FanDuel - WFBC

March 14, 2011

Montreal Police Investigate Chara Hit: Montreal police have started a criminal investigation into the on-ice hit by Boston Bruins defenseman Zdeno Chara that gave Montreal Canadiens left wing Max Pacioretty a severe concussion and cracked vertebra. Chara was not suspended for the hit.

posted by rcade to hockey at 03:23 PM - 9 comments

This is a sham investigation.

The only reason they are doing it is to stop people from calling them to tell them to do it. It seems that some radio station told people to call the cops and tell them to investigate. Sadly, they didn't provide a proper phone number, so the numbnuts listening in (and their friends they tweeted/f'booked it to) decided to use the 911 number instead.

I'm pretty sure they'll announce their investigation has been completed around the time between game 2 and game 3 of the first playoff round for the Montreal Canadiens. At that point, no one will give a crap any more (too busy watching playoffs) and it will fade away into the background.

The result of the investigation: no charges will be laid against Chara.

posted by grum@work at 02:59 PM on March 14

although one item that could be interesting is that if the standings remain the way they currently stand, the first round matchups would have the Bruins and the Habs playing each other.

Now my question is when did the Bruins grow a spine? The team that let Matt Cooke lay out one of their guys last year wouldn't have made that hit.

posted by Demophon at 03:48 PM on March 14

I'm glad it's happening. I don't expect it to come to anything, but it might force the NHL to pull its collective head from its ass before someone gets killed.

posted by wfrazerjr at 06:01 PM on March 14

Does anybody else realize how protected players are compared to the good Old Time Hockey? When Gordie Howe got his head split open in the Toronto-Detroit playoff series in 1950, did Detroiters run to DPD? Since the lockout, it's a much faster paced game. Players do not need to be coddled like children. They know how to handle themselves and those who don't should be playing in the minor leagues.

posted by astachur at 06:32 PM on March 14

but it might force the NHL to pull its collective head from its ass

Why would this be different from every other time this has happened in the last 30 years? I've been watching hockey almost that long and I can think of a half dozen examples at least.

posted by yerfatma at 08:02 PM on March 14

I'm glad it's happening. I don't expect it to come to anything, but it might force the NHL to pull its collective head from its ass before someone gets killed.

Second that, but I doubt anything will come of it.

Heard on a radio show after the Chara episode that the NHL benefits financially when these events occur because they create a spike in attendance and television viewer market for an otherwise non-relevant sport in most US markets. Sad.

It's left to the players themselves to have respect for their opponents well being. Fortunately 95% of the players honor this policy .... the dilemma is how to deal with the other 5%.

posted by cixelsyd at 10:36 AM on March 15

I think the call on the ice was the correct call. Had it been against the glass instead of a stanchion, it would have been a minor, maybe. I have been reffing for 12 years now from the little kids all the way up to college and junior and stuff like this happens. Chara wasn't playing outside of the game on this. It was unfortunate, but part of the game. For them to open up an outside investigation is stupid. Are they going to put a warrant out for Chara's arrest so he can never play in Montreal again? It's all a stunt.

Injuries happen. No one opened an investigation when Burish got his neck cut by a skate as if someone used a weapon on him. Yeah, that's way out of context, but so is calling in the police for a body check.

posted by pettym at 01:00 PM on March 15

Yes, this will go exactly nowhere. It's just pomp.

But the NHL should still pull its collective head from its ass. For a host of reasons.

posted by WeedyMcSmokey at 05:41 PM on March 15

But the NHL should still pull its collective head from its ass. For a host of reasons.

Don`t expect that anytime soon .. Bettman`s apparently inked for another term. It`s debatable if the NHL actually has a head.

posted by cixelsyd at 12:22 AM on March 16

You're not logged in. Please log in or register.