Recent Comments

SportsFilter: The Friday Huddle

I love Jon Miller calling baseball. When I used to gorge on MLB Audio I sometimes listened to Giants games just for him.

I just found out that in 1978 when Miller was 26, he was hired by Texas to replace the great Dick Risenhoover who was terminally ill. The Rangers lost Miller a season later to Boston.

I was an every-night listener to Rangers games on WBAP back then at age 11. Miller imprinted himself on my brain even as I forgot he ever called the team.

posted by rcade at 08:48 PM on August 17

Winnipeg by 10

Toronto by 4

Edmonton by 23

Saskatchewan by 6

posted by tahoemoj at 12:41 PM on August 17

CFL Pick 'Em, Week Ten

Howard_T, I look forward to a half-season's worth of snarky comments!

Winnipeg by 9

Winnipeg by 3

BC by 6

Edmonton by 10

Calgary by 9

posted by jagsnumberone at 12:57 AM on August 17

CFL Pick 'Em, Week Ten

Since I have not been able to do the deep research needed to make my picks (Translation: I can't find the coin that I flip), I have submitted no entry for the past two weeks. Thus, I have become ineligible for the most coveted Costanza, and any hope I had of a place on the podium vanished in week 1. Please remove me from the standings. I reserve the right to chip in with a snarky comment on occasion.

posted by Howard_T at 10:11 PM on August 16

CFL Pick 'Em, Week Ten

B.C. keeps things interesting with a strong second half for a win against Edmonton. Winnipeg grabs a big lead and holds off the comeback for the win. Montreal is not so lucky as Ottawa rides a big fourth quarter to the comeback win.

EDM @ BCHAM @ WPGMTL @ OTT
ResultB.C. by 8Winnipeg by 6Ottawa by 7
Margin of Error6 to 104 to 85 to 9

jags ekes out the margin point in the Winnipeg game to pad his lead ever so slightly.

SpoFiteEDM @ BCSHAM @ WPGSMTL @ OTTSPointsTotal Points
ReeverB.C. Winnipeg Ottawa 324
JPR Winnipeg Ottawa6323
rcade Ottawa 121
bender Winnipeg 120
jjzucal 016
Howard_T 021

A Friday start! What year is it?

WEEK 10

Ottawa @ Winnipeg (Friday, August 17)
I'm not too sure what to make of Ottawa. They're not bad! But not great. And I'm not sure "not great" gets it done in Winnipeg.

B.C. @ Toronto (Saturday, August 18)
Your guess is as good as mine!

Montreal @ Edmonton (Saturday, August 18)
In games against Western Division opponents, Montreal has been outscored 164-74. And that includes a week 3 win!

Calgary @ Saskatchewan (Sunday, August 19)
If anyone can put a stop to Calgary's unbeaten streak, it's Your Boy Zach Collaros. This may be the sleep deprivation talking.

Good luck!

posted by DrJohnEvans at 09:55 PM on August 16

Andrew McCutchen Re-Enacts Dodgers-Giants Brawl

Puig suspended for two games

posted by NoMich at 05:25 PM on August 16

SportsFilter: The Thursday Huddle

Heading to parts unknown so submitting my CFL picks early. Can someone move these for me when the pickem is up tomorrow?

WPG by 7

EDM by 9

BC by 7

CAL by 13

posted by cixelsyd at 05:20 PM on August 16

Andrew McCutchen Re-Enacts Dodgers-Giants Brawl

If you're gonna have a brawl, it's always good to have guys named Panik and Belt involved.

posted by beaverboard at 02:51 PM on August 16

Andrew McCutchen Re-Enacts Dodgers-Giants Brawl

He's too funny with his play by play on the "brawl".

posted by BornIcon at 01:43 PM on August 16

Andrew McCutchen Re-Enacts Dodgers-Giants Brawl

'Cutch is a damn treasure. Even when the Pirates and Reds were both competitive and had a bit of a 'rivalry' a few years back (was it really just back in '11 and '12?!), I found it very difficult not to cheer for 'Cutch when he wasn't playing Cincy.

posted by tahoemoj at 11:47 AM on August 16

SportsFilter: The Thursday Huddle

double-posted for some reason.

posted by billsaysthis at 11:12 AM on August 16

SportsFilter: The Thursday Huddle

If the NFL and NBA and MLB can play outside, so can La Liga. No definitive plans announced yet but the first edition could come this season in partnership with Relevent, who run the big money International Champions Cup.

posted by billsaysthis at 11:12 AM on August 16

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

He's a philosopher, Yerfatma, what did you expect?

posted by billsaysthis at 11:06 AM on August 16

Andrew McCutchen Re-Enacts Dodgers-Giants Brawl

A) Is this another one of old timey baseball's unwritten rules? That you are not allowed to be upset with yourself for wanting that pitch back?

2) McCutchen's video is hilarious. Especially comparing an outfielder's arrival time to a brawl with that of a kid's late arrival at a fun birthday party.

posted by NoMich at 09:10 AM on August 16

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

My son and I have watched Liverpool lose many times " to Sevilla in the 2016 Europa League final, to A.C. Milan in the 2007 Champions League final. And we will lose again. The important thing is being together when we do. Soccer teaches you the value of solidarity.

Imagine how solid and centered I must be as an Everton fan you navel-gazing halfwit.

posted by yerfatma at 10:52 PM on August 15

CFL Pick 'Em, Week Nine

DrJohn, I think I might've only scored 3 points last week??

tommy, you are right! But so is the total. Copy/paste error. You scored 3 points for a total of 27.

posted by DrJohnEvans at 09:54 PM on August 15

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

Here's a tidbit for our Liverpool devotees at SpoFi.

Hopefully the NYT paywall won't intrude on the reader experience.

posted by beaverboard at 12:58 PM on August 15

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

Don't know if I posted this before, but there's one very good reason to go to Reddit: /r/filthypitches (which is about baseball, not sales).

posted by yerfatma at 11:20 AM on August 15

Join SportsFilter's Fantasy Premier League

Everyone laughed at me when I started Joe Hart over Ederson (I expected Arsenal to score). I'll accept the Burnley clean sheet, thank you very much!

posted by jjzucal at 09:28 PM on August 14

SportsFilter: The Monday Huddle

Now this is a brutal way to lose a baseball game.

Plays like this are why I like working middle school baseball.

posted by Howard_T at 08:43 PM on August 14

How to Watch European Soccer on TV

I usually think building stadiums isn't a great use of public funding but Coors is perfect for Denver. It's the beating heart of downtown all summer and the fans show up even when the team is bad. You can get in for relatively cheap, all the sight-lines are great and if you're seats are in the sun you can watch a couple innings from the concourse. You're nearly guaranteed to see a great sunset over the front range. And yet, here I am, not caring enough about MLB to go.

posted by tron7 at 11:56 AM on August 14

How to Watch European Soccer on TV

Tron7: I'm surprised you live so close to Coors and have escaped baseball's clutches. That place is a palace.

When I lived in Denver in the mid-1990s I worked at a cable company's website in the Tech Center. Half the office had the games on the radio every day. The city was mad for the Rockies.

posted by rcade at 08:57 AM on August 14

How to Watch European Soccer on TV

We subscribe to Hulu Live TV and that includes NBC Sports Channel, CBS Sports Channel, FS1, and all of the ESPN channels. It also includes the local Fox Sports channels for my Hurricanes games. If you're an NBA fan, it also includes TNT. That and ESPN/ABC will get you a lot of NBA games. I suppose my local Fox Sports channel shows all of the Hornets games if I was so inclined to watch that dreck.

posted by NoMich at 10:00 PM on August 13

SportsFilter: The Monday Huddle

A walk off strike out? Crazy

posted by NoMich at 06:12 PM on August 13

How to Watch European Soccer on TV

Beaverboard, I have a few thoughts on what you have just posted. First of all, even in my younger days, the early morning edition did not have the late results. One had to wait for the later editions, or even the now extinct afternoon papers. On line versions give you the scores, but the agate type with the team standings and individual batting averages, RBI, and HR numbers are very hard to come by without some digging. Maybe one of our talented SpoFites could start a site that features such information.

A friend of mine shares season tickets to the Red Sox with a number of other guys. He brought me to a game this year, and it was the first time I had been in Fenway Park in about 20 years. Much has changed, most for the better, but the seats out in right field are still set up for watching the center fielder. My back hurt for 3 days from the twisted position. The ticket prices are much higher than other MLB teams.

I have the 2nd tier DirecTV service, and it includes all of the national network sports channels (NBC, CBS, Fox, ESPN); the NFL, MLB, NHL, and NBA channels; as well as the local Boston cable sports channels, NESN and NBC Sports Boston. It's enough to satisfy my appetite, although there are a few things I miss. My only problem is when Liverpool play the Sunday morning (Eastern Time zone) games. I'm usually in church until after 10, and about every 3 weeks, when I am serving, I'm not home until about 1:30. Maybe I'll write a nasty letter to the Premier League.

posted by Howard_T at 05:40 PM on August 13

SportsFilter: The Monday Huddle

Now this is a brutal way to lose a baseball game.

posted by bender at 04:37 PM on August 13

How to Watch European Soccer on TV

I'm in the same situation as tron and even worse than not knowing why, I really don't care why. The thrill is gone. I used to follow MLB closely, wringing my hands because the in-print morning newspapers (remember them?) on the east coast didn't carry the box scores of west coast games from the previous night until the following day.

I go past Fenway Park all the time but haven't been inside the place since 1985. When Oil Can Boyd was the ace of the staff, saints preserve us.

They've done well for themselves since then so I tell people I stay away as a service to the franchise.

If they win it again, they won't be riding the choppy Charles in no Duck boats now.

posted by beaverboard at 04:30 PM on August 13

How to Watch European Soccer on TV

I moved to a city with a MLB franchise and lost interest. I've been puzzling over what exactly happened to make my interest in MLB plummet over the last decade or so. I still love the sport, still play baseball, and still love to talk about baseball but can't be bothered to watch MLB until the playoffs. I could comfortably bike to Coors field but go to less games a year than when I had to travel 4 hours to the stadium. I have no explanation.

posted by tron7 at 12:56 PM on August 13

SportsFilter: The Monday Huddle

I did not see the match, but I was wondering the same thing. It was the 95', so maybe they thought that the whistle was about to blow? Even so, that is a huge gamble in a level match.

posted by bender at 09:12 AM on August 13

SportsFilter: The Monday Huddle

Incredible. Why would DC United push the goalie up in a 2-2 match?

P.s. Orlando City is cursed.

posted by rcade at 08:48 AM on August 13

SportsFilter: The Monday Huddle

Wayne Rooney makes a game-saving tackle in front of an empty net and then fires across a perfect cross for the game-winner at the other end.

posted by bender at 08:17 AM on August 13

SportsFilter: The Monday Huddle

Gunners Become All Kroenke
- Putin Pal Takes Powder

posted by beaverboard at 06:02 AM on August 13

How to Watch European Soccer on TV

What's annoying me just this moment is ESPN is showing the Spanish SuperCup on ESPNNews channel but no English commentary. How much more would it cost to have it from two guys in the studio when they're also showing it on ESPN Deportes for the Spanish market/SAP?!?!

But also, Turner Broadcasting is dreaming if they think they'll get Americans to subscribe to their streaming channel just to get Champions League and Europa League. I'll just be sure to go to watch in some bar when Liverpool aren't on free to me.

posted by billsaysthis at 05:02 PM on August 12

SportsFilter: The Sunday Huddle

Athletics in the Angels Outfield

posted by beaverboard at 03:22 PM on August 12

How to Watch European Soccer on TV

I had really been taking for granted the availability of EPL, FA Cup, Champions League, and Europa League the last several years. This is disappointing news, but the media landscape is always evolving, so I shouldn't be surprised.

posted by sbacharach at 02:52 PM on August 12

SportsFilter: The Sunday Huddle

Wow indeed.

posted by tommytrump at 01:30 PM on August 12

SportsFilter: The Sunday Huddle

Perfect

posted by NoMich at 11:17 AM on August 12

SportsFilter: The Sunday Huddle

Wow.

posted by rcade at 10:40 AM on August 12

CFL Pick 'Em, Week Eight

I don't know how he was missed. I was on the road but I packed the banhammer.

posted by rcade at 09:56 AM on August 12

How to Watch European Soccer on TV

I have Comcast Xfinity and NBC Sports Gold for the Premier League, WatchESPN for MLS and an expensive yearly iFollow pass to watch Sheffield Wednesday on the team's website. I thought BeIN Sports had the FA Cup but this link says no one does. Bummer. I watch a little Champions League and Bundesliga (primarily for Pulisic) and sometimes watch El Clasico, but haven't been enough of a regular fan to fork over more money.

Soccer is definitely my favorite sport to watch, passing the NFL. I grew up with baseball as a solid number one, but having no team in my city has broken its hold on me.

posted by rcade at 08:52 PM on August 11

Ottawa by 10

posted by rcade at 06:21 PM on August 11

Gilbert Arenas vs. Javaris Crittenton

Trump cards, fits of pique...I thought this here was a sports site.

We tar shack country Catholics used to play a card game called euchre-whist. When you combined it with grain alcohol and smoked mullet on Friday nights it was known as the 8th sacrament.

posted by beaverboard at 06:59 PM on August 10

Gilbert Arenas vs. Javaris Crittenton

A $1.5 million pot too rich for you, grum?

posted by NoMich at 03:58 PM on August 10

Gilbert Arenas vs. Javaris Crittenton

I grew up playing this on trips as a kid to visit family in Louisiana and summer vacations with that extended family in northwest Florida. It is similar to euchre (and other trick-taking games, for that matter), although with full deck, more intuitive ranking of trump cards (2 through A, as opposed to trump suit Jack and same color other Jack as top two trumps), and the whole betting/pot aspect plus trade-ins of cards.

We played for pennies and I do remember my sister swiping all of her pennies off the table onto the floor in a fit of pique after a particularly involved series of hands - I guess the 10 year-old's version of threatening to shoot some one.

posted by holden at 03:58 PM on August 10

Gilbert Arenas vs. Javaris Crittenton

Great story, and the card game sounds like a fun one to play...on slightly lower stakes, of course.

posted by grum@work at 03:38 PM on August 10

Gilbert Arenas vs. Javaris Crittenton

The card game sounds a lot like euchre

posted by NoMich at 03:14 PM on August 10

SportsFilter: The Friday Huddle

Someone want to renew the EPL fantasy league? First game starts in about 2 hours (3:00 p.m. ET).

posted by holden at 12:54 PM on August 10

How the Delmon Young Draft Pick Worked out for Tampa Bay

Hak-ju Lee, who never made it to the majors as a Ray and left as a FA

Man, I remember wasting a couple of years of control on him for my perpetual fantasy baseball team. I was so sure he was going to make it.

Somewhat related to this article, there is a Blue Jays analysis web site that has an interesting tree design to show you how all the players currently on the 40-man roster for the Blue Jays.

posted by grum@work at 09:23 AM on August 10

Edmonton by 6
Winnipeg by 14
Montreal by 11

posted by bender at 11:34 PM on August 09

Winnipeg by 9

Ottawa by 21

posted by cixelsyd at 11:22 PM on August 09

CFL Pick 'Em, Week Nine

Ottawa by 6; Edmonton by 2; Wpg by 3.

posted by JPR at 09:50 PM on August 09

BC by 3

Winnipeg by 14

Ottawa by 18

posted by Reever at 09:50 PM on August 09

Edmonton by 10

Winnipeg by 3

Ottawa by 4

posted by scooby10672 at 08:13 PM on August 09

SportsFilter: The Thursday Huddle

The Gretzky trade to LA happened 30 years ago today.

posted by NoMich at 08:09 PM on August 09

How the Delmon Young Draft Pick Worked out for Tampa Bay

Article could have been written by grum. Fun read.

posted by holden at 07:26 PM on August 09

posted by yerfatma at 12:48 PM on August 09

Edmonton by 4

Winnipeg by 6

Ottawa by 21

posted by ic23b at 12:32 PM on August 09

SportsFilter: The Thursday Huddle

The idea we might be seeing the end of Felix Hernandez makes me sad. And old.

posted by yerfatma at 09:58 AM on August 09

Edmonton by 3

Winnipeg by 7

Ottawa by 24

posted by jagsnumberone at 04:16 AM on August 09

Edmonton by 14

Winnipeg by 13

Ottawa by 12

DrJohn, I think I might've only scored 3 points last week??

posted by tommytrump at 10:20 PM on August 08

Edmonton by 12
Winnipeg by 12
Ottawa by 12

posted by DrJohnEvans at 09:12 PM on August 08

CFL Pick 'Em, Week Nine

It's the MBT show as Toronto's new starter caps a spectacular comeback against The Redblacks. Edmonton comes out on top in a back-and-forth battle with the Riders. Hamilton scores 50 in Montreal, while Calgary keeps cruising.

OTT @ TORSSK @ EDMHAM @ MTLBC @ CGY
ResultToronto by 1Edmonton by 7Hamilton by 39Calgary by 9
Margin of Error1 to 15 to 927 to 316 to 12

Another week, another leader!

SpoFiteOTT @ TORSSSK @ EDMSHAM @ MTLSBC @ CGYSPointsTotal Points
Reever Edmonton5 Calgary10621
rcade 020
JPR Edmonton Hamilton Calgary 320
bender Edmonton 119
jjzucalToronto Edmonton Calgary 316
Howard_T 013

Good news guys, Calgary gets a week off to rest their weary limbs and get a mental break.

WEEK 9

Edmonton @ B.C. (Thursday, August 9)
Has the West division turned into a battle for second place? Edmonton would beg to differ - they're only 4 points out of a tie for first.

Hamilton @ Winnipeg (Friday, August 10)
Ladies and gentlemen, may I present the league's highest-scoring team: the Winnipeg friggin' Blue Bombers?!

Montreal @ Ottawa (Saturday, August 11)
The Ottawa "First By Default" Redblacks host the Montreal "WTF" Alouettes. Who will start at QB for Montreal? And, does it matter?

Good luck!

posted by DrJohnEvans at 09:12 PM on August 08

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

That takes me back to the wonderful days of little league

posted by NoMich at 07:21 PM on August 08

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

Csar Hernndez circles the bases on a bunt thanks to Diamondbacks' errors.

posted by bender at 05:15 PM on August 08

SportsFilter: The Tuesday Huddle

Blackhawks great Stan Mikita dies at 78: 'He was hard-working. He was unselfish. He was a superstar.'

posted by tommytrump at 06:37 PM on August 07

SportsFilter: The Monday Huddle

"Urban, are there ever moments where you wish you could just walk away from the uproar and go back to Florida?"

"No, not really"

posted by beaverboard at 07:42 PM on August 06

SportsFilter: The Monday Huddle

Can someone renew the EPL Fantasy League?

posted by yerfatma at 02:17 PM on August 06

SportsFilter: The Sunday Huddle

"You want fries with that?"

posted by yerfatma at 02:16 PM on August 06

CFL Pick 'Em, Week Eight

How has our boy johndd110 escaped the banhammer to date?! Also, dumbfuck forgot to attach his spam link to the latest post. At least be good at it.

More importantly, regression to the mean is a bitch.

posted by tahoemoj at 12:23 PM on August 06

SportsFilter: The Sunday Huddle

That's a delicious sounding throwing motion

posted by NoMich at 06:01 PM on August 05

SportsFilter: The Sunday Huddle

It doesn't look like the Ravens have done anything about Lamar Jackson's throwing motion thus far.

He still looks like he's pushing a large potato into a wood fired oven.

posted by beaverboard at 04:27 PM on August 05

SportsFilter: The Saturday Huddle

Saturday cookie fortune:

He who falls asleep on the couch watching ESPN on Friday night will wake up at 2am to find Stephen A Smith hollering massively extended shit about Urban Meyer without pausing to breathe.

posted by beaverboard at 04:13 PM on August 04

SportsFilter: The Friday Huddle

As of the close of the currency exchange last night, Alouettes are paying about one draft choice per interception for Manziel.

posted by beaverboard at 03:36 PM on August 04

SportsFilter: The Friday Huddle

Johnny Manziel's first CFL pass

Things didn't change much through the rest of Johnny's 1st start.....

posted by tommytrump at 11:09 AM on August 04

SportsFilter: The Friday Huddle

Mike Sherman's gotta be wondering why he took the Alouettes gig.

posted by beaverboard at 11:05 AM on August 04

SportsFilter: The Friday Huddle

Johnny Manziel's first CFL pass.

posted by rumple at 02:20 AM on August 04

NBA signs deal with MGM to be gaming partner

Just have to cope.

posted by yerfatma at 02:44 PM on August 03

SportsFilter: The Friday Huddle

Sports broadcaster Dale Hansen, a fat, white guy in a deep red state,' is an unlikely liberal hero (WaPo)

posted by rumple at 01:27 PM on August 03

ham by 4;

Ottawa by 5;

Edmonton by 3;

cal by 4.

posted by JPR at 10:33 AM on August 03

SportsFilter: The Thursday Huddle

File under: motor sports, martial arts, riflery.

I enjoy watching movies at the time of year that they're set in. This month, my annual thrill is seeing Day of the Jackal for the umpteenth time.

I can smell the exhaust from the vehicles and taste the food. Even though it's set in the 1960's it was shot in the 1970's and has a lot of 70's vibe to it. I was lucky enough to be in Europe in the summer of '71. This movie feels like home on a period culture basis.

Usually, you have to pay to view online, but for the patient and frugal, there's currently a free version chopped into 2 dozen short autoplay segments up on YT.

posted by beaverboard at 06:58 PM on August 02

Ottawa by 3
Edmonton by 14
Montreal by 15
B.C. by 12

posted by bender at 05:33 PM on August 02

CFL Pick 'Em, Week Eight

Last season: cruising with the front pack.
This season: trailing well behind the peloton.

Toronto by 5