Recent Comments

SportsFilter: The Sunday Huddle

Who won the NBA playoffs pick em?

posted by NoMich at 11:50 AM on June 24

SportsFilter: The Saturday Huddle

As a Hurricanes fan, I'm very happy with this deal. Noah Hanifin has tremendous upside, but as my more knowledgeable hockey friends tell me, the guy doesn't have much hockey sense. Lindholm is, well, whatever, just meh. Both guys are going to be RFAs and frankly, whatever they're going to get, they won't be earning it.

Who knows, maybe they will both realize their potential one day, but I don't think that's going to happen under Bill Peters. I think the biggest positive impact on the Hurricanes so far this offseason is Peters walking away from the team.

posted by NoMich at 04:53 PM on June 23

SportsFilter: The Saturday Huddle

Calgary Flames trade Hamilton, Ferland, Fox to Carolina Hurricanes for Hanifin, Lindholm

posted by tommytrump at 03:49 PM on June 23

SportsFilter: The Saturday Huddle

Ilya Kovalchuk returns to NHL with L.A. Kings in 3Yr/$18.75M deal

posted by tommytrump at 03:46 PM on June 23

SportsFilter Needs a Password Change Form

It would be great if you created the ability for members to change their passwords easily for better security, as this is something I've asked for last year. Thanks Argoal

posted by argoal at 02:52 PM on June 23

Edmonton by 10
Calgary by 11

posted by DrJohnEvans at 10:00 PM on June 22

Montreal by 4.

Calgary by 10.

posted by rcade at 08:17 PM on June 22

SportsFilter: The Friday Huddle

posted by yerfatma at 11:38 AM on June 22

SportsFilter: The Thursday Huddle

Ah yes, the famous Group of Dead

posted by cixelsyd at 10:20 AM on June 22

SportsFilter: The Friday Huddle

Kudos to VAR on the striking of the Neymar penalty just now!

posted by bender at 09:36 AM on June 22

SportsFilter: The Thursday Huddle

Yeah, the winner of honorary consolation game for finalists from the previous WC now in turmoil plays the winner of the US, Italy, Netherlands, and Chile group.

posted by prof at 09:32 AM on June 22

SportsFilter: The Thursday Huddle

Is there an honorary consolation game for finalists from the previous WC now in turmoil?

posted by beaverboard at 05:13 PM on June 21

CFL Pick 'Em, Week Two

Sask by 3; Wpg by 3; Edm by 4; Cal by 5.

posted by JPR at 05:01 PM on June 21

Sask by 5

Winnipeg by 10

Hamilton by 3

Calgary by 6

posted by Reever at 05:00 PM on June 21

SportsFilter: The Thursday Huddle

I wonder how many of those ARG fans booked hotel rooms for an extra week. Man, that's a long way to travel to see your team get beaten up and (probably) eliminated from the tournament.

posted by grum@work at 04:05 PM on June 21

SportsFilter: The Thursday Huddle

Working theory: one of Willy Caballero's legs is longer than the other which is why he regularly tops the ball like that.

posted by yerfatma at 03:23 PM on June 21

Saskatchewan by 15

Ottawa by 10

Edmonton by 6 (the "Johnny Football" Football Show will not be seen on ESPN this week)

Toronto by 5

posted by jjzucal at 02:39 PM on June 21

Saskatchewan by 1
Winnipeg by 15
Hamilton by 19
Calgary by 17

posted by bender at 01:20 PM on June 21

CFL Pick 'Em, Week Two

Wow!!! I'm off to a really good start this season. As an old friend used to say, "Things are always darkest just before they turn completely black." So I remain optimistic.

Speaking of black, the RedBlacks go into action tonight. Things will not be black, the red will prevail, and it will be Ottawa by 6

Les petite oiseaux let me down last week. I will give them another chance. Montreal by 12

Will there be tons of fun for kitty cats in Alberta? Nope. Edmonton by 14

Edmonton by 13

Calgary by 22

posted by jagsnumberone at 04:16 AM on June 21

SportsFilter: The Tuesday Huddle

Cap space

And some draft picks.

San Jose is well positioned to make a run at a big ticket free agent to add to a team that looked pretty decent last year. Quite the move by the SJ management.

Ottawa blew this deal, but Melnyk could care less as he has yet again reduced the payroll. He 'll get a further reduction shortly when Karlsson walks. Amazing how quickly a Cup contending team can be dismantled by bad ownership.

Brings back memories of the game where Darryl Sittler ripped the "C" off of his uniform ....

posted by cixelsyd at 05:06 PM on June 20

In its typical invocation, chemistry is a cop-out

I have watched a lot of baseball from on the field over the past years. In that time I have seen perhaps 3 or 4 games each season that are decided by a fluke event or series of events, and which the weaker team won. I have seen line drives down the lines that had they stayed in play would easily have been home runs turn into a 2-base award because they rolled out of play. I have taken hits away from batters and called them out because they made contact with their foot completely outside the batter's box. The worst one was a perfect throw to the plate that would have been a sure out on the potential winning run struck a bat that had been dropped by the batter in front of the plate. The ball could not be handled by the catcher, the play would have been the final out of the game, and the team that should have won did not. Beisbol she is a funny game.

posted by Howard_T at 04:12 PM on June 20

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

Iran and Spain
Stays mainly in the plain

Not fit to watch for the most part.

Where there is surplus sand, there will be shameless sandbaggers.

posted by beaverboard at 03:15 PM on June 20

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

posted by yerfatma at 02:56 PM on June 20

Saskatchewan by 14

Winnipeg by 10

Edmonton by 10

Calgary by 9

posted by cixelsyd at 12:26 PM on June 20

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

posted by yerfatma at 10:59 AM on June 20

SportsFilter: The Tuesday Huddle

Step two: upgrade your facilities

posted by beaverboard at 09:18 PM on June 19

Ottawa by 6

Winnipeg by 4

Edmonton by 10

Calgary by 13

posted by tahoemoj at 07:14 PM on June 19

SportsFilter: The Tuesday Huddle

Clever of the Russians to manage their WC performance enhancement program so that they aren't the only ones overachieving.

Step one: make sure the drinking water looks like the urine samples.

posted by beaverboard at 04:59 PM on June 19

SportsFilter: The Tuesday Huddle

Is the Russian/Egypt match an "upset", given the home team advantage in these things?

posted by grum@work at 04:58 PM on June 19

SportsFilter: The Tuesday Huddle

England v Australia: Hosts make record 481-6 in third ODI, that is a lot of runs for an ODI alright! Not sure how Aussies are done after six but just goes to show you should always bat first when you win the coin toss.

posted by billsaysthis at 04:50 PM on June 19

SportsFilter: The Tuesday Huddle

Three games, three upsets, can't remember that happening in any recent WC.

posted by billsaysthis at 04:48 PM on June 19

SportsFilter: The Monday Huddle

Mo Salah was not fun to watch today, that's for sure, aside from winning the penalty. What a gloomy result.

posted by billsaysthis at 04:48 PM on June 19

Barry Trotz just Zidane'd the Washington Capitals.

Considering how Netflix are making it rain in Hollywood you'd expect Leonisis to give Trotz the $$$. Silly him

posted by billsaysthis at 04:46 PM on June 19

Ottawa by 16

Montreal by 4

Hamilton by 9

Toronto by 8

posted by tommytrump at 03:45 PM on June 19

Saskatchewan by 3

Winnipeg by 4

Edmonton by 6

Calgary by 13

posted by ic23b at 01:46 PM on June 19

SportsFilter: The Tuesday Huddle

I can see what Ottawa gets out of that shipment, and I can see what Florida gained, but it looks like San Jose just got rid of Boedker.....

Cap space.

posted by tommytrump at 01:21 PM on June 19

CFL Pick 'Em, Week Two

Starting the season earlier has its downside (winter isn't quite done in Winnipeg) but despite multiple delays, Edmonton finishes strong to knock off the Bombers. Saskatchewan holds off a late surge to send the Argos packing. Calgary finishes strong in their home opener, and so do the Lions.

EDM @ WPGTOR @ SSKHAM @ CGYMTL @ BC
ResultEdmonton by 3Saskatchewan by 8Calgary by 14B.C. by 12
Margin of Error2 to 46 to 1010 to 188 to 16

A tidy first week for jags, nailing the Edmonton win and collecting four additional points.

SpoFiteEDM @ WPGSTOR @ SSKSHAM @ CGYSMTL @ BCSPointsTotal Points
ReeverEdmonton Calgary B.C. 844
rcadeEdmonton Calgary13B.C. 44
argoalEdmonton Calgary B.C. 33
Howard_TEdmonton 1222
JPR Calgary B.C. 22
bender 00

It's week two, which means that nobody has been eliminated from playoff contention yet. Check back next week.

WEEK 2

Saskatchewan @ Ottawa (Thursday, June 21)
Saskatchewan is coming off a strong first week, while it seems like Ottawa's barely even played a down yet.

Winnipeg @ Montreal (Friday, June 22)
If you're starting a rock band this summer, I regret to inform you that the name "The Drew Willy Reunion" is already taken.

Hamilton @ Edmonton (Friday, June 22)
I've been running this pick 'em for fourteen years and I've never once referred to HAM-EDM games as the Two-Ton Matchup. Why? Cite specific sources.

Calgary @ Toronto (Saturday, June 23)
When placing bets, be aggressive on the length of the pre-game 2017 Grey Cup highlight reel montages.

Good luck!

posted by DrJohnEvans at 12:52 PM on June 19

SportsFilter: The Tuesday Huddle

Hmm. I can see what Ottawa gets out of that shipment, and I can see what Florida gained, but it looks like San Jose just got rid of Boedker, a valuable role player, in return for a prospect and some picks. Although the tweet from Travis Yost was corect that the Sharks got more for Hoffman than the Sens did. Is there anything I should know about Cody Donaghy?

posted by tahoemoj at 12:14 PM on June 19

SportsFilter: The Tuesday Huddle

Senators trade Hoffman to Sharks, San Jose flips him to Florida for picks

posted by tommytrump at 11:43 AM on June 19

Barry Trotz just Zidane'd the Washington Capitals.

Trotz is a great coach. He just won a cup with a group beyond its prime that even team management had targeted for rebuild. And Washington offers him a $300K increase?

There are a number of teams where he would be an upgrade that are currently paying their coaches 2 to 3 times what Trotz would make with that increase.

posted by cixelsyd at 10:56 AM on June 19

SportsFilter: The Monday Huddle

I don't know why this is, but I have something of a real dislike for Harry Kane. It might be that he has been ceaselessly promoted as the next great star for England, or maybe it's because he plays for Tottenham, but I don't much care for him. While he has shown to have real skills, I don't think he quite lives up to his star status. Because of this I cannot bring myself to root for England. No doubt my United Empire Loyalist ancestors who were run out of New York in 1783 are rolling in their graves because of this. My mother's ancestors were Portuguese, so even though they fled Portugal during the Inquisition (they were Jewish), it's still our original European country. The other rooting interest is Egypt. We lived there for about 3 1/2 years, made some good friends, and have some good memories. Mo Salah is fun to watch too.

posted by Howard_T at 10:10 PM on June 18

Barry Trotz just Zidane'd the Washington Capitals.

Barry Trotz informed the organization today of his decision to resign as head coach of the Washington Capitals.

Can I just say that the dual nature of the word "resign" makes this a very entertaining sentence to read without further context?

posted by bender at 06:13 PM on June 18

SportsFilter: The Monday Huddle

It matters not so much who Donovan supports. What is really key at Fox Sports is that anyone granted the privilege of having their voice heard on air be obliged to feverishly support England and be so overjoyed at a victorious result that they can barely keep the post-game analysis within the confines of journalistic composure.

But this is not a new development...

posted by beaverboard at 05:58 PM on June 18

Barry Trotz just Zidane'd the Washington Capitals.

If he goes to NY, someone will nickname him Benedict Amtrak.

posted by beaverboard at 05:45 PM on June 18

SportsFilter: The Monday Huddle

Looks like Kalinic of Croatia has been banished from the squad after refusing to go on a sub in the 88th minute, claiming a bad back. Drama.

posted by Fat Buddha at 04:46 PM on June 18

Barry Trotz just Zidane'd the Washington Capitals.

Statement from Barry Trotz.

One possible reason.

An extension of that reason.

The rumour is that the Islanders are going to open up their wallet and pay him close to $5million/yr to coach their team.

posted by grum@work at 04:08 PM on June 18

SportsFilter: The Monday Huddle

I've collected enough jerseys now that I have one for the following World Cup teams:

- Germany (pure white with a 2014 WC champion patch)
- Denmark ("Danmark", the first national team jersey I ever owned)
- Mexico (the gorgeous 2014 WC green one with the red/white lightning bolts)
- Portugal (from a while back)
- Argentina (also from a while back, with the thick blue/white vertical stripes)

So I'm going to tend to pull for those teams. :)

In general, I'm going to pull for the underdog in 90% of the group matches...except against England. As a Canadian, this is the closest I can get to a "my team" in the World Cup.

posted by grum@work at 04:02 PM on June 18

SportsFilter: The Monday Huddle

Kane's performance today is the purest definition of "right man in the right place".

posted by grum@work at 03:51 PM on June 18

SportsFilter: The Monday Huddle

Who won the NBA pick em contest?

posted by NoMich at 12:46 PM on June 18

SportsFilter: The Monday Huddle

The timing of Donovan doing that commercial is nice, given the ongoing demonization of Mexico and Mexicans in this country by Trump and his enablers. For that reason I'm willing to give him a pass.

posted by rcade at 11:45 AM on June 18

SportsFilter: The Saturday Huddle

Maybe it was because I only caught the last 30 minutes of the match, but I loved that dude. I fell apart when he called the Peruvian coach "Steven Tyler".

posted by yerfatma at 10:43 AM on June 18

SportsFilter: The Monday Huddle

I like the Egyptian team, not as polished as the Euro and S. American sides, but lot o' heart and hustle. With or without Salah, I enjoy watching them.

Overall, the surprising results thus far - Iceland, Mexico, Switz. - have been energizing.

posted by beaverboard at 10:20 AM on June 18

SportsFilter: The Monday Huddle

I have a list of teams I am supporting more than others this WC, Mexico is not near the top of that list. With Donovan playing his club ball in Mexico, it probably was not a stretch for him, but I can definitely see his teammates side.

On the flip side of commercials and the USMNT not making the WC, Volkswagen commercials with other "countries" telling viewer why to cheer for their team are amusing.

Iceland not having enough fans to do the wave, and disclaimer at bottom of screen for Germany, "Do not drive while eating or holding a sharp object." give me a chuckle.

posted by prof at 09:57 AM on June 18

SportsFilter: The Sunday Huddle

A lot of brewer's relief has happened like that over the years.

Of course it would have to be against the Phillies.

posted by beaverboard at 09:00 AM on June 18

SportsFilter: The Monday Huddle

So Landon Donovan thinks US fans should cheer for Mexico, and several of his former USMNT teammates weren't having it.

As a fan of US soccer, I'm not cheering for our chief rival Mexico. I don't think I care that Landon Donovan is cheering for Mexico--particularly since he is from southern California--but the USMNT's all-time leading goal scorer making a commercial about it is across the line.

posted by bender at 08:53 AM on June 18

SportsFilter: The Sunday Huddle

Milwaukee Brewers reliever has less than pleasant inning of work today NSFWS (not suitable for weak stomachs)

Final Stat Line 1 I 2 H 1 ER 2 ML (Meals Lost)

posted by tommytrump at 06:26 PM on June 17

SportsFilter: The Sunday Huddle

Imagine how hard that would have been if it was an Alouette's fan...

posted by grum@work at 04:01 PM on June 17

SportsFilter: The Sunday Huddle

Hit of the game

posted by tommytrump at 03:44 PM on June 17

Phil Mickelson Finds New Way to Keep Putt on the Green

Are they under a water usage restriction in the Hamptons? Or do they want the greens to look as though Woody Guthrie put an Oklahoma Dust Bowl curse on them? I don't want the greens to look like Amen Corner. I just want them to look like they don't need to see a dermatologist.

It is so jarring when Fox switches from the World Cup to US Open coverage. I like to watch golf, but after watching the WC games, the moment the Open comes on my first and only thought is: who the hell wants to watch this right now?

posted by beaverboard at 08:48 PM on June 16

SportsFilter: The Saturday Huddle

I started to like Perez-Navarro's insanity after a while. He's everybody's overexcitable soccer friend.

posted by rcade at 07:37 PM on June 16

SportsFilter: The Saturday Huddle

I enjoyed the hell out of Perez-Navarro, tbh. But I get it. I have a deep-seated disliking for Jeff Van Gundy that very few people agree with.

FWIW, if you want to see who is calling which game during group play, you can find the full listings here (pdf warning).

posted by Ufez Jones at 02:14 PM on June 16

SportsFilter: The Saturday Huddle

Australia should've had a point, they were worth it, but you can't give Pogba a sniff at a half decent chance in the 88th minute either.

posted by billsaysthis at 01:58 PM on June 16

SportsFilter: The Saturday Huddle

Argentina has one star and a collection of not quites. Seriously, when four defenders collapse on Messi how do de Maria, Aguero, #13, and Biglia not find space for good shots?

posted by billsaysthis at 01:57 PM on June 16

SportsFilter: The Saturday Huddle

Today is my first time ever hearing Perez-Navarro call a soccer match. It is unbearable. How does this guy have a major league gig?

At the suggestion of my doctor, I'm going into a dark room with some amber liquid and a bucket of ice to listen to clips of Ray Hudson, John Madden, and Ralph Kramden.

posted by beaverboard at 01:36 PM on June 16

SportsFilter: The Friday Huddle

When Ronaldo says that people hate him because he's so damn good , he has it almost right.

Everything but the "because" part.

posted by beaverboard at 05:05 PM on June 15

SportsFilter: The Friday Huddle

There are not enough accolades in the English, Portuguese, or Spanish languages to describe what Ronaldo has done in this match. His equalizer in the 88' was something out of a video game.

Match just finished at 3 - 3. Non-stop action, incredible goals, and some fascinating tactical soccer. This should have been a final.

posted by Howard_T at 03:52 PM on June 15

SportsFilter: The Friday Huddle

David Degea just let in what looked like a mistake. Don't be too hard on him; replay showed the ball came in with no spin and took a slight deflection to Degea's right before he tried to stop it. He appeared to be a baseball catcher trying to block a knuckleball in the dirt. It ain't so easy.

posted by Howard_T at 02:53 PM on June 15

SportsFilter: The Friday Huddle

So major error on my part thinking that CR7 would start the tournament off slow ' 2 goals at halftime makes my Silva pick look foolish

posted by prof at 02:52 PM on June 15

SportsFilter: The Friday Huddle

Bombers last 6 hours to lose to the Eskimos 33-30 in the final seconds

posted by tommytrump at 02:12 PM on June 15

SportsFilter: The Friday Huddle

It breaks my heart when smaller teams lose games in the World Cup because of own goals.

posted by grum@work at 12:58 PM on June 15

SportsFilter: The Friday Huddle

It's gorgeous, but is it a "stadium"? I don't see any seats.

posted by tahoemoj at 12:45 PM on June 15

SportsFilter: The Thursday Huddle

The Toronto Maple Leafs and Marlies general manager

posted by tommytrump at 12:22 PM on June 15

SportsFilter: The Friday Huddle

What a shot!

posted by rcade at 11:57 AM on June 15

SportsFilter: The Friday Huddle

This Norweigan football stadium is one of Bing's image subjects for today.

posted by beaverboard at 10:30 AM on June 15

SportsFilter: The Thursday Huddle

Now imagine how things would be if the Maple Leafs won a championship...

posted by grum@work at 12:13 AM on June 15

The 14th Annual chicobangs Memorial SpoFi CFL Pick 'Em

Wpg by 4; Tor by 3; Cal by 4; BC by 4.

posted by JPR at 10:32 PM on June 14

The 14th Annual chicobangs Memorial SpoFi CFL Pick 'Em

Edmonton by 13. You're not in South Dakota any more, Chris Streveler.

Toronto by 9. Because my late grandmother's nurse was James Wilder Jr.'s aunt (and presumably still is).

Calgary by 13. I did not have Calgary by 59 last year.

British Columbia by 6. The Alouettes, like the Jaguars, always suffer out west.

Ottawa by infinity.

posted by rcade at 08:24 PM on June 14

World Cup Pick 'Em Contest: Win a World Cup Match Ball

1. Pick the two teams that will advance out of each group (5 points each).
Group A: Russia, Uruguay
Group B: Portugal, Spain
Group C: France, Denmark
Group D: Argentina, Nigeria
Group E: Brazil, Switzerland
Group F: Germany, Mexico
Group G: Belgium, England
Group H: Senegal, Japan

2. Pick a player in each group and get 1 point for each goal he scores.
Group A player: Edinson Cavani
Group B player: Ronaldo
Group C player: Mbappe
Group D player: Messi
Group E player: Neymar
Group F player: Lozano
Group G player: Kane
Group H player: James Rodriguez

3. Pick the team that will score the most goals in the group stage (5 points). Brazil
4. Pick the team that will allow the least goals in the group stage (5 points). Germany
5. Pick the total number of red cards in the tournament (closest 3 get 5, 3 and 1 points, respectively). 9
6. Pick the total number of 0-0 scores in regulation in the tournament (closest 3 get 5, 3 and 1 points, respectively). 2
7. Pick a team that will score a goal in every match they play (penalty kicks excluded) (5 points). Brazil

posted by BruceBanner at 06:59 PM on June 14

The 14th Annual chicobangs Memorial SpoFi CFL Pick 'Em

Edmonton by 10

Toronto by 3

Calgary by 4

BC by 8

posted by Reever at 04:47 PM on June 14

The 14th Annual chicobangs Memorial SpoFi CFL Pick 'Em

footballs back! Yee ha!

Eddie by eight

Argonauts by a field goal

stamps by eight

Lions by six

posted by argoal at 04:25 PM on June 14

World Cup Pick 'Em Contest: Win a World Cup Match Ball

Not sure why I thought this started tomorrow but this is after game 1 so you can take or leave my Group A points.

Group A: Uruguay, Egypt, Salah

4. Pick the team that will allow the least goals in the group stage: England

5. Pick the total number of red cards in the tournament: 7

6. Pick the total number of 0-0 scores in regulation in the tournament: 7

7. Pick a team that will score a goal in every match they play: Brazil

posted by tron7 at 02:29 PM on June 14

The 14th Annual chicobangs Memorial SpoFi CFL Pick 'Em

I submit the following as I ponder the possibility of Dr. John imposing a 20% tariff on points earned by those of us from the USA.

He who has one clock always knows the time. He who has 2 clocks is never sure. So it is with quarterbacks. Nonetheless, Edmonton by 8 .

It is a really interesting year in sports for the big town on the lake. Toronto by 17

Tigercats look to be ready to pounce on some people. Hamilton by 6

Does "BC" stand for British Columbia or Being Confused? Montreal by 12

posted by Howard_T at 01:55 PM on June 14

World Cup Pick 'Em Contest: Win a World Cup Match Ball

I'd like to amend my answer for #4: it should be "Pick the team that will allow the fewest goals in the group stage: Uruguay".

posted by yerfatma at 01:44 PM on June 14

The 14th Annual chicobangs Memorial SpoFi CFL Pick 'Em

Wait until Johnny learns how wonderful is Edmonton in October (BRRRR)!

Edmonton by 9

Saskatchewan by 12

Manziels by 6 (as per TSN/ESPN demand to league office)

British Columbia by 16

posted by jjzucal at 12:16 PM on June 14

World Cup Pick 'Em Contest: Win a World Cup Match Ball

Group A: Egypt, Uruguay. Salah.
Group B: Portugal, Spain Ronaldo
Group C: France, Denmark Eriksen
Group D: Argentina, Croatia Messi
Group E: Brazil, Serbia Neymar
Group F: Germany, Sweden T Mueller
Group G: Belgium, England Lukaku
Group H: Senegal, Colombia Mane

3. Pick the team that will score the most goals in the group stage: Brazil

4. Pick the team that will allow the least goals in the group stage: Germany

5. Pick the total number of red cards in the tournament: 5

6. Pick the total number of 0-0 scores in regulation in the tournament: 4

7. Pick a team that will score a goal in every match they play: Brazil

posted by billsaysthis at 12:03 PM on June 14

World Cup Pick 'Em Contest: Win a World Cup Match Ball

Group A: Egypt, Uruguay. Salah.
Group B: Portugal, Spain. Ronaldo
Group C: France, Denmark. Eriksen
Group D: Argentina, Nigeria. Messi
Group E: Brazil, Costa Rica. Jesus
Group F: Germany, Mexico. Timo Werner
Group G: Belgium, England. Lukaku
Group H: Senegal, Colombia. Mane

3. Pick the team that will score the most goals in the group stage: Belgium

4. Pick the team that will allow the least goals in the group stage: Uruguay

5. Pick the total number of red cards in the tournament: 6

6. Pick the total number of 0-0 scores in regulation in the tournament: 3

7. Pick a team that will score a goal in every match they play: Belgium

posted by yerfatma at 11:25 AM on June 14

SportsFilter: The Thursday Huddle

Why did Robbie Williams just flip off the television audience at the end of his performance during the World Cup opening ceremony?

posted by rcade at 10:53 AM on June 14

4. Pick the team that will allow the least goals in the group stage:Brazil

5. Pick the total number of red cards in the tournament: 7

6. Pick the total number of 0-0 scores in regulation in the tournament:5

7. Pick a team that will score a goal in every match they play: Portugal

posted by jagsnumberone at 02:34 AM on June 14

World Cup Pick 'Em Contest: Win a World Cup Match Ball

Pick the two teams that will advance out of each group (5 points each).

Group A: Russia, Uruguay.

Group B: Portugal, Spain

Group C: France, Denmark

Group D: Argentina, Croatia

Group E: Brazil, Switzerland

Group F: Germany, Sweden

Group G: Belgium, England

Group H: Poland, Colombia

2. Pick a player in each group and get 1 point for each goal he scores.

Group A player: Luis Suarez

Group B player: Cristiano Ronaldo

Group C player: Griezman

Group D player: Messi

Group E player: Neymar

Group F player: Thomas Muller

Group G player: De Bruyne

Group H player: James Rodriguez

3. Pick the team that will score the most goals in the group stage: Germany

4. Pick the team that will allow the least goals in the group stage: Senegal

5. Pick the total number of red cards in the tournament: 10

6. Pick the total number of 0-0 scores in regulation in the tournament 6

7. Pick a team that will score a goal in every match they play: Germany

Post your picks in this discussion.

posted by CathcartTowersHotel at 01:43 AM on June 14

LEAST GOALS: Uruguay

RED CARDS FOR TOURNAMENT: 4

0-0 SCORES (ROUND 1): 1

GOAL IN EACH MATCH: Germany

posted by HopeD at 11:48 PM on June 13

World Cup Pick 'Em Contest: Win a World Cup Match Ball

1. Pick the two teams that will advance out of each group (5 points each).

Group A: Egypt, Uruguay

Group B: Portugal, Spain

Group C: France, Peru

Group D: Argentina, Croatia

Group E: Brazil, Switzerland

Group F: Germany, Mexico

Group G: Belgium, England

Group H: Poland, Colombia

2. Pick a player in each group and get 1 point for each goal he scores.

Group A player: Suarez

Group B player: Ronaldo

Group C player: Griezman

Group D player: Higuain

Group E player: Neymar

Group F player: Lozano

Group G player: Kane

Group H player: Lewandowski

3. Pick the team that will score the most goals in the group stage (5 points).

Argentina

4. Pick the team that will allow the least goals in the group stage (5 points).

Spain