SportsFilter: The Friday Huddle:
A place to discuss the sports stories that aren't making news, share links that aren't quite front-page material, and diagram plays on your hand. Remember to count to five Mississippi before commenting in anger.
posted by huddle to general at 06:00 AM - 11 comments
Assuming Mookie Betts gets on base today to tie the minor league record for consecutive games reaching base, all three players who hold the record will have played for the Portland Sea Dogs during their runs. And while all three will have been members of the Red Sox organization, only two were when they played for the Sea Dogs.
posted by yerfatma at 08:28 AM on May 16
Sepp Blatter: Oh, Qatar is too hot in summer.
posted by bender at 09:35 AM on May 16
"You know, one makes a lot of mistakes in life." Yeah, but typically if one does that in a high-profile job, one gets to be zero pretty quickly.
posted by yerfatma at 10:15 AM on May 16
Especially when said mistakes are blatantly obvious to all observers and called out before they are even made.
posted by bender at 11:06 AM on May 16
Yeah, when the negatives are obvious, pointed out ahead of time and occur exactly as predicted, then you're not in the realm of "making mistakes" anymore.
posted by Etrigan at 11:08 AM on May 16
So, tell us Sepp, how do you feel about all those suffering for your mistake?
posted by kokaku at 11:17 AM on May 16
"The technical report indicated clearly that it was too hot in summer, but despite that the executive committee decided with quite a big majority bag of money that the tournament would be in Qatar."
posted by grum@work at 01:11 PM on May 16
Sir, that is a vile slander that I cannot allow to stand. The royal family of the grand emirate of the State of Qatar would never stoop to handling crass, filthy "bags of money" when there are elegant, anonymous Swiss banks right down the street from FIFA headquarters.
posted by Etrigan at 02:27 PM on May 16
Julio Franco to play in minor league game...at age 55.
In case you were wondering, he last played a major league game in 2007...at age 48.
He will have played professional baseball in 5 decades.
Stupid trivia time (assuming things don't change):
- He'll have played professional baseball during the terms of 6 different presidents, of which all but two of them were in office for 8 years.
- Saint John Paul II reigned as Pope for over 26 years, died, was beatified 6 years after his death, and then was declared a saint three years after that....and Julio Franco was playing professional baseball before any of that happened.
- Twenty-six nations have gained sovereignty since Franco's first professional baseball game.
- He was traded for a player younger than him, who went on to play for another 10 years...but has now been retired for 22 years.
- During his MLB career, he batted against a pitcher born in 1938, and against a pitcher born in 1985.
posted by grum@work at 01:19 AM on May 17
never stoop to handling crass, filthy "bags of money"
Would have also accepted, "Excuse me, that is a custom Louis Vuitton trunk of money."
posted by yerfatma at 03:19 PM on May 18
By custom do you mean double wide pallet?
posted by billsaysthis at 03:32 PM on May 19
You're not logged in. Please log in or register.
Copyright © 2015 SportsFilterAll posts and comments are © their original authors.