The 20 miles from US6 to the gate was the scary part. Over several years of testing, usually a few weeks at a time once or twice per year, we managed to take out 3 wild horses and 2 range cows. In each case the automobile was totaled. I was with one of my colleagues when she took out a horse. It was not fun.

posted by Howard_T at 01:55 PM on April 06

SportsFilter: The Sunday Huddle

You were in Tonopah, 30 miles from your destination? So...Goldfield or thereabouts?

posted by tahoemoj at 05:27 PM on April 05

Record-Breaking NFL Kicker Tom Dempsey Dies

I remember seeing the kick the day it happened. The network cut into the game we were watching to show the highlight clip. We couldn't believe it. The air he kicked into looked murky and still. It was all anyone that followed sports talked about for several days.

I've always admired Elam, Prater, McManus and the other great Broncos kickers, but the outdoor kicking conditions at sultry sea level Tulane Stadium and Mile High Stadium in Denver are about as different as they could possibly be.

Dempsey also was not averse to contact and suffered multiple concussions, which it is reasonable to assume took a toll.

posted by beaverboard at 02:45 PM on April 05

Record-Breaking NFL Kicker Tom Dempsey Dies

When I was in elementary school in Richardson I would devour books from Scholastic Book Club on sports heroes. Tom Dempsey was one of my favorite subjects. Breaking a record the way he did and by such a margin was incredible.

posted by rcade at 01:57 PM on April 05

Record-Breaking NFL Kicker Tom Dempsey Dies

Of course it would be against the Lions. /sigh

' <<< that's a football flying through the air after being kicked

Tom Dempsey was one of the first sports names that I learned because of his record and his physical makeup. I was sad when his record was broken. I mean, good for Matt Prater and all since that seems like an impossible distance, but one of my first sports memories got busted on that day a few years ago.

posted by NoMich at 01:33 PM on April 05

Record-Breaking NFL Kicker Tom Dempsey Dies

'

posted by Howard_T at 01:22 PM on April 05

SportsFilter: The Sunday Huddle

we haven't even gotten to Holy Week.

Actually we have. Our Zoom service of Morning Prayer finished up about 30 minutes ago. We did the Blessing of the Palms, but the palms are in quarantine for another 12 days, so we can't get them yet. I will be very glad when we can gather again and celebrate the Eucharist together.

I have ordered a Corona only once in my life. That was in Tonopah, Nevada, and the only alternatives were Bud Light, Coors Light, and Miller Light. Would have had some whiskey, but I had about 30 miles to drive, and the last 20 of it was on a road that was only travelled at shift changes on weekdays. There were lots of open range cattle and wild horses on the road, and you wouldn't believe how invisible a brown cow can be at night with no ambient light.

posted by Howard_T at 01:20 PM on April 05

SportsFilter: The Sunday Huddle

Well, it's possible that 38% of Americans just have good taste in beer. I mean, I know that Corona beer has nothing to do with the virus currently wreaking havoc around the globe, but I am one who would never order one under any circumstances. If it's a nice sunny day and you pull one out of the cooler for me, I'd sure as hell drink it. But I'd never order it!

posted by tahoemoj at 12:04 PM on April 05

SportsFilter: The Sunday Huddle

Here's a fitting menu companion to the infamous Pizzagate affair of 2016:

CBS News reports that in a recent survey of beer drinking Americans, 38% said they would not order a Corona beer under any circumstances.

Stay safe, y'all. I guess even if it means denying yourself a Tony Romo approved beverage.

This actually might not affect Corona's quarterly figures that much, as overall March beer sales in Massachusetts were up 55%.

April is also shaping up to be a big month. And we haven't even gotten to Holy Week.

posted by beaverboard at 10:34 AM on April 05

Everything to know about the Korea Baseball Organization, which hopes to start season by early May

I'm going to root for the Samsung Lions and hope Julio Franco rejoins the team.

posted by rcade at 05:30 PM on April 04

SportsFilter: The Friday Huddle

One more thing I need to add to my random thoughts: On this date one year ago, Greg Popovic set an NBA record by being ejected just 63 seconds into a game . This record may never be broken.

posted by Howard_T at 08:09 PM on April 03

I will have to root for the team from Busan, since I have some fond memories of liberty during USS Midway port calls in Busan. Great times window shopping on Green Street and closing the bars on Texas Street. If any of you have ever pulled liberty there, you will understand.

posted by Howard_T at 05:34 PM on April 03

SportsFilter: The Friday Huddle

Some random sports thoughts while my wife goes out to pick up our free doughnuts from DDs.

On beaverboard's quiz, the answer has to be "none of the above". Joe Buck is willing to add play-by-play to the tapes, but Tim Mccarver has refused to do the analysis.

Today is the anniversary of Bobby Orr's 100th assist in the 1971 NHL season. He finished the season with 102, and the record still stands. Will any defenseman ever break it?

Trivia quiz: Who made the first 3-point goal in the NBA. Some hints: He was a reserve who averaged 10.3 ppg during his team's title run. He later coached the team he played for, as well as 2 other NBA teams and a college team.

You could look it up, but give it a try first.

posted by Howard_T at 05:22 PM on April 03

SportsFilter: The Friday Huddle

Possibly my first favorable post regarding the Patriots and Kraft ...

"Kraft came through in spectacular fashion this week, importing 1.2 million masks from China in the Patriots' jet."

Well done.

posted by cixelsyd at 01:20 PM on April 03

SportsFilter: The Thursday Huddle

I don't think Foles gave up much money. He had $20.1 million guaranteed under the Jags contract and has $21 million guaranteed. He gets years he can void and incentives that push up his current year and future years over the $8 million per year. The main thing he loses is a gaudy total number that he might never have collected anyway.

Here's one breakdown.

posted by rcade at 12:56 PM on April 03

SportsFilter: The Friday Huddle

Good news! They have decided to extend April Fools Day for several extra days to help people cope with the ongoing virus pandemic in a lighthearted, positive way.

Here's your take home test for today. Which of the following news stories is an April Fools joke?

1) The Bucs have signed Blaine Gabbert to be Tom Brady's backup

2) An Ohio bakery is selling "quarantine cakes" shaped like toilet paper rolls

3) Joe Buck refuses to add play by play sports commentary to private sex tapes

posted by beaverboard at 09:45 AM on April 03

SportsFilter: The Thursday Huddle

It was $9million, but it was definitely a pay cut from his previous seasons.

It worked out in the end...

Salaries
201839Texas Rangers$18,000,000
CareCareCare$219,140,000
Provided by Baseball-Reference.com: View Original Table
Generated 4/3/2020.

posted by grum@work at 12:41 AM on April 03

SportsFilter: The Thursday Huddle

rcade's presence as a stalwart Scot wasn't enough to keep the Jags from having to endure cap hits of $21 mil from Bortles and almost $19 mil from Foles.

With the intolerable rascal Coughlin having had a hand in both.

posted by beaverboard at 04:13 PM on April 02

SportsFilter: The Thursday Huddle

expects to opt out after an All Pro season and make even more

That's it exactly. The example that comes to mind is Adrian Beltre with the Red Sox in 2010. He had been buried in Seattle with the Mariners, and he and his agent came up with the idea of a "let me show you" year in a more visible market. I think he played on a 1-year deal for $10 million. It proved to be a huge bargain for Boston and a good move for Beltre and Houston.
There was a recent article about the decision by Boston to let him go. Some in the Red Sox organization are still kicking themselves for it.

posted by Howard_T at 03:57 PM on April 02

SportsFilter: The Thursday Huddle

I know players want to play but why would Foles give up so much money? Unless he has such self-confidence that he expects to opt out after an All Pro season and make even more, maybe?

posted by billsaysthis at 11:39 AM on April 02

That's crazy.

posted by NoMich at 10:34 AM on April 02

SportsFilter: The Thursday Huddle

In the 2020 census year, it's worth knowing that demographics can be defined by factors other than sheer numbers. For instance, identifiable attributes such as luck and thrift can be used to measure population segments.

Based on this knowledge, it is quite obvious that there are more Scots and Irish in Chicago than there are in Jacksonville.

posted by beaverboard at 08:38 AM on April 02

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

New Hampshire Interscholastic Athletic Association (NHIAA) has announced new opening dates for athletics. May 4 is the first practice date, and May 13 the first game day. This is all contingent upon the situation with Covid-19 in New Hampshire. Maybe some of my umpiring season can be saved. While I wouldn't put anything past them, I don't think NHIAA would pull an April Fools joke like this.

posted by Howard_T at 04:39 PM on April 01

MikeWiseguy:

True story: Cavs cheerleader came up to me during 96 Knicks game. Said, "Are you Mike Wise from The NY Times? OMG, I read everything you write." I went to talk to her after game and she blew me off. I walked into locker room. Patrick Ewing looked up and smiled: "April Fools."

posted by rcade at 04:10 PM on April 01

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

beaverboard, please tell us that today's date has nothing to do with the accuracy of this post. (Not bad anyway)

posted by Howard_T at 03:36 PM on April 01

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

It looks like Andrew Luck is coming out of retirement.

Great timing on his part to decide something like that in the middle of a pandemic.

It gets complicated from there:

1) He wants to play for the Buccaneers
2) He wants to be the starter - even though they recently signed Tom Brady
3) He wants to wear his usual #12 - but Chris Godwin had that number and just gave it to Brady

When asked why he wanted to play for the Bucs, Luck said: "Well, they're my first choice, but it could be any of the Florida teams. If I get re-injured and have to go to the hospital, it would be great if that happened in a state where a guy like Ron DeSantis is the governor."

posted by beaverboard at 02:33 PM on April 01

NBA.FM

That's pretty good. I don't hear sneakers squeaking on the floor, though.

posted by NoMich at 08:20 PM on March 31

SportsFilter: The Tuesday Huddle

Just think what it must have been like when the Bruins had both Tim Thomas and Rask on the roster. Between the two of them, hot air coming out high on the front end and down low on the back end. No escape possible.

posted by beaverboard at 05:39 PM on March 31

SportsFilter: The Tuesday Huddle

No, the old Garden did not have A/C. Check out the 1984 NBA Finals Game 5. Lakers-Celtics. Over 95 degrees inside the building. Rob't Parish was given a cup of water and just poured it on himself. There was a lot of extra mopping of the parquet that night.

I too have been in the old Garden right after the circus had been there. It became a legendary experience over the years.

posted by beaverboard at 05:26 PM on March 31

SportsFilter: The Tuesday Huddle

Oof. Did the old Garden have A/C? Honest question. The very first place that I ever lived in that had AC wasn't until I moved down here to Raleigh when I was 29 years old.

posted by NoMich at 04:30 PM on March 31

SportsFilter: The Tuesday Huddle

I might add one thing about odors in various sports arenas in Boston. My college graduation in 1964 was held in the old Boston Garden. The previous attraction had moved out just the night before. Friends, you have no idea what delightful smells the Ringling Brothers, Barnum and Bailey Circus left behind. Don't ever accept a job as an assistant elephant trainer.

posted by Howard_T at 04:02 PM on March 31

SportsFilter: The Tuesday Huddle

I don't have Bruins tickets; mine are for the Celtics. Having heard of Rask's flatulence problem, I think I might wait until after his retirement before I attend a game. I might have to try the bar he frequents in Newton. My son doesn't live far from there, so after the lockdowns are history, maybe we can get together for a few. Of course I will make sure the Bruins are on the road.

posted by Howard_T at 02:19 PM on March 31

SportsFilter: The Sunday Huddle

+100!

posted by billsaysthis at 11:50 AM on March 31

SportsFilter: The Tuesday Huddle

ROFLMAO!

posted by billsaysthis at 11:47 AM on March 31

SportsFilter: The Tuesday Huddle

If Howard T's tickets for Bruins home games are up high, far removed from the rink, it has nothing to do with cost and availability.

There's a much better reason behind it.

posted by beaverboard at 10:34 AM on March 31

New York Knicks Owner James Dolan Has Coronavirus

Several thoughts come to mind None of them appropriate

posted by beaverboard at 12:20 AM on March 31

SportsFilter: The Monday Huddle

Whoa!

posted by rcade at 08:59 PM on March 30

SportsFilter: The Monday Huddle

DON'T CLICK HERE "Why you look here? I'm just testing!"

Hey! That's neat. I've never seen that before.

posted by NoMich at 07:13 PM on March 30

SportsFilter: The Monday Huddle

What is the highest amount of goals scored in the NHL in a season that matches that player's jersey number? (no subscribers to The Athletic are allowed to answer this question)

Honest to goodness, I guessed the correct answer immediately, but then dismissed it because I was sure someone had scored more goals than that to match their jersey number.

I went and read the article and as it got further and further down the list of goal totals I kept muttering "No way I was right" over and over.

And behold!

For those that don't have The Athletic, click on "SPOILERS!" for the answer

SPOILERS!Auston Matthews, 34 goals, 2017-18

posted by grum@work at 06:30 PM on March 30

SportsFilter: The Sunday Huddle

And apparently his wife, who was diagnosed a few days before him, is now out of the hospital and is recovering. Hooray!!

posted by NoMich at 02:49 PM on March 30

SportsFilter: The Sunday Huddle

John Prine just upgraded from critical to stable.

If he makes it, he'll want to know that for the last 24 hours, when you type "John" into the Google search box, the top autocomplete result has consistently been "Prine". It's not even close. There's a song in there somewhere.

posted by beaverboard at 02:01 PM on March 30

SportsFilter: The Monday Huddle

I found out today I'm blocked on Twitter by sports columnist Mike Freeman. It's weird because we've never exchanged messages on there and I can't recall ever discussing him publicly. I thought during his short stint in Jacksonville over a decade ago he was kind of awful but I can't recall ever criticizing him in a public forum.

posted by rcade at 01:34 PM on March 30

SportsFilter: The Monday Huddle

Belarus defiantly keeps playing

Maybe part of the Belarus mindset is: hey, we survived Chernobyl (which is just across the border), we can handle the virus.

Tom Brady will be thrilled to reside in Tampa, where a megachurch ignored a sheriff's directive and met in large numbers for worship yesterday. The churchgoers may not have known that a 60 person choir practice in WA resulted in 45 corona cases and thus far two deaths.

Or then again, based on the way some people are responding to the virus, perhaps they did know and went ahead anyway.

a few friendly games this and last week between teams in Sweden.

Sweden is handling the pandemic differently than neighboring countries. Their version of the lockdown is less severe than Norway, Finland, Denmark, etc., so allowing friendly matches is probably within their guidelines. Their case numbers on a percentage of population basis are not that different thus far from the other Nordic countries. But if they made the wrong bet, they could turn into the New Orleans of Scandanavia. And if that happened, it would happen fast.

posted by beaverboard at 01:27 PM on March 30

SportsFilter: The Monday Huddle

posted by bender at 01:22 PM on March 30

SportsFilter: The Monday Huddle

Hilarious article

posted by NoMich at 12:13 PM on March 30

SportsFilter: The Monday Huddle

Damnit, I knew the answer (after reading The Athletic this morning).

posted by tommytrump at 12:07 PM on March 30

SportsFilter: The Monday Huddle

My soccer app shows a few friendly games this and last week between teams in Sweden. I cannot find more info on these teams; so guessing they are lower division teams.
This is all a bit scarier after I read Game Zero: Spread of virus linked to Champions League match

posted by prof at 10:58 AM on March 30

SportsFilter: The Monday Huddle

Trivia Question:

posted by NoMich at 10:56 AM on March 30

SportsFilter: The Monday Huddle

Belarus defiantly keeps playing while the rest of the sports world goes on hiatus

posted by tommytrump at 10:22 AM on March 30

Harlem Globetrotters' legend Curly Neal dies at age 77

RIP. Saw the Globetrotters at the Hordern Pavilion in Sydney circa 1974. Great fun.

posted by owlhouse at 08:09 PM on March 29

SportsFilter: The Thursday Huddle

I watched The English Game (https://www.netflix.com/title/80244928) on Netflix last weekend, very interesting short series from Julian Fellowes (Downton Abbey) about the turning point in football when payers started getting paid.

I just started watching this week. It's a bit plodding, and the characterisation is weak, but it does combine two of my favourite things: the beginning of the labour movement and football.

posted by owlhouse at 08:08 PM on March 29

SportsFilter: The Sunday Huddle

Well shit. John Prine has been diagnosed with Covid-19. This from his official Twitter account.

And here's Jason Isbell covering Prine's Hello in There. The pollen is really bad in this room right now. /sniff

posted by NoMich at 05:38 PM on March 29

SportsFilter: The Sunday Huddle

Not able to gather in worship this weekend?

Miss hearing the national anthem sung at sporting events?

This might help. Phillies content @ 2:17

posted by beaverboard at 11:04 AM on March 29

Harlem Globetrotters' legend Curly Neal dies at age 77

Meadowlark Lemon and Curly Neal were peak Globetrotter for me. I think they were probably the first professional basketball players I could identify.

posted by rcade at 10:44 AM on March 29

SportsFilter: The Saturday Huddle

I don't really know what to think about that link. I still definitely worry about the containerization and have been cleaning items like you mentioned.

I've been extra wary of pre-prepped food items lately. I have to have a high level of confidence in them before I accept them.

We're handling as much of it as we can. Oops, wrong language from prior post. Gives the impression that we're trying to physically handle the merchandise as much as possible. Meant to say we're sourcing and distributing as much food as we can. Not that we're touching it as often as possible.

For a few years now, in my own household, I've routinely stuck containers from the dairy department in the sink and hosed them down when I brought them in the house. Milk jugs, sour cream, etc. There tends to be a fair amount of dried dairy matter on the outside of those containers from shipping and warehousing etc.

I wrangle a fair number of milk crates in a given week, and some of those are walking, talking dairy residue art projects. It just takes one gallon jug leaker to muck up an entire pallet load of dairy products.

There's something very strange about watching milk seep from a leaker jug onto the conveyor belt when you're in the checkout lane. It's almost worse than if it was blood. OK, no it's not.

posted by beaverboard at 08:38 PM on March 28

SportsFilter: The Saturday Huddle

That's really cool, beaver. Good on you, brother.

Even if someone sneezes/coughs in your food while they prepare it, you won't catch the coronavirus? I mean, cool, but my mind is blown over that one. Thanks for sharing that link

posted by NoMich at 06:27 PM on March 28

SportsFilter: The Saturday Huddle

He looks like the kind of guy who would go to the Meijer on Knapp or in Cascade.

posted by LionIndex at 05:31 PM on March 28

SportsFilter: The Saturday Huddle

I read NoMich's description, clicked the link, saw the guy's name and thought - oh, this guy's gotta be from my area. Sure enough, he's from GR.

posted by LionIndex at 05:26 PM on March 28

SportsFilter: The Saturday Huddle

I run a surplus food rescue operation. We've been going extra hard this week. Using all the usual precautions.

I've been concerned about pre-prepared food. There's a lot of it out there going to waste. We're handling as much of it as we can. Here's a bit of info on that.

posted by beaverboard at 05:01 PM on March 28

SportsFilter: The Saturday Huddle

Clean those groceries as soon as you get home with them! I just did this with a buttload of groceries and it wasn't too much of a pain in the ass. And yes, I even cleaned the produce.

While I was at the store, the wife cleaned the kitchen and did the clean/dirty divide for me.

Plus, it was nice to hear that pleasant Michigan brogue again. I get homesick, no matter where in Michigan the person is from. The farther north you get, the more pronounced the accent, but hearing just a little one is good enough for me. Sometimes I listen to interviews with Iggy just to hear that fine accent

posted by NoMich at 02:45 PM on March 28

SportsFilter: The Thursday Huddle

This is where Howard meant to send us

Thanks for the correction, NoMich. I'm not always at my best at 1:30AM. The narrative account does not appear in the papers I have, and I don't remember seeing it in the hnsa site before. I will say that Frank Scanland, Hawkbill's CO, understated the history; there were some memorable moments that were alluded to but not detailed. Some day I will relate a great anecdote about Capt. Scanland.

posted by Howard_T at 03:46 PM on March 27

SportsFilter: The Thursday Huddle

Side note for Astros fans: in the movie I watched, when frogman James Garner was trying to find his way back to the sub, the men inside guided him home by rapping on the hull with a wrench.

posted by beaverboard at 12:51 PM on March 27

SportsFilter: The Friday Huddle

Brady needs to leave Brown to professionals who can help him and focus on the positives he already has in place.

He's now on the same team as Ndamukong Suh. A lot of QB's would like to be in that situation.

Come to think of it, Brady was also on the same team as Albert Haynesworth for a minute. When your goal is career longevity, you play every card you can.

posted by beaverboard at 12:45 PM on March 27

SportsFilter: The Friday Huddle

Bruce Arians: Buccaneers won't be signing Antonio Brown

posted by BornIcon at 12:04 PM on March 27

Harlem Globetrotters' legend Curly Neal dies at age 77

posted by BornIcon at 12:02 PM on March 27

Harlem Globetrotters' legend Curly Neal dies at age 77

Mike Greenberg's short, but nice commemoration of Curly Neal.

Also, I remember them coming to perform even in my tiny little Northern Michigan village back in the '70s. So much fun

posted by NoMich at 11:45 AM on March 27

SportsFilter: The Thursday Huddle

We were on Oahu a couple of months ago (hey @ufez!) and of course visited Pearl Harbor. While there we toured the docked sub from WWII and let me tell you I have no idea how anyone even my 5'8" height could manage in these tight spaces.

posted by billsaysthis at 11:27 AM on March 27

Harlem Globetrotters' legend Curly Neal dies at age 77

Loved Curly and all the Trotters. The funniest Curly memory I have is when they were playing the usual team of stiffs on the deck of an aircraft carrier. Curly went into his routine and gusts of wind were blowing across the flight deck and raising hell with the basketball, even when he was dribbling way down low. Curly went into deep improv mode and managed to keep control of the ball, but he was laughing his ass off the whole time at how ridiculous it was. But those guys played in all sorts of places and knew how to quickly adjust to the situation at hand.

posted by beaverboard at 11:23 AM on March 27

Harlem Globetrotters' legend Curly Neal dies at age 77

Man, I remember watching Globetrotters' games at the old Hartford Civic Center growing up in the 70's. The things that Curly Neal could do with a basketball were flat-out astounding, not to mention his oversized personality and magnetism as a human being on the court and off. Perhaps his finest achievement was teaming up with a rag tag band of nomadic young adults who may or may not have been high on reefer to solve mysteries (link to documentary).

Rest in peace to one of the great ambassadors of the game of basketball.

posted by tahoemoj at 11:11 AM on March 27

SportsFilter: The Thursday Huddle

Also, here is the page to the War Reports for the USS Hawksbill. Accessed from this page.

posted by NoMich at 10:21 AM on March 27

SportsFilter: The Thursday Huddle

This is where Howard meant to send us.

posted by NoMich at 10:15 AM on March 27

SportsFilter: The Thursday Huddle

I love almost any film about Navy matters, but I too often find myself picking them apart for historic accuracy. After my father-in-law died, I went through his papers, and among them were copies of the 5 war patrols of USS Hawkbill in WWII. Fred (my father-in-law) was her Executive Officer. Even in the dry language of an official US Navy document, they could curl your hair. Fred never said much about it, but it got rather scary down there at times. You can find the patrol reports of Hawkbill and nearly every WWII boat at Historic Naval Ships Association.

posted by Howard_T at 01:35 AM on March 27

SportsFilter: The Thursday Huddle

I watched Up Periscope (1959) with Edmond O'Brien, James Garner, Alan Hale, et al. I'm a fan of submarine movies. This one is good because it doesn't depict the interior of a WW II US sub as being roomy and commodious the way some other films do. It's properly cramped and stifling. But still less cramped than a U boat, which is appropriate.

If you watch a bunch of old sub movies and watch the director's cut of Das Boot, you can see all sorts of nods and references to the old films. I think Wolfgang Petersen watched every sub movie in existence while doing the research for Das Boot.

I'm also a fan of Dutch, German, and Nordic marine engineering, so I watched the raising of the Kursk in the Barents Sea. That was the damndest thing I've seen in a while, and the bigger the challenge and tighter the timeline, the more those guys wanted it. The shit they do in the shipyards and out at sea is unreal. The calm confidence and teamwork is inspiring. It's a job, and they know they can do it. If they're willing to crank day and night and endure all sorts of hazardous and adverse conditions.

posted by beaverboard at 11:59 PM on March 26

SportsFilter: The Thursday Huddle

Today I watched the highlights of Ben Stokes putting England on his back last Summer and the Cubs win game 7 vs the Cleveland baseball club to win their first World Series in 108 years.

posted by NoMich at 10:43 PM on March 26

SportsFilter: The Thursday Huddle

So where are we getting our sports fix these days? Yours truly is currently watching game 3 of the NHL East quarterfinals (Montreal vs Boston) from 2011. The hockey was good, but Jack Edwards was at his manic best. Before that it was ALCS game 2 (Detroit vs Boston) from 2013. This is the game where David Ortiz hit an 8th inning grand slam to tie the game at 5. It is best remembered for Torii Hunter going head first over the bullpen wall as he leaped to try to make the catch. The memorable picture is the police officer in the bullpen with his arms raised in celebration completely ignoring the injured Hunter. Fun stuff to awaken some old memories.

This afternoon, with nothing else to watch, I spent time watching black and white episodes of western TV series from 50 or 60 years ago. Jack Kelly as Bret Maverick and Clint Walker as Cheyenne Bodie brought me back to the days of the family gathered in front of the 19 inch black and white.

posted by Howard_T at 10:14 PM on March 26

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

Yeah man, I am most certainly not envious of *that* situation. I have a hard enough time with my *one* (now, as of today) 10 year old girl. All of her teachers have said that she is super easy to teach, but that is my experience with her. LOL

posted by NoMich at 11:42 AM on March 26

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

Wow, holden, this situation is requiring next-level parenting and glad to see you're having a sense of humor about it.

posted by billsaysthis at 10:25 AM on March 26

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

Astrodome is also an asbestos nightmare, according to what I heard on ESPN so no one can go in.

And they can't remove the asbestos because every trash barrel in the county has been pounded into submission.

posted by beaverboard at 06:42 PM on March 25

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

I do think that the Staples Center likely takes the cake, between two men's basketball teams, a woman's basketball team, hockey, plus a boatload of concerts and then the one-offs like memorial services for Nipsey Hussle and Kobe (probably no more than a couple a year, but still).

And be safe, SpoFites. Wish during this time we could watch a game together and get on the old Campfire site and have a nice running play-by-play/minute-by-minute with snarky commentary and astute social observations.

I love that all these people are all about "I'm binging XYZ on Netflix" or "I've taken up the piccolo" during this quarantime (that's a deliberate portmanteau, by the way). I've got four boys we're allegedly trying to "home school" here in Chicago (9 year-old to me the other day: "If you taught at my school you would have been fired a long time ago." Followed by 12 year-old: "That's harsh, but let's just say you're not winning any teacher-of-the-year awards") plus a job that mercifully is still keeping me busy, and I just fall into bed at midnight most nights exhausted. So hats off to those of you in different life situations for which this is a nice respite to learn/do something different, but keep in mind that there are those of us out there suffering through trying to figure out 8th grade math by watching YouTube videos on the sly so as to not admit to our children that we have basically a 7th grade (or more accurately, something south of 8th grade -- could be 5th or 6th for all I know) understanding of math.

posted by holden at 06:35 PM on March 25

Here's the FBI file on Howard T.:

- Baseball umpire
- Episcopal lay minister
- SpoFi bon vivant and raconteur
- No involvement whatsoever in Hoffa disappearance

posted by beaverboard at 05:54 PM on March 25

me too

posted by bender at 04:37 PM on March 25

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

You have it confused. I am working on my 3-point landings after falling off the bar stool as a result of too many shots. I don't do free throws. If I throw anything, I expect to get paid for it.

LOL. I actually LOLling

posted by NoMich at 02:53 PM on March 25

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

How do you say "silly mid off" in French?

posted by Howard_T at 02:45 PM on March 25

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

Apparently France is the reigning silver medalist in Olympic cricket. Congratulations to the fine citizenry of France.

posted by NoMich at 02:42 PM on March 25

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

working on his 3-point shots.

posted by Howard_T at 02:41 PM on March 25

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

Well, now that I think of it, TD Garden gets use every single day. Anytime there isn't an official event going on, Howard is there working on his 3-point shots. It's also heard that he shoots 500 free throws a night.

posted by NoMich at 02:28 PM on March 25

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

TD Garden in Boston hosts both the Bruins and the Celtics, so that's 86 nights per year of preseason and regular season games. Add the postseason (both teams were playoff teams last season and were headed there this year) and many concerts, and the usage climbs to somewhere around 100 nights per year. Staples center exceeds this I'm sure. For an outdoor venue, Gillette Stadium is used by the Patriots and the Revolution (MLS), there is also an occasional UMass game there and a few concerts. Gillette was built with private money, but received some highway improvements from the Commonwealth of Massachusetts and I think some local tax relief from the town of Foxborough.

Both TD Garden and Patriot place are also entertainment and shopping venues. There are many bars and restaurants next to the stadium in Foxborough, the obligatory pro shop and museum are there as well. Away from the stadium itself but within walking distance is a collection of mostly upscale retail stores and restaurants. When TD Garden was built, it's south wall was actually touching the north wall of the old Boston Garden. Once the old building was torn down and the site cleaned up (asbestos), Jeremy Jacobs, head of Delaware North Corp. which owns the Bruins as well as the building, began building a shopping and entertainment complex which forms the lower floors of a high-rise luxury condo complex. It's almost finished, but the main effect it has had is to make entry to the games a real mess.

posted by Howard_T at 02:20 PM on March 25

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

There's the San Diego stadium (I think it's the San Diego County Credit Union Stadium now? Used to be Qualcomm, and Jack Murphy prior to that) - aside from the various random uses that Ufez mentions, it hosts the Aztecs and the Holiday Bowl, maybe the Poinsettia Bowl, and that'd be about it. San Diego also has the old Sports Arena, which has similar random things and hosts the minor league hockey Gulls. Sounded from the articles like the Forum had been converted to strictly a music venue, and it's also a historic landmark so Ballmer won't be able to tear it down. But, him buying it removes any non-compete clauses from the building and he can build a Clippers-only arena serviced by the same parking lot.

posted by LionIndex at 12:19 PM on March 25

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

The leader in this category might be the Rams old stadium in St. Louis, which is empty and still being paid for by the city.

FWIW, the Dome does still get some use for large concerts, monster truck rallies, auto shows, large conventions, and most recently XFL games which were selling out (lower bowl only) consistently until the shutdown.

posted by Ufez Jones at 11:55 AM on March 25

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

I wish Ballmer had found a way to keep his foot on Dolan's neck

Alas, the neck beard does not provide much traction.

posted by tahoemoj at 11:12 AM on March 25